Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Q&A: Dream Home Decorator

EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
Embargo is up in approximately half an hour, so if you have any pack related questions you can post them here and I'll answer them if and when I can.

Thank you to the EA Game Changers program for Early Access to this pack.

Comments

• Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Thank you for doing a Q&A! I'm on the fence about buying it. Do you consider the interior designer career to be replayable? What is your favorite furniture piece in the pack and why?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for doing a Q&A! I'm on the fence about buying it. Do you consider the interior designer career to be replayable? What is your favorite furniture piece in the pack and why?

It's very replayable. There are lots of gig types and if you multiply this by the number of occupied homes and venues available you would still not completely renovate most of the lots on normal aging. If you change sim preferences over time, play rotationally having kids, or use SP mods like MCCC then there's even more variety as occupied homes and household preference pools change over time.

My favourites are the modular cabinetry system and the countertop ovens. The modular shelving cubes are fab for displaying collections. The ovens can be placed on top of the DU minifridges, so they are great for Tiny Homes and a Guru said they can be used in Dorms/University housing, but I haven't tested this.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited May 2021
    Is it buggy? 😄

Also, can you slot a countertop oven and a stove on the same counter?

Edit: oh, and what degree you should choose for a new career? Fine arts?

Thank you!
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Is there anything unique about the pack that would entice people not so into building?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Is it buggy? 😄

Some gigs are currently buggy. This is down to specific build permissions based on what is required in the gig. E.G. For a room renovation you can't build walls. We are reporting them as we find them though.

You can use an in-counter oven and a countertop oven on the same tile, but it seems kind of redundant as they do the same job and could only be used by one sim at a time that way.

Edit: oh, and what degree you should choose for a new career? Fine arts?

I just checked and it seems to be missing from both art degrees. I think they said Fine Arts, but can't confirm as it looks like it was missed during implementation. All the practical arts seem to be under this though, whereas the theoretical stuff (like Critic) is under Art History.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Is there anything unique about the pack that would entice people not so into building?

I'm not really a patient builder, but I like interior design. The way picking gigs works it allows you to avoid Room Additions and Level Additions and just stick to renovations if you want.

If you include interior design in the term "building" then there is less you might enjoy. There's the kid/toddler play tent, the extra Décor Style preference category (sims will react to items in their environment, and discuss with other sims), and the new TV channel builds Handiness as well as giving different 2 moods for ID and non-ID sims. Even if you don't personally build, you may want it for the houses on the Gallery.
  • Options
    @EmmaVane thank you for the answers! :)

I've realized I mixed up a stove and an oven 😅 sorry, English isn't my first language. I meant can you place an oven under a stovetop?
    Like that:
    5Mefy2r3Teg.jpg?size=720x765&quality=96&sign=b931fc22f8336773db0b0e2cad1ef045&type=album
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I've realized I mixed up a stove and an oven 😅 sorry, English isn't my first language. I meant can you place an oven under a stovetop?
    Like that:
    5Mefy2r3Teg.jpg?size=720x765&quality=96&sign=b931fc22f8336773db0b0e2cad1ef045&type=album

Yes. There are 2 versions of each, the descriptions say they are gas or electric. You can use them in any combination or on their own.

There is a visual glitch on the gas stovetop when an oven is underneath though. (The item has no depth due to the surface not cutting out correctly, like sink/window cutouts). You don't see this glitch when placed alone, so it's likely a bug. This isn't an issue with the electric stovetop as it sits on the surface and doesn't cut down into the counter.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Like that:

Yes. There are 2 versions of each, the descriptions say they are gas or electric. You can use them in any combination or on their own.

There is a visual glitch on the gas stove top when an oven is underneath though. (The item has no depth due to the surface not cutting out correctly, like sink/window cutouts). You don't see this glitch when placed alone, so it's likely a bug.

Oh, that's really cool, because if I remember correctly, with CC stovetops and ovens that's not the case, you have to place them on different counters.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited May 2021
    What happens if you have a gig at a house where the inhabitants don't have likes/and dislikes set. Do they get random likes and dislikes assigned? If so, do those likes and dislikes stick after the gig ended.

The clothing racks are supposed to be functional dressers. Is the shoe clutter also functional? Can we set the socks at home option from snowy escape with them?

You can use an in-counter oven and a countertop oven on the same tile, but it seems kind of redundant as they do the same job and could only be used by one sim at a time that way.

For gameplay purposes this won't make much difference to the separate stove but it adds realism for building . where I live most stoves and cooking tops are built in, often at the same counter so now all I need is a regular built in fridge and I can recreate my kitchen. ;) .
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    What happens if you have a gig at a house where the inhabitants don't have likes/and dislikes set. Do they get random likes and dislikes assigned? If so, do those likes and dislikes stick after the gig ended.

Yes. Random families, premades, sims made by you or gallery sims placed in your game will be assigned random preferences if you (or the gallery creator) haven't already set some for them. I'm not sure when they are applied, exactly, but they are there during the gig. The preferences remain once applied, unless you manually edit them in CAS via Manage Households.

Atreya33 wrote: »
    The clothing racks are supposed to be functional dressers. Is the shoe clutter also functional? Can we set the socks at home option from snowy escape with them?

No. I just placed all 4 in game to test and they have no interactions in Live Mode. It has been suggested to the Gurus though.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Do all counters and modular shelving come with plain black and plain white swatches ?
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    @EmmaVane thanks for checking in game.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Could you check with applying to University to see if Decorator shows up as a career for the Fine Arts or Art History Degree?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Do all counters and modular shelving come with plain black and plain white swatches ?

There's plain white, but the black is combined with light grey (black sides/handles, grey doors/inside cubbies). Plain black has been requested, but I don't know if we'll get it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    CK213 wrote: »
    Could you check with applying to University to see if Decorator shows up as a career for the Fine Arts or Art History Degree?

I already checked this and it doesn't show in game. I believe this is just an oversight though as Fine Arts (if I recall correctly) is supposed to boost the career.

If you look at the other careers boosted by both you'll notice all the practical applications of art are in Fine Arts whereas careers that use theoretical knowledge of art are in Art History.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    How are you liking the sectionals? I think that's what I'm looking forward to most. I just wish we had more than 2 versions.

Also, after you renovate a home, does it stay like that if you were to come back later to the same house to visit? Or, after the renovation is over, does it reset to how it was before you started?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I already checked this and it doesn't show in game. I believe this is just an oversight though as Fine Arts (if I recall correctly) is supposed to boost the career.

If you look at the other careers boosted by both you'll notice all the practical applications of art are in Fine Arts whereas careers that use theoretical knowledge of art are in Art History.

Thanks.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I heard that it was really buggy (to the point where it's not fun and gets unplayable) and from @somewhsome's question it seems like you've experienced some bugs too. Can you explain in more detail all the bugs that you've experienced so far?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    How are you liking the sectionals? I think that's what I'm looking forward to most. I just wish we had more than 2 versions.

They are very versatile and you can make basic chairs and sofas with them too, as well as more complicated arrangements. I do wish for more bright swatches, other than the yellow and orange tones, but that's a personal taste thing. There are lots of muted and neutral tones.

I feel like we may get more in future packs, depending on the theme (they would suit venues and more modern build styles, but not more historical build styles).

Also, after you renovate a home, does it stay like that if you were to come back later to the same house to visit? Or, after the renovation is over, does it reset to how it was before you started?

Yes. All renovations stick and remain in your save. If you are unsure about changing the lot, save it to your Library before you make any changes, and you can replace the lot when you are done.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    I heard that it was really buggy (to the point where it's not fun and gets unplayable) and from @somewhsome's question it seems like you've experienced some bugs too. Can you explain in more detail all the bugs that you've experienced so far?

I’m curious about this too plumbella said it was really bad in her video on the pack.

Also what is your personal fav feature or item added in this pack @EmmaVane
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

They are very versatile and you can make basic chairs and sofas with them too, as well as more complicated arrangements. I do wish for more bright swatches, other than the yellow and orange tones, but that's a personal taste thing. There are lots of muted and neutral tones.

I feel like we may get more in future packs, depending on the theme (they would suit venues and more modern build styles, but not more historical build styles).

Yes. All renovations stick and remain in your save. If you are unsure about changing the lot, save it to your Library before you make any changes, and you can replace the lot when you are done.

Thanks for answering!

Aw man, what if I do a really good reno and I'm happy with it and then have to reno the same house again? Saving to the gallery is a solution though like you mentioned. I kinda wish they had added a Gameplay setting for this pack over in Options that was like "don't save renovations" or something. That way each time you reno you can do it over and over again without ruining it if you actually like how the house looks and just wanna progress in your career.

Here's another question if you don't mind:
    Are you able to see which person's house you're going to? Like for example, say I like how Johnny Zest's trailer looks and don't ever wanna touch it. Could I avoid doing his renovation requests by being able to see they came from him in advance or do you only find out after where you are when you show up on the lot?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

These are the only bugs I've seen:
    • Some gigs are bugged with unavailable, but needed build tools (as they have to individually set these based on each gig, that's understandable that things get missed). If you have this issue you can avoid that specific gig type until the bug is fixed.
    • The gas stovetop doesn't cut out the counter correctly when placed on the same counter that contains an oven. This is purely visual and doesn't effect functionality. It's not an issue with the electric stovetop.
    • There's some texture/mesh clashing in CAS on a couple of pieces of clothing. You can avoid using those combos until the clash is fixed.
    • Sometimes the reveal event will end earlier than it's meant to, but this doesn't effect the gig outcome, just means you can't see everyone's reactions. You can skip this event completely if you want.
    • The degree picker from DU doesn't list the career under any degrees. I believe this is an oversight as Gurus have said one of them boosts the career (Fine Arts, I believe).
  • Options
    PlatinumblondePlatinumblonde Posts: 28 Member
    What is the highest paid gig you came across?
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited May 2021

These are the only bugs I've seen:
    • Some gigs are bugged with unavailable, but needed build tools (as they have to individually set these based on each gig, that's understandable that things get missed). If you have this issue you can avoid that specific gig type until the bug is fixed.
    • The gas stovetop doesn't cut out the counter correctly when placed on the same counter that contains an oven. This is purely visual and doesn't effect functionality. It's not an issue with the electric stovetop.
    • There's some texture/mesh clashing in CAS on a couple of pieces of clothing. You can avoid using those combos until the clash is fixed.
    • Sometimes the reveal event will end earlier than it's meant to, but this doesn't effect the gig outcome, just means you can't see everyone's reactions. You can skip this event completely if you want.
    • The degree picker from DU doesn't list the career under any degrees. I believe this is an oversight as Gurus have said one of them boosts the career (Fine Arts, I believe).

Thanks! :heart: So some of the gigs just don't work? :disappointed: Do you know which ones? I feel like it's a big deal to have entire gig-types not working.