May 28 - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the #DreamHomeDecorator Livestream HERE today, May 25, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
May 27: Today is patch day! 😃 To read the patch notes, click here!

Why I'm not afraid of Sims5 being multiplayer... and you shouldn't either!

13...Next

Comments

  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,739 Member
    edited June 5
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    1. EA KNOWS no one wants a Sims MMO. They'd have to alter the game tremendously to get it to a kid friendly state. And that would kill off a HUGE portion of their player base. So by now they have figured out that THEY do not want an MMO either.

    2. A survival sandbox model would work wonderfully for The Sims. This would be composed of options for single player, co-op play with friends and, if we're lucky, private servers where large groups of players can get together and create their own version of the game tailored to their liking. ARK, Conan Exiles, Day Z, to name just a few, do very well with this model. They also have official servers of course but I don't think the Sims would even really need those. But even if they chose to have them they'd be sure to have the other three options I've mentioned. There's no longer any reason for games not to offer both single player and multi-player options for the same game. I have a hard time believing EA doesn't have this figured out.

    sorry but i disagree with your post not all players went coop players i went the sims5 to remain full offline and single player and i am a simplayer since the sims1

    Then you didn't understand my post at all. I never said everyone wants co-op. But yes a lot of people do. And EA knows this. A lot of people are interested in other multi-player models and EA knows this too. So my main interest is in helping them figure out how to tap into a market they know exists while NOT alienating their core audience, the single players. They definitely already also know you only want a single player game. So their target needs to be to create a game that can be played in multiple modes without hurting the single player experience.

    Here are the facts from us single players, most of us are never going to touch any part of a multiplayer game, ever. We are the true hardcore single players. It's not to say there aren't players of The Sims series who wouldn't mind a multiplayer aspect, however, the core, hardcore, of actual single players will never go for it. Period. So, trying to help EA breach that gap is not going to happen because no we won't conform.
    So, EA will have to get new players and a new market who love multiplayer games, and things like Animal Cross, and Minecraft and all that other stuff we never play and never will nor ever want in The Sims....then there goes the series, it's no longer The Sims but some crazy hybrid mess, that not even WOW players would touch. It's ok if EA wants to drop their core fanbase for a new demographic of younger players who grew up in a world of multiplay, microtransactional game types, but for the actual single player it's a No, never. No matter what they do true single players will never play it. It's not something we are willing to compromise about, ever. Because we won't is why TS4 has to be sold at $5 or free, often, and or EPs and other DLC offered for free and or on sale weekly. Because of what they did to the core of the game and the series/franchise. It's best to go talk to people who have never played because yes, they will buy a multiplayer and those of us who are actual single players who never play any multiplayer game, aren't going to change.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited June 5
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    1. EA KNOWS no one wants a Sims MMO. They'd have to alter the game tremendously to get it to a kid friendly state. And that would kill off a HUGE portion of their player base. So by now they have figured out that THEY do not want an MMO either.

    2. A survival sandbox model would work wonderfully for The Sims. This would be composed of options for single player, co-op play with friends and, if we're lucky, private servers where large groups of players can get together and create their own version of the game tailored to their liking. ARK, Conan Exiles, Day Z, to name just a few, do very well with this model. They also have official servers of course but I don't think the Sims would even really need those. But even if they chose to have them they'd be sure to have the other three options I've mentioned. There's no longer any reason for games not to offer both single player and multi-player options for the same game. I have a hard time believing EA doesn't have this figured out.

    You've never played League of angels 2 before its an MMO and the ladies are very scantily dressed. In fact, there are posts in GTArcades forums for the ladies to be even more scantily clad for the fan service. With that said yes there are more elements that would have to be removed in the game overall or they would have to stress that it's a T rated game and NOT for kids. Stressing it for the kind of parents who buy their 5-year-olds Call of Duty and other games of the sort then complain about how it's too violent and mature for their 5-year-old kid when if they were actually good parents they would know these games are rated for a reason and tell their kid no you aren't old enough for this game. The same parents who bring their kids to a rated R movie when the kid is 3 then complain about how inappropriate it is for such a young child. Ratings aren't a suggestion they are there for parents to be responsible and if they are too... then they have NO right to complain about how something that isn't rated as kid-friendly. Sorry for my rant on bad parenting it's annoying when parents refuse to take responsibility for their actions involving their child.

    There are some in the community wanting a multiplayer experience. However, I would like to see it as an option for those wanting to play muli-player. I would buy it if that was the case. Also from day 1 of the release have a thread dedicated to adding friends to the game.

    I'm concerned that we'll have plumb gameplay that would make us wish for the return of Sims 4 lacklustre incomplete packs. I'm concerned that they aren't satisfied with just Freeplay and Sims Mobile as their "online" options. I'm concerned that their servers will constantly crash. I'm concerned that they want to turn a life simulator game into a competitive game. I love that we have challenges for those interested and that our own individual gameplay is all we need to play the sims. If EA was more like Rockstar I would welcome an online version of the Sims without question. Personally, I'm on the fence for an online Sims game.

    I'm concerned that we won't be able to play our own individual styles of gameplay. I'm concerned that it'll be much worse than Sims 4. I'm concerned that I'll need mods instead of a worthwhile exciting game being played vanilla. I'm concerned that players will be mean and abusive towards others. I've played online games with guys making tons of inappropriate disgusting demeaning degrading comments towards me and inappropriate actions towards my character in the game. Will there be constant moderation in our games to prevent that. Do we really want constant moderation in the game? I think if the team working on Sims 5 explained how Sims 5 would be an online game to us it might put to rest some concerns we have as a community. Will it be "online" like Sims 3? These are my concerns with a Sims game being an online game.

    We have the option to say no we won't buy Sims 5 and walk away. It's still in development. A lot can change between concept development and the release of the game.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,858 Member
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. I think it's crucial that The Sims ALWAYS have a single player, offline mode. Maybe I'm giving EA too much credit but I think, by now, they know that too. But yes there are a lot of players who would like some sort of ability to play this game with others. My husband, for instance, is an awesome builder, way better than me! But he doesn't like to decorate so much, which I absolutely love to do and will obsess over for hours. We're the perfect team! LOL So we've long wished there was a co-op mode so we could play the same game together! And yes, he's built houses for me before and put them on the exchange but that's still not quite the same thing as being able to play the same game together.

    I really like the idea of players being able to build and furnish a house together. Sort of like a virtual DIY show. I would like an element of where players could choose who builds the shell, and then allocate rooms. Working together to make a great house.

    That aspect would appeal over the normal online games I see.


    You don't really need for it to be online. People have done collabs before on lots and worlds in TS3 offline successfully.


    Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

    Screenshot-186.jpg


  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 587 Member
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    No. Just no.

    They can make more than one type of Sims games. They're done it for decades.

    What makes The Sims special is, to me, the person being able to play their own game and tell their own Sim stories.

    And I get that completely. It's my preferred mode as well. But I've played Conan Exiles on private servers, in co-op, and in single player. I do not notice any serious lack in the single player version. And I think choice is good. So for those of you who are against the game being anything but single player and with no other options... why do you fear these multiple modes will hurt the single player experience? I ask this sincerely because I think it's information EA is really going to need and they NEED to understand what they will have to do to keep their core audience, which IS single player folks, if they are dead set on pursuing other modes of play as well. So lay it out for them!

    I fear it because EA has a track record with single player games they have added multiplayer into. The single player experience suffered in both Mass Effect and Dragon Age when EA added Multiplayer to them, at least it did to me. I don't feel the quality was as good in those games once they added the multiplayer to them, they had to much of their attention divided between the two different sections of the game and the gameplay suffered for it, again in my opinion. I am sorry but no, I don't want multiplayer in the Sims and if they add it I am done with the franchise. If you want it, I wish you all luck in getting it, but it isn't for me.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 3,340 Member
    EA needs to learn that no man can serve 2 masters (markets). Attempting to do so will produce: a) cater to the first and ignore the second, b) cater to the second and ignore the first, c) attempt the impossible and come up with useless we-know-what that pleases no one, sells poorly, and is otherwise a total disaster.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,518 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    No. Just no.

    They can make more than one type of Sims games. They're done it for decades.

    What makes The Sims special is, to me, the person being able to play their own game and tell their own Sim stories.

    And I get that completely. It's my preferred mode as well. But I've played Conan Exiles on private servers, in co-op, and in single player. I do not notice any serious lack in the single player version. And I think choice is good. So for those of you who are against the game being anything but single player and with no other options... why do you fear these multiple modes will hurt the single player experience? I ask this sincerely because I think it's information EA is really going to need and they NEED to understand what they will have to do to keep their core audience, which IS single player folks, if they are dead set on pursuing other modes of play as well. So lay it out for them!

    I fear it because EA has a track record with single player games they have added multiplayer into. The single player experience suffered in both Mass Effect and Dragon Age when EA added Multiplayer to them, at least it did to me. I don't feel the quality was as good in those games once they added the multiplayer to them, they had to much of their attention divided between the two different sections of the game and the gameplay suffered for it, again in my opinion. I am sorry but no, I don't want multiplayer in the Sims and if they add it I am done with the franchise. If you want it, I wish you all luck in getting it, but it isn't for me.

    This. I don't trust EA to not lock things behind playing multiplayer.

    To get the best ending in Mass Effect 3, you had to either play multiplayer or do some tedious, boring stuff on a site. The site option is completely boring and not fun at all. It's clearly meant to try to push players to do multiplayer in an attempt to have fun while doing what needed to be done to unlock the best ending.

    Sims 3 had multiplayer aspect with Showtime and it was poorly implemented and they locked items behind it.

    If EA wants to do a multiplayer Sims, it needs to be a spin off game like they did with Sims Medieval. It does not need to be in with the main line of Sims games - ie: not Sims 5.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited June 7
    I just want a different simming experience for a change. Ever since they took off SimsOnline, sim playing has felt the same since y2K. I've been trying to work out the reason I barely play any more, and can't put my finger on the exact reason. I reckon I am just bored with it.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,481 Member
    I don't want Sims Online either, personally. I just want a co-op mode. And I must agree with those who have found themselves disappointed with Sims 4 vs Sims 3. I haven't bought anything for Sims 4 that wasn't on sale except Vampires and the magic pack. And even though I REALLY like the vampires in 4 far more than in 3 I find the loss of the open world so galling and disappointing that I seldom play Sims 4. Part of that, of course, is because I'm more involved in other (yes, multiplayer) games. But the larger part of it is my sheer disappointment in this version of the Sims. And those of you who have questioned EA's very ability to do things right certainly have their entire history on your side. What they have spoken of doing is a VERY tall order and they need to convince us that they can do it without destroying the things we love. Step one of that is to start talking to us about it instead of revealing mysterious little snippets in interviews. That's not exciting the playerbase EA, it's ticking them off. When will you ever learn?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited June 7
    I'd like them to return to the TS2 gameplay features, with TS3 object and terrain graphic style, and TS4 sim graphic style. Make that into the final offline Sims game. Then additionally, as a separate game, bring back something like The Sims Online, or perhaps a version of the sims that could be like the last SimCity offering, online, but you could operate the whole region on your own without other players joining in if you wanted.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 1,726 Member
    The only reason I dislike the idea of Sims5 being an MMORPG is I don't feel the need to share my Sims game with anyone. If and when I feel the need to play competitively, I play games that are, well, actually competitive. Not a game with friends where the only point is to be social. I have plenty of friends I can socialize with over dinner, hanging out around a firepit, attending sporting events or movies, or just sharing some togetherness while having coffee at our favorite bistro. But when it comes to my games, that's my private time, and I prefer it that way. I play on line games with a select group and we spend many evenings trying to eliminate one another in shooter games which are very competitive and very satisfying. So the idea I'd be interested in building a Sims world with other people is ludicrous to me. That is not my idea of a true Sims game. And trust me, I wouldn't spend a dime to play that type of Sims game.

    The franchise is dying. That sad fact became very clear the first time I played Sims4 then immediately forgot about it for two years. What struck me was how shallow the game was, how much was missing, and everything our Sims did and felt was played out in notifications rather than in the actions of our pixel folks. I felt as if I was playing a dummied down version of Sims2 rather than a new and improved version in the franchise. But EA had suffered some massive failures while Sims4 was in development so it had to recoup some of those losses by rushing Sims4 to market in the hope no one would notice everything about the game was subpar. Then EA tried to reassure us they had big plans to make Sims4 better. Well, it's been almost seven years and the game is still half finished in my opinion. And since EA has not had much success in creating a successful on line experience with any game, why should we trust it to create one now. I sure don't. Once EA takes the Sims franchise in that direction it won't be The Sims anymore. It will become just another MMORPG with microtransactions and loot boxes with none of the soul, humor and charm that made this game so special to so many people.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,739 Member
    edited June 7
    To follow up on your idea there is no reason not to offer both single and multiplay in one game>what happens when everyone who is a multiplayer or a single player starts gushing over an update that only contains one white shelf? How is that helpful to either one of the type of players? Because that is what will happen and no one will be happy..

    It's as someone pointed out a house divided can't stand. There have been co ops available for console players in all these console versions, but did they out sell the single player pc versions? Nope. Why not..because Sim players really don't like it. Some console players do, but those who don't play the console versions and are pc players will never go for co op, either. Or we would have all ran out and bought a PS or something and played co op versions and out sold the pc versions.

    Maxis is welcome to do whatever they want with a multiplayer, however, it's not going to fly with a vast majority of the fanbase. It's hard to accept sometimes but you might be in a niche group of people who think it would be great to build The Sims just like Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing or co op Mine Craft or any other game but The Sims has survived all these years because it was none of those things, not because it should become just like any other game out there.

    There are several reasons The Sims are unique and most players want it to remain unique. TS3 was not a favorite of many who still love TS2 because it brought changes to the game such as moodlet and buff systems. Multiplay games also expand upon buff systems and rewards. Many Sim players (for those who disagreed with moodlet and buff systems) were not impressed with the actual Sim in TS3. Of course the CASt and open world aspects etc. are impressive to a point but they don't actually care for buff systems. This is something Maxis has continued in TS4 it's why many TS2 players and who also loved TS1 will not play TS3 or TS4 all that much. They often return to TS2 instead of sticking with TS3 or TS4..those who like buff systems (because of the influence of other games, such a multiplay) are happy with buff systems.

    Many younger players of games know nothing but buff systems and want The Sims to expand on those type of buff and reward systems, instant gratification. However, some older (not all) players prefer a deeper level of gaming that many type buff systems and reward systems can't do or understand.

    The divide isn't just about multiplay but how that is handled in all multiplay games with rewards and carrots. Many of us can't stand that sort of reward and or even enjoy it when we think of a life simulator. Other people become addicted to that sort of mechanic, and why they might enjoy many type casual gaming filled with microtransactions and interactions such as in multiplay but many of us are in it for the journey never the end result nor the reward.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,518 Member
    What it boils down to is this: finite development resources of time, money, and employees.

    With just single player or just multiplayer, each aspect gets 100% of the resources given to it by the company.

    When a game has multiple types, each aspect gets on a portion of the resources given to the entire game by the company. Whether that's 50/50 or 80/20 or 20/80.

    A single player only Sims may have resources enough for 3 neighborhoods to start with that are somewhere between Sims 4 and Sims 3 with regards to open world. There are multiple different aspirations/lifetime wants. There's plenty of things to do for Sims and plenty of different ways to play the game - build, play, create Sims.

    A multiplayer only Sims may have resources enough for 3 different game modes: Similar to single player but you only control your Sim(s), a Castaway Sims style mode where it's you and a few others and you have to work together (or not) to be rescued (or not), and a Sims Medieval mode where it's a mode where a group of friends work together to form a nation and conquer other regions (either in a relaxed "co-op" mode or a competitive mode).

    But a combined one, maybe they can only do 2 neighborhoods with Sims 4 style open world and they can only do 1 multiplayer mode or 2 if one is the similar to single player mode (ie: resources can be shared). Game forces you to play both sides in order to unlock everything - to have people experience the entire game so that they didn't waste resources on it.

    Which game would you prefer if you favored a multiplayer option? The one where it can get the full resources or the one where it has to share and probably take a back seat to the single player mode given the audience this game has?

    I have no problem with a multiplayer Sims. I have a problem with how the multiplayer side would take away resources from the single player side of things as I have no interest in playing multiplayer. Not to mention, given the audience is primarily single player, it risks being so little resources given to it that it seems tacked on, is glitchy, or is barely supported or added onto as the game progresses. And if I was wanting to promote multiplayer Sims, that's not the image I would want to happen.

    I'd much rather a spin off game be made where it's just multiplayer. Where it can get all of the resources it deserves to be a good game.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top