Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod-pocolypse today! A word from a creator.

Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
edited May 2021 in General Mods Discussion
Posted on Twitter by @TURBODRIVER this morning.

3lIDMb5.png

So, after you’ve played today and before you close up your game don’t forget to:
  • Remove your mods folder to your desktop or an external drive for safe keeping.
  • Back up your saves.
  • Delete the localthumbcache file.

Tomorrow’s patch is going to be big and affect several aspects of the game. So best to be prepared and also, be patient with modders. They generally work pretty hard to get their mods back up and running for use a.s.a.p. 🙂

Edited to add - Be prepared for some cc breakage as well, especially hairs!

Edit to add:

Post edited by Pamtastic72 on

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Not the kinda-pocolypse I wanted
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Not the kinda-pocolypse I wanted

I know, I just did all of this because I can’t play for awhile still. So I cleared out all my mods and put all my cc on my external hard drive along with my saves, tray, and screenshots folders and closed my computer down for the time being. I will download the patch and then follow along here to see what broke. I expect cc hair will because of the swatch update and maybe cc couches? I don’t know though since sectionals are pack exclusive and cc couches are based on all the other regular ones that aren’t sectional.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited May 2021
    Good thing I have not updated and have played in offline mode since last month...and I did not know that the EA Desktop app did not support offline mode, yikes. Good thing I did not accept the message to try it out. Luckily you can still use Origin though I think.

As much as I would like to try out the likes/dislikes system tomorrow, I think I will wait until all mods are updated. Which could take a while, this update will probably change a lot... I hope that all cc hairs doesn't have to be updated in order to be used.

Thanks for posting, let us all be prepared for the mod-apocalypse tomorrow, better to be safe than sorry...
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    I am ready! I only have CAS and some tabletop deco CC left; flushed out all script mods in an experiment to play vanilla like a month ago. BRING IT ON!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Good thing I have not updated and have played in offline mode since last month...and I did not know that the EA Desktop app did not support offline mode, yikes. Good thing I did not accept the message to try it out. Luckily you can still use Origin though I think.

As much as I would like to try out the likes/dislikes system tomorrow, I think I will wait until all mods are updated. Which could take a while, this update will probably change a lot... I hope that all cc hairs doesn't have to be updated in order to be used.

Thanks for posting, let us all be prepared for the mod-apocalypse tomorrow, better to be safe than sorry...

I did try EA Desktop and :s . It’s not ready for prime time in my opinion. Not only can you not play offline but a bunch of games are missing, and at least when I had it, if I had TS3 installed it would uninstall TS4, then if I tried to download TS4 it would glitch out and say it couldn’t do it. Then the next time I would open the app TS3 would be uninstalled and TS4 would be installed. I could never figure out how to just have all my games installed at once. So I got mad, and rage uninstalled the app and went back to Origin.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    As usual, the only 2 mods I truly need to be able to play and save the game without the other mods being updated yet are the main ones (UI Cheats- it’s frustrating playing without this mod and then MCCC - I have so many things set that I don’t want to ruin them by not having this one installed).

That’s it. I can wait on the rest. So I’ll update my game and wait for those 2 to be updated before I actually play AND save. Usually doesn’t take them longer than a day or 2. Honestly, each patch usually makes me have fewer and fewer mods so I actually look forward to them.
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    EA desktop app huuuuum IMHO apps are made for smart phones not computers ty so much Win 10 :(
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,550 Member
    I won't bore all of you with my long tale of woe. I'm beginning to hate and fear patches. I've only been able to play the game through the standard, offline and slip in through the my home page, which just shows the covers of the base games you have, once successfully. The very next day, it wouldn't let me in. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to put on my grown girl pants and deal with it. :'(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I play vanilla, but I'm sure the patch will destroy my game too.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I already have decided that i'll play offline tomorrow. I'm only going to update the game after UI cheats, Whimsoverhaul and The Personality mod are updated. After those 3are updated, i'm fine :)
  • ailujmsailujms Posts: 27 Member
    Oh gosh, I've been playing offline since yesterday (since I thought the patch was gonna come out yesterday, but it was only the Maxis livestream). I can't wait for this update already, but I will wait, because without certain mods the game is just unplayable for me, and of course the modders should take their time to update the mods.
  • ailujmsailujms Posts: 27 Member
    P.S.: The threads here are my go-to during patches and I wanna thank everyone especially luthienrising who always compiles the list. I always tell my fellow simmers from the Discord server I'm in to check the threads out to keep updated on which mods broke/already updated.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I've gotten so used to yanking out my mods folder every time we have these new patches and packs added, I think I'm actually starting to develop a fondness for playing the game 'vanilla' (during the interim of waiting for mod/cc updates)....?

I know, right? I'm a little shocked myself by this new revelation of mod-less-ness! :o

20 years of playing the Sims with hundreds upon hundreds of cc stuff (not to mention many many mods)..... and now I'm kinda liking this whole weird new unfamiliar world of vanilla gameplay? Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined this happening to me.

Say it ain't so! :D:o:D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've gotten so used to yanking out my mods folder every time we have these new patches and packs added, I think I'm actually starting to develop a fondness for playing the game 'vanilla' (during the interim of waiting for mod/cc updates)....?

I know, right? I'm a little shocked myself by this new revelation of mod-less-ness! :o

20 years of playing the Sims with hundreds upon hundreds of cc stuff (not to mention many many mods)..... and now I'm kinda liking this whole weird new unfamiliar world of vanilla gameplay? Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined this happening to me.

Say it ain't so! :D:o:D

I have basically done the same thing. It's been months since I actually used any mod. I always take my CC folder out when a new update comes out and play totally "vanilla" for a time. Once I've read Luthienrising's bug page and find out if the CC I use (mostly clothing, occasional furniture) is going to work, then I stop playing the "new game, CC/mod free" save and go back to my Legacy one. But I play that without mods at this point. (Many of the things I used to use mods for, however, have been fixed in "updates" which is good.)

• InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ahh I knew I shouldnt have updated to the last patch last week. Ah well. Im not too worried about my mods since I dont use anything for UI or have CC furniture. I can wait a bit.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    I have CC hairs and clothing. I guess I’ll either have to play offline or just not play for a few days, to see if any of the stuff I use is affected.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited May 2021
    I have CC hairs and clothing. I guess I’ll either have to play offline or just not play for a few days, to see if any of the stuff I use is affected.

CC hairs will hopefully still work... the new colors will most likely not work with them but hopefully the existing colors and the cc hair will still be usable. I guess we have to wait and see. Keep an eye out for Luthienrising's broken mods thread.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,463 Member
    The days between patch updates, pack releases and mod updates are Vanilla Build Days for me and man do I love ‘em!

I don’t typically use Build/Buy CC ( except for some boarded windows because DARNIT we need those! 😡) so it’s really a no brainer for me.

I’m like those ridiculous Sims who are always happy no matter what. 🤡
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I suspect this will be a rough patch all around but this is one of those times when I will likely delete my entire mod folder and start over... play a vanilla save for a bit while mods (and CC?) get updated.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2021
    I can't be the only one who puts his computer into flightmode (or plugs the internet cable) before launching Sims 4 to avoid patches? That way I can still enjoy my mods and take the patch when the mods are updated. Currently I'm on Paranormal SP game version, but intend to update for Likes & Dislikes sometime later.

(In theory putting Origin offline should be enough, but I'm a bit paranoid in this regard).
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yeah this is me right now...
    Chicken-Little-e1363697849480.jpg

Hoping things gets patched soon, but gonna be rough for a bit.

I'm in here through Steam, so I put that in offline mode as well.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it: