Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EP Hints: Scotland, Farming, Cottage Core (Okay but I was ON THE MONEY, mostly)

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited May 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    If you're playing a two-generational household where each sim has different hobbies, the game forces you to build a skyscraper if you want to include a gym, library, music hall, a lab... because many TS4 objects are quite large.

You're right that many TS4 objects are too large. But this is... not really a farm thing?

For that matter, I'd be hard pressed to picture any farm house I've ever been to in real life... and I've been to many.. where the owners had even one of a gym, music hall, or lab, much less all of the above. A couple of bookshelves and a piano, sure, but not every home has to be fitted out for every conceivable hobby. That's what venues are for. Even with loading screens, I've never understood why people feel the need to pack every single thing their sim might ever want to do all into one residential lot.

While I agree that venues are a thing, they're not great for having different sims work on different things. If you want to have one sim working on their logic skill, and another sim working on their fitness skill, you can't start one sim playing chess and take the other to the gym. Or drop one sim off at the gym while taking the other to the park. Yes, there's the "build skill" interaction on the sim's icon, but it's not always consistent in which skills it offers to have a sim work on.

You also can't start Dad working on dinner and then pop over to the library while he does so. He may be able to work on his cooking skill, but there won't be any dinner ready when you get home.

I make multifunctional lots, or download them for this reason. I have a DJ with 3 other working sims and the others could not complete their home work assignment, sleep and eat at home while he would work, so I made a night club where they could complete their work assignment eat, and sleep for work the next morning.... a hotel of sorts under the nightclub. I have a lot of different multi functional lots.
  • Options
    jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I would love Faeries that weren't Celtic/European in origin. But I fear it would throw off too many people who equate Fairy to Tinkerbell type pixies

How about...

• Options
    Jennifer_Jennifer_ Posts: 42 Member
    Would love a world inspired by the English / French countryside, like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a6/43/26/a643261c3961337bba17d4fb163d6d03.jpg

It's what I've always wanted in a farming pack
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited June 2021
    I would love this theme to be the next pack. If it’s related to some type of British/Irish folklore and rural world it would be the most relatable pack for me being from the uk and if it has fairies then it’s an added bonus. I’m really excited to see what the expansion pack is as from the limited description it sounds a pack I would enjoy.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    That sounds really good, I hope they do something like that. I love when The Sims does European inspired worlds so if it includes that I'm sold.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I jumped on here to say that I've been binge watching the show Outlander, and we need a world based on Scotland. It is so freaking beautiful and magical. I don't know if we're for sure getting it for the upcoming EP, but I hope they give us one before they stop working on Sims 4.
  • Options
    SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
    A detailed super post bc I've had a lot of coffee and I feel like sharing:

I find it increasingly likely that the next EP will in fact be a farming pack, but not the industrialized mid-western American cliche (please let me be right, do not want another cookie-cutter mid-west USA yee-haw town). I think, and very strongly hope, that farming will instead come along with an even older cliche, small-scale farming and flock tending in rural Europe. This approach would generally fit within the sims 4's engine and ethos much better than industrial farming imo.

For this theoretical pack, I imagine tending sheep, chickens, cows, horses, goats, and other small-pasture animals would feature prominently. Perhaps we'd also see some hand-tilled farming in small fields and/or significant upgrades to gardening. Other options could be canning, weaving, horseback riding, etc. If Scotland were in fact the locale, some Scottish cultural elements would presumably make their way in as well: bagpipes (plz?), haggis 🤢 , and countless tartan patterns featured on kilts, etc. The main architectural style would be traditional masonry, stone, and wood with a strong dose of Gaelic/Celtic theming, think real-life Scottish highlands or fairytale countryside. Generally, this pack would be a perfect chance for the team to introduce stronger #CottageCore building, design, and gameplay elements. This would be a win considering how popular the cottage core movement has become globally.

Reasoning for this theory:
    A: Many of us can remember a "Scottish Highlands" option being featured in the potential new worlds survey question in early 2020. That provides the initial context for these subsequent observations.
    B: In today's Dream Home Decorator livestream, SimGuruJill showcased the new "utili-kilt," CAS item. While I am personally super excited to finally have a kilt in any case, kilts are super random outside of the context of Scotland, and there is no common cliche of contractors, handymen, etc. wearing anything like a utili-kilt. It is goofy, cheeky, and very Sims-like, I get it, but at the same time its random inclusion now seems highly suspicious given the context of the world survey (utili-kilt screen below).
    C: Later in the same live stream, when showcasing the new interior decorator career, the client was flipping through style choices on the tablet. This animation included a very obvious tartan pattern on the tablet screen (screen below). For those unaware, tartan is the patterned cloth used to make kilts and other garments. Each Scottish clan has a unique tartan.
    D:The new child's tent coming in Dream Home Decorator, as others have pointed out, features a swatch with various farm animals, a traditional [American] red barn, etc.
    E: The cluttery wall art object that came with Paranormal stuff included a Celtic plate and a photo of what appeared to be a manor house on a moor, a view very evocative of Scotland (screen below).
    F: At the end of the Dream Home Decorator trailer is a brief moment where they show a screen that features the cow plant, cow plant artwork, and three instances of that funny little brass-like cow wall hanging (screen below). That is a lot of cow-themed objects in one place. #sus
    G: Many have been quick to point out that "bond with nature" (the official descriptive hint of the next pack) doesn't seem to fit the contemporary idea of farming. However, if we think along the lines of traditional/small-scale provincial farming, (raising chickens in your yard, canning homegrown fruits and veggies, raising goats, etc.) this description stands to make a lot more sense. At the end of the day, every plant and animal is still a part of the natural world and was at one point in their past wild/feral, before domestication and any potential genetic modification. Farming does at its core require a deep connection with nature, even if that core idea is often lost in modern industrial farming. I really doubt the sims team would have the time/interest/animation and modeling budget to build a pack based around the themes of unnatural farming, aside from maybe a basic tractor. It doesn't fit the ethos of the game. Country cottages with stone-walled pastures, sheep shearing, horseback riding, and canned goods are much more in alignment with this dev team's ethos.
    H: Regarding the previous sim guru teasing on Twitter: a new occult, be it fae or werewolf, would fit nicely in the mystique of the highlands.

Again, this is all speculation and is based entirely on my opinion and the context that I've perceived. I reserve the right to be 100% incorrect in every statement and not care in the slightest. Happy Simming!

51202659347_ebcbbb0181.jpgutili kilt by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
    51204151224_523a654a4d.jpgtartan by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
    50879044848_f99b0b1458.jpg01-26-21_3-35-30 PM by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
    51203582888_32ebde175c.jpgtrailer by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr

It is in fact NOT a midwestern American farm town (as confirmed by Gamechanger post cards this morning)!!!! THANK YOU SIMS TEAM! Cottage core here we come 😂❤️
    51232418729_77cf685e88_k.jpgpost 1 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
    51232708365_044b69b802_k.jpgpost 2 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    About self-sufficiency? That's more like Sims 4 small lots than Sims 3 wide open spaces. This might go further on Off the Grid objects, maybe a watermill and market gardening and on the Eco-lifestyle theme. I hope Mrs Crumplebottom does return in it - plus her handbag.
  • Options
    Simzilla_7Simzilla_7 Posts: 141 Member
    I think it's Scotland/Outlander themed Ep.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Simzilla_7 wrote: »

The place name is definitely a Southern England structure. It's all those Cotswolds villages, "[Somewhere]-on-[River]".
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    I am wondering if this pack will come with the ability to create your own pond. We usually get a new build feature that is included in the pack update like platforms for Snowy Escape.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member

The place name is definitely a Southern England structure. It's all those Cotswolds villages, "[Somewhere]-on-[River]".

True, though there are a load of those towns and villages throughout England, though many are in the south. Lots of - Avon in the Midlands and some others further North. Though Henley-on-Thames was my first thought as it's close in name, but that's probably a coincidence and my bias as I grew up near there. Also feeling Stratford-upon-Avon & Shakespeare from this. I'm excited, trying not to get my hopes up though.
  • Options
    SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member

True, though there are a load of those towns and villages throughout England, though many are in the south. Lots of - Avon in the Midlands and some others further North. Though Henley-on-Thames was my first thought as it's close in name, but that's probably a coincidence and my bias as I grew up near there. Also feeling Stratford-upon-Avon & Shakespeare from this. I'm excited, trying not to get my hopes up though.

I was thinking the same. There are at least one or two in the Highlands. Grantown-on-Spey comes to mind.
  • Options
    Red182Red182 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="Reedfish;c-17891789"]I was hoping someone would start a thread like this :)

I also noticed the utili-kilt, but I still thinking that might be hinting at a Scottish werewolves pack in October. The highlands looking picture being in the Paranormal pack just makes me think it's hinting at an occult pack, and I don't think they'd do either farming or werewolves justice if they put them in a pack together. Just my thoughts though!

I do think farming will be more rural than industrial when it comes to the Sims though, just because I think that's more in the Sims style. And we did see that farming tent, and I did notice that 'cow' room in the trailer. Also, I caught a tiny glimpse of the decor options when they were showing off Likes and Dislikes, and I don't know how common French Country is in furniture, but it caught my eye, especially after Country Kitchen. Possibly a French farming world? They are famous for their food. That might be a stretch, but then I also saw 'Gothic Farmhouse' in the list. Is that a thing? It doesn't sound like a thing. There were a couple of 'farmhouse' options in the list, actually. Seems like a hint to me.

Also noticed a cardigan in CAS that seemed to be decorated with horses. They said there was a lot of Scandinavian influence in the new pack, and Dala Horses are a thing, but still. Seems specific. And there seemed to be a few baking hints in the new stuff as well - the tent with a farm swatch also had a design covered in sweets and gingerbread, which they used in the livestream. And 'cupcake' lights. As well as the new cooking/stove options. Maybe if they're going to let us get milk from cows and eggs from chickens, they're also going to throw in a few new baking recipes.

Fingers crossed I'm right, because I would love all of this.[/quote]

I already see a ton of Scandinavian influence for this pack. It’s interesting because at the bottom of the postcard looks like a nisse or a tomte which is basically a Scandinavian gnome and it’s Hartford at Bagley. Bagley was a heavily Scandinavian settle town in Minnesota. Plus the mountains in the background and the design of the houses and what look like brick roads...I’ve been to Norway and I can see it for sure!
  • Options
    ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member

I was thinking the same. There are at least one or two in the Highlands. Grantown-on-Spey comes to mind.

I mean, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne is a pretty famous example in the North, although it's 'upon' rather than 'on'. I think it's a general British thing (as a Brit)
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

I suppose it's also still possible that the world over all could have a more generally British feel, and then we could get a single neighborhood that's a bit more Scottish?

I have a feeling I'm going to like it a lot either way. I just hope it's a nice big world, because I know I'm going to want to make good use of it. Please, please, please don't give us a gorgeous world that's only DSV-sized.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I suppose it's also still possible that the world over all could have a more generally British feel, and then we could get a single neighborhood that's a bit more Scottish?

I have a feeling I'm going to like it a lot either way. I just hope it's a nice big world, because I know I'm going to want to make good use of it. Please, please, please don't give us a gorgeous world that's only DSV-sized.

I kind of hope they do this. Only because I don't believe they will ever do a specific world for Scotland, Wales or even Ireland. So this may be the best chance to get traditional stuff for them. Maybe in different areas of the world and include CAS and build items for all of them. I mean El Selvadora Selvadorada takes stuff from lots of South America and I worry that's all they'll ever do for the continent, so I'd be happy with a mixture in this lack.
  • Options
    I kind of hope they do this. Only because I don't believe they will ever do a specific world for Scotland, Wales or even Ireland. So this may be the best chance to get traditional stuff for them. Maybe in different areas of the world and include CAS and build items for all of them. I mean El Selvadora takes stuff from lots of South America and I worry that's all they'll ever do for the continent, so I'd be happy with a mixture in this lack.

Yes, Selvadorada is a great example. Windenburg is sort of a melange, too, so it definitely wouldn't be without precedent.
  • Options
    I kind of hope they do this. Only because I don't believe they will ever do a specific world for Scotland, Wales or even Ireland. So this may be the best chance to get traditional stuff for them. Maybe in different areas of the world and include CAS and build items for all of them. I mean El Selvadora takes stuff from lots of South America and I worry that's all they'll ever do for the continent, so I'd be happy with a mixture in this lack.

Yes, Selvadorada is a great example. Windenburg is sort of a melange, too, so it definitely wouldn't be without precedent.

Woops ironic autocorrect there, lol.

I wish we would get more worlds with distinct countries, like we have 10 worlds for the USA and then 1 to encompass all of South America which is kind of frustrating and disproportionate. Though I have no hope for many more new worlds, so now I just hope they include as much as possible when they do non USA worlds as I worry it's all we'll ever get :(.
  • Options
    Woops ironic autocorrect there, lol.

I wish we would get more worlds with distinct countries, like we have 10 worlds for the USA and then 1 to encompass all of South America which is kind of frustrating and disproportionate. Though I have no hope for many more new worlds, so now I just hope they include as much as possible when they do non USA worlds as I worry it's all we'll ever get :(.

Oh, yeah, I'd still love to see as many more new countries and cultures represented as possible, in both destination and residential worlds (even better if they follow the Snowy Escape model going forward, where a world can be either/both).
  • Options
    PoppyErstwhilePoppyErstwhile Posts: 29 Member
    On one hand, I completely understand that they can never include every single country/nation in TS4, but I admit I am a little bit tired of England-inspired worlds. Britechester is based on England too. Windenburg is based on Germany - but the general look of the architecture there also kinda reminds me of small English towns (maybe it's just me?).

I would love for this EP to be inspired by Scotland as some of you suggested, that could bring at least some diversity and the Scottish folklore would fit in nicely too (give me mysterious fairies who kidnap people!). But next time I hope that IF there is a pack inspired by Europe, I wish it was something completely different (Southern Europe, Scandinavian Europe, Central Europe etc.).

But as a European I can honestly say: I don't need any more packs based on Europe. There are many countries across the world with amazing and distinctive architecture, so I hope the creators of TS4 will make use of it! And I wouldn't be mad if they added more fantasy/sci-fi inspired worlds with completely original styles either.
  • Options
    On one hand, I completely understand that they can never include every single country/nation in TS4, but I admit I am a little bit tired of England-inspired worlds. Britechester is based on England too. Windenburg is based on Germany - but the general look of the architecture there also kinda reminds me of small English towns (maybe it's just me?).

I would love for this EP to be inspired by Scotland as some of you suggested, that could bring at least some diversity and the Scottish folklore would fit in nicely too (give me mysterious fairies who kidnap people!). But next time I hope that IF there is a pack inspired by Europe, I wish it was something completely different (Southern Europe, Scandinavian Europe, Central Europe etc.).

But as a European I can honestly say: I don't need any more packs based on Europe. There are many countries across the world with amazing and distinctive architecture, so I hope the creators of TS4 will make use of it! And I wouldn't be mad if they added more fantasy/sci-fi inspired worlds with completely original styles either.

I'm a Brit and I agree. I wouldn't mind more European worlds if they were very different. A mediterranean world, a scandinavian world, an Eastern European world, those would be different enough for me.

At least this pack is going more rural so it shouldn't be too similar to Britechester, as that one was very university/city focused and isn't representative of a lot of the UK.

From what we've seen so far (which is barely anything but that won't stop me speculating lol) it isn't necessarily specifically English, it could be anywhere in the England, Wales Scotland or even Ireland really. Or may be a sims style mishmash of different cultures.

Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic for this pack.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    But next time I hope that IF there is a pack inspired by Europe, I wish it was something completely different (Southern Europe, Scandinavian Europe, Central Europe etc.).
    I want a Portugal pack. Depending on the location, you can have has beautiful beaches, old cobblestone paths, a lake with two different colors, unique architecture (that would work well with both Jungle Adventure and Couryard Oasis), castles, sports, and tons of other goodies that would set it apart from the other European packs.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Saw on Twitter that DevonBumpkin might have helped with this pack somehow. :)