Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EP Hints: Scotland, Farming, Cottage Core (Okay but I was ON THE MONEY, mostly)

Comments

• WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i hope so would be great
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    OMG, yes please!

- Free-grazing sheep/cows/chickens/goats
    - Stone cottages with small farming plots
    - Barley, oats, potato crops
    - Homemade canning and cheese making
    - Grain mills
    - Wool production and looms for making tartan wool fabrics
    - Small village farming market
    - Traditional kilts, tams, waist pouches, socks, spats
    - Bagpipes
    - Bodhran drums
    - Fiddles
    - Tin whistles, flutes, shephard's pipes
    - Traditional pubs with pub food and live bands
    - Gaelic/Celtic folklore (like fairies and wisps and kelpies and the Loch Ness monster)

I'm crossing my fingers and toes and praying to the gaming gawds for a farming pack set in the Scottish Highlands!

Pretty please with sugar on top....
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    OMG, yes please!

- Grain mills
    - Bagpipes
    - Bodhran drums
    - Fiddles
    - Gaelic/Celtic folklore (like fairies and wisps and kelpies and the Loch Ness monster)

I'm crossing my fingers and toes and praying to the gaming gawds for a farming pack set in the Scottish Highlands!

And if you have Cats and Dogs, a chance to train your collie to round up the sheep!

I doubt if it will be Scotland though as Maxis hasn't done an African world yet and they might do that next.
  • jomilejjomilej Posts: 190 Member

The Loch Ness Monster is in Get Together (well the sim equivalent of it)
  • ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    I cannot imagine the approach of this EP different from the one you propose in your post. A question for everyone, do the images that appear in young children when they play vary over time or are they always the same? Thanks! I was curious because I don't usually play with small children but I noticed that while I was playing with their dolls was imagining a horse, a unicorn, cars and a rainbow ... That obviously caught my attention. Do your know if they were always the same images?
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    edited May 2021
    If they actually put animals you can slaughter and eat into the game, I'll be delighted. I get that Sims has a certain Bay Area hippie vibe to what you can and can't do, but I want farm-to-table burgers! Or the creation of a delicious Speyside single malt for sipping. Or making Buckfast for a more...Glaswegian take on Bonnie Scotland, if ye ken what I'm sayin' tae ye, ya bloody (expletive), noo kindly (expletive) off...

Oh, and if I can re-enact the infamous scene from Star Trek TNG's "Sub Rosa" with a Scottish ghost sim...
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Could a Scottish setting include the possibility of fairies or fey-like creatures?

Absolutely. Most of the lore surrounding the fae actually does come from Ireland and Scotland. So it would certaintly be an ideal setting.

But if the team are planning on making a Scottish-themed farming pack, I would prefer faeries not to be a part of it. They need their own pack. I don't expect that the team would go super into detail and include every type of fae (as there is so many) but I would love to see them touch on the classification system a bit, even if just Seelie, Unseelie, and Solitary.
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    If they actually put animals you can slaughter and eat into the game, I'll be delighted. I get that Sims has a certain Bay Area hippie vibe to what you can and can't do, but I want farm-to-table burgers! Or the creation of a delicious Speyside single malt for sipping. Or making Buckfast for a more...Glaswegian take on Bonnie Scotland, if ye ken what I'm sayin' tae ye, ya bloody (expletive), noo kindly (expletive) off...

Oh, and if I can re-enact the infamous scene from Star Trek TNG's "Sub Rosa" with a Scottish ghost sim...

I love this.

I've met a lot of hippies over my 42 years. Most are "EAT ALL THE MEAT THINGS! THEY WOULD EAT YOU IF GIVEN THE CHANCE!" Whereas a lot of the vegans I've met like to think they're Hippies, but are actually Hipsters, some staunch about veganism, absolutely. You find those. And I respect them. But most are the "I'M VEGAN! RESPECT THAT! BE LIKE ME!" But then they go eat meat sometimes/certain things when it suits them. lol Sorry, brah. I can't take vegans who eat hot dogs seriously.

And I still adore the four old hippies who made me eat black bear, moose, quail eggs, and shark when I was squeamish about it. All at different times, mind you. Living off the land often means jiving with the natural order of things. lol
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Could a Scottish setting include the possibility of fairies or fey-like creatures?

Absolutely. Most of the lore surrounding the fae actually does come from Ireland and Scotland. So it would certaintly be an ideal setting.

But if the team are planning on making a Scottish-themed farming pack, I would prefer faeries not to be a part of it. They need their own pack. I don't expect that the team would go super into detail and include every type of fae (as there is so many) but I would love to see them touch on the classification system a bit, even if just Seelie, Unseelie, and Solitary.

I like this idea, if only because it'll segregate the fae alongside vampires and spellcasters in the land of Game Packs I Won't Buy—my simworld is generally an occult-free zone except for the occasional stray alien or mermaid, but aliens once discovered leave cool-looking gravestones after being executed for interstellar espionage so they're not a total loss and mermaids are part of the whole Sulani vibe and generally don't venture onto dry land where my playable sims live (the three basegame areas plus San Myshuno for the most part.) I just wish my gourmet-minded, seafood-loving sims could figure out a way to cook them.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Interesting thing, Japan has as many or not more fairy types. There's actually fairy myths world over, even some Native American ones as I learnt today! But yes I know I think of the British ones as I grew up with them.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Hoverael wrote: »
    While i would love to see a pack based around Scotland for my fellows to the north, so everyone get an appreciation of what the traditional Scottish people are like. However i think there is a real good opportunity to add in some traditional Irish and Welsh stuff and people of such backgrounds in there as well considering the whole Gaelic theme. I can see the potential of something in that direction.

The rest of it you might be reading too much into and could be entirely coincidental.

As some one with a lot of connections with Wales I'd honestly expect them to do a mishmash and call it good, like they did with the Jungle Adventure world and Sulani.

Medieval sims in TS4 :tongue:
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Celtic mythology is full of Faeries and imps of all kinds. It's as good a place as any to have a mysterious forest.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,377 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Celtic mythology is full of Faeries and imps of all kinds. It's as good a place as any to have a mysterious forest.

I think they would need to find some faeries that everyone is familiar with, otherwise they will be greatly ignored like the spirits from Sulani and Mt. Komorebi.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I notice in dream house there is a lot of tartan patterns on a lot of the clothing, including the kilt. I wonder if that could be a hint.
  • jomilejjomilej Posts: 190 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »

I think they would need to find some faeries that everyone is familiar with, otherwise they will be greatly ignored like the spirits from Sulani and Mt. Komorebi.

That's a good point but I hope they could find an interesting creatures that the majority knows (because the most popular creatures are the western ones like werewolves and faeries)! For exemple if they decide to introduce dragons one day, they could use the asian dragons instead of the medieval ones? Mt Komorebi was a missed opportunity to introduce Tanukis. There are fairy legends and yths too in Africa, for exemple in Benin, there are creature called Aziza and they're the pure equivalent to fairies. In African cultures there are also equivalent creatures to werewolves like "werehyenas" (not called like that but it's to give the idea) or werejackals e.g.
    It's not hard to find the lore and myths byt the team need to invest more than having them like a hidden features or reccurent features like in IL and SE.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    I hope it won't be set in a Scottish inspired world to be honest. We already have Windenburg which has a rural area very reminiscent of rural Scotland (I know it's based on Germany but rural areas are much the same here in the UK aswell). I hope we'll get a world that's new and interesting instead. We already have enough rural cold country inspired neighborhoods in this game, and there's so many other parts of the world that are missing that I'd like to see.

It's very unlikely but I'm hoping for an Italian or Greek inspired world for it as there's absolutely nothing reminiscent of the Mediterranean in this game at the moment and that'd be a great setting for it, and they could also include vineyards with it as well.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    [quote="Onverser;c-17896220"]I hope it won't be set in a Scottish inspired world to be honest. We already have Windenburg which has a rural area very reminiscent of rural Scotland (I know it's based on Germany but rural areas are much the same here in the UK aswell).[/quote]

I was trying to imagine the culture of a very Scottish German village would be like, but then I remembered
    Das Laird von MacGyver exists. German Sims rrrrolling their rrrs in quite the wrong ways, Frrrrrau.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    I hope for a Switzerland Mountain world or for a French country world with lavender fields.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I fear a Swiss mountain so soon after Mt Komorebi with its snowy sports is unlikely
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

Interesting thing, Japan has as many or not more fairy types. There's actually fairy myths world over, even some Native American ones as I learnt today! But yes I know I think of the British ones as I grew up with them.

That is really interesting to know. I'm not to up-to-date with Japanese mythology honestly, so I wasn't aware of that. But that is pretty cool indeed.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited May 2021
    I would love Faeries that weren't Celtic/European in origin. But I fear it would throw off too many people who equate Fairy to Tinkerbell type pixies
    Onverser wrote: »
    I hope it won't be set in a Scottish inspired world to be honest. We already have Windenburg which has a rural area very reminiscent of rural Scotland (I know it's based on Germany but rural areas are much the same here in the UK aswell). I hope we'll get a world that's new and interesting instead. We already have enough rural cold country inspired neighborhoods in this game, and there's so many other parts of the world that are missing that I'd like to see.

It's very unlikely but I'm hoping for an Italian or Greek inspired world for it as there's absolutely nothing reminiscent of the Mediterranean in this game at the moment and that'd be a great setting for it, and they could also include vineyards with it as well.

Until there is a rural world without roads that my sims can live in I won't be happy. I want a dirt track world D:
    edited May 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I would love Faeries that weren't Celtic/European in origin. But I fear it would throw off too many people who equate Fairy to Tinkerbell type pixies

Honestly faerie myth round the world is all the same. Mischievous or downright dangerous earth/water type spirits that need to be appeased. This Tinkerbell nonsense is more media than 'reality', have to say I adored the ride on train set that Ts3 had). Every one can have their pretty midgets but please can I get some actually dangerous elements too? And some kind of appease them actions, my fam still put out cream and honey for the garden sprites :)
    Post edited by CelSims on
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    OMG, yes please!

- Grain mills
    - Bagpipes
    - Bodhran drums
    - Fiddles

Potatoes are already in game.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited May 2021
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    If you're playing a two-generational household where each sim has different hobbies, the game forces you to build a skyscraper if you want to include a gym, library, music hall, a lab... because many TS4 objects are quite large.

You're right that many TS4 objects are too large. But this is... not really a farm thing?

For that matter, I'd be hard pressed to picture any farm house I've ever been to in real life... and I've been to many.. where the owners had even one of a gym, music hall, or lab, much less all of the above. A couple of bookshelves and a piano, sure, but not every home has to be fitted out for every conceivable hobby. That's what venues are for. Even with loading screens, I've never understood why people feel the need to pack every single thing their sim might ever want to do all into one residential lot.

I have many multifunctional lots, but they are venues not residential.