The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could TS4 be the single player offline component for TS5?

The wondering came over the weekend regarding the possibility that TS4 is the off line element that will run concurrently with online TS5. The reasoning being:
Statements from EA land that TS4 will be around 'for a long, long time'
The increasing probability, from such info as we have, that TS5 will be multi-player online
Recent updates/patches seem to be attempting to address some of our long standing issues & complaints
TS4 serving as the offline element = ZERO development cost/effort regarding putting an offline component into TS5
The single player crowd is pacified and the online multi crowd get what they want with no compromise
Should the online venture explode in EA's face, again, there will be no need for a mad scramble to come up with something viable (as with TS4 originally) as the bacon saver will already be in place.

Just a thought/wondering, not even up to speculation level, but worth putting out for consideration.

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's quite possible, I've wondered that myself.

If it is, that will make me extremely sad! Just because there's so many build limitations in TS4:
    • No CAW (or even the ability to just remove objects from the world and delete the fake houses and back drops or add our own, such as adding playground equipment to lots, etc)
    • No ability to build our own apartments
    • No swimming in every world
    • Worlds small with too few houses

Those are my personal main reasons for wanting a TS5 to come and not wanting to personally continue with TS4

(I have more, like no colorwheel or CASt and the ability to ALL objects in both BB and CAS but those things I can just deal with since I have for the last 7 years).
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    No ability to add new vacant lots in worlds where we want, no water tool, the few terrain tools we do have don't work as well as the TS2 ones - at least for me, limited number of roofs - including proper mansard that provides usable space with windows, so many more. With you on this!
  • YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    edited May 2021
    I had the same thought when they announced S4 will be around for a much longer time...
    With the introduction of kits its even more likely to stick around

The packs themselves offer much less content than Sims 3 expansions. one S3 expansion is basically 3+++ sims 4 packs and plenty of stuff is still missing. If theyre gonna do them all its gonna take them so many years. (content release is really slow imo, but maybe im wrong and its because they announce an announcement 10 times in a row before revealing anything and its taking months to the first point)

I'm very sure S5 will not be the game most simmers imagine or will lack these specific core singleplayer contents. Sims 5 probably will be some kind of Life is Strange'esque singleplayer with a basic sandbox-mode(like Sims Story Life or whatever its called) and main focus on the MMO/Online Gaming content. Gameplay may even be shaped through the content creators themselves via some kind of CC/Mods Launcher with a subfee and a shop for exklusive CaS/BuildBuy. so you basically create your own game to your likings.. I think EA recognized the influence of CC creators content being core beloved gameplay for many many players. they can even cut so much more budget than they already did

sadly, this is the future of online gaming now, this is truly min*gamequality*/max*money* profit. EA being such greedy company and watching all other companies do it they wanna do it with the Sims now. Its one of the biggest games out there so there is no reason not to do it for them. it will happen..
    Post edited by Yuna on
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2021
    The wondering came over the weekend regarding the possibility that TS4 is the off line element that will run concurrently with online TS5. The reasoning being:
    Statements from EA land that TS4 will be around 'for a long, long time'
    The increasing probability, from such info as we have, that TS5 will be multi-player online
    Recent updates/patches seem to be attempting to address some of our long standing issues & complaints
    TS4 serving as the offline element = ZERO development cost/effort regarding putting an offline component into TS5
    The single player crowd is pacified and the online multi crowd get what they want with no compromise
    Should the online venture explode in EA's face, again, there will be no need for a mad scramble to come up with something viable (as with TS4 originally) as the bacon saver will already be in place.

Just a thought/wondering, not even up to speculation level, but worth putting out for consideration.

This is a really good idea. It wouldn’t feel that everything you bought for TS4 was now redundant because you’d have to start buying TS5 items.
    You’d still be able to play your TS4 game and it would still be supported.
    Thanks!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • wormofthebookwormofthebook Posts: 176 Member
    edited May 2021
    I honestly don’t think the game can handle a 15 year lifespan. With more bugs with each patch and the spaghetti code nature of TS4, I think the game is starting to show its age a bit which seems like it is why there is a big focus on bug fixing now. TS3 had the similar issues of bugs at the end of its run, so I can definitely see TS5 coming in the next 2-4 years. In terms of whether or not TS4 will be the offline component, I don’t think EA would want to dedicate resources for any sort of active development or large undertaking of bug fixing and optimization for the Sims 4 as they would want TS5 to be successful as the online component would probably have the greatest profit potential in terms of subscription and the like.
    ldauop39735.png
    edited May 2021
    I honestly don’t think the game can handle a 15 year lifespan. With more bugs with each patch and the spaghetti code nature of TS4, I think the game is starting to show its age a bit which seems like it is why there is a big focus on bug fixing now. TS3 had the similar issues of bugs at the end of its run, so I can definitely see TS5 coming in the next 2-4 years. In terms of whether or not TS4 will be the offline component, I don’t think EA would want to dedicate resources for any sort of active development or large undertaking of bug fixing and optimization for the Sims 4 as they would want TS5 to be successful as the online component would probably have the greatest profit potential in terms of subscription and the like.

I can see your point. They would want TS5 to be the focus and having another Sims game active might be seen as distracting.

Hopefully for the first time though two games could run, as they would be serving different functions. I like the idea of TS4 serving as the offline game. It would be simpler.

The risk is people might play TS4 staying offline more. Perhaps TS5 would have enticing features to counterbalance.

I agree with you that TS5 will roll out within 2-4 years. I’d rather they take their time as TS4 launched with a lot of missing stuff.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    That would be awful. I hate the fact that the worst iteration, TS4, is being dragged out this long....

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,819 Member
    That would be great! I love that I have several more years of content to look forward to. 🥰
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    That would be awful. I hate the fact that the worst iteration, TS4, is being dragged out this long....

Same.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    That would be terrible but I feel like I will stay with the old games + Paralives at this point
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    Let's hope not. Just think what all we would miss out on with newer ways to do things in games, and technology if we stick with no proper terrain tools, no swimmable worlds overall, no new innovation if we have to stick with TS4 for fifteen years. Can you imagine that? Some may not care about new innovation but it would be like staying with TS1 for twenty years. Less is never more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't need 15 yrs but I'm in no rush to buy repeats of recent content. Really not. I can see the appeal of an open world and graphics upgrade but I'm really leaning toward staying with my sims/content for a while if I move on at all. That could change based on specific information about a product but so far, if it's a move to emphasizing online multiplayer, that's not really for me.

If they do have a strategy of keeping this version, I'll stay with it. I still think it needs some tuning because it is buggy especially for basic things like routing issues and sitting down. I can probably work around the second part if I play without autonomy.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Let's hope not. Just think what all we would miss out on with newer ways to do things in games, and technology if we stick with no proper terrain tools, no swimmable worlds overall, no new innovation if we have to stick with TS4 for fifteen years. Can you imagine that? Some may not care about new innovation but it would be like staying with TS1 for twenty years. Less is never more.

I agree that keeping the same game for long periods can lead to stagnation. On the other hand, I don’t want to keep buying the same packs again and again. Like Sims 7 Seasons etc 🙄.

I’d like a better balance between releases and some way of transferring stuff you made or bought from one game to the other. I know in 4 you got lamps for Sims 3 packs purchased but I would’ve preferred some additional skill building items.

For Sims 4 I haven’t bought Seasons or University and instead gone for packs that are different. There was only going to be so long before I gave into Cats & Dogs though. 😺🐶.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I agree that keeping the same game for long periods can lead to stagnation. On the other hand, I don’t want to keep buying the same packs again and again. Like Sims 7 Seasons etc 🙄.

I’d like a better balance between releases and some way of transferring stuff you made or bought from one game to the other. I know in 4 you got lamps for Sims 3 packs purchased but I would’ve preferred some additional skill building items.

For Sims 4 I haven’t bought Seasons or University and instead gone for packs that are different. There was only going to be so long before I gave into Cats & Dogs though. 😺🐶.

We don't move on to the next iteration because of DLC, we move on because of the core, regardless of the DLC that may or may not become available. But I can understand why people don't understand that since TS4 was so lackluster of a base.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.