October 15th- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Ability to police comments: Please delete thread

13...Next

Comments

  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 3,195 Member

    If people find ways to take offense from an awesome button it just proves how overly sensitive and PC the culture has become where people need everything nerfed and a blank white room with nothing in it just to feel safe in their own little world.

    @Babykittyjade Well actually there have been a lot of instances where people (and I don't want to give detailed examples cause you'll know which ones I'm talking about) will reply to someone with an unpopular opinion by saying.

    "Oh you just say that cause you're a preson who likes to see other people miserable"
    or "Your existence in these forums is unwelcome"
    or even "You're just attention-seeking and bored during quarantine, nobody should take you seriously"

    These are comments aimed towards people who voiced an opinion that wasn't popular and all these comments go against the forums rules of not attacking people "personally" and keeping it "constructive". Yet these comments got over 20 or 30 likes and awesomes from people who by staying anonymous, could support these insults.
    Ofc it's a more rare phenomenon, but it happens and when it happens it's ugly.

    True I have seen it a few times😌 but definitely not enough to take away the likes and awesome from everyone else. Anyone agreeing with personal insults needs a moment to reflect within themselves, but not much can be done outside of that. Because the only options are report and ignore or remove ALL buttons for EVERYONE. 😶
    The biggest issue on this forum is people engaging in back and forth insults and arguments. Had a rude comment (rather or not it had likes) been reported and ignored it would not have turned into anything bigger and the thread would not have got closed.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited May 25
    muzickmage wrote: »
    There still seems to be a bit of a problem with people popping in and out of threads posting rude/insulting comments.... which the OP doesn't have any control over. The only option for an OP of any thread to fight against offensive comments is to click the "flag" icon and watch water boil while waiting for a moderator to finally show up.

    As it stands, all we can do is ignore these people, which provides them free reign to do what they want without consequence, or push back with comments of our own... which derails the thread and chance having the thread closed by moderators.

    There should at least be a "downvote" option attached to everyone's posts.....

    "Flag" - "Down Vote" - "Quote" - "Insightful" - "Like" - "Awesome"

    ..... So people could see by public opinion that their bahavior/comments isn't accepted. Even that could be abused as people use it to silently attack people's posts, but the word "silently" is the key. That option could be the push back without having to make comments in response.

    IMO, the OP of a thread should have better options to protect their thread from rude or abusive comments. Thread starters should have the ability to block people from posting in their thread, and, most importantly, be given the ability to delete any posts he/she/they see as offensive, or off topic.... derailing.

    Its frustrating to watch an OP have their thread derailed, and closed, to know fault of their own, and them not be able to do anything about it but just sit there and watch their thread get turned upside down by people who clearly have little respect for others.

    IMO, there needs to be changes to the forum options to help us police our own threads.

    The OP of any particular thread can just as easily push through a silent agenda of their own, it's not solely on the users posting as to how it goes about and neither it the fault of other users that they are being taken for a ride for the purposes of derailing as it's intended. the problem is that some thread posters can be very subtle and very charismatic about it, to make it seem like it is entirely on point but there is a slimier element to the thread with pointed indirect threats and insults to others.

    so what happens when you give these powers to these charismatic and charming users and they start kicking other users out because they simply write a comment slightly out of turn, or a miscommunication becomes a full on thread ban? There is allowing users to protect their threads and there are users overwhelmingly abusing the purposes of the moderation of the thread.

    The problem with moderation is that one moderator might see something different from another moderator, or one group might see it different from another group. The rules aren't fixed, it's a moving goalpost what the meaning is behind the rules and how they are applied and to one moderator, a small snarky insult can be passed up in a largely very on topic point where as a largely unhelpful post with great respect and care is taken down because it's simply deemed as off topic, where as another would remove the snarky comment and keep the other off topic posts up there so long as there is a point behind it, and that isn't easy to see when someone is going about it the long way.

    When you put moderation into the hands of typical users, this forum will become a full on battleground, it will be a 1000x worse than it is now and the official moderators will have a job and a half to try clamp down on the worst offenders and having to deal with users feeling they have been unjustly blocked or had their post removed for no good reason, and this is before they can even get to the minor troublemakers and their troll threads.


    I have my opinion and everyone else has theirs if you can't respect it you got no place on this forum, and if all you want is to act like a tyrant on your own threads, you'll quickly be isolated by other users and treated like the piece of filth you are treating others. However since you are here to discuss the game together with other users on a range of topics for discussion, it should always be kept constructive and sometimes what you see as unconstructive or a waste of time isn't to another user and you should show more tolerance and understanding.

    in my opinion this is a terrible idea and further more i wouldn't mind seeing this popularity contest points for approval to be removed, it only serves up further towards the most popular users first and most controversial second. Very rarely does the most constructive comment get the points reward it deserves and so i see no point in it other to highlight the current issues driving towards toxicity that is well noted in the the sims community unfortunately.

    Edit: 3 insightfuls or "downvotes" at the time of this edit is still proving the point how a controversial point garners so many votes.
    Post edited by Hoverael on
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 745 Member
    Problem is, the last time they had downvotes enabled, they got MASSIVELY abused. And normally the moderation around here is very good, but there isn't much they can do about people being snarky, until it becomes disruptive or abusive.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • LittleFox2LittleFox2 Posts: 362 Member
    edited May 26
    Totally agree with this.
    texxx78 wrote: »
    When i start a thread i don't see it as mine. I'm only the one starting a conversation. It doesn't mean that i own the conversation or i should have any special power to control the way the conversation is going to develop...

    I hope they never add a downvote option or anything like it; this would definitely be abused.
    There should at least be a "downvote" option attached to everyone's posts.....

    I see no need to ignore anyone or block them because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Comments that break the forum guidelines already have a solution--flag it. In terms of moderator response time, it takes them time to go around and address flagged comments. If something gets shut down, that is just another part of the process. Perhaps the moderator felt the subject was thoroughly hashed over enough to make the point.

    Now the moderator went into the Dream Home Decorator thread and removed post that did not belong in the positive thread. I assume the moderator went into the DHD negative thread and had to do the same thing. OP's of a thread should not be given the ability to delete post since there is a system in place for moderators to decide if it should be deleted.
    Thread starters should have the ability to block people from posting in their thread, and, most importantly, be given the ability to delete any posts he/she/they see as offensive, or off topic.... derailing.

    Compared to twitter, twitch, Youtube and other platforms, I think the system works just fine.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 899 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    SamDenny wrote: »
    Am not found of the downvote idea as that's too reddit-like and we know how reddit users like to abuse the downvote button when they come across a poster who says something that isn't part of their 'status quo'. I also don't think such amount of power of post deletion should be given to the OP of a thread - that can be abused, big time. If there must be some measure of power then at the very least the ability to close their own threads.

    So you're suggesting that the OP should remain in their current position having no defense from those who are rude and abusive, and just close their thread, or have it closed by moderators?

    This forum actually has a person who has their own dedicated troll who does nothing but follow them around and harass them, they get their accounts banned all the time but they keep coming back. Tell me how "Downvotes" protect them? If anything, Downvotes will make it even worse for their troll to harass them because they'll just make multiple accounts to mass downvote everything that this person says. God forbid they add a feature where if your comment gets downvoted to oblivion that it'll get hidden/deleted or your account gets suspended or something because this idea would screw over that person big time.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 652 Member
    I guess I'm the minority that wouldn't mind a downvote/dislike button. Yes, it could be abused, but literally anything can be abused. I'm pretty sure a lot of people use the "insightful" button whenever they disagree with someone.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I guess I'm the minority that wouldn't mind a downvote/dislike button. Yes, it could be abused, but literally anything can be abused. I'm pretty sure a lot of people use the "insightful" button whenever they disagree with someone.

    That's what I heard that people use that button for.

    When I first started commenting on posts I would use it whenever I thought the comment someone posted was thought-provoking and made me think differently, sort of a "hmmm, you might be right" type of thing, or 'Ah-hahhhh"

    Now I almost never, ever use it because I don't want people to think I'm down-voting what they said. LOL
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 5,590 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I guess I'm the minority that wouldn't mind a downvote/dislike button. Yes, it could be abused, but literally anything can be abused. I'm pretty sure a lot of people use the "insightful" button whenever they disagree with someone.

    I don't know, I think it's a small minority of cranky people who try to use Insightful in a negative manner. It doesn't even make sense, to be honest. I know there are a lot of people, myself included, who don't buy into that nonsense and just use it as intended. I'm going to keep doing so and just assume the "Insightfuls" I get are either sincere, or because someone doesn't understand the word, lol.

    It only gives people forum points anyway and why care about a flaccid attempt at passive aggression? That's just feeding trolls.
  • SamDennySamDenny Posts: 511 Member
    If I use that button it's because I actually think it was insightful.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 590 Member
    Don't chat about moderation. Our moderators are here to keep this place happy and helpful for everyone. Discussing the way they do things on the forum is not okay, if you have any questions about your own moderation history feel free to reach out to a moderator or Community manager.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979770/forum-rules-guidelines#latest

    Replying with things like this is actually frowned upon too. If the OP is breaking this specific rule, flag it and move on and the moderators will attend to it in due course.
    EA_Lanna wrote: »
    posts that were a bit off-topic i.e. not on the positivity train or moderating peers. Do report any posts that are off-topic vs responding and correcting others

    ancient dreams in a modern land
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 933 Member
    I used the like/awesome buttons for different reasons. Sometimes I agree with, and like the comment made, and the awesome option allows me to highlight the extent of my agreement, and interest in the point made....

    .... and also, I use them to downvote the post that comment was addressing.

    If person "A" makes a post that is rude, and person "B" makes a comment addressing those rude remarks that "A" made in their post..... I will often give person "B" a like or an awesome for their post against "A". In this example, the upvote given to "B" isn't much different than a downvote given to "A". Its just a more indirect way of doing it.

    However, instead of focusing on the "downvote" idea, lets focus on the more important issue. Should we be allowed to defend ourselves from being treated disrespectfully, whether in life, or on an internet forum? Or should we become submissive to such behavior, and completely place our social well being in the hands of a complete stranger?

    When we consider the fact that we are all living in a world that is in a civil battle concerning "freedom of speech" vs "the legal right to silence", should we have the Right to speak up against those infringing on us, or should we sit in silence and let it be someone's else's responsibility?

    The point of this thread is my opinion that we shouldn't be pushed in a corner and told to remain silent against those who are treating us disrespectfully. To have them come and treat people however they want, while knowing they won't have any push back because its against the rules for us to defend ourselves, that IMO, sends them a free ticket to be abusive.

    They shouldn't have that power. But that power is exactly what they have, because its given to them by a community of people who think its better to just ignore them. The internet wasn't created yesterday. Its been online long enough now that we can see .... ignoring them... isn't working. Remaining silent.... isn't working. And placing our well being in the hands of strangers..... doesn't always work either. Its in the bracket of.... "who are you to decide if i'm insulted or not?"

    After all the posts shared in this thread, I still think we need better forum tools to defend against such behaviors. I get it, you don't agree with the ideas I offered in my initial post. Fair enough. You don't like the downvote button idea. Ok. Lets move on from that.

    Lets focus on the bigger issue. Would you like better forum tools to help us better defend against those who are rude and abusive, and what forum tools, or added options would you think would help us.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 341 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I mostly wish that OP had option to delete/close threads they started

    @Simmingal Does anyone know why we're not able to delete our own threads or comments? I am really curious as to why we don't have that kind of control over our own posts.

    I'm not too sure about this forum, but I know on other forums I'm on they say it's because the information in the thread could be useful to new or old users in the future. I think we should be allowed to though, at least to an extent, because it clutters up forums in my opinion.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 26
    I wanted this thread to be a "General Discussion" about our ability to police comments. Not a topic based on forum ideas (though such were/are included) or adopted as any suggestion of "feedback". I am not offering feedback, and did not create this thread for the moderators to debate, or consider. It was created for site members to have a general discussion about.

    I don't want this thread to be misinterpreted by individuals the thread wasn't created for, and think maybe it would be best if the topic was simply deleted.

    Thank you to everyone who commented and shared their opinions during this general discussion.

    Have a good day.

    @EA_Lanna Please delete this thread.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 3,195 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    I used the like/awesome buttons for different reasons. Sometimes I agree with, and like the comment made, and the awesome option allows me to highlight the extent of my agreement, and interest in the point made....

    .... and also, I use them to downvote the post that comment was addressing.

    If person "A" makes a post that is rude, and person "B" makes a comment addressing those rude remarks that "A" made in their post..... I will often give person "B" a like or an awesome for their post against "A". In this example, the upvote given to "B" isn't much different than a downvote given to "A". Its just a more indirect way of doing it.

    However, instead of focusing on the "downvote" idea, lets focus on the more important issue. Should we be allowed to defend ourselves from being treated disrespectfully, whether in life, or on an internet forum? Or should we become submissive to such behavior, and completely place our social well being in the hands of a complete stranger?

    When we consider the fact that we are all living in a world that is in a civil battle concerning "freedom of speech" vs "the legal right to silence", should we have the Right to speak up against those infringing on us, or should we sit in silence and let it be someone's else's responsibility?

    The point of this thread is my opinion that we shouldn't be pushed in a corner and told to remain silent against those who are treating us disrespectfully. To have them come and treat people however they want, while knowing they won't have any push back because its against the rules for us to defend ourselves, that IMO, sends them a free ticket to be abusive.

    They shouldn't have that power. But that power is exactly what they have, because its given to them by a community of people who think its better to just ignore them. The internet wasn't created yesterday. Its been online long enough now that we can see .... ignoring them... isn't working. Remaining silent.... isn't working. And placing our well being in the hands of strangers..... doesn't always work either. Its in the bracket of.... "who are you to decide if i'm insulted or not?"

    After all the posts shared in this thread, I still think we need better forum tools to defend against such behaviors. I get it, you don't agree with the ideas I offered in my initial post. Fair enough. You don't like the downvote button idea. Ok. Lets move on from that.

    Lets focus on the bigger issue. Would you like better forum tools to help us better defend against those who are rude and abusive, and what forum tools, or added options would you think would help us.

    You can't fight fire with fire or the whole forest burns down. One of us has to be the water.😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 327 Member
    I think using any of the available reactions to "downvote" someone is confusing lol. If you disagree with my comments, say so.
    Q2xZhPo.png
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,119 Member
    edited May 27
    Onverser wrote: »
    They tried the down vote button, people can't handle others disagreeing with their opinions here.

    The thing with downvoting is it's more of a rude way of disagreeing. If someone were to reply to something I said saying they disagree for -- reason that's totally cool and they're free to disagree, but with a button there's no room for adult conversation or mature discussion it's just "your opinion is bad". It's just a childish and quite petty way of dealing with something imo. I find that that's the problem with social media, people just shout that "you're wrong!" and refuse to have mature conversations over differences in opinions, that's one of the reason why I like forums because it's not like that and you can actually talk about things like grown ups, and in my opinion a downvote button would just bring that sort of thing into the forums.

    How is downvoting rude? It's just a down vote. It's not saying you're dumb or your opinions doesnt matter, it's just a quick simple way of saying they don't agree.Wether it's a Reply or downvote, it's still the same thing- someone disagreeing with you. I think the issue here is that we are just to sensitive and can't handle opinions that diffrentiant from ours. I've seen many people fall apart on these forums when people did reply to them and saw it as an attack instead of a conversation. We are too sensitive and need to gain back bone, we need to stop seeing everything as a personal attack to us and our personalities or interests. There are forums that allow anything to be said and worst ways a person can tell you disagree with you than a simple button.
    giphy.gif


  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 15,158 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I mostly wish that OP had option to delete/close threads they started

    and it would certainly help to prevent people from bringing back discussions from trillion years ago by mistake

    and to nicely end any thread thats gotten out of hand

    aaand also sometimes you just realize your thread didnt need to happen right after posting it cause you found out there is another thread about it

    +id also like option to block/ignore threads

    like for example sometimes you keep getting same thread over and over in recent discussions so you miss other recent discussions

    and you dont really have anything against the starter of thread you just dont feel like discussing that yourself so it be neat to get it out of way

    Here is a thread from another member asking about giving us user-level thread management and what former SimGuruDrake said about it.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/895588/user-level-thread-management#latest


    I don't think it's a good idea to be allowed to delete other members postings from our threads because then people wouldn't want to post in any of our threads if we were given that ability to delete what we don't want on our threads. I know that I wouldn't want to post in other people's threads knowing that if someone doesn't like what I've said then they would go and delete my post even if it wasn't a rude or mean post. I would think that others would also be afraid to post their opinions in other members threads knowing that there would be a chance that the OP of the thread could possibly remove any posts from people that they don't like or postings that might feel like an attack to the OP.

    I also feel that it's a bad idea being that certain members could form groups or cliques, so therefore the OP would only allow comments to remain from people that are in their group and would get rid of the comments from people outside of their group/s.

    The best thing to do is just use the report button whenever someone makes a rude posting or send a PM to 1 or 2 of the sites moderators just to give them a heads up about someone's actions in the thread in question and let them handle any actions that need to be taken. The only people that should be allowed to censor what other people say in a thread is the moderators of the site and no one else. If you see a posting that is rude and mean, just report it and not respond to the person that made it.
  • LittleFox2LittleFox2 Posts: 362 Member
    edited May 27
    This comment is one of the reasons why the OP shouldn't be allowed to delete anyone's comments.
    You can't fight fire with fire or the whole forest burns down. One of us has to be the water.

    Since I'm looking at this from a site member's perspective, no one should have the ability to delete comments but the moderators. I don't believe anyone including the OP of any thread will be impartial.
    I wanted this thread to be a "General Discussion" about our ability to police comments.
    Post edited by LittleFox2 on
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 27
    Here's the thing people. I don't think every rude comment deserves involving the site police. I may not want to put the other persons membership to this site in danger. I may not want them banned, or have any official report against them. Maybe I just want to have a small back and forth about their comments not being appreciated without involving the a site's FBI investigation.

    Sometimes in RL you can resolve things by simply telling the guy to get off your lawn. You don't always have to involve the police. And yes, sometimes that includes a bit of a ... back-and-forth.... but so what. That's just part of life.

    Suggesting that I should hide in my house and do nothing except keep 1 finger always on the "call police" button, that everything involves only 2 options... do nothing, or have person arrested.... that's just crazy. There must be some wiggle room here.

    That's another problem with the threads. They're too much... on topic. There's no wiggle room. Even in hockey they realized glass has to have some flexability. But on these threads, we all must stay 100% on topic. Like that's going to happen easily.

    If telling someone their comments are rude leads to the thread going off topic for a few minutes, or for a dozen or so posts, so what. Let it go off topic long enough for that person to realize they made comments that weren't appreciated.

    At some point we all need to grow up and stop crying to our parents whenever something gets a little heated, like a conversation. We shouldn't have to live our lives with one button on the fun button, and the other on the "call police" button. Sometimes, we are able to handle things ourselves without involving a crime report.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top