Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Neutral Options.

Comments

• K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    "I noticed that some of the Sims in my neighborhood are Black (like Vivian Lewis). Is there a toggle I can use to prevent that from appearing in my game?"

No, of course I don't mind that Sims vary, and have diverse skin tones. But everyone asking to omit non-binary options, this is what you sound like. Maybe re-think why you have the objections you have.
    You’re reaching and you know you are. I hate these topics because you cannot argue against them without appearing like the bad guy. It’s impossible to debate this. Inclusion is good, having it be a toggle is better. If I don’t want black/Asian/white/gay/lesbian/non-binary Sims in my game, that is fine. Because it’s my game.

I support adding it so people can represent themselves. Do it. Give me the option to disable it if I don’t like it. If I don’t want non-binary people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. If I don’t want transgender people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. Et cetera.

Give. Us. The. Choice. That's all we're asking. We're not asking for it to be not included, we're simply asking for the option.

Just out of curiosity, if someone was posting on this forum about how they wanted a toggle to get rid of every Sim of a particular skin tone, particularly if it was a skin tone that matched people who have traditionally been oppressed in real life, can you imagine how that would sound?

Nobody is forcing you to love people outside of your comfort zone, but it is hurtful when you say that these people should be able to be turned off with a toggle. Yes, I know that you're talking about Sims, but given it mimics language that is heard in day to day life for some people, it is still hurtful.

Personally, I love the idea of randomly generated non-binary and trans Sims, provided it is done in roughly the same distribution of real life. I think it would break the realism for the game if every other Sim was non-cis and obnoxiously loud about it. The vast majority of non-cis people I know look like normal people...probably because they are.

If a player who doesn't like non-binary and trans Sims encountered one in the game and became aware of it, then they could do whatever they would do in real life, whether it's be mean, limit interactions, or just be a general accepting person and get on with it because the vast majority of interactions between Sims isn't woohoo based.

My head-canon already has a few non-binary NPC (Morgyn Ember, obvs), but it has only impacted my game play in a noticeable way when my Sims have gotten romantic with them. Instead of a toggle, maybe treat it like real life and if you don't like someone for some reason like race or gender, don't interact with that person/Sim.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited May 2021
    "I noticed that some of the Sims in my neighborhood are Black (like Vivian Lewis). Is there a toggle I can use to prevent that from appearing in my game?"

No, of course I don't mind that Sims vary, and have diverse skin tones. But everyone asking to omit non-binary options, this is what you sound like. Maybe re-think why you have the objections you have.

I don’t think anyone here is asking for non-binary options to be omitted. I believe this is more about not wanting non-binary pronouns to replace “ he” or “she”. I’m not trying to speak for anybody else though, but this is something I would object to. My sim is either born he or she and anything beyond that should be optional.

That being said, I’d have no problem with npc’s being generated with different gender identities if that’s how they want to express themselves.
    However, I would certainly be against full automatic replacement of he/ she with they/ them, just because it’s perhaps the easy way out from a development perspective.
    Non-Binary (or whatever else is out there) could be optional in CAS similar to the way I choose either male or female, skin tone, hair colour etc. but where do you stop?

I think it's important to consider what can be added to this game. Simply saying "everything" is not realistic. I don't think everyone would want genders to be replaced with body type in the game for example. So I don't think asking for a toggle is unreasonable at all.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,462 Member

Just out of curiosity, if someone was posting on this forum about how they wanted a toggle to get rid of every Sim of a particular skin tone, particularly if it was a skin tone that matched people who have traditionally been oppressed in real life, can you imagine how that would sound?

Nobody is forcing you to love people outside of your comfort zone, but it is hurtful when you say that these people should be able to be turned off with a toggle. Yes, I know that you're talking about Sims, but given it mimics language that is heard in day to day life for some people, it is still hurtful.

Except nobody was doing that. Not in this thread anyway. That’s just folks turning it into something it isn’t.

But even so, why would there be a problem with asking for an option to turn off specific genetics? What if I only want blue Sims in my game, because in that specific save I prefer to play with Smurfs. Or an alien colony with pointy ears and big roundy eyes? Sorry Asians, Blacks, Whites, or Whatever you are, you’re not welcome. Just gotta turn you off there for a moment. This is Planet Green Skin Pointy Ears and Roundy Eyes.

So what? This is the Sims after all. Doesn’t mean I’m some kind of racist or bigot for asking. If someone’s hurt by that kind of request I guess that’s their problem.
    logion wrote: »
    I think it's important to consider what can be added to this game. Simply saying "everything" is not realistic. I don't think everyone would want genders to be replaced with body type in the game for example. So I don't think asking for a toggle is unreasonable at all.

I agree. I think it’s very important for the team to develop tools that help us create anything or anybody we want. That’s the beauty of a life simulator, especially if it’s done well. The more options, the better. Whether that’s achieved by including toggles in CAS or in game shouldn’t make any difference, as long as the choice is ours.

When it comes to representing specific gender identities I just wonder how this will be added to the game that we currently have, without leaving anyone out. I just read that there are 72 genders! Probably more by the end of next year.

I do remember when the Pride flags were included in an update, one specific flag was omitted which caused a massive uproar. This is what I’m talking about. Where do you stop? If and when we get a non-binary toggle, another group wants something else. And so on and so forth.

I believe the Sims 4 core engine needs an overhaul and additional tools/ algorithms to make this whole inclusiveness thing meaningful for everybody.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm fine with an option being added in CAS for those that have been asking for it. However I don't want the game assigning this to my sims autonomously. It should be my choice if I want a gender neutral sim.

This is why we can't even have any discussion or objections about this because people like you make it into a you vs them discussion.

We all have different opinions on what they should add to this game, but as soon as we talk about representation, you are the bad guy if you have any objections or questions about it.

You're right, I do think that people who don't want entire categories of everyday people to exist are the "bad guys". I'm struggling to see how it would negatively impact you to have non-binary or trans Sims in the game and I can see how it would benefit people who like diversity, particularly those who identify as non-binary or trans.

I think the comparison between one type of bigotry and another is a sound one.

Except nobody was doing that. Not in this thread anyway. That’s just folks turning it into something it isn’t.

But even so, why would there be a problem with asking for an option to turn off specific genetics? What if I only want blue Sims in my game, because in that specific save I prefer to play with Smurfs. Or an alien colony with pointy ears and big roundy eyes? Sorry Asians, Blacks, Whites, or Whatever you are, you’re not welcome. Just gotta turn you off there for a moment. This is Planet Green Skin Pointy Ears and Roundy Eyes.

So what? This is the Sims after all. Doesn’t mean I’m some kind of racist or bigot for asking. If someone’s hurt by that kind of request I guess that’s their problem.

I agree. I think it’s very important for the team to develop tools that help us create anything or anybody we want. That’s the beauty of a life simulator, especially if it’s done well. The more options, the better. Whether that’s achieved by including toggles in CAS or in game shouldn’t make any difference, as long as the choice is ours.

When it comes to representing specific gender identities I just wonder how this will be added to the game that we currently have, without leaving anyone out. I just read that there are 72 genders! Probably more by the end of next year.

I do remember when the Pride flags were included in an update, one specific flag was omitted which caused a massive uproar. This is what I’m talking about. Where do you stop? If and when we get a non-binary toggle, another group wants something else. And so on and so forth.

I believe the Sims 4 core engine needs an overhaul and additional tools/ algorithms to make this whole inclusiveness thing meaningful for everybody.

I have less of an issue with wanting an entire world of fantasy people than I do with turning off actual real world types of people in typical "realistic"* game play. I will always think it is bigotted to say "these types of people who are doing no harm to me should not exist" and I don't get the impression it's the ethos that the creators of the franchise stand behind. I don't think it would make sense in this sort of game.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall with much of this discussion. I think it's important for people who are reading it and possibly not feeling safe expressing their opinions towards inclusivity to know that they are not alone, which is why I joined in the conversation initially.

One last thing I can't help but to comment on is your statement of, "If someone’s hurt by that kind of request I guess that’s their problem." If you're knowingly hurting people, that says something about you, not them.

*Realistic as a world with cow plants and alien abductions can get...
    MagicaCat wrote: »
    Instead of a toggle, maybe treat it like real life and if you don't like someone for some reason like race or gender, don't interact with that person/Sim.

But it's not real life.

If I want to delete every SIM toddler in the game because I don't like playing with them I have that option.
    If I want to delete every dog in the game because I don't like dogs, I have that option.
    If I want to populate my world with aliens and have no humans at all, I have that choice.
    If they force gender neutrality into my game, I want the choice to turn it off.

Oh good, it sounds like you're well versed on deleting Sims. Why would deleting non-binary and trans Sims be any different, if you happened to notice them?
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm fine with an option being added in CAS for those that have been asking for it. However I don't want the game assigning this to my sims autonomously. It should be my choice if I want a gender neutral sim.

I definitely agree with this, but don't see it happening. In CAS, we're never forced to choose a particular gender. I imagine that if you had a baby Sim that was identified as a particular gender at birth, but you felt like they didn't fit that gender as they grew up, they would be able to come out as non-binary or trans.
  • MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    Oh good, it sounds like you're well versed on deleting Sims. Why would deleting non-binary and trans Sims be any different, if you happened to notice them?

Why should I have Sims I theoretically don't want in the first place forced into my game?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2021
    The problem probably, would be that a good part of their budget from now on will be employing programmers to get in and sort out some kind of code change or toggle to get it done and less spent on the gameplay and objects that most want.

The only answer possible that I use at present is to make all my own Sims and families up to and beyond the limit allowed for my game and delete any others that I don't want. Keeping a lot of them in the family bin to be the bartenders etc. I've got way over 250 Sims in one save and they seem to be the only ones turning up roaming the streets around to come in contact with. I did find Eliza Pancakes turning up as the bartender a lot before I got rid of her too.

• BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Putting on this thread again. How will non binary option work? I.K. It is not a choice to be non binary, but it is a choice to transition, so will babies be born this way? If not, will adult townies be non binary, but townies generated younger will not be.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Instead of a toggle, maybe treat it like real life and if you don't like someone for some reason like race or gender, don't interact with that person/Sim.

But it's not real life.

If I want to delete every SIM toddler in the game because I don't like playing with them I have that option.
    If I want to delete every dog in the game because I don't like dogs, I have that option.
    If I want to populate my world with aliens and have no humans at all, I have that choice.

Do you have that choices though?
    Game constantly populates worlds with sims. I don't think it's possible to get rid of a certain type of sims without mods — if you don't have enough elders in your game, it generates some. If you delete all the celebrities, it generates new ones, and I don't think you can delete all dogs too, because new strays will appear.
    Putting on this thread again. How will non binary option work? I.K. It is not a choice to be non binary, but it is a choice to transition, so will babies be born this way? If not, will adult townies be non binary, but townies generated younger will not be.

That's probably their headache at the moment and a great slice of the Sims 4 budget eaten up.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited May 2021
    Why are you all so worried about it being optional or not when we already have some gender customization in game? Do you see any random generated townies with opposite body frames to their gender? No, you don't because that's optional. I think we have a pattern here, no?
    Justin wrote: »
    I have a simple question because I am but a simple man...He/Him/Dude or IT on days when I look like a clown.

If gender neutral was to be added aren’t there other gender identities that need to be added? Or how should I see this? How does this work? Should I not call it gender identity?
    You have to forgive me but googling anything gender related these days confuses me.

I understand folks want to be represented ‘n all, but from a developers point of view I can imagine that trying to implement different gender identities and different pronouns and make it work for everybody (without offending anyone) would be a complete and utter nightmare!

Which genders should be included, or is it only the additional one (gender neutral) and then everybody will be happy?

Theres a reason why these pronouns don’t exist for made up genders in other languages. Because there’s only two genders & they exist in the game already. You can’t change your chromosome based on how you feel. If that was the case I’d be a hairy mermaid out at sea waiting for my hunk sailor boy. But I’d end up being locked up for being a danger to myself?
    You can be whatever you want. :smile: Btw, you don't get to decide how many genders there are. Gender is different from sex, maybe do a research on that :smile:
    he/him
  • MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Do you have that choices though?
    Game constantly populates worlds with sims. I don't think it's possible to get rid of a certain type of sims without mods — if you don't have enough elders in your game, it generates some. If you delete all the celebrities, it generates new ones, and I don't think you can delete all dogs too, because new strays will appear.

As far as I know 🤔 I don't have GF so can't speak for generated celebs and while I dislike the toddler lifestage, I don't delete them - I just don't play families who have them.
    I've only ever deleted premade dogs in my game and I don't see any around - even strays (though admittedly I don't go looking for them).
    But the point is, I have that choice and it should be the same if they bring in gender neutrality.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited May 2021

I have less of an issue with wanting an entire world of fantasy people than I do with turning off actual real world types of people in typical "realistic"* game play. I will always think it is bigotted to say "these types of people who are doing no harm to me should not exist" and I don't get the impression it's the ethos that the creators of the franchise stand behind. I don't think it would make sense in this sort of game.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall with much of this discussion. I think it's important for people who are reading it and possibly not feeling safe expressing their opinions towards inclusivity to know that they are not alone, which is why I joined in the conversation initially.

One last thing I can't help but to comment on is your statement of, "If someone’s hurt by that kind of request I guess that’s their problem." If you're knowingly hurting people, that says something about you, not them.

*Realistic as a world with cow plants and alien abductions can get...

I don't think there is any thing wrong with people wanting options for there game
    but you shouldn't call people names are say nasty things about others it against the rules of the forum
    you might get in trouble and surly you can make a point with out calling others evil or bad

Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited May 2021
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    Why are you all so worried about it being optional or not when we already have some gender customization in game? Do you see any random generated townies with opposite body frames to their gender? No, you don't because that's optional. I think we have a pattern here, no?
    Justin wrote: »
    I have a simple question because I am but a simple man...He/Him/Dude or IT on days when I look like a clown.

If gender neutral was to be added aren’t there other gender identities that need to be added? Or how should I see this? How does this work? Should I not call it gender identity?
    You have to forgive me but googling anything gender related these days confuses me.

I understand folks want to be represented ‘n all, but from a developers point of view I can imagine that trying to implement different gender identities and different pronouns and make it work for everybody (without offending anyone) would be a complete and utter nightmare!

Which genders should be included, or is it only the additional one (gender neutral) and then everybody will be happy?

Theres a reason why these pronouns don’t exist for made up genders in other languages. Because there’s only two genders & they exist in the game already. You can’t change your chromosome based on how you feel. If that was the case I’d be a hairy mermaid out at sea waiting for my hunk sailor boy. But I’d end up being locked up for being a danger to myself?
    You can be whatever you want. :smile: Btw, you don't get to decide how many genders there are. Gender is different from sex, maybe do a research on that :smile:

What I think about gender is my own right. Just like you want to believe there’s more then 2 genders. I’m not going to get into it with you.

My problem is how they’re going to implement this without ruining MY game or anyone else’s play style. Rather then trying to prove a point maybe offer some suggestions to prevent my beliefs & play style from being affected.
    There’s so many genders & identities that not everyone will be included. How will they accommodate that?
    No one is saying not to implement it. Everyone wants the option to turn it off.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited May 2021
    Kironide wrote: »
    You might want to add pan sexual and asexual :)

And take out the one that is a job/hobby :D

On topic, I would prefer my sims that would refer to themselves primarily as 'he' or 'she', whether they are cis/trans or fluid, be able to do so. And sims that would choose 'they' should be able to do so.
    I can't imagine how difficult it would be to set this up and I don't envy developers trying to figure out how to implement this.

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Kironide wrote: »
    You might want to add pan sexual and asexual :)

And take out the one that is a job/hobby :D

Gotta love the positive sentiment :D
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2021

But it's not real life.

But you do have the choice. You can delete them, like you said with toddlers. To my knowledge, there's no toggle anywhere in the game that removes toddlers, or dogs for that matter, so why would there be a toggle to remove this?

Another thing (in edit: this isn't targeted to you btw just a general statement because of some posts I've read on the thread). They aren't going to remove gender. Just because they change the pronouns in popups to be gender neutral doesn't mean that gender is being removed. In the event they add a non-binary gender into cas, I can only imagine that it will be optional (like the custom gender settings we have right now).

Honestly, I don't see how they'd do it, but I'd love to see it happen.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
    Of course they could use Simlish as that's what the Sims speak, so the pronouns could be unlimited in that! :)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    greydonn wrote: »

But it's not real life.

But you do have the choice. You can delete them, like you said with toddlers. To my knowledge, there's no toggle anywhere in the game that removes toddlers, or dogs for that matter, so why would there be a toggle to remove this?

Another thing (in edit: this isn't targeted to you btw just a general statement because of some posts I've read on the thread). They aren't going to remove gender. Just because they change the pronouns in popups to be gender neutral doesn't mean that gender is being removed. In the event they add a non-binary gender into cas, I can only imagine that it will be optional (like the custom gender settings we have right now).

but if they change the popups to be gender neutral are sims will not be call he or she any more
    I like my sim being a she and being called that isn't that what you want for your sims to be called what you like
    having the popups to be gender neutral would just take away from everyone @greydonn
    it would take away from trans sims to because then they can't be called he or she
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    greydonn wrote: »

But it's not real life.

but if they change the popups to be gender neutral are sims will not be call he or she any more
    I like my sim being a she and being called that isn't that what you want for your sims to be called what you like
    having the popups to be gender neutral would just take away from everyone @greydonn
    it would take away from trans sims to because then they can't be called he or she

My sim's daughter is still their daughter even if the popup saying she got an A refers to her as "they". My sims son is still their son, and their nonbinary child is still their nonbinary child.

If I refer to a stranger as "they", and they're a women, it doesn't make them not a women.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.