May 28 - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the #DreamHomeDecorator Livestream HERE today, May 25, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
May 27: Today is patch day! 😃 To read the patch notes, click here!

How long do you guys usually keep playing a save file for?

GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 24 Member
After reading about certain simmers that regularly play saves they've made ages ago, I got curious. How long do you guys typically play your saves for? What's the longest save you've ever had? And if you play other Sims games besides the Sims 2, which game do you find the easiest to keep playing for long amounts of time?

As for me, while I try to play save files for a long time, I almost always end up starting over again. I really like the idea of playing a neighborhood that has grown over generations, but I can never seem to make it work. :(

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,329 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

I seem to lose interest once the children arrive. :(

I've also never been able to last long rotating through a neighborhood. I have tried at least 4 times with Pleasantview. 3 times with my own town, Troll Valley.
    I love playing them but I always get to the children and lose interest. Even cute kids. :sigh:

• BookBearBookBear Posts: 430 Member
    edited May 20
    Usually it's the "Gen 2 are moving out and you have to pick a favorite or struggle with rotational" stage for me.
    Edit: Oh, wait this is a TS2 thread sorry. Should I delete this?
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,329 Member
    edited May 20
    @BookBear wrote: »
    Usually it's the "Gen 2 are moving out and you have to pick a favorite or struggle with rotational" stage for me.

No need to delete, they asked about which game so you're good. :mrgreen:
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 24 Member
    BookBear wrote: »

No, no, you're fine! It happens to the best of us. Plus, it gave me a good laugh. 😁 I struggle with that in the Sims 3 as well. Supposedly there's a NRAS mod that makes it easier, but I haven't had the time to fiddle around with it yet.
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 24 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :mrgreen:

I seem to lose interest once the children arrive. :(

I've also never been able to last long rotating through a neighborhood. I have tried at least 4 times with Pleasantview. 3 times with my own town, Troll Valley.
    I love playing them but I always get to the children and lose interest. Even cute kids. :sigh:

I'm glad to hear it isn't just me! I believe this is my...what, 3rd time starting Pleasantview over? 😅 I can't even get my Sims to the child stage. My neighborhood has a massive baby boom and I suddenly lose all desire to play because keeping up with the little gremlins is hard! 😭
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,483 Member
    About a month for me, restartitis hits after all my houses max out their skills and end up where they used to be.

My first BDC was about 3 years, although that savefile wasn't one I could keep playing for any reason other than corruption.
    5aSF2B2.png
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,222 Member
    I usually last till I have to break canon and make stuff up. Too many premades have such ultra specific stories, usually I try to follow those somewhat.
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,439 Member
    I have had the same save file for years, but I just make a new family by the time the third generation of kiddos arrives. There's no connectivity in my file.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 364 Member
    I find it hard to keep playing the same save file. Now I have around 70 Sims for one sim year (rotation with all the seasons done). And I've been playing for a few months.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 897 Member
    It really depends when I feel I am done with it. Most saves I reroll fairly often, but I can also get attached to saves. For example, I still have my first file I played and have gone back to it before. Just not in a long time. So it is really all over the place for me, but I suppose the short of it is when I am not attached not long and possibly eternally if I am. I still have my old Sims 3 saves I retrieved off an old early 2000s PC.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 3,340 Member
    Generally for the life of the host PC/hard drive. If I want some variety I'll swap a neighborhood with one in my stash folder. I also take advantage of the provision to create new neighborhoods.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I have been playing 3 saves latelly. The first one is the one i play often. It's a small rotation of 6 households. The second is a save where i (try to) do some building and the last one which i haven't played for a while is a challenge i never finished. Sometimes i think i won't play it again so i should delete that save but i made so many advances that it's hard to let go.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 921 Member
    I usually create a married couple in CAS and count that as gen 1. I often make it to about gen 3. I’ve not gone further than that, I think.
    Sims 3 Families: Fairy Friends, Jenningses, Delaunays
    Sims 4 Families: Fosters/Matsumotos/van Beerses, Harper-Joneses/Bridges, Mastersons

Mastersons Thread: Magical Mastersons: A Ginger Spellcaster Family

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 714 Member
    If I start to play in Veronaville, it takes me over 100h of preparations to get to the real starting point. So I'd say about a full season of playing time.
  • IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 99 Member
    In all games, when I create a family I usually try and play with it as long as I can. I agree with you, Sims 2 is a bit hard to do that only because the town is not progressing that much, meaning that I for example have 7th gen sims and they have as their friends some people that the 1st gen sims had which is weird :D . I think Sims 3 is the easiest to keep a family going on and on and on because even with or without mods, the town manages to progress nicely. But yeah as for 2 the longest save was almost a year. As for 3 though, I play the same for almost 4 years and still going.
    q4ahJsp.jpg

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,739 Member
    I don't play legacy but might have a family or two that has grown older and their adult kids also live in the neighborhoods etc. I play the entire town (my own, never Maxis) and kept a save (still have it) that last more than ten years. It's why I can say sometimes corruption is overrated. I actually played it off and on for more than ten years but as I said not every family had kids or adult kids in the hood. I build a lot, a mean a lot, so I may have 25 or more main hoods in the files and skip around depending on my mood. It's so much easier these days to have that many hood in the game with better pcs as it was when the game came out. But,yeah at least one hood (mine) I played for more than ten years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1