The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Asian Eye Presets in Latest Patch

MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
Hello all:

Not sure if this was already brought up as I didn't see it in the topic section, but the most recent patch added a lot of new Asian Eye Presets in the CAS section. Considering no one has asked for it, it was surprising to see it. Though I usually welcome any additions adding variety to the game.

However, what made this addition a little puzzling is that the majority of the eye presets in CAS are already Asian oriented. Which I do not mind except what really need is more of a variety of eye presets for other ethnicities too including European, Island, and African types, lol.

Though I do like SOME of the Asian eye presets, I find that only two were decent enough to use without any tweaking as opposed to rest.

The rest of these new Asian presets just look unrealistically ugly or odd, cartoonish, (IMO) somewhat stereotypically insulting, and completely useless for those of us who like to create sims that look as real as possible without the use of MODS.

Did anyone else have a chance to look through them in CAS? If so, what did you think? I always applaud EA when they try offer up more choices with things in the Sims 4 game. But this one totally missed the mark for me is all I'm saying. Hopefully, they'll do better in the future. <3

edited for clarity, lol.
Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
Post edited by MsKatieRose on

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    They need to add European hooded eyes. I like the new presets they added, they are quite diverse not just monolids.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Hello all:

Not sure if this was already brought up as I didn't see it in the topic section, but the most recent patch added a lot of new Asian Eye Presets in the CAS section. I was surprised to see them as I hadn't notice any players ever complaining about wanting this in CAS or just wanting this addition in the game at all.

What also made this addition even more puzzling is the the majority of the eye presets in CAS are already Asian oriented. If anything, we need more of a variety of eye presets for other ethnicities including European, Island, and African types, lol.

Regardless, upon scrolling through these new Asian eye presets, I found that only two were decent enough to use as opposed to rest. The rest of these new Asian presets are really ugly, cartoonish, and completely useless for those of us who like to create sims that look as real as possible.
    I mean, honestly, though I am part Asian, I found most of them to be a bit insulting, too. Like in a stereotypical way. Did anyone else have a chance to look through them in CAS? If so, what did you think? I always applaud EA when they try offer up more choices with things in the Sims 4 game. But this one totally missed the mark for me.

I've always found that the Asian modders to do a better job at making Asian sims look more realistic Asian so you might want to look into them. But I guess Maxis is doing this because May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. So I think that's nice.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,940 Member
    nooo the new eye presets are beautiful

but i agree its bit weird of them to target " asian eyes presets" only

given that 99% of the base game eye presets just result in creepy looking possessed sims unless you edit the heck out of em

and also that some of these eye presets work just as well for non asian folks so there is really no reason to label them asian in first place just say new eye presets

but either way i am happy to have some presets that don't result in OWO sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Asian eyes are "insulting" now? 🙄okay.
    I quite like them. And the variety is nice for different types of sim looks. Some want real some want cartoony. I personally always thought we never had enough Asian eyes. I'm south Asian with the big almond eyes. I don't particularly race play but many of my sims "look" East Asian as that's more of the general look I usually have in mind for certain sims, and they are quite happy with the new variety it's lovely!! 😁😍
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I'm not asian. New eyes look nice to me. It brings more variety. This and skintone patch helps to make all kinds of sims.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I've used Zerbu's presets for years, I've had a bunch of additional presets for my sims for ages.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    I really loved one set of the new eyes and there were a couple of others that also looked very nice. Just my opinion on the eyes, no comments on the representation discussion.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I really love this new addition.

And as for cartoonish. That's the Sims.

Personally I did NOT find many of the pre-existing eye presets to be Asian, so this is welcome.

If you want realism you need to turn to mod sites that overwrite everything.

I was looking at them and found one or two of these that 'clipped' when a sim blinked - but I suspect that is due to some CC I have that messes with default lashes. A lot of CC out there tends to clip when used outside of a narrow scope.

Restarted my game with all mods turned off, looked at them again - no clipping, no weird ones, they all look great.

In fact when I turned off my mods I found I had about a hundred CC eye presets, and with those gone, the number of the Maxis ones that look Asian is actually still small - but it's balanced now for good diversity.

Perhaps the OP has some CC making these look different than they normally would.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    I’m glad they’ve been added, but I did think some of them looked a bit weird in my game.
    Ok I just made these two sims using the new eyes but I tweaked them a little bit.

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,819 Member
    @Dianesims they're both beautiful! :)
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited May 2021
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    Well, as someone who is Asian, lived and grew up there, and whose IRL eyes are actually represented by the latest patch, I felt that “
    really ugly, cartoonish, and completely useless
    comment on a personal level lol. It’s really sad that you can’t find use for these presets just because they are not decent enough for you to consider. Au contraire, chunky eyelashes aside, and with a little tweaking, I actually find these new presets useful and quite similar with other I’m pretty sure were real Asians I knew, but go off I guess.

Hey, it's okay to agree to disagree and I definitely disagree. Hence the topic post, lol!
    Hello all:

Not sure if this was already brought up as I didn't see it in the topic section, but the most recent patch added a lot of new Asian Eye Presets in the CAS section. I was surprised to see them as I hadn't notice any players ever complaining about wanting this in CAS or just wanting this addition in the game at all.

What also made this addition even more puzzling is the the majority of the eye presets in CAS are already Asian oriented. If anything, we need more of a variety of eye presets for other ethnicities including European, Island, and African types, lol.

Regardless, upon scrolling through these new Asian eye presets, I found that only two were decent enough to use as opposed to rest. The rest of these new Asian presets are really ugly, cartoonish, and completely useless for those of us who like to create sims that look as real as possible.
    I mean, honestly, though I am part Asian, I found most of them to be a bit insulting, too. Like in a stereotypical way. Did anyone else have a chance to look through them in CAS? If so, what did you think? I always applaud EA when they try offer up more choices with things in the Sims 4 game. But this one totally missed the mark for me.

I've always found that the Asian modders to do a better job at making Asian sims look more realistic Asian so you might want to look into them. But I guess Maxis is doing this because May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. So I think that's nice.

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't have the modders help design these Asian eye presets. Maybe, they'll consider it in the future.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    nooo the new eye presets are beautiful

but i agree its bit weird of them to target " asian eyes presets" only

given that 99% of the base game eye presets just result in creepy looking possessed sims unless you edit the heck out of em

and also that some of these eye presets work just as well for non asian folks so there is really no reason to label them asian in first place just say new eye presets

but either way i am happy to have some presets that don't result in OWO sims

Right, I agree with all your points except only some look nice, but not most. The rest definitely requires a lot tweaking or are useless as I said.
    Asian eyes are "insulting" now? 🙄okay.
    I quite like them. And the variety is nice for different types of sim looks. Some want real some want cartoony. I personally always thought we never had enough Asian eyes. I'm south Asian with the big almond eyes. I don't particularly race play but many of my sims "look" East Asian as that's more of the general look I usually have in mind for certain sims, and they are quite happy with the new variety it's lovely!! 😁😍

I never said that Asian eyes are insulting as I have them. I'm saying some of the newest ones that came with the latest patch in the game are insulting. Not sure how you missed that, lol. In terms of having enough, we have plenty and way more than as I said, other ethnicities which is weird since people of all ethnic backgrounds play as well. Not just those of Asian decent.
    Jyotai wrote: »
    I really love this new addition.

And as for cartoonish. That's the Sims.

Personally I did NOT find many of the pre-existing eye presets to be Asian, so this is welcome.

If you want realism you need to turn to mod sites that overwrite everything.

I was looking at them and found one or two of these that 'clipped' when a sim blinked - but I suspect that is due to some CC I have that messes with default lashes. A lot of CC out there tends to clip when used outside of a narrow scope.

Restarted my game with all mods turned off, looked at them again - no clipping, no weird ones, they all look great.

In fact when I turned off my mods I found I had about a hundred CC eye presets, and with those gone, the number of the Maxis ones that look Asian is actually still small - but it's balanced now for good diversity.

Perhaps the OP has some CC making these look different than they normally would.

Except, we shouldn't have to turn to mods for better representation and variety, lol. Especially, for as much as we pay for these packs. Just saying.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I’m glad they’ve been added, but I did think some of them looked a bit weird in my game.

As I said, I'm glad whenever EA adds things to CAS. Except I agree that some looked really weird!

The underlying idea of this topic is about EA being more inclusive. But not at the cost of making others feel left out. Thus far, EA is doing better in terms of skin tones, noses, and lips. Now, they need to also work on adding a bigger variety for the eyes and names of npc's or spawned sims. Fingers crossed, they will. will.

(CM: Edited to merger multiple posts in a row together)
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    I like some of the new Asian eyes; however I notices so of the others look a bit wrinkly.
    edited May 2021
    Ok I just made these two sims using the new eyes but I tweaked them a little bit.

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

Nice job. But you picked the few new eye presets that are fine as it is. It's the majority of the new ones that came with the latest patch that would take a lot more tweaking and some you can't at all. Those are the ones I am referring to.

(CM: Edited to merger multiple posts in a row together)
    Well these for instance are a bit odd :

cgyJcCj.png

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

Nice job. But you picked the few new eye presets that are fine as it is. It's the majority of the new ones that came with the latest patch that would take a lot more tweaking and some you can't at all. Those are the ones I am referring to.

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I agree that some presets are weird, however, it's possible to make them look decent by editing.
    KzkON78hvE0.jpg?size=1366x768&quality=96&sign=ea0bf4b45d161b1a097df81a25efc0a2&type=album
    5Jkk-eie87U.jpg?size=1366x768&quality=96&sign=3b88f369eb0e7deec8e03da0da493105&type=album
    And some old "european" eye presets look cartoonish too, for example, this is just Disney:
    6_eeJJthC4s.jpg?size=1366x768&quality=96&sign=26efe4df29e0ed6ae8e75f4553d7287a&type=album

I wish we had more non-monolid eye presets without lashes though. I don't mind ea lashes, actually, but they look unnatural on blonde and readheaded sims.
    I've always found that the Asian modders to do a better job at making Asian sims look more realistic Asian so you might want to look into them.

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't have the modders help design these Asian eye presets. Maybe, they'll consider it in the future.

I'm kinda glad they didn't.

This preset was yes, about self-representation for me as well.

But if those modders had done it, they'd be too realistic and out of step with the existing theme of the game. All those 'Alpha' modders are great, but if you down that route you need a full replace of everything or it ends up too inconsistent. When you do it with a body feature like eyes especially - I would find that very jarring.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • instantmagicinstantmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Ha! I don't even know how to find them in the game.
    edited May 2021
    Ha! I don't even know how to find them in the game.

In CAS, click on the eyes of a sim, and a list of eye presets should show up on the right. Some of them are new, some are old. If you've got a few dozen of them - they're from Maxis. If you seem to have hundreds of them, one of your mods has added a bunch more. I had to turn off my mods to figure out what exactly was being discussed here. One of my mods adds a good hundred more of them, all more cartoony.

edited May 2021

cgyJcCj.png

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

Nah, it's some way worst than these, lol! Like you can't even tweak them.
    I've always found that the Asian modders to do a better job at making Asian sims look more realistic Asian so you might want to look into them.

But if those modders had done it, they'd be too realistic and out of step with the existing theme of the game. All those 'Alpha' modders are great, but if you down that route you need a full replace of everything or it ends up too inconsistent. When you do it with a body feature like eyes especially - I would find that very jarring.

Not really. Especially if you consider the contributions of some Ytubers and other outside designers who participated in designing the new eye presets along with other new items with their anniversary patch. Those came out good and in step with the rest of the game.

I'm confused, do you use eye preset mods or not? If so, why keep them if you find them out of step with the game or cartoony, lol?
    Well maybe show us which ones you mean ?

cgyJcCj.png

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

cgyJcCj.png

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

Unless you show me how, I don't know how to attach the picture here or I would have put it in my original post, lol. Maybe, you can find it. IDK, there's one that looks really bad if you scroll down under the new Asian preset "eyes". I think it's on the right side column, midway down and the entire eye is wavy and cartoonish looking. If you can't find it. That's ok. I think eventually you will and know exactly what I'm referring to, lol.
    There’s a tutorial here on how to post a picture, I use Imgur too.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/830602/tutorial-how-to-upload-pictures-to-this-forum/p1

cgyJcCj.png

TOREBaW.png
    x7pB00L.png

Unless you show me how, I don't know how to attach the picture here or I would have put it in my original post, lol. Maybe, you can find it. IDK, there's one that looks really bad if you scroll down under the new Asian preset "eyes". I think it's on the right side column, midway down and the entire eye is wavy and cartoonish looking. If you can't find it. That's ok. I think eventually you will and know exactly what I'm referring to, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top