Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does merging packages make Sims run better?

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if merging packages make The Sims 4 runs better?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Depending on your specs on your PC if it’s already running slow then chances are it’s going to run even slower with more packs. Upgrading your PC will make the game run more smoothly even with more packs. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t experience bugs & simulation lag at times.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    No, merging doesn't help. Do check for duplicates and to remove any special characters from the file names. If you don't regularly access your Library area, you could move the Tray folder somewhere outside the Sims 4 folder (sometimes that helps). Higher-poly CC will slow the game more than lower-poly CC. As @Justin says, just having a lot of CC generally or more packs will slow the game depending on your system. Other things that slow it down: playing on bigger lots, playing on more stuffed-with-objects lots, and having more Sims with more relationships.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    What I found with merging packs, is it will decrease your loading time, IF you have significant loading times that is. It does not actually "make the game run better".

I've never had any issues with TS4 lagging or anything like that tho.

Whenever I have 20GB-30GB of CC in my mods folder and nothing has been merged, it might take 15 minutes to load the game.

If that same CC has been merged into multiple packages (I always merge by creator, so I probably have about 200 merged packages), then my load time would decrease to about 5-7 minutes.

As @luthienrising stated, making sure you have no duplicates and renaming your packages so there's no special characters, helps with load times too.

I also know that if you have a very large tray file it can slow down loading times as well.

And, I did hear if you clear out your sims inventory that helps with some lag, but I can't confirm that.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited May 2021
    What I found with merging packs, is it will decrease your loading time, IF you have significant loading times that is. It does not actually "make the game run better".

Whenever I have 20GB-30GB of CC in my mods folder and nothing has been merged, it might take 15 minutes to load the game.

If that same CC has been merged into multiple packages (I always merge by creator, so I probably have about 200 merged packages), then my load time would decrease to about 5-7 minutes.

As @luthienrising stated, making sure you have no duplicates and renaming your packages so there's no special characters, helps with load times too.

I also know that if you have a very large tray file it can slow down loading times as well.

And, I did hear if you clear out your sims inventory that helps with some lag, but I can't confirm that.

Clearing out your sims inventory will help.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2021

There's no need to merge any packages for quicker game load times. All you have to do is turn off that CC List thingy that pops up when you start up your game (you can turn off the cc list in the options menu). Turn that off, exit your game and then start it back up again. You're loading time will drop down to just a couple of minutes at the most... the load speed will blow your socks off! :D

I have around 25 GB of cc/mods and my game boots up in under 2 minutes ever since I turned it off.

Here's a link to the thread where I first learned about this awesome little trick: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17592760#Comment_17592760
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    No, merging doesn't help. Do check for duplicates and to remove any special characters from the file names. If you don't regularly access your Library area, you could move the Tray folder somewhere outside the Sims 4 folder (sometimes that helps). Higher-poly CC will slow the game more than lower-poly CC. As @Justin says, just having a lot of CC generally or more packs will slow the game depending on your system. Other things that slow it down: playing on bigger lots, playing on more stuffed-with-objects lots, and having more Sims with more relationships.

Oh my gosh, how did I not know this?? Imma bout to use MCCC to delete my famous sim's 9000 relationships with his goofy fans!
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    logion wrote: »

Clearing out your sims inventory will help.
    Uploading pictures and videos to cloud helps a lot too and helps when upgrading computers too backing things up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @AncientMuse WOW! Thanks for that tip, I never knew that and now I want to try that out!
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    It also depends on how big the file is as well as the specs of the platform that you are playing on. ;)
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Years ago in a Discord chat, an experienced modders explained that merging cc can be an effective way to shorten loading screens if a person had a graphics reader? that was the kind that scrambled data as it loads. Apparently, there are other ones that do not. I'm not a PC person so I have forgotten the correct terms. The upshot was, that if you had the reader that randomized data it would help, if you have the other it would not.
    Mine is a scramble one, I noticed a definite improvement when I merged my cc. My thought is, that the people who say it doesn't help have better PC's than I do and have the readers that don't scramble data to read it, therefore it doesn't help them.
    My advice is to try and see if there is an improvement.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    No, merging doesn't help.

What I'm finding with merged packages that have been in things I downloaded is that they often contain duplicates of things I had elsewhere, and I lose 'control' of how current those duplicates are.

I've had to delete a number of things because of 'bad / out of date CC' that crept in this way.

Now, that's not really your question - I gather you're looking at merging done on your own system. But I suspect it wasn't the intent of the mod makers I grabbed from to start putting out corrupt out-of-date files... But once you start merging, it's just going to be harder to remember what version everything is in various files. On your own system you increase your risk of doing what those CC-makers did with their merged packs - and forgetting that in 'that file over there' is an item that got a critical update due to a recent Maxis patch...
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I have merged CC too because instead of downloading hundreds (actually, thousands) of files from a single creator, I decided that it would be easier to get entire collections as single files, which was true ... but as @jyotai says if some of that CC becomes outdated, it's not an easy fix. I can't just remove the outdated bits from my CC folder, but need to actually unmerge everything and redo the collection just for a few things.

On the other, my game loads in no time at all, but I think that has more to do with my specs than how I have my CC organized.
  • Options
    Nyane81Nyane81 Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you everyone for your help. I will do that.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'm pretty clueless on modding, but if it doesn't make it run slower, and it could make it run faster then you might as well merge them just in case it does improve it at all.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm pretty clueless on modding, but if it doesn't make it run slower, and it could make it run faster then you might as well merge them just in case it does improve it at all.
    It depend on how the game is set up. Two examples of what I'm talking about.
    Sims 4: The devs at Maxis say that the mods can break your game.
    Example two:
    Conan Exiles developed by Funcom, Oslo, Norway.
    The Conan Exiles devs at Funcom say that Conan Exiles can break the mods that you have installed on the game.
    So again, it depends on how the game was set up. Bottom line is that not even the devs that make the game can tell you exactly how mods will impact your game. Only you the player can do that through modding your game.
  • Options
    erixaaerixaa Posts: 17 Member
    I just merged a few packs and my game feels a little faster I think.