Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 may be here for quite awhile.

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    The core engine upgrade gets me excited.

But as others mentioned...

When I’m an old man and all I can do in The Sims 4 is watch the grass grow from a green shade to a shade greener I will know that those easily triggered Nerf Birds came in flocks, pooped on my game and won.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited May 2021
    with Sims 4 being 7 years old this year

that statement just implies additional 3-8 years for the game

its only 3 years more until game is 10 years old and year is 2024

8 years more= 15 years old game and that would then put need for next sims game all the way to 2029 (unlikely but tbh it sounds kind of intriguing as well)

for me I would ideally like to see ts4 continue to at least 2025 and i would hate it getting dropped any earlier

because lot of possibilities are still unexplored and game lacks quite many things which simply would not fit in year or two with their current release schedule

so this is in line with my thoughts for the game

i dont want to see TS5 before TS4 gets to shine as bright as previous sims games or even brighter

heck as someone who has been playing since ts1 i just dont want to start over with new base game and wait all those basic eps for 5th time
    at least not yet
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    That's nice. Core engine upgrade maybe means open neighbourhoods? Better whims system like wants/fears? CAW? More hair colors?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's important to note that "support" is very different to being the active game, Sims 3 is still supported to an extent and it's been 12 years. They released an update just last year for the Sims 3 to keep it supported on Mac, and honestly it could even be talking about bringing back support for Sims 2. It's best not to read too far into it as it really doesn't mean Sims 4 is gonna be the active game until 2029.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I would also like to see an upgrade where children can play games without objects such as tag.

I'd like tag, but I can't imagine it would be implemented well if the routing involved in water balloon/snowball fights is anything to go by. :p

(Love most of your ideas, though.)

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

When I’m an old man and all I can do in The Sims 4 is watch the grass grow from a green shade to a shade greener I will know that those easily triggered Nerf Birds came in flocks, pooped on my game and won.

well maybe twitter will die soon less and less people are using it and there losing money @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I can't wait to see how much more buggy this will become in the next few years. Oh boy, as someone who doesn't play the Sims 4 much anymore this will be absolutely entertaining.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021
    Imagine how many packs could be potentially released in 10 years.

Even with a game engine update I can't imagine how the game will cope with it all. I am looking forward to seeing what's to come though.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I guess it's worked for, uhhhh, Minecraft? World of Warcraft? I don't know. Sims 4 was designed, at the start, for very old systems. And while they've updated, there are still the limitations. I'm hoping they're able to do a major overhaul, improving the AI, fixing the simulation issues, tackling bugs, cleaning up the spaghetti code, etc. It will be interesting to see if any developer moves into the life sim genre, as this is going to create a bit of a vacuum.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member

I wonder if "core engine upgrade" could mean the game can support more complex features. For example, I remember quite a while back that the gurus were experimenting with Sims holding hands while walking, but they said they couldn't get it to work. Maybe the upgrade could help them do things like that?
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    Wait I'm stupid, I don't see where it says anything about a core engine upgrade. Or was this said in a different article?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Another 5 years? 😀 Time for a laptop upgrade.
    Exactly. Heard Simmers have had better gaming experiences upgrading to a gaming laptop.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Exactly. Heard Simmers have had better gaming experiences upgrading to a gaming laptop.

I have an Alienware gaming laptop but if this game is gonna go on for another 5 years I may need another one. :p
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I have an Alienware gaming laptop but if this game is gonna go on for another 5 years I may need another one. :p
    Oh nice. Alienwares are really good gaming rigs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • IndrewIndrew Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2021
    This is all nice and well until another company puts out a life simulator with uptodate/realisticer(sp?) graphics and better gameplay in the next few years leaving Sims 4 holding the bag. EA has probably surveyed the competition and has decided they have a lock on the life sim market, so it doesn't need to innovate in the near term. They gambled once before with Simcity and folded when CO released their game. Same might happen here if a decent enough life sim gets released by another company. Whether that is a good thing depends on this other company. CO has been dragging their feet on CSL 2 which is starting to make them feel like EA 2.0.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sounds great. I'm enjoying the game.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    As long as we undo all the nerfs
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited May 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    Wait I'm stupid, I don't see where it says anything about a core engine upgrade. Or was this said in a different article?

@Gordy
    It was in a job posting listed for a Core Software Engineer:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/988947/improvements-to-ts4s-core-game-engine/p1
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

If it makes you feel any better, I'm must be stooopid too cause I didn't see mention about a core engine upgrade. But again, they could be referring to an article I haven't read yet.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

If it makes you feel any better, I'm must be stooopid too cause I didn't see mention about a core engine upgrade. But again, they could be referring to an article I haven't read yet.

Isn’t it because of the Maxis job listing that included core upgrading as part of the job responsibility? @Chicklet453681, you made a post about it, I think?

• Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2021

Or maybe not unless you plan on playing newer gen games, etc. My laptop by todays' standards is ancient(bought it in 2016) and and Sims 4 is already an old game.

There's one exception for me though... Simcity 4 was trip lol - the bigger the cities the longer my laptop would cry.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited May 2021
    @NationalPokedex Ohhh yeah! Thanks for the reminder! I completely forgot about that! Now I do feel like a dummy! LOL I thought it was referring to something that one of the EA high up execs had said in an interview or something.

@Gordy here's the link to the post I made regarding that job posting so you can read it
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/988947/improvements-to-ts4s-core-game-engine/p1
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    That is actually the best news i could hear today. It will give plenty of time to tune the game better and improve on it's biggest issues, if there's the will to do so.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The longer the Sims 4 goes on, the more base game updates it will recieve, and if recent trends are anything to speculate off of, (sentiments, overhauled skin and makeup, new scared emotion, updated traits, bunk beds, new hair colours, updated BG hairs, sectional seating???) then I'm real excited for the coming years. Personally I'm not too bothered by them deciding to continue Sims 4, for a couple reasons.

1. There is no guarantee that the next sims game will be the perfect sims game that caters to everyone's preferences, I have no doubt the next sims game will bring with it its own set of disappointments.
    2. Sims 4 is my favourite out of the franchise, so more content to come is always good news to me.
    3. At this point I own so many packs, buying new content is no longer a priority for me. I have so much to play around with that base game updates are the only thing I'm really looking forward too, the future packs will all be bonuses at that point.

I have some theories as to why they want to continue Sims 4 for as long as they plan.

1. For one, they love to brag about their community, and they should, not many games have a player base as vibrant, invested, eccentric, and vocal as the sims community. This community is their biggest source of income when it comes to this franchise, releasing a new game would risk splitting/stunting the well established, relatively stable community. I suspect the community is a big factor behind many of their strategies, releasing a new game and splitting the community up is exactly what I think EA is trying to avoid doing.
    2. It's a lot less expensive to continue developing/updating an existing game. Why make a new game to sell $40 packs, when a game already exists that can sell $40 packs?

My main concern is how stable the game will remain. If they can substantially reduce and fix the amount of bugs and issues this game has, then fine by me. But currently the game is a mess and needs refinement before they even think of continuing this game for a possible 8 more years. So moral of the story, fix the game, then give us more content. :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Beats the alternative. I do wish they'd do some serious bug squishing though.