Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims™ 4, life to date, has almost 36 million players

logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
From the Electronic Arts Q4 and FY21 Financial Results Report:

"The Sims™ 4, life to date, has almost 36 million players and delivered its sixth
consecutive year of franchise growth."

So what does this mean? Well, from what I believe that they have said from other reports...

Q3 2021: 33 million players
Q3 2020: 20 million players

That means that the sims4 is still reaching out to a lot of people. And that Maxis should be proud of those numbers. However, it's life to date so I'm assuming that they are counting since 2014.

They mentioned that they reached all time high in monthly reached record daily, weekly, and monthly average players in December (they didn't say how high that number was). I could not find any mention of that in the Q4 FY21 report. (They have only released one stuff pack and three kits between then and now.) I couldn't find any information if kits had been doing well either.

Still, it looks like the sims4 is still reaching out to a lot of people.

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2021
    Which makes me believe EA is wracking their brains trying to figure out how to make the game so popular that people will buy Plumbob plushies, T-Shirts, and coffee mugs and sit down to watch The Sims movie and TV shows. Despite being a Top selling video game franchise, they are at the bottom of the potential money making pile.

It seems crazy to me that The Sims Franchise would rank that low and makes me question how they calculated the money.
    But then again, there is still a certain stigma about The Sims:
    The Sims
    The Sims (pictured top of story) is a game for children, teenagers at best, many claim. Other say that only people who have no life of their own would spend hours and even days playing a game that simulates, well- life. From the release of The Sims in 2000 and up until now it has been regarded as a game which is not for adults, or even serious gamers.

Sims_45a.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Sims_45b.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well I personally believe that part of the growth from 2020-2021 was because of lock-downs and the pandemic. People were stuck inside bored and were looking for entertainment.

It would be interesting to see how they would have done if 2020-2021 had been a typical, average year among people's lives.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2021
    Well I personally believe that part of the growth from 2020-2021 was because of lock-downs and the pandemic. People were stuck inside bored and were looking for entertainment.

It would be interesting to see how they would have done if 2020-2021 had been a typical, average year among people's lives.

I believe that's the case too. I think they saw a huge increase in player numbers because of the pandemic. It will be interesting to see if it will continue.

I myself thought that the packs we got in 2020 were not that great compared to previous years, like 2019.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i gotta say that's pretty amazing! i believe the pandemic has to do with that- which honestly, means that some were spending stimilus money on an Ep, pack, kit or stuff pack. pretty cool. i started playing in 2021 tho.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    So that's why they pump pack after pack instead of moving to sims 5.
    edited May 2021
    Wolfium wrote: »

Possibly, life to date players doesn't tell us how many people that are playing regularly and buying packs though. They mention sales numbers in the report but that's for all of their franchises, not just the sims.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    logion wrote: »

Possibly, life to date players doesn't tell us how many people that are playing regularly and buying packs though. They mention sales numbers in the report but that's for all of their franchises, not just the sims.

so those number could be sims 3 sales or 2 sales as well?
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
    edited May 2021

so those number could be sims 3 sales or 2 sales as well?

The sales numbers are from all of their franchises so I think they mean all sims games when they say The Sims™ in the report.

The life to date players are for the sims 4.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I don't think these numbers are very reliable.

What constitutes a Sims 4 "player"? It could be anyone.
    Maybe they got the base game for free and played it for 2 minutes. The base game was free for a while, and I'm sure they're including those people in the numbers.
    They're also not counting people who haven't played or bought a pack in months or years. There are people who barely played the game and are considered players.

If they wanted to be more convincing with these numbers, they would only count players as people that consistently PLAY and PURCHASE packs.

All of these numbers are just fluff and corporate talk for big money. They're meant to mislead investors into putting more money into EA. Nothing more.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    How many of these players got the base game for free or for $4 on steam? I know many people on steam who got it and tried it and then abandoned it after a couple of hours/days. I tried to get them set up with mods and things to make it more enjoyable, but they just didn't like it so left.

I think these numbers are inflated with the amount of people who got the game for free and don't really play it.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Giving the game away for free has to impact those numbers. Also, a lot of people install the game on multiple devices, so I’m sure they’re counted 2-3 times.
    bixters wrote: »
    I don't think these numbers are very reliable.

What constitutes a Sims 4 "player"? It could be anyone.
    Maybe they got the base game for free and played it for 2 minutes. The base game was free for a while, and I'm sure they're including those people in the numbers.
    They're also not counting people who haven't played or bought a pack in months or years. There are people who barely played the game and are considered players.

If they wanted to be more convincing with these numbers, they would only count players as people that consistently PLAY and PURCHASE packs.

All of these numbers are just fluff and corporate talk for big money. They're meant to mislead investors into putting more money into EA. Nothing more.

These numbers have only gone up since the game released so I'm assuming that they are counting anyone who owns the game since 2014 and could be someone who may or may not buy a pack.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    And this is why I wouldn't count on TS5 anytime soon. Oh, they'll develop it...but they're not going to release it when TS4 is still so profitable
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Meh. EA DID put their EA Play subscription offerings on Steam and other digital stores like Microsoft/Xbox Game Pass. So TS4 can be said to be on the subscriber's accounts - without the subscriber ever being actually interested in the game and not playing it whatsoever.

If TS4 really is as successful as they try to portray it, they wouldn't be giving it away free or putting its packs on free trial or pull other tricks. The previous iterations never needed to do any of that.

If TS4 is TRULY successful, EA would put TS2 back in the stores on Origin AND Steam. Go on EA! I DARE you to put TS2 back on sale!

• jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I only started playing The Sims 4 in March this year. The last time I played a Sims game before that was like in 2006, I played Sims 1 and Sims 2. It's been a very long time.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Well it is successful but not as overly-successful considering the circumstances of
    1. how often the game has been free or very very cheap and people might own it and not play.
    2. Bundles it was given away with people bought and got the Sims 4 with it for free and have it now abandonded in their libraries.
    3. In order to play the Sims 4 on your Steam account you have to rebuy the base game (so a lot of people own the game twice).

No doubt it's a successful game but it's important to see what may have contributed to these numbers. Also numbers don't equal quality or enjoyment but that's another story.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited May 2021
    Well it is successful but not as overly-successful considering the circumstances of
    1. how often the game has been free or very very cheap and people might own it and not play.
    2. Bundles it was given away with people bought and got the Sims 4 with it for free and have it now abandonded in their libraries.
    3. In order to play the Sims 4 on your Steam account you have to rebuy the base game (so a lot of people own the game twice).

No doubt it's a successful game but it's important to see what may have contributed to these numbers. Also numbers don't equal quality or enjoyment but that's another story.

They gained 3 million players between Feb 2 (Q3 FY2021 report) and May 11 (Q4 2021 report) without having released any packs. All that Maxis released was three kits for the sims4.

So my best guess is that they will always get new players and lose older players over time but what probably contributed a lot was sims4 on game pass (which means that they don't own the game) which happened in march.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    edited May 2021
    You don't have to do that, actually. With Steam, you can register games not purchased through the store, on your Steam library. I just tried it now, and I could play the game from Steam.

EDIT: Strangely though, it won't recognize my Sims 4 game as the one in the store, so I can't review the product or any of the DLCs I have.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    You don't have to do that, actually. With Steam, you can register games not purchased through the store, on your Steam library. I just tried it now, and I could play the game from Steam.

EDIT: Strangely though, it won't recognize my Sims 4 game as the one in the store, so I can't review the product or any of the DLCs I have.

At least back in June 2020 this is what EA_Darko said "Hey all, it is not currently possible to move games from Origin to any other platform. I will pass your feedback on."

The thing you are talking about is registering external games to your library. All that does is just launch your game like always. It's just so that you can play press on Steam but it still is the same game from Origin. If you want to use The Sims 4 on Steam you have to rebuy the base game.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    if these numbers are true, I can see why EA would want to continue developing content for the long term. Sims 4 is the most accessible Sims game ever, it's on 4 major consoles, runs relatively well on modest PC's and Macs, and is available on a few subscription services. Launching a new Sims game would sabotage the huge platform Sims 4 has. Why launch a new sims game to sell DLC content to a new and growing player base, when you can continue selling DLC to an already existing player base?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    Gordy wrote: »

At least back in June 2020 this is what EA_Darko said "Hey all, it is not currently possible to move games from Origin to any other platform. I will pass your feedback on."

The thing you are talking about is registering external games to your library. All that does is just launch your game like always. It's just so that you can play press on Steam but it still is the same game from Origin. If you want to use The Sims 4 on Steam you have to rebuy the base game.
    Yep not possible. It is possible to do the reverse. You can register Steam games on Origin.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    if these numbers are true, I can see why EA would want to continue developing content for the long term. Sims 4 is the most accessible Sims game ever, it's on 4 major consoles, runs relatively well on modest PC's and Macs, and is available on a few subscription services. Launching a new Sims game would sabotage the huge platform Sims 4 has. Why launch a new sims game to sell DLC content to a new and growing player base, when you can continue selling DLC to an already existing player base?

A successful sims5 could lead to them getting even more player numbers over time. These 36 million people are going to want to move to something else eventually (many of them are probably not very active considering that they are counting from 2014).

So I think it will depend on how much more player numbers they will get over time. And how many that will stay active and play the game.
    I always like reading the prepared remarks with these: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/Q4/Q4-FY21-Prepared-Remarks-Final.pdf

Sims related ones including SimCity:
    "This model is how we’ve built FIFA, Apex Legends, Madden NFL and The Sims
    into some of the most successful, global live service businesses in the industry, and we are
    applying it as a blueprint across our franchises."

"Turning to Q4 specifically, the beat was driven by live services, primarily by Apex Legends and
    FIFA Ultimate Team. Mobile also beat our expectations, driven by outperformance from Star
    Wars: Galaxy of Heroes and SimCity BuildIt. "

"Throughout FY22, we will continue transforming mobile into a growth center for our business.
    With the recent re-organization and hiring of new leadership and talent into our EA mobile
    teams, we are in position to maximize our leading mobile live services – including Star Wars:
    Galaxy of Heroes, The Sims and Real Racing – by growing player acquisition, deepening
    engagement and player investment, and driving new opportunities in non-western markets."
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    I always like reading the prepared remarks with these: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/Q4/Q4-FY21-Prepared-Remarks-Final.pdf

into some of the most successful, global live service businesses in the industry, and we are

"Turning to Q4 specifically, the beat was driven by live services, primarily by Apex Legends and
    FIFA Ultimate Team. Mobile also beat our expectations, driven by outperformance from Star

"Throughout FY22, we will continue transforming mobile into a growth center for our business.
    With the recent re-organization and hiring of new leadership and talent into our EA mobile
    teams, we are in position to maximize our leading mobile live services – including Star Wars:
    Galaxy of Heroes, The Sims and Real Racing – by growing player acquisition, deepening
    engagement and player investment, and driving new opportunities in non-western markets."

Mobile games are very profitable... I wonder how many of those 36 million people that play the sims on mobile. I tried the sims mobile for a while but I got bored because everything was real time and took forever.
    Scobre wrote: »

Mobile games are very profitable... I wonder how many of those 36 million people that play the sims on mobile. I tried the sims mobile for a while but I got bored because everything was real time and took forever.
    Yeah there is the Sims Freeplay is still being developed as well. I got bored of the mobile games too.