Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lets talk about non-consentual alien abduction pregnancies...

Comments

• LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Lazzial wrote: »
    What you're describing would be rated A+ adults only. The M rating specifically says "sexual content". Just because it's not explicit in the game doesn't mean it's not there because we all know it is.

No, you are mistaken. The ESRB rates games. They apply the standard. They DEFINE the standard. And sexual *themes* are rated T. Nor does is matter which genders are smootching. The degree of explicit content defines the rating. Sims kiss. Then veiled, sparkly-heart "woohoo" happens. It's T-rated.

We don't know what Alien pollination of Sims involves. But it is asinine *not* to object to it, over the six years since Get To Work has been in game, let alone however long Alien abduction has been a theme in The Sims, and then *suddenly* discover an objection, coincidentally after a Trait has been modified, concerns raised, and modifications changed for valid reason.

This entire thread is a stalking horse for an argument the OP can't make openly without saying the sorts of things Community guidelines forbid, and it's sketchy.

Directly from the ESRB website:

Sexual Content - Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity.

The Teen rating doesn't mention sex at all.

PEoRar1.jpg

I think it goes way beyond "suggestive themes".
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sexual Content - Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity.

@Lazzial Is there any depiction of sexual behavior in the Sims 4 though? I don't think so. The act is callled "woohoo", what is happening under the sheets has 0 resemblance to actual sexual behavior and the alien thing is a rabbit hole in which you can't see any sexual behavior either.

All the Sims does is "suggest" that the Sims are taking part in some kind of sexual behavior. It is all higly suggestive but no actual depiction of anything sexual, similarly to "alcohol". There are suggestive themes for both drinking and sexual behavior but that's all they are suggestive themes, no depictions.

An adult that sees the "woohoo" interaction of course understands what it suggests to be because they know what sexual behavior is, a kid that doesn't know anything about sexual behavior isn't exposed to any depictions of it at all in this game and will not understand what the game suggests when it says "woohoo". It's just innuendos, no depictions.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    People who never have alien abductions:

Me with my second and third generation:
    qMGq02X.png
    and it's just because all of them are aliens
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I’ve always hated alien abductions they happened all the time in my sims 3 game I got so fed up with them. For this reason I was very reluctant to buy get to work and when I heard how infrequent they are in the game I decided to buy it. However I seem to have a few abductions and one of my male sims got pregnant and had the baby. I’m sorry if my opinion offends anyone but I find it very unnatural for a male sim to fall pregnant so it really sent my game in another direction. However I do think sims should not get pregnant from abductions male or female I personally find it odd. I don’t find it triggering just odd but sims has always been an odd game I’m just more on the realistic spectrum gameplay wise.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    But the story goes, the aliens inplant the seed perhaps through the bellybutton. A tiny laparoscopic incision. The male anatomy is the perfect environment for incubation. The water sack contains nutrients the baby needs. Then unfortunately a Csection is required to get the baby out.

That’s it. From now on I’ll be covering my bellybutton.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    But the story goes, the aliens inplant the seed perhaps through the bellybutton. A tiny laparoscopic incision. The male anatomy is the perfect environment for incubation. The water sack contains nutrients the baby needs. Then unfortunately a Csection is required to get the baby out.

That’s it. From now on I’ll be covering my bellybutton.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I've said that before and I will keep saying it 'till the day I die. Always cover your webcam and your bellybutton with band-aid!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    This so reminds me of when I was pregnant with my daughter 26 years ago. I actually called her my little alien before she was born. :D
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    Your Sim can always give the alien baby back to those on Sixam.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member

PEoRar1.jpg

@Lazzial Is there any depiction of sexual behavior in the Sims 4 though? I don't think so. The act is callled "woohoo", what is happening under the sheets has 0 resemblance to actual sexual behavior and the alien thing is a rabbit hole in which you can't see any sexual behavior either.

All the Sims does is "suggest" that the Sims are taking part in some kind of sexual behavior. It is all higly suggestive but no actual depiction of anything sexual, similarly to "alcohol". There are suggestive themes for both drinking and sexual behavior but that's all they are suggestive themes, no depictions.

I'll quote it again. Directly from the ESRB website. "Sexual Content - Non-explicit depictions" So, are we really going to play dumb right now? Okay, I'll play. Lets all pretend the bed just bounces around on its own during "woohoo". Dude, give me a break.

@Lazzial You are saying the Sims 4 has non-explicit depictions of sexual content and I'm asking you where? The bed is bouncing around so what? That's a suggestion of sexual content, it's not a depiction of it. I don't know if you haven't had it for a long time but sexual behavior doesn't have to do much with the bed bouncing, yes it is an concequence of sexual behavior but a bed bouncing shows no sexual behavior, it only suggests it.
    A suggestion is usually understood only by the people who know about it beforehand (adults), kids don't understand these "suggestions", so they aren't exposed to anything.

I'm pretty sure the ESRB, who gave the Sims 4 a T rating, did actually see these woohoo interactions and deemed them appropriate for teens. And again if you are 13 and up, is there really a chance these suggestions are exposing you to something you didn't know? 13 is someone who is already entering puberty, how is Sims woohoo too explicit for someone 13 or older?

Right, and the fact the teen rating doesn't mention sexual anything is my point exactly because it's more than just implied in the game.

PEoRar1.jpg

But it does does. It's the "suggestive themes" mentioned on the picture you've posted. Going by the note on their site: "Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials." where provocative is everything from kissing, to dirty jokes to the implied sex. The whole woohoo scenario and the way it is depicted in a comical way falls into this, it probably was deemed not explicit enough to be tagged as sexual content, which is the next rating by the reviewer.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    @Pamtastic72 Thats why IMO just making the "Investigate strange light" interaction cancellable and the satellite dish available in build buy and usable by all is the best solution. Those who who enjoy being probed by aliens can be probed to their hearts content, those who don't can cancel the action or tell the aliens to shove off totally.

thank you, yes. I (donning my flame proof coat) do not like the whole forced pregnancy either, though I know it's just a bit of silliness. I was one of the rare people who in Sims 4 had a male sim who would be abducted several times a week, even after the nerf. No clue why my game reacted that way. Just being able to cancel the action and have the satellite dish be available to without a cheat AND have it turn on/off rather than needing to be refreshed every 24 hours would have been nice.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Back again, I posted earlier.
    We actually don't know how the male Sim gets the alien baby, it could be face-hugger thing, a kiss, or anything. In Sims 2, Knowledge Sims usually wanted to see Aliens, Vampires, be struck by lightning, etc. I feel that if you are purposefully having your Sims follow a Science career, you are technically putting them on the path of being abducted by Aliens.
    As for the consent thing, I don't think what possibly happens to the male Sim, would not fly in the real world. I don't condone that in real life for males or females.
    HOWEVER, this is a game, a fantasy game at that. I feel that we need to divide real life and fantasy. If you spend your time killing Sims for fun, that doesn't make you a horrible person in real life.
    At the end of the day, Sims aren't real people, so if you want to play realistic, not realistic, or in between it is up to you.
    If I can continue to play with fantasy Sims like Aliens, I wouldn't mind toggles, because so many of them have been nerfed, and I bought the games specifically for that feature. However, I also know that people want Island Adventure for the world, Get to Work for the careers, Vampires for the Goth look, and other stuff.
    Sims 4 gave us the option to create Aliens or get abducted by Aliens, which is an improvement, so if you are not cool with the male Sims getting abducted, then you can create them instead.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I've been playing the Sims 4 a lot recently, exploring aspects of the game I've forgotten such as becoming an astronaut when my recent sim was abducted after using his telescope.

He was returned and on the path to "motherhood" a feature of the Sims 4 get to work, I'd totally forgotten and was totally unwanted in my current game or any game. I literally had to load back 3 save files to reverse this - and I was not happy to do so especially because my sim had a pregnancy forced on them by an unknown person without consent.

I don't care if this only effects male sims, its STILL a NON-CONSENSUAL act of pregnancy that is only possible by being abducted.

Did I just quote a adult mod or something? Nope, its the Sims 4 rated teen!

If somebody told you that they were abducted and forced to become pregnant with a strangers child - you would not be laughing. In the Sims its still a game yes - but its a very annoying and violating experience for my sim to experience no matter HOW THEY IDENTIFY or who/what abducted them. I don't find it funny, I don't find the results funny and in no way was it wanted.

Terming the abductor as "alien" in a game still doesn't remove the fact that this is a non-conseual intimate act that is changing their body and being forced on my sim by other sims I have no ability to stop other than not to use telescopes. Seriously? I have to restrict my sims from doing an activity than anybody of any gender or age should enjoy (star gazing).

Sure I could use mods to disable or get rid of the baby forced on my sim - but lets just sit on what I said for a second. I have to USE MODS to CANCEL a FORCED pregnancy. That in itself is just wrong.

You can argue that I'm being sensative, thats fine but the fact is abducting somebody and forcing pregnancy on them (real or not) is just not funny, its frustrating to deal with in-game and violating in general as a non consentual act. Just look at how many topics have been started on this forum alone going back to 2015 about how to avoid this "feature" or reverse it.

If your sim wants to have an alien baby than they should do it the old fashion way...build a spaceship and go meet some.

EDIT 2: I agree and believe a direct toggle option to disable or enable this feature, should be added to give players more control over it is probably the best option. It allows players who want it in their game to be present and possibly even buffed, but just as importantly an option to turn if off. Giving players the ability to give or remove consent of what content they feel comfortable playing with in their game without censoring it either.

EDIT 1: THIS IS A VALID THREAD dealing with assault, it is not a joke thread. The content mentioned above can be triggering for people who have been victims of assault. Games like the Sims can to be safe spaces for some people, even if its "by aliens" its still a form of assault and its 2021, we can do better for a teen rated game.

Simply laughing it off or making light of assault in media has deeper society consequences because it desensitize the issue until real harm to a person is done.

Often the victims of assault are the last to be heard and the most common.

I find this to be a problem with consent as well. I've answered in other threads only to be told that I'm "over reacting." One person even suggested that the "Pollinator" might have been cute and the Sim responded to that while they were "dazed." That's still a lack of consent!

Frankly, I don't want my Sims to have any pregnancies not of their choosing (meaning that *I*, their "conscience", have not put "try for baby" in their queue.) There are so many things that people like to have in the game that I *don't* want in my game because for me it ruins it. This is one of them. I know that people say that it happens rarely, but it happened to a Sim I was playing this past week. And it's not "funny" to me. And I shouldn't have to use a mod to stop a Sim from having a non-consensual pregnancy.

Like many other things that people like that are "consequences" for them, I wish that they'd make it so that it's an opt in (as in toggled somewhere as a choice) rather than being stuck with it if you don't want it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    I admit I grew up watching Star Trek and Twilight Zone. Sims simply do not have consent of anything we do to them. They are digital robots without free will. They are pretty much the same as cell phones. Adult Barbie dolls don't give consent either with little kids playing with them. Sims is often called a doll house game for a reason, doll woohoo.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ok, now i'm getting a tab bit confused from all the different back and forth opinions - so i'm going to work this out from scratch.....

Question: Is it "possible" for a male sim to be impregnated by an alien without the "player's" consent?
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Ok, now i'm getting a tab bit confused from all the different back and forth opinions - so i'm going to work this out from scratch.....

Question: Is it "possible" for a male sim to be impregnated by an alien without the "player's" consent?

That's the only way it's possible. The abduction cannot be cancelled and you have no control over what happens during. It's far more likely to happen if someone in the household is in the science career, but, at least before I modded them out, it was not a requirement. And if no one in the household is in the science career, then you have no access to the one thing that can prevent the abduction.
    Felicity wrote: »

That's the only way it's possible. The abduction cannot be cancelled and you have no control over what happens during. It's far more likely to happen if someone in the household is in the science career, but, at least before I modded them out, it was not a requirement. And if no one in the household is in the science career, then you have no access to the one thing that can prevent the abduction.

Ok, and if the player chooses "no pregnancy" from the CAS option menu when creating their sim can the male sim still become pregnant from an alien abduction?
    edited May 2021

Ok, and if the player chooses "no pregnancy" from the CAS option menu when creating their sim can the male sim still become pregnant from an alien abduction?

I'm pretty sure that the no pregnancy CAS option is the default for male sims.

Edit: Unless it's been changed, the alien abduction pregnancy for male sims cannot be switched off via the CAS toggle.

Another edit: I wonder if switching the CAS toggle to "can get pregnant" would prevent the alien abduction pregnancy. Of course, that leads to your male sim being able to get pregnant via try for baby, which I really wouldn't like either.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    edited May 2021

1. it can, if resetting sim (needs testing cheats active and shift+click the sim).
    2. you can, (again with the buil/buy enabling cheat).

No mods needed.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    edited May 2021

So far, from the posts i'm reading, (and your replies) the no pregnancy option in the CAS seems to be the only contraceptive to alien invasions. (outside the science career)

I'm going to go create a male sim to see what the default option is for this.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member

Yes.

From Carl's Guide:

Every night, there is a slim chance for Sims to be abducted, but you can boost this greatly by taking part in certain activities. There is a hidden meter that increases and adds a buff that will last about 24h, giving you a chance to get taken that night. You'll need to keep this meter full to maximize the chance Aliens take your Sim to the UFO. When they do arrive, the Sim will head off to investigate a strange light. They are taken for a few hours then returned, Dazed. There is a small chance of Male Sims getting pregnant (like 25%).

Sims in the Get to Work Scientist Career, particularly high ranking ones, get objects that can help with abduction. The Scientist career gives access via the Out of this World Desktop computer that is unlocked at the last level, and the Satellite Dish at Level 4. Both of these do the same thing, and it's on a 24 hour cooldown. Selecting Contact Aliens will lock the ability for the next 24h but give you the maximum level of that "Abduction Meter" we discussed in how abductions work.

There is an interaction on the Telescope (Observatory) unlocked at Level 7 Logic, Search for The Truth. What this does is, raises that meter gradually for every minute you use it. Doing this for a few hours each day will give you the same result as using the computer/satellite. This interaction appears around 8-8:30 PM until dawn but won't be available if you use the contact aliens ability, as your meter is already maxed out. If you want to try for abduction that day, get on it early in the evening.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/how-to/get-abducted.php

edited May 2021

1. it can, if resetting sim (needs testing cheats active and shift+click the sim).
    2. you can, (again with the buil/buy enabling cheat).

No mods needed.

Well, yeah, if you catch the abduction before it's too late, you can reset. Or even reload the game. It's not really a good solution.

And the satellite needs to be reset ever 24 hours. It needs to be actively maintained. This is what I think could fix it. Just have the satellite in the regular catalog, and have it be a toggle rather than having to reset it every day.

Edit: Do console users have access to cheats? Legit question, I have no clue.

Edit: Unless it's been changed, the alien abduction pregnancy for male sims cannot be switched off via the CAS toggle.

Another edit: I wonder if switching the CAS toggle to "can get pregnant" would prevent the alien abduction pregnancy. Of course, that leads to your male sim being able to get pregnant via try for baby, which I really wouldn't like either.

I just noticed your edits.... you're saying that the no pregnancy option in the CAS for male sims is voided for the alien abductions?

So far, from the posts i'm reading, (and your replies) the no pregnancy option in the CAS seems to be the only contraceptive to alien invasions. (outside the science career)

I'm going to go create a male sim to see what the default option is for this.

I think it's the opposite CAS option that potentially can prevent alien abduction pregnancies -- "can get pregnant." I haven't looked at the xml file, though, so I could be wrong.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021

Simmers just have to lock theirs doors at night. It is completely under the player's control if they let their Sims out at night or not. It is like an indoor cat being let outside at night and getting upset they got pregnant because you didn't take the effort to get them fixed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    OK, I create a few male, and female sims to see it repeat itself for comfirmation.

Male sims options:
    ..... Become Pregnant
    ..... Get Others Pregnant
    ..... Neither
    (Default setting) Get Others Pregnant

Female sims options:
    ..... Become Pregnant
    ..... Get Others Pregnant
    ..... Neither
    (Default setting) Become Pregnant

To be sure.... do male sims still get impregnated by aliens even when the "neither" setting is chosen? Or, could it be that we players are simply assuming the "neither" setting is chosen by default, or forgetting to choose that setting for our male sim?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top