Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Career + University?

So can my Sim have a career and go to university at the same time or is it too complicated/hard?
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2021
    I’ve personally never had them do a career and university at the same time. I have had them do part time jobs and odd jobs in the in between time and that works out fine.

Otherwise, they will have to skip or be late to work to go to a class or skip/be late to class to go to work. It’s too much stress if they’re in a career but not much of an issue for a part time thing.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Oh ok that's what i was thinking too. The last time though I've had my Sim graduate, they started at the bottom of the career that i had them in school for. Did I have them do something wrong?
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I’ve personally never had them do a career and university at the same time. I have had them do part time jobs and odd jobs in the in between time and that works out fine.

Otherwise, they will have to skip or be late to work to go to a class or skip/be late to class to go to work. It’s too much stress if they’re in a career but not much of an issue for a part time thing.

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oh ok that's what i was thinking too. The last time though I've had my Sim graduate, they started at the bottom of the career that i had them in school for. Did I have them do something wrong?
    Chazzzy wrote: »

After they get the degree, look through the job options and make sure you pick one with a green logo, those are the ones that actually give you the extra promotions and start you off at a higher level.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I never tried, but I guess it might work with some careers. Working late hours should not conflict with your classes, and if your sim already worked a while and saved up vacations days, you could always use some of those to access class without losing your job. That said, a sim won't need to attend every single class to achieve good degree, there are more parameters than classes. It should work if your sim take a break between terms and if s/he is rather skilled already, because there will of course be less time for skill building.

Not sure what the gain would be though, except for story telling and a challenge, as s/he should quit the job before graduating anyway to benefit max from the level raise and bonus.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    It really depends on the hours.

I had a sim get a degree, then realized I wanted her to have the degree for the other branch. Fortunately, it was a work-from-home career, so I had her working in her intended branch and go back to school for the degree needed for the other branch. I'm not sure if she'll be able to switch, but I figure it's worth a try.

I'd have had her switch already, but I wrapped up play last night just after she got her second degree. (A's across the boards)
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    So can my Sim have a career and go to university at the same time or is it too complicated/hard?

Yes, your Sim can have a career and go to university at the same time. I've had several Sims do this. It works very well with the Acting career if you choose your gigs carefully, so that neither the auditions nor the gigs overlap classes. My Sim usually chose Sunday gigs with Friday night auditions. Work-from-home careers also work quite well. For most careers, my Sims use their vacation days if there's a conflict between work and class. They just switch careers if they run out of vacation days, since you always get 3 vacation days when you start a new job.

The advantages of having a career are more money and less free time. I've gotten very good at getting my Sims through University, so they usually have more free time than I want to fill.
  • Options
    kdlax10kdlax10 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @wylmite1986 said:
    > So can my Sim have a career and go to university at the same time or is it too complicated/hard?

It can be done by I would first save up a lot of vacation days from the career just incase the sim has classes on the day of their job. I kinda wish there was some kind of an excuse for something like that where your sim is able to skip work to go to their classes and not have any penalties or at least have an option to go to work later after classes.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Pretty much all my sims have full time jobs and attend uni. The trick is to have them take 2 or 3 classes use careers with the option to work from home if you need to use that option ie critic, politician, military etc a lot of the base game careers don’t have this option. The villain career is easy to do if your sims are doing the villinary degree. Also if you get to level 3 in a job you get a scholarship for young adults for working I can’t remember what it’s called.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    It's fine if it's an active career (one where you can click to work from home). But 3-4 classes should already keep a sim pretty busy.