Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Beards.

kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Tell me, Simmers, has this ever happened to you?
You download a new EP, and you go into CAS. And then you see this:

T4J6CSN.png

Your female Sims have so many CAS options they can't even fit on the page, while your male Sims get... 3.
If they're lucky.

So, because there's a lack of customization options, you don't make any male Sims. And then EA looks at your play data, and sees that Simmers don't make male Sims! So what do they do? They bring out another pack with hardly any male options. So then you don't make men. And on and on it goes.

"But Kwanzaabot!" I hear you say. "Men IRL don't have a lot of variety in their hairstyles!"

Well, gentle reader, I have two things to say to that.

A ) Maxis has enough of an imagination and enough inspiration to make a new men's hairstyle each pack, and
B ) men IRL do have variety in the way they style their hair.

It's just not the hair on the top of their heads.

5idr0Iu.png

Over the last 6 and a half years of TS4, Maxis has made a grand total of EIGHT beards. 7 in DLC--the last one was in Eco Lifestyle, and the one before that was way back in SEASONS--and one in a free patch. That's it.

Now I'm not some kind of high-falutin fashion expert, but I'm pretty sure there's more than eight kinds of facial hair for Maxis to draw inspiration from.
Did you know we still don't have SIDEBURNS? I had to download CC for them! We got MUTTON CHOPS in the basegame, but we never even got SIDEBURNS! A normal, common men's facial hair style! Not in the game!

We don't have curly hipster moustaches! Unkempt hippie beards!
We don't have handlebar moustaches! Or bushy broomstick moustaches! Or braided viking beards for our metalheads! We don't have long, bristly, burly mountain man beards! Faded beards! Maxis loves faded hairstyles, but we don't have a faded beard!
What about curly beard options for our BIPOC Sims? Robert Downey Jr's sculpted goatee?

What about greying options, so we can get blonde Sims with flecks of white in their beards?

If you're not gonna give male Sims hairstyles, Maxis, at least give them beards.
wJbomAo.png

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Exactly I'm so tired of hearing well men don't have as much hair styles that's a complete lie I'd actually say women have less men style their hair in so many ways different lengths on sides designs also have longer styles man-buns and so on not to mention as you said facial hair which also has so many different styles and lengths.

What annoys me most with the men's facial hair is there is no way to layer them to create unique styles you want a goatee well then your Sim has a baby face with no stubble and a goatee. Way to ignore half the world population we cant even get body hair after 6 years.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    Yes pls. I might be gal but I'd still appreciate some good facial hair for my dudes.

+ half of those dude hairstyles they did happen to add look literally the same too

so more variety for hair would not hurt either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited May 2021
    Male sims...
    They need more hair for their heads, their face, their arms, their legs, their chests and anywhere else that’s not hidden under that barrel of mosaic.
    While you’re at it Maxis. you should consider giving them some more comfortable clothes too.
  • Options
    Ms_MikaMs_Mika Posts: 18 Member
    Yes please, we need more beard options in the game.
  • Options
    inkyvioletinkyviolet Posts: 147 Member
    Absolutely agree! I find not only hair but even other CAS items are so lacking for males. I've been forced to opt for cc not because I want it but there's little option.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I'd actually really like beards to be set up so you can mix and match multiple parts. Does that make sense? Do beards works like that? Lol I don't know I just always want to use the stubble as an underneath layer. Maybe it would look bad under a mustache but I'll never know because I can't put them together.
  • Options
    AmeliePoptartAmeliePoptart Posts: 22 Member
    I wish we had the option to layer stubble over more full beards (like in TS2).

I’m also sick of the fact that whatever male hairs we DO get, they’re all either ugly or essentially the same style. How many big, poofy pompadours and shaggy 70s style hair cuts does this game need?
  • Options
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    I'd actually really like beards to be set up so you can mix and match multiple parts. Does that make sense? Do beards works like that? Lol I don't know I just always want to use the stubble as an underneath layer. Maybe it would look bad under a mustache but I'll never know because I can't put them together.
    I have a cc stubble that's in the face details category and it works really well with other beards but the Sims team need to add this option for everyone as not all can use cc.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t care tbh. I wouldn‘t play male sims more if there was more male CAS content. I can‘t even be bothered to download male CC. I would however be annoyed if there was less female assets because they focus more on males. Pretty much every game caters to males. Let us have one thing.
  • Options
    I don‘t care tbh. I wouldn‘t play male sims more if there was more male CAS content. I can‘t even be bothered to download male CC. I would however be annoyed if there was less female assets because they focus more on males. Pretty much every game caters to males. Let us have one thing.

The difference between other games and The Sims is that in other games, you make one character.
    In The Sims, you make hundreds.

Unless you're the type of player who makes a single selfsim and then never ages them, never has them start a family, never has them even leave the house, at some point you're going to encounter a male Sim.

Believe it or not, dearie, you need male CAS assets.

More to the point, "caters to males"?
    Can you be specific there? Which games are you playing--where you can create characters--that cater only to males?

Can you name one, and explain how they don't offer female options?

I would really love to know.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Franko30Franko30 Posts: 64 Member

So first of all, we are in an era where everyone is included in video game, customization is more equal than ever, even some really hit games have female protagonists, thats the trend now and sometime you can see that the game studio did it just to gain some points on the board, to get their game the best of the year, because yes, that a criterias nowaday! So before saying anything just try other games, and inform yourself. Those other (war/action/adventures) games might not appeal to you, but are they really just for males? NO. Is a simulation game just for female? NOPE!!! Simulation, meaning more than any other games, representation of genders/sexuality/ethnicities etc...

After that, the sims franchise never was about female game, it was always about equality, even the sims 4 stand for it, but dont really live up to their statement if you ask me. In all other previous sims game it was always equal and now they are just loosing their male customers, because its a very toxic female centric game. Never ask why they plain promote mothers day and never fathers day?

Your comment is selfish and pointless here, I recommend you take a step back and analyse what you just said. This is plainly a comment from a girl that doesnt give a s*** about male satisfaction.

I always wanted more stuff for female in this game, to make them pretty and all, but not like that, this is mind blowing how much more they have. Same for the traditional hobbies... like how many dudes knit in this planet? Great for those who does and I dont juged them, but for the plainty who doesn't, thats another very feminine pack to be excluded from.

The sims never was a cutsies female simulator, we also have the right to exist, in a LIVE simulator game, because without the MAN who created the SIMS, you wouldn't even be able to enjoy this pleasure to play the sims.

Now, I wish they put another goatee like the thick one in base game but with a better textures, this one turns old now. And also more balding hairstyles. Thank you! 😊
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Tell me, Simmers, has this ever happened to you?
    You download a new EP, and you go into CAS. And then you see this:

T4J6CSN.png

Your female Sims have so many CAS options they can't even fit on the page, while your male Sims get... 3.
    If they're lucky.

So, because there's a lack of customization options, you don't make any male Sims. And then EA looks at your play data, and sees that Simmers don't make male Sims! So what do they do? They bring out another pack with hardly any male options. So then you don't make men. And on and on it goes.

"But Kwanzaabot!" I hear you say. "Men IRL don't have a lot of variety in their hairstyles!"

Well, gentle reader, I have two things to say to that.

A ) Maxis has enough of an imagination and enough inspiration to make a new men's hairstyle each pack, and
    B ) men IRL do have variety in the way they style their hair.

I’m surprised that there’s 12 female hairs to 3 male hairs. I never got Snowy Escapes as the winter sports element didn’t appeal. Whoever was assigned CAS on the team made some great hair for ladies, there’s flowers and colours etc. They’re gorgeous.

Why not apply some style of that to the males? The three hairs there look tame in comparison. One buzz cut, a standard short then a longer hair. Nice but not amazing when side to side to those fabulous hairstyles.

Sims 3 had better balance for both. Interesting hairstyles that were unique and helped your Sims stand out in a good way.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

The difference between other games and The Sims is that in other games, you make one character.
    In The Sims, you make hundreds.

Unless you're the type of player who makes a single selfsim and then never ages them, never has them start a family, never has them even leave the house, at some point you're going to encounter a male Sim.

Believe it or not, dearie, you need male CAS assets.

More to the point, "caters to males"?
    Can you be specific there? Which games are you playing--where you can create characters--that cater only to males?

Can you name one, and explain how they don't offer female options?

I would really love to know.

Seconded. I can't think of games with character creation that has more options for men than it does women and I play a lot of games with character creation. Most at least have a balance, at least, most of the games I've played do. Excluding their modding communities, then it tends to lean heavily towards women.
  • Options
    Pretty much every game caters to males. Let us have one thing.
    Aw...the boys are not really allowed in the girl’s club. We’re always too rough and we ruin everything.
    Understandable.

And here’s me thinking I could play the Sims like Action Man:

My Sim Self on steroids:

B237-E8-F6-9319-4-AEE-B8-CF-C4-A4-D0127-F11.jpg

I’d never wear white like that.

Vintage Action Man got more head fluff:

0-AFFCA42-8697-4-A23-A55-D-1-DDD178-DDF78.jpg

(GI Joe, actually).

But Vintage Action Man got Barbie ! 😇:
    8-D2-DDF4-D-DE6-A-497-C-8717-D7-EC1-BB9-DD7-B.webp

Alas, Action Man. The Sims 4 ain’t for you.
    At least give us cars. Barbie has cars. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    That's just too funny. I love it. :D
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited June 2021
    I need handlebar mustache for my Sim ASAP. B)
    I love to play with male Sims but it annoys me that I can't make their looks match their personalities. I'm not interested of just making my Sims look good, I want them to look more unique.
    Also... please add more long hairstyles for men.
  • Options
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I need handlebar mustache for my Sim ASAP. B)
    I love to play with male Sims but it annoys me that I can't make their looks match their personalities. I'm not interested of just making my Sims look good, I want them to look more unique.
    Also... please add more long hairstyles for men.

Agreed. Most people would say "just use the gender customisation options", but to that I'd say there's so many long, flowing locks, but they rarely suit most male Sims.
    I mean Nifty Knitting included a Metal station on the radio, but I can't make my Sims look like a metalhead! It's really jarring.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Yes, yes, yes! After seven years, it's crazy how many options the girls have compared to the guys. And there's still no proper long hair style for them either. The longest hairstyle came with Romantic Garden, I think, but it's still only medium length.

It's time they showed the guys some love!
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Beards I agree with, even if we could layer beards with stubble it would help, the rest meh.. men are simple creatures, not as adventurous with their looks, I’m reaching 30 irl and I’ve noticed men’s fashion near enough stays on repeat, it’s honestly depressing but that’s how it is. If you have all the packs there are plentyyyy of options for men, and I notice they will often add men’s style hairs to the women’s cas also, making the women’s section look falsely bigger than the men’s. So I don’t really get the cry out for men’s cas..

Body hair I assumed they were holding out for a werewolf pack as per usual, but nobody seems all that fussed this time around.

One thing I will say though is I hate how they give us many variations of the same hairstyle… like how many bouffant quiffs do we need? How many buzz cuts? The slick back hairstyle that came with tiny living has about 5 versions now.. this also happens with women’s hair, like at least give us original ones…
  • Options
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Beards I agree with, even if we could layer beards with stubble it would help, the rest meh.. men are simple creatures, not as adventurous with their looks, I’m reaching 30 irl and I’ve noticed men’s fashion near enough stays on repeat, it’s honestly depressing but that’s how it is. If you have all the packs there are plentyyyy of options for men, and I notice they will often add men’s style hairs to the women’s cas also, making the women’s section look falsely bigger than the men’s. So I don’t really get the cry out for men’s cas..

Body hair I assumed they were holding out for a werewolf pack as per usual, but nobody seems all that fussed this time around.

One thing I will say though is I hate how they give us many variations of the same hairstyle… like how many bouffant quiffs do we need? How many buzz cuts? The slick back hairstyle that came with tiny living has about 5 versions now.. this also happens with women’s hair, like at least give us original ones…
    You say there is plenty of options for men but there really is no options for men for me I pretty much have to turn to cc to get any of the styles and fits I'm looking for.
  • Options

EXCUSE ME???!!!
    SAY THAT AGAIN???!!

😇
  • Options

EXCUSE ME???!!!
    SAY THAT AGAIN???!!

😇

I mean I see more hype for fairies than werewolves..? Werewolves came second after vampires before, and this time we’ve had mermaids, witches, and now everyone is asking for fairies? Personally, I have been waiting for werewolves since the vampires pack and have been disappointed they’ve not shown up yet..
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I think we’d get fairies before werewolves. Cottage Living is more ideal for fairies, if not now then as an addition.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    Lol perfect example ⬆️🙄

Back to my previous point they’ve always held onto body hair for werewolves in previous iterations, but nobody seems fussed for werewolves..
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    No Lunar Moon Cycles, No Howling when there's a full moon, No singing "Hungry Like A Wolf". Oh, wait that's just me. LOL :D