Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 will be multiplayer & selling CC Creator's content

2...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Does anyone actually believe that EA will reveal TS5 at E3? I don't. Also the writer of that article posted here seems to think it's absolutely a multiplayer game...I'm not so sure about all that nor that they will reveal it at E3. What I'm pretty sure about is it will have a marketplace and perhaps some challenges and or some competitive features for players to do together. Perhaps all that would be done in a server world, but I'm not completely convinced as the writer of the article is that it is completely a MMORPG. But a grose marketplace, yes..
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Does anyone actually believe that EA will reveal TS5 at E3? I don't. Also the writer of that article posted here seems to think it's absolutely a multiplayer game...I'm not so sure about all that nor that they will reveal it at E3. What I'm pretty sure about is it will have a marketplace and perhaps some challenges and or some competitive features for players to do together. Perhaps all that would be done in a server world, but I'm not completely convinced as the writer of the article is that it is completely a MMORPG. But a grose marketplace, yes..
    I agree with you, honestly I see them adding an option for multiplayer (like Minecraft for example) but not requiring it. I would expect CC to simply be disabled/unavailable when joining a server with others. I wouldn’t have a problem with that, it maximizes their profits by adding something for every type of player too.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    We are slowly moving away from single player games..
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I think this thread is the perfect example of people who don't actually read the articles.

It is a post about what some players posted on reddit wanting to see. Actually, the title is very clear as well. What's with the clickbait OP?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    SamDenny wrote: »

I will never forget Peter what's his name saying what a hardcore bunch (that's a quote) we are and won't conform. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I will never forget Peter what's his name saying what a hardcore bunch (that's a quote) we are and won't conform. lol

It's laughable too that they said people only care about multiplayer games. Don't get me wrong, I love multiplayer games. I've played World of Warcraft since I was 8. I love me some mario party with friends, or smash bros etc.

But some games you just want a soloplayer experience, and sims is one of those experiences.

The ironic thing is that the claim that consumers only care about single player experiences came right before Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Spiderman And Zelda Breath of the wild all became record seller games. All singleplayer games lol.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • BitterBubblyBitterBubbly Posts: 70 Member
    To be honest, Sims is the only game I play. I used to play SimCity, too, back when it was still a thing. I sadly didn't get a chance to play Sims 1 because I didn't have a computer back then, but I had all of the expansions for TS2 and TS3 (plus several TS3 store sets) and I have all of the packs for TS4 that have been released so far.

I LOVE every version of this game I've played...but for me, it's not about even about gaming, at least not gaming in the traditional sense. It's about creating. It's about stories and characters in environments that I can design...and it's always served as a refuge where I could completely escape from the real world every now and again. I want my sandbox. No guided gameplay; no other players.

To make it a multiplayer online game and add a social element takes the "happy hermit safe haven" away, at least for me. If I wanted to play multiplayer games, I would. If I wanted to interact with actual humans while I play, I would...but that's never been the purpose of gaming for me. (Again, not a traditional gamer in any way. I'm purely a Simmer) so if Sims 5 goes the multiplayer online route, I'm not at all likely to follow. I'll stay with the single player versions that let me have my much needed breaks from the real world and social interaction.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I so don't like the Mutiplayer. I have a Multiplayer option on my Civilization VI, however, I always pick the Singleplayer option only.
  • ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2021
    EA you have to understand. NO to Mutiplayer
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member

Who told you that?

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

The industry wants to move away from it because you can cover costs more easily and earn more money with multiplayer. Single player games are expensive and more risky to make.

EA once said that single player games are dead, but they have warmed up to the idea of making more after their success with games like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen order.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Bluelle wrote: »
    If TS5 is going to be online, that's it. That's it for me. That's the end for this beloved franchise for me. There are no words in the english dictionary for how utterly disappointed I would be. I know it's "just a game", but I've literally grown up with his franchise. I love it, I've always looked forward to the next iteration, this SINGLE PLAYER SANDBOX LIFE SIMULATION game that has allowed me to have my own world for so long.

The absolute absolute absolute last thing I want in my Sims game is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ multiplayer. Knowing that I won't be enjoying the next iteration, that I've been fantasizing about since TS4's release, is just gutwrenching in a way. Again, just a game, but still.

I sincerely, genuinly, from the bottom of my heart HOPE that TS5 will be a pure single player game like 1, 2, 3 and 4. The exact same as 1, 2, 3 and 4. I don't consider the gallery to be multiplayer.

It's my game, it's my world, it's my story, it's my sims, and if they force multiplayer onto me I'll say goodbye to this franchise that I've literally grown up with since the year 2000. Go ahead and call me dramatic, I don't care.

I really hope this 'multiplayer' isn't what it sounds like. I hope it's a side-feature and that they're not basing the entire game on it. I hope it's optional. I hope they listen to the community.

You can't curse on this forum so I'll just say goshdarn, darnit, crikey, tartar sauce, golly gee aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maybe it will be like Minecraft, and stardew valley where you can play by yourself or with friends, but I don’t know how that would work with packs....
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2021
    @Cinebar - I wasn't talking about us. I wish microtransactions would go the way of the dodo.
    @Lady_Ballora - Time did. See the post by Logion.

@logion - Yeah this became pretty evident to me at least, when Bethesda shifted towards it with Fallout 76 and ESO. Though there was companies doing that before them. This also explains the apparent stalling of the next game for most of the major titles that are single player - companies are moving forward with online features. In so many words: Online gaming is the new norm; It's where the money is. I don't know how long this will last though.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I think this thread is the perfect example of people who don't actually read the articles.

It is a post about what some players posted on reddit wanting to see. Actually, the title is very clear as well. What's with the clickbait OP?

It's not clickbait if you scrolled down and actually read the entire thing. The EA Director speaks about the game being online. Here's a cleaner version on Sims Community:

https://simscommunity.info/2021/04/30/the-sims-5-eas-director-of-studios-talks-about-the-next-generation-sims-game/
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    We would be playing Second Life if we wanted online, multiplayer and buy custom content with real money. EA really doesn‘t know their fanbase. I bet the people making the decisions have never played The Sims or spent time with Sims fans on forums.
    edited May 2021
    We would be playing Second Life if we wanted online, multiplayer and buy custom content with real money. EA really doesn‘t know their fanbase. I bet the people making the decisions have never played The Sims or spent time with Sims fans on forums.

I think you are right. Drake once said the demographic was over on Instagram, not twitter, not the forums, not Reddit, or even Youtube but the teenage girls on Instagram, so ok, enjoy the multiplay, instagram users. :D
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Bluelle wrote: »
    If TS5 is going to be online, that's it. That's it for me. That's the end for this beloved franchise for me. There are no words in the english dictionary for how utterly disappointed I would be. I know it's "just a game", but I've literally grown up with his franchise. I love it, I've always looked forward to the next iteration, this SINGLE PLAYER SANDBOX LIFE SIMULATION game that has allowed me to have my own world for so long.

The absolute absolute absolute last thing I want in my Sims game is ❤️❤️❤️❤️ multiplayer. Knowing that I won't be enjoying the next iteration, that I've been fantasizing about since TS4's release, is just gutwrenching in a way. Again, just a game, but still.

I sincerely, genuinly, from the bottom of my heart HOPE that TS5 will be a pure single player game like 1, 2, 3 and 4. The exact same as 1, 2, 3 and 4. I don't consider the gallery to be multiplayer.

It's my game, it's my world, it's my story, it's my sims, and if they force multiplayer onto me I'll say goodbye to this franchise that I've literally grown up with since the year 2000. Go ahead and call me dramatic, I don't care.

I really hope this 'multiplayer' isn't what it sounds like. I hope it's a side-feature and that they're not basing the entire game on it. I hope it's optional. I hope they listen to the community.

You can't curse on this forum so I'll just say goshdarn, darnit, crikey, tartar sauce, golly gee aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maybe it will be like Minecraft, and stardew valley where you can play by yourself or with friends, but I don’t know how that would work with packs....
    I doubt it. They weren't going to do that when they attempted with the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013. Maxis servers were not strong enough to handle its players with SimCity. Difference is those are indie companies compared to EA which has a reputation of buggy servers. Even their Star Wars games had problems connecting and that is owned by Disney which is far from being short in funds with their games to put in decent server connections. I mean there are free roleplaying games like VR Chat, so Sims can say bye bye to their monopoly competition with the vast influx of MMORPG games out there in the market. Rachel and Lucy who lead the Sims 4 moved onto a Facebook Horizons too which I guess is what people want the Sims 5 to turn into:
    https://www.oculus.com/facebook-horizon/

Best MMORPG in 2021:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-mmos/

Then again maybe EA should do it since they already failed with SimCity. That way Paralives and other games can take over the offline Monopoly the Sims 5 will leave behind. Worst case they fail and Maxis goes to mobile only like with SimCity. Best case they'll last only 3 years like the Sims Online then competition will already fill in the gaps they left behind.

Plus with MMOs being a constant threat with cybersecurity even with the larger companies and Simmers being cautious of downloading CC/mods, there is that to look into as well.

Expect a Subscription service of at minimum $9.99 a month like the Sims Online being its model:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Online

The standard price for MMOs today is $15 a month due to inflation:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/2ba1h0/how_did_mmos_settle_on_15mo_as_the_standard_price/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    If TS5 is fully multiplayer ( and it looks like that’s what EA want) it will be a total financial failure. The only way I can see this game working is if when you make a sim it is put into a public gallery and appears into other peoples gams as a NPC you may be asking yourself what about CC or if they have a GP,EP that I don’t have well then the game will substitute the thing you don’t have with an appropriate substitute this can be easy programmed in with an if else statement (I program in C#).
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    In my days past, I had a lot of EA franchises that I loved.
    So many of them have fallen away as EA milked and/or discarded them.

Origin is hanging by a thread on my computer.
    The Sims and Mass Effect are the last remaining games that I care about. They nearly killed Mass Effect with Mass Effect Andromeda, and they also created Anthem, a multi-player looter shooter. Bioware is known for their single player RPGs. Bioware had looted the Andromeda development team to work on Anthem. Anthem failed, Andromeda was considered a failure by a lot of gamers.

EA/Bioware are Remastering the Mass Effect Trilogy and I am buying it.
    But I am buying it on Steam, not Origin.

Why?
    Because I don't have much faith in The Sims 5 being a single player game.
    I believe they are going to pull another Sim City. And if that's the case, I will not buy anymore games on Origin and I will remove it once I am done with The Sims 4.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    The only thing I miss from Sims Online is the bunny outfit my avatar had. Wish they would bring that to TS4. I'm not going to pay a monthly subscription for a game that I may or may not have time to play. And the gameplay in Sims Online at least was a lot of grinding.