March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dine Out: Broken pack with lost potential?

2...Next

Comments

• Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Yes, Dine Out is glitchy and needs improvements
    Dino Out is just an all around mess. Between the glitchy gameplay and the fact that your sims can't even work in their own restaurants (because family run restaurants just don't exist, I guess), it's one of the only packs that I straight up regret buying. There are a lot of packs that I don't like but still get some use out of. This one though? I wish I had put it on the same "never buying" list as Strangerville, My First Pet Stuff, and Batuu. This pack and Get to Work are prime examples of TS4 bringing back old features that people loved, and making them worse instead of improving on them.

Literally the only use I get out of it are the experimental meals. And most of that enjoyment comes from mods that let my sims learn them all at once.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited May 2021
    No, Dine Out works fine for me
    I haven't had any problems with Dine Out when I ran a restaurant. These days my Sims often visit them as a customer. I will usually build my own restaurant and/or download one from the gallery without any furniture.

I've found that having everything on the first floor is best. Yet sometimes, I will put the restrooms either downstairs or upstairs.
    Here are some of my restaurants.
    Restaurant 1
    Restaurant-1.jpg

Restaurant 2
    Restaurant-2.jpg
    Restaurant-2b.jpg

Restaurant 3
    Restaurant-3.jpg

Restaurant 4
    Restaurant-4.jpg
    Restaurant-4b.jpg
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 917 Member
    it should not take 8 sim hours or longer to get food to the customers by the time the food is served my sims are either tired or have too pee then they want to go home.
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I remember Dine Out was a bit glitchy when I first used it, but now it seems to work pretty well. I've been able to run a restaurant pretty well, and my Sims have been getting their food pretty quickly. The only thing I have to say about it now is that it can be hard for Sims to have a date there since they eat so quickly. You have to be really fast when it comes to talking about the meal or doing interactions like Feed a Bite. That's the only issue I've had with the pack recently, and that's only due to a recent update where Sims now eat faster.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Dine out needs serious work. Yesterday, in TS 2, took sim to a restaurant and the whole process from seating to paid and gone took less than 5 RL minutes. Was amazed at how fast and efficiently the meal went. Admittedly it was a lone sim. On the other hand, that is the usual situation in TS 4 and the whole thing is agonizingly long. Both games played on same computer. If an old game can do so much better, what is the problem here?
  • tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    Loved owning a restaurant in TS2. Not being able to use my owner and their family as staff in Dine out was disappointing. The bugs/glitches seem to come and go in my saves. The two that annoy me the most though is the one where Sims cancel out their eating if they finish their drink first. This one varies because sometimes the unplayed customers will not finish their food and now are taking up space for other customers or they'll eat at their food then just hand wave their plates clean and leave. When I play as a customer my sims will stop eating. I can click on my sim and make them finish, but if their guest is unplayable, they end up not eating.

The other glitch is the one where you hire sims for the restaurant roles, but once you open, completely different sims show up. If you have your kitchen locked so that only employees can enter, these imposters can not enter because they aren't the hired staff. This can happen to my long time restaurants too where long time employees are suddenly replaced with an imposter upon opening, even though my hired sim is still listed in the employee roster.
    edited May 2021
    Sounds like the game doesn't recognize the difference between a player owned restaurant and the community lot version. That's a major problem worthy of the bug report place.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'm just tired of taking my sims to restaurants for a nice date and suddenly a random NPC will start talking to my date, and if they just so happen to flirt with the wrong person or even worse, after the date ends or in a dead second of conversation the now flirty date will wander off to flirt randomly with a stranger. So many saves I've had to reload from the start of the day or date (depending on my last save). XP

And it's not just dates either, I'm just tired of my family trying to enjoy their dinner without having six NPC's coming to their table to talk. Like can you not? We don't know you now eff off.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I know this is back from May but I wanted to add that I'm STILL having issues with this pack! I recently took my couple out for Loveday and EVERYONE ELSE got their food but my sims. They literally sat for hours waiting until I finally had enough and they ate at my sims home. DO use to work for me ad now it's a hot freaking mess. If they are truly going to go back and fix packs this is one that should have been first.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm just tired of taking my sims to restaurants for a nice date and suddenly a random NPC will start talking to my date, and if they just so happen to flirt with the wrong person or even worse, after the date ends or in a dead second of conversation the now flirty date will wander off to flirt randomly with a stranger. So many saves I've had to reload from the start of the day or date (depending on my last save). XP

And it's not just dates either, I'm just tired of my family trying to enjoy their dinner without having six NPC's coming to their table to talk. Like can you not? We don't know you now eff off.

I stopped playing in 2017. This was one of the problems I ran into back then, too. My Sim forgot all about his female friend at his table. I really loved DO in TS4 but stuff like this and, too, the game erased all my Sim's employees at one restaurant (though I had done what everyone said to do to keep them as employees) all that work training them lost, ended my love for DO.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • lifeofdaydreamslifeofdaydreams Posts: 44 Member
    I really like Dine Out, but it's never worked properly for me as a business. It's always been glitchy. I still enjoy playing with it, but mostly by having my sims go to restaurant venues as costumers. Dine Out is the number one game pack I expected EA to fix, when they announced they might go back to update earlier GPs. I hope they fix it, as having restaurants work well in the game would be really fun.
    I only play as a customer but have seen many of the issues mentioned by the OP. Wait times once order is placed are too long, and I've often seen sims that arrive after mine get their meals before. Have seen staff leaving with no replacements for a long time, including the chef. A recent development is that staff will suddenly change from their work outfits to something random. There are far too many meals dropped onto the floor and they are almost never cleaned up. Speaking of cleaning, about 25% of tables, sometimes more, have dirty dishes on them at any given time and no effort is made to clear them. This last has been a long standing problem.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Dine Out needs to update their menus. There's so much wonderful dishes that should be added to the Restaurant.
  • wyrofoxywyrofoxy Posts: 11 New Member
    Been having more issues with this pack lately too, which is unfortunate because I do enjoy running a restaurant and it's probably one of my favorite packs. Some bugs still haven't been fixed, and now chefs won't come in to cook unless I Shift + Click and reset them - and when they finally come in after being reset, whatever they're cooking with at the chef station won't show (pots/pans/cutting boards), no issue when I use the station with Sims currently played (running the restaurant). Probably one of the bigger issues I have with this at the moment.

Another few annoyances - whenever I try to select any premade uniform for the employees it almost always takes me straight to CAS which I don't want. Sometimes I just wanna select a darn premade outfit. Dishes are getting left on tables even with three waiters. I do have some mods, though I'm sure they've fixed some of the issues I'd had before. Sims now have been often finishing their food unless they're dying from the Pufferfish Nigiri. It's just the other stuff I've had problems with.
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 695 Member
    One very annoying thing (among many others) is that as soon as they are seated the sims will stand up and go chat with the sims at the host station. They will only go back to their table when (and if) the food is delivered
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Ziafar wrote: »
    One very annoying thing (among many others) is that as soon as they are seated the sims will stand up and go chat with the sims at the host station. They will only go back to their table when (and if) the food is delivered

Maybe it's something to do with your restaurant set-up. In my game they tend to sit at their tables even without food on the table.

XDbcLnZ.png
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 695 Member
    @crocobaura Nice restaurant! All my restaurants are like that, and I have many. I try not to put to much tables, leave a lot of space around them, not to clutter them with ton of objects. Its always the same, on Sim will open the menu and he will stay seated the others will immediatly stant up to go chat at the host station.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Ziafar wrote: »
    @crocobaura Nice restaurant! All my restaurants are like that, and I have many. I try not to put to much tables, leave a lot of space around them, not to clutter them with ton of objects. Its always the same, on Sim will open the menu and he will stay seated the others will immediatly stant up to go chat at the host station.

Maybe there is something wrong with the host, like it has high charisma skill or is a celebrity or something. I used to have a shop employee that was a celebrity and nothing was done in that shop. She posed for paparazzi and that was it. I had to replace her. In a restaurant there was this waiter with slob trait and he used to drop piles of dirty dishes on customer's tables instead of clearing them away. He was also replaced. Also, make sure your restaurant runs with two chefs and at least 2 waiter's stations, I think maximum for these is 3, so there are no delays in placing orders and delivering food to tables.