Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday 😑 UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    mingusssss wrote: »
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

... when the majority of the players are men :p

But here, women rule The Sims.

For now because it's single player. What happens when it becomes fully online multi player? What's to keep the wolves away from the sheep?
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    That is kinda upsetting to hear, if it's true then I can't believe sims 4 would be the last real sims game.
    giphy.gif

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited May 2021
    EA goal isn't the old loyal players, EA wants to reach the billions people who don't play The Sims yet.
    Gen Z is the first target, a new generation who never played the previous games with a completely open mind for a MMO TS5.

The Sims 4 is probably the last game designed for the long-time players.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    You know, the option of playing The Sims with a relative or a friend simultaneously is supposed to be a genuinely exciting experience. Think about it: you and your friend can control a Sim or two or a family, and you can interact however you like, you can control a single or collaborate with a family. In fact, I've been playing a Sims 4 multiplayer mod, S4MP, with a twin sister and despite needing for me to turn off autonomy for it to be playable, we both had a huge blast playing a large household, messing with each other's Sims, making friends with our group of our own Sims, and tormenting some of the controlled Sims that we use to antagonize other Sims, and we wish there was official support.

But this is EA we're talking about. EA, the same company that attempted to make SimCity an online-only multiplayer game and it turned out to be an utter disaster. Anything EA touches dies. Or, if it doesn't die instantly, wilts until it's a hollow shell remaining. They're going to find a way to royally screw up Sims 5. I just know it. Either with online-only DRM, a convoluted economy lifted right from mobile games + microtransactions, lootboxes (for your outfits and build/buy items), and other things that MMORPGS have. Having online multiplayer be the main focus is so ripe for exploitation and FOMO: the game can easily revolve around you seeing what other people got, what kind of customization options they have that you don't, and that it baits you into their economy.

The trolls online too. Imagine this. I'm already bad enough messing around with my Sims, causing fights everywhere I go, tormenting Sims by depriving their needs and spamming interactions on them. I already purposely break appliances, prank toilets, and say a bunch of mean things to other Sims. I do this to satisfy myself, but I'll never do this to real players. There WILL be people who do stuff like this, and I can already imagine an even more toxic community unless there are proper moderation procedures to curb toxic behavior.

How will WooHoo work too? Especially since kids play this? Will they disable it altogether? How much will they need to strip away from The Sims to make an accommodating environment? Because I think the ability to WooHoo has been a pretty core tenet for plenty of players and the game sure is obsessed about making as much WooHoo locations as possible.

I don't ever game online with randoms. I hate competitive PvP. And I'd hate the series to take on that direction.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    They are sharing, they could create marketplaces.

What we arm them with and the capabilities and frameworks we arm them with and where they take that I think it’s going to be a pretty significant surprise and a pretty exciting time for us as we bring these tools and platforms to market.

If I parse that correctly, they noticed how much money is in cc and want to secure themselves a slice of that cake by providing an official platform where creators can offer their mods to players directly in game. That would probably help enforce the "x weeks payed early access, then free for everyone" policy (which is a good one), but on the other hand it also means they can curate what mods and cc we have access to.
    I don’t like that there is a Cam Girl mod although it’s not for me it’s a in-depth mod including sordid/funny comments that would probably not be allowed because it’s not really suitable for there tarigit audience Mods give more freedom and if you make people use there in game mod shop it gets rid of odd and interesting mods like this that is more adult then most .
    edited May 2021
    EA also wants a server-side for the cross-platform.

One game for PC/Mac, console and mobile like Fortnite. Or it could be a streaming service like Stadia and Geforce Now
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Then make a new game to attract the Fortnite audience and not ruin an already successful franchise?!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2021
    I see a cognitive dissonance here. On the one hand they make the game more and more PG at every iteration, yet they want to incorporate multiplayer? have they never played an online multiplayer game before? people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

Most of the moderators and developers and management of Maxis play all MMORPGs. Very few actually 'played' any life simulator. Many who did have left the building. If you read profiles you will see why this game has heavily been influenced with rpg flavors and concepts. Then there is Maxis mobile which took over Maxis so yeah, it's all about multiplayer and rpg features if you look hard at even TS4 packs.

Even if this new game is just partly mulitplayer with a marketplace and competition of some sorts, I go back to Simport, a horrible failure for Maxis and most of TS3's players. Real time events waiting for someone to log back in to their game so their Sim could show up in my world or vice versa. Server lag and game lag, and tens of millions requests to Simport all the time. No, I had better things to do than wait and not be able to close my game because of Simport.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Just thinking about the number of pointless DLCs (and their ridiculously expensive price-tags) that will be released for the game is off-putting enough for me. Not falling for this trap since EA released that disgusting MFP garbage.

Why the flying plumbobs would they assume that a majority of its fan base would want to play such a personal game like the sims with other strangers online? Just because people hang out here on the forums doesn't mean they would like to have such "social" feature engraved in their own freakin' game. Haven't they learnt anything from that disastrous launch of simcity back in 2013?
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Kelvin wrote: »
    JWhy the flying plumbobs would they assume that a majority of its fan base would want to play such a personal game like the sims with other strangers online? Just because people hang out here on the forums doesn't mean they would like to have such "social" feature engraved in their own freakin' game.

Exactly. I cannot imagine many players would have the patience to read through my list of houserules, my world's backstory, the different factions with their own privileges and red flags before I'd let them create a character in my world. That would be just silly.

In order to play with other simmers I'd have to adjust my playstyle drastically. At that point the gaming session would not scratch the simming itch, but the social gaming itch. Sims 5 could very well turn out a successor to playing Terraria with friends, but not to playing Sims 2/3/4.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited May 2021
    Then make a new game to attract the Fortnite audience and not ruin an already successful franchise?!

Right? They did it all the time with the other games. Some of them are some of my favorites. Why are they suddenly so adverse to spin-offs? Just leave the main game model how its been for years. Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    The info in that interview seems pretty definitive about TS5 being an online "shared" experience. That was expected, but this is the first time I've seen it confirmed.

So, I guess that's an equally definitive no purchase for me. I'll stick with TS4 which I like, and TS3 which I love.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I'm hoping it's going to be like GMod in the sense you'll have to create your own maps (worlds) and can either choose to play offline or online. Also with the ability to download or use other people's worlds, or premade worlds if you don't want to build one from scratch.

If it's anything like Bloxburg on Roblox, that's a Sims clone but with RP. Has the building grids and everything like Sims. The more I think about it, the more they might be trying to break into the RP market too.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Right? They did it all the time with the other games. Some of them are some of my favorites. Why are they suddenly so adverse to spin-offs? Just leave the main game model how its been for years. Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I mean sure they can still improve it, they can still try new fresh innovative things if they want to but what they are doing is trying to change the genre of the game from Single-player simulation to an MMO game. This isn't just innovation anymore, this is changing the whole identity of the game. I honestly confused as to what goes through their heads.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    People have asked how they'll handle packs for an interactive multiplayer game and I thought the solution was pretty simple for EA.

They're going to make a battle-pass esque version of them, with a rotating store like from Fortnite. Basically, they're going to sell build/buy and CAS contents that were originally supposed to be in packs at certain, limited dates, rather than sell the pack at full price. The pack items will rotate around the store rather than being all available at once, forcing players to check back the game everyday to find the item they want and that they need to check multiple times in order to get all items. Winterfest items will pop up around Christmas time, Eco Lifestyle...like maybe near Earth Day, Vampire stuff near Halloween. Some of the contents will have to be free so everyone can join in (like the gameplay quirks of Vampires or Pets or whatever), but part of making it free means more players will get suckered into that economy; that's what the free updates in many of these economies are for.
    I'm hoping it's going to be like GMod in the sense you'll have to create your own maps (worlds) and can either choose to play offline or online. Also with the ability to download or use other people's worlds, or premade worlds if you don't want to build one from scratch.

Problem with comparing to Gmod is that it's 99% user-created content and that won't fly in the face of EA because if they allow too much user-created content, they can't sell you their items.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ray_Trace wrote: »

Problem with comparing to Gmod is that it's 99% user-created content and that won't fly in the face of EA because if they allow too much user-created content, they can't sell you their items.

Oh 100%. You'll probably still only be able to get items from them and extra content through DLC's and microtransactions. I was talking about the world in general, like how you can start with a blank slate in GMod and build from there, or choose from premade maps and build on to them. Only difference being the actual items are still provided by Maxis/EA.

Or like I said before, anyone who wants to create CC/mods would have to subscribe to a service monthly to do it. They mentioned Roblox in the interview and this is what they do, if you want to create extra content you have to pay a monthly service to do it.

This is all speculation of course.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    I have a strong feeling the Sims 4 will be the last Sims game and replaced by the Sims Online 2. There was this earnings call from last year too: https://simscommunity.info/2020/01/31/eas-ceo-confirms-a-next-generation-sims-game-might-have-both-single-player-and-multiplayer/

Sims 4 was originally going to be the Sims 2 Online, so looks like they are going to try it again with the Sims 5.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    EA goal isn't the old loyal players, EA wants to reach the billions people who don't play The Sims yet.
    Gen Z is the first target, a new generation who never played the previous games with a completely open mind for a MMO TS5.

Even Gen Z don't play PC MMO games anymore. They play mobile games instead. MMOs usually attract the creepy old men so very far off from attracting Gen Z. I think EA's games are targeted towards older gamers actually since they are very safe and exclusive and made for people that like to gamble on loot boxes.

This is interesting about the general gaming demographics: https://techjury.net/blog/video-game-demographics/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

... when the majority of the players are men :p

But here, women rule The Sims.
    Not all women, just older women now. Sims stopped making games for all women equally once the Sims 4 came out. Such a bad example for women for a game actually.
    edited May 2021
    Scobre wrote: »

Even Gen Z don't play PC MMO games anymore. They play mobile games instead.

TS5 will also be a mobile game.
    The Sims Mobile probably taught to the Redwood Shores studio how to develop on mobile.

https://www.ea.com/news/maxis-organizational-update
    As we look to the future, we want to expand the scope of opportunity for Maxis to reach more players on PC and mobile, as well as explore cross-platform play. To enable this, we are bringing Maxis together with our mobile teams under Samantha Ryan's leadership, aligning our strong PC foundation with our mobile expertise. The collaboration between these teams will help us unlock new ways for Maxis IP to connect with players wherever they want to play.
  • marissimmarissim Posts: 55 Member
    I don't see how a multiplayer The Sims game would work. Unless they give us events with specific objectives we all have to complete together, I can only see the game going this way: Tries to greet, player 2 walks away.
    Tries to flirt, player 2 deletes interaction and walks away.
    Tries to say a joke, player 2 deletes interaction and chooses a mean interaction as a response.
    It just wouldn't work, because we would all be there accepting things others are trying to do with/to us, or attempting to interact with others, and no one would like it, so we'd all end up standing still deleting interactions & doing our own thing.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2021
    Scobre wrote: »

Even Gen Z don't play PC MMO games anymore. They play mobile games instead.

TS5 will also be a mobile game.
    The Sims Mobile probably taught to the Redwood Shores studio how to develop on mobile.

https://www.ea.com/news/maxis-organizational-update
    As we look to the future, we want to expand the scope of opportunity for Maxis to reach more players on PC and mobile, as well as explore cross-platform play. To enable this, we are bringing Maxis together with our mobile teams under Samantha Ryan's leadership, aligning our strong PC foundation with our mobile expertise. The collaboration between these teams will help us unlock new ways for Maxis IP to connect with players wherever they want to play.

Hopefully it will be like with the next Battlefield, which will have a PC version (which is rumored to be bigger than ever) and a smaller mobile version (which will probably be pretty limited).
    edited May 2021
    marissim wrote: »
    I don't see how a multiplayer The Sims game would work. Unless they give us events with specific objectives we all have to complete together, I can only see the game going this way: Tries to greet, player 2 walks away.
    Tries to say a joke, player 2 deletes interaction and chooses a mean interaction as a response.
    It just wouldn't work, because we would all be there accepting things others are trying to do with/to us, or attempting to interact with others, and no one would like it, so we'd all end up standing still deleting interactions & doing our own thing.

I played S4MP, a Sim 4 multiplayer mod with my sister, we both controlled the same household (and it's at its most fun if we voice chat with each other too). We have a specific group of Sims we control (like if it's an 8 member household, we control 4 Sims each), we collab on creating those Sims and their traits, we collab on building the lot (though they aren't simultaneously sadly, we have to take turns making Sims and constructing the lot), and we give them specific roles. Sometimes we have "real" conversations with our household members even: one of us asks about day, other responds with giving repair tips, etc, and we have a set personality for each Sim, we pick actions that would be in-character for them. Sometimes we make Sims join activities if I see my sister sent one of the Sims playing video games or watching TV, sometimes I make my Sims mentor her Sims and vice versa. Sometimes my Sims have negative moods and my sister uses her Sims to cheer them up. And I'm sure we would absolutely love RPing with each other if we were that type of Sim player.

It absolutely can work if you participate with people you are very close to. My sister and I are a very close pair and we love playing S4MP together.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    marissim wrote: »

I played S4MP, a Sim 4 multiplayer mod with my sister, we both controlled the same household (and it's at its most fun if we voice chat with each other too). We have a specific group of Sims we control (like if it's an 8 member household, we control 4 Sims each), we collab on creating those Sims and their traits, we collab on building the lot (though they aren't simultaneously sadly, we have to take turns making Sims and constructing the lot), and we give them specific roles. Sometimes we have "real" conversations with our household members even: one of us asks about day, other responds with giving repair tips, etc, and we have a set personality for each Sim, we pick actions that would be in-character for them. Sometimes we make Sims join activities if I see my sister sent one of the Sims playing video games or watching TV, sometimes I make my Sims mentor her Sims and vice versa. Sometimes my Sims have negative moods and my sister uses her Sims to cheer them up. And I'm sure we would absolutely love RPing with each other if we were that type of Sim player.

It absolutely can work if you participate with people you are very close to. My sister and I are a very close pair and we love playing S4MP together.

DrGluon and James Turner played that mod and recorded a couple of videos of it, I thought it looked okay but I thought it looked very limited, only one could build, if you travel you had to bring both sims etc. Which is what I am worried about when it comes to them making the sims5 multiplayer, we will never see Create a Style or Create a World because that will be too demanding for an online game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    logion wrote: »

Hopefully it will be like with the next Battlefield, which will have a PC version (which is rumored to be bigger than ever) and a smaller mobile version (which will probably be pretty limited).

Hopefully indeed...
    The main problem I have with the same game being available on all kinds of platforms including mobile, is that I probably won’t need a new video card or beefy pc. But I want to. I want to play super slick looking games with super slick in-depth gameplay on my super slick pc with that super slick video card. Whether it’s Single player or Multiplayer, I don’t care* .

What about the graphics?
    How in-depth and meaningful will Ai & simulation be?

I’m pretty sure I don’t want to play that same thing on my phone...
    Bubble shooter is as far as I go.

*I do very much care. I don’t fancy The Sims being multiplayer unless it’s very much optional. My sims sleep naked.