Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Try Before You Buy?

Looks like we may be getting an option to try out packs before buying.

From TurboDriver:

Looks like we might be getting a way to test packs for a limited time.
This will come with "Trial Goals" to complete while playing, probably
to let you try what these packs offer before you decide to buy them.
Sounds pretty good if you're unsure about buying a pack.

zVQcpS4.png

Makes sense to add a way to lock saves for packs you no longer have,
after the trial period ends.

NjXopIx.png

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Very interesting, thanks for posting that info here. It's a feature I would probably take advantage of.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    So that's why they updated the UI......

TBH I think this is a mistake on Maxis's part.....but great for consumers. Because most of the content that they make is either broken or so little that you could probably play it within the trial period and never want to touch it again due to how repetitive it is.

Yes I’m confused as to how this could benefit them. I’m in two minds, part of me thinks along those lines but part of me is also thinking a pack with an initial negative reaction (JtB for example) could perhaps be given a chance with a trial and people could end up having more fun with it than they thought they would, whether that be with the gameplay, CAS, B/B and then decide to purchase.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This is fantastic if true!! I hope it happens for real and starting from the next pack.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Reminds me of Amazon's policy to let you download a sample of a book you might be thinking of purchasing. Of course the sample draws you in. I've purchased after sampling but usually I end up reserving at the library.

EA is probably betting that the majority who try will buy. Plus they'll probably attract some players who never had any intention to buy.

Wonder how long the trial period will last.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    Yes I’m confused as to how this could benefit them. I’m in two minds, part of me thinks along those lines but part of me is also thinking a pack with an initial negative reaction (JtB for example) could perhaps be given a chance with a trial and people could end up having more fun with it than they thought they would, whether that be with the gameplay, CAS, B/B and then decide to purchase.

Trial periods in general are usually portrayed to us as being a way to make sure we like something before we buy it, which yeah, can probably be a result of it, but I think the real reason they do it is (like you touched on) to hook people who otherwise would never consider. Apart from strangerville maybe, it'd be hard to fully explore the content of a large pack in a short period of time, especially if you've got a busy life.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2021
    *5 years later the chair is added to basegame*

“OMG I PAID $40 FOR THAT CHAIR!!!!!”

This. More so Sims 3, buy I remember caving and getting a pack just for hair that I needed to have. I currently have Vampire and have only ever used the clothes and candles.

BUT...if the hair/candles later become discounted I don't complain. All the games are eventually diet cheap. What you're paying for is the ability to play with them while they're hot.

Bought a beanie baby in 1999 for $40 and now it's worth pennies? How about those LOL dolls from two years ago? That's life.

Edit: diet cheap should be dirt cheap
  • Options
    mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    I had a 48h trial period for the base game 3 years ago and that's definitely what convinced me to buy it (in addition with a sale) as I had "left" the franchise after Sims2.
    It's a great way to see how you enjoy the game/pack and how your computer is handling it.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Looks like we may be getting an option to try out packs before buying.

From TurboDriver:

Looks like we might be getting a way to test packs for a limited time.
    This will come with "Trial Goals" to complete while playing, probably
    to let you try what these packs offer before you decide to buy them.
    Sounds pretty good if you're unsure about buying a pack.

zVQcpS4.png

Makes sense to add a way to lock saves for packs you no longer have,
    after the trial period ends.

NjXopIx.png

Can't wait to try them for free.
  • Options
    Mareah wrote: »
    This is fantastic if true!! I hope it happens for real and starting from the next pack.

It would be cool if we get to do it with the Upcoming Gamepack.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Amazon's policy to let you download a sample of a book you might be thinking of purchasing. Of course the sample draws you in. I've purchased after sampling but usually I end up reserving at the library.

EA is probably betting that the majority who try will buy. Plus they'll probably attract some players who never had any intention to buy.

Wonder how long the trial period will last.

I wonder if any part of the said pack will be cut in the trials example the new world or some of the community lots.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited April 2021
    This is a great idea. I really like it. It reminds me of steams refund policy. You can refund any game you have bought as long as you have not played it for longer than 2 hours.

I also wonder how long the trial period will last, you can experience everything in a pack quite quickly, I hope this will make them design packs so they will last longer.

Combine these leaks with xbox tweeting at them and I would not be surprised if they are planning to promote this with Xbox Game Pass.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    this would be really neat

cause i have few stuff packs that are like
    " I really feel i would like this stuff"
    but at the same time I'm also like
    " but what if all the swatches are awful and cas items don't sit right on my sims so in the end I never use it"

-literally me when paranormal came out and look who is using it all the freaking time everywhere now even more than 90% of eps i have
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    Who asked for this? Lol this is such a strange concept to me. Isn’t that the reason why they pay the YouTube people and do those Maxis streams: so that players can get a feel for what is in the pack and if they think they will want it? If they give people the option to download any pack and play any feature of it for a limited time, they might as well stop with the streams and the Game Changer stuff. It makes no sense to do both.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Who asked for this? Lol this is such a strange concept to me. Isn’t that the reason why they pay the YouTube people and do those Maxis streams: so that players can get a feel for what is in the pack and if they think they will want it? If they give people the option to download any pack and play any feature of it for a limited time, they might as well stop with the streams and the Game Changer stuff. It makes no sense to do both.

The Game Changers do early preview reviews. This is for people who are still left undecided after watching the reviews. Or people who might consider buying later for whatever reason.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I really like this idea (although I'm not sure if this will be available for console players too or only PC?).

There are still some packs I am undecided about despite reading reviews and watching YouTube videos etc. Because I can't quite see how it would fit into my game. The reviews are usually super informative, but it isn't the same as testing it out yourself.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Wow! I really like this idea! It would be a great way to check out game breaking bugs before buying.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

But a game changer doesn’t play the game the same way another individual plays. Early access Gamechanger videos and livestreams exist so that people can get a clear overview of what’s shipped with the pack. Which is good. Based on those videos a player may even decide to try it or not.

Being offered an opportunity to try DLC out for yourself and use features depending on your own play style within your own save is always better in my opinion.

Plus it’s indeed a clever way to draw people in because once they use a couple of items or features in their saves they probably just want to keep the whole darn thing and pay for it. Because the one thing simmer folks dislike is when something’s messing up their saves...
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I like it. Reminds me of demo discs from a bygone era of gaming. Usually if you're lukewarm about a pack you'd have to rely on reviews, and in my opinion, you dont really know if you do like a pack until you really start playing it yourself. Watching reviews and Lets Plays can only go so far.

But I can dig the idea. I just hope simmers will have the small amount of sense needed to use the feature, rather than having a twitter tantrum about spending so much money for 2 build/buy objects but hating the gameplay and demanding nerfs.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I wish I could believe that this would quell some of the vitriol but I don’t, not even a little bit.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Not everyone watches the Game Changers streams though I sure do not.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Not everyone watches the Game Changers streams though I sure do not.

What would be the benefit of them keeping game changers on the payroll, AND doing their own Maxis content streams, AND offering gamers the ability to download trials of the packs to play themselves? They all serve the same purpose and in my opinion, the ability to download and play the pack myself trumps the other options.

I’m curious if this will impact the game changers and the company streams.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

The Game Changers do early preview reviews. This is for people who are still left undecided after watching the reviews. Or people who might consider buying later for whatever reason.

I buy every pack but I just want to try it before release just to test new features,buymode,cas and worlds.