Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, we are not getting an expansion pack?

In today's livestream they announced a new gamepack is coming soon.

Generally on June we were getting an expansion pack but in this scenerio timeline has changed. So my question is when do you think the new expansion pack will launch?

Comments

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Maybe because everyone is working from home the packs got pushed back a bit. We could still get an EP, but it may be in July or August.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Maybe because everyone is working from home the packs got pushed back a bit. We could still get an EP, but it may be in July or August.

Yeah, I agree. Working from home undoubtedly slows things down. I might cross my fingers for an EP around the end of June, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it could be July or August like you said.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member

This is what I'm thinking. And since it's different teams who work on EPs vs GPs, it's totally possible that there is still an EP in the works.
  • simmietimesimmietime Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think this year will be only 1 EP again - around November/December time. If TS4 is to "go on for many years" as the gurus say, 2 EPs per year every year will mean a huge number of EPs and the game becoming unstable and oversaturated.

We are already on expansion no 10, one more and it equals to that of TS3. Otherwise by November 2024 we would have 18 EPs :open_mouth:

Just my theory.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Well maybe in summer because EA does that Gamescon thing they'll probably announce it then.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Or possibly they're breaking the schedule they've stuck too for a few years and are doing just one EP in November.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Going back to 1 EP per year is very unlikely. I’m pretty sure they have a larger team working on TS4 than ever. For example, there are a total of 43 engineers working on the game according to Bust the Dust’s credits. Meanwhile only 35 engineers were on Seasons’s credits, and they did release two EPs that year with a smaller team.

The game is also at its peak revenue wise, making about $450 million in fiscal year 2021. EA would not allow only one EP and thus a huge dip in revenue year-over-year.

I don’t think a July or even August EP release is likely though. They’ve never released an EP in July ever since TS1 for example. First month of a quarter is always a bad time to release an EP (with the exception of October due to holiday seasons).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Going back to 1 EP per year is very unlikely. I’m pretty sure they have a larger team working on TS4 than ever. For example, there are a total of 43 engineers working on the game according to Bust the Dust’s credits. Meanwhile only 35 engineers were on Seasons’s credits, and they did release two EPs that year with a smaller team.

The game is also at its peak revenue wise, making about $450 million in fiscal year 2021. EA would not allow only one EP and thus a huge dip in revenue year-over-year.

I don’t think a July or even August EP release is likely though. They’ve never released an EP in July ever since TS1 for example. First month of a quarter is always a bad time to release an EP (with the exception of October due to holiday seasons).

So maybe we're getting the Game Pack now (in late may/early June) and then back to back EPs? (October and December?)

Either that or it's Late May GP, Late june EP, September GP, November EP?
  • mrkingvmrkingv Posts: 103 Member
    I think we'll have a early/mid May GP and a late June EP.
    GKOVUiH.png

Forum Discussion • Read it HERE
  • ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »

So maybe we're getting the Game Pack now (in late may/early June) and then back to back EPs? (October and December?)

Either that or it's Late May GP, Late june EP, September GP, November EP?

I haven't watched the livestream yet, but I'm really surprised they're changing the schedule. You could try to guess at when the packs will come based on potential content - like, October would work VERY well for an occult EP (werewolves with a lunar cycle and new world?) - but given that we don't even know that we'd literally just be speculating into thin air.

I'd still expect an EP in summer, to be honest, just because it's a good time for a summer/travel themed pack and they've been pushing hard on that idea lately, especially with everyone stuck at home ('journey' to Batuu, snowy 'escape'), but who knows now? And especially since we don't always hear about packs until a week or two before they come out, I don't think we'll know at all what's coming out now this year. I was just preparing to hear some news, since May's around the corner and they need a four-week lead-in to the June EP, but may as well throw that out the window now.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited April 2021
    I guess they could maybe release an EP in late June but they said that they are going to release a GP and a Kit so I wonder if they made the kit because they will not have an EP in June.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »

Yeah, I agree. Working from home undoubtedly slows things down. I might cross my fingers for an EP around the end of June, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it could be July or August like you said.

We've never gotten a pack in July.
    logion wrote: »
    I guess they could maybe release an EP in late June but they said that they are going to release a GP and a Kit so I wonder if they made the kit because they will not have an EP in June.

Kit will probably release in May.
    mrkingv wrote: »
    I think we'll have a early/mid May GP and a late June EP.

That would be cool.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member

Circumstances have been different this year, so I wouldn't consider it unheard of for anything to break the norm. :)
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member

Circumstances have been different this year, so I wouldn't consider it unheard of for anything to break the norm. :)

I agree. I think people look too closely at previous release patterns and assume based on that. With the addition of kits and probably catching up from any delays 2020 caused, I would completely expect a shift in when we’re seeing new content.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    A new EP would be nice. But after IL and EL with all the problems we encountered, I won't be sad if it takes longer before we see a new one. I'd much rather have one excellent EP with fewer issues than get two that take months of waiting before it's playable.
  • ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member
    Holiday wrote: »

I agree. I think people look too closely at previous release patterns and assume based on that. With the addition of kits and probably catching up from any delays 2020 caused, I would completely expect a shift in when we’re seeing new content.

Some of the release patterns are based on strong reasons, is why - like fiscal quarters, tax years, and EA giving themselves the maximum time for maximum profit before having to report that profit to their shareholders. It's the same reason I wouldn't expect them to change from releasing packs on Tuesdays and Fridays - which is either to rake in a big 'opening weekend' for a pack, or to get the longest amount of time for people to buy a pack digitally before digital sales are totted up the next Monday (I assume that's the reason anyway, as it's how it used to work with music downloads). So I would expect some things to stay the same no matter what, because that's what works best for EA. But you're right, I certainly wouldn't expect everything to be the same this year, especially now they've added kits into the equation for an extra revenue stream.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Reedfish wrote: »
    Holiday wrote: »

Some of the release patterns are based on strong reasons, is why - like fiscal quarters, tax years, and EA giving themselves the maximum time for maximum profit before having to report that profit to their shareholders. It's the same reason I wouldn't expect them to change from releasing packs on Tuesdays and Fridays - which is either to rake in a big 'opening weekend' for a pack, or to get the longest amount of time for people to buy a pack digitally before digital sales are totted up the next Monday (I assume that's the reason anyway, as it's how it used to work with music downloads). So I would expect some things to stay the same no matter what, because that's what works best for EA. But you're right, I certainly wouldn't expect everything to be the same this year, especially now they've added kits into the equation for an extra revenue stream.

Fridays for expansion packs have been the norm for as long as I can remember, so definitely won’t expect to see a change with that and I would presume that they will have an Expansion planned for the holiday season around November. I was just making a point that just because we’ve seen packs in June before doesn’t rule out the fact that we could perhaps see one in July this year instead.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    maybe the gp we are getting is the missing one from last year
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    maybe the gp we are getting is the missing one from last year

It is possible the GP is coming out first because it was further in development before the pandemic messed everything up. I didn't realize there was one missing from last year.

It isn't impossible for us to still get two EPs. I have no clue what to expect at this point, but I'm glad that we've been getting some free content in the updates. And I'm even happier that they're improving the textures on the hair. If only they'd do that for some of the plants and other build/buy items in the game that look... um... not great. The sims team have improved a lot since the early packs. I also know there are CC creators and modders who have fixed textures for a lot of these items. They could pay these people to use the fixed textures and make it part of another patch. Anyway, sorry, I got off topic for a second. I'm hoping we will see an EP soon after the GP.
    I've got my fingers crossed for an EP in June and I'm hoping the Gamepack is coming out in May. The earlier the better.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I've got my fingers crossed for an EP in June and I'm hoping the Gamepack is coming out in May. The earlier the better.

here's hoping
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • polishsimmepolishsimme Posts: 20 Member
    [quote="catloverplayer;c-17867727"]I've got my fingers crossed for an EP in June and I'm hoping the Gamepack is coming out in May. The earlier the better.[/quote]

Exactly what I've been hoping for 🤞

Personally, I am unable to play till the end of June due to having multiple diploma exams, so would be a perfect treat after passing them - a nice kit, May's GP and June's EP :D
  • ThaPhoenix1ThaPhoenix1 Posts: 132 Member
    I think we'll get a GP at the beginning of June (two weeks notice with an announcement on 17th May) and an EP in late July or early August, perhaps.