Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you like to play?

I'm super-curious about the different little quirks and individual preferences when it comes to people's gameplay. Tell me some things about the way you like to play.

For example:
- I have one save file where I make all my families, that way they all know each other and become friends.
- I play on x2 speed and pause the game every time my sims have finished all their interactions, so I can line up new ones. I'm pretty controlling like that.
- Because I play in a single save file, I only allow the active household to age, whilst everyone else stays frozen in time until I rotate back to playing their family. Again, controlling lol
- I like to come up with stories for the sims I play, but I also follow the flow of the game, so e.g. if I am playing with a girl sim and have someone in mind for her love interest, but then she meets a random NPC who starts checking her out, I might abandon the original plan and see if she has some chemistry with the said NPC.

So yeah do you guys relate to anything I do or do you do things differently? Tell me anything you like, I would love to know :)
Drummer in Seize The Day

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I play pretty similar to you, but I'm not as controlling.

I only play in one save and I have every family/family-line I have ever created in that save. They don't all know each other, but many of friends and some are enemies. I have a language mod which makes it harder to communicate with sims from what is perceived as other countries, but they have the opportunity to learn other languages.

-I am starting to realize that there is no way to make my sims behave like I think they should without intervention so I'm going to have to do more role-playing. I randomize traits so when I have a mean sim that never does anything mean and gets along with everyone, I lose interest. So I'm going to have to actually make her do mean interactions.

-i play on rotation and keep aging off for everyone except the active family.

-I tend to let the stories create themselves through organic gameplay. I keep track of who's who and what what through taking in game screenshots, taking family pics, and writing things down. I have over 60 families that I play. Sometimes I can't remember their names, but I do know their stories. I like some sims way better than others.

-I try not to speed up the game as much as possible because it causes my sims to stand around for periods. It's pretty smooth on normal speed. Sometimes I can play a whole gaming session and only 1 day has passed.

-I've been playing the same families since the game came out. I'm on generation 14. Some of my sims didn't age for the 4 years I stopped playing. I'm currently trying to get them aged up so we can move on with their lives.

-im having a lot of fun learning of all the features I missed while I was gone.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I like these kind of discussions! I really enjoy seeing how different people play too. Your play style seems kind of like how my husband plays. He has more than one save file, but otherwise it seems very similar.

My play style is pretty different than yours though.
    - I have at least 20 different save files (last count, I think I added a couple more since then).
    - In most of my saves, I only play one household. In some of them I play several households (though I'm usually focused on only one household at a time for several irl months).
    - In two saves, I am not really playing, but rather using the sims game like an art studio for getting pictures that I use in comic-book style stories I write.
    - I play with aging turned off. Sometimes I say I'm planning to age some of the sims up manually, but so far I really haven't. I just like them the way they are.
    - I love making sims, so I also populate the empty houses of my worlds with sims I made but don't intend to play with.
    - I have three ways of playing: A meandering sim-driven mostly "happy families" way, a slightly more plot driven but still gameplay inspired storytelling way (maybe kind of like yours?), and the planned out "art studio" for a comic-book writing project way. All are fun for me.
    - I never use the fast forward buttons except at night, or when doing the scripted stuff for the comic-books, to get to the next scene.
    - I love to watch sims doing their activities (even if I've seen it already a thousand times). I often rotate the camera all around them while they're doing a task, zooming in and out, so I can see their animations from every angle and distance. And I frequently will pause the game multiple times mid-task just to admire a moment and get a screenshot. I do this regardless of what play style I am currently playing.
    - I love taking screenshots, and I can easily take a hundred or more in one session if I play for a few hours.
    - I love making my own custom poses. I use these heavily while taking my screenshots for the comic books. I also want to learn to make animations.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I have a language mod which makes it harder to communicate with sims from what is perceived as other countries, but they have the opportunity to learn other languages.

ooh I saw that mod, but didn't install it. It sounds really cool actually, I might try it!

It's so interesting that you play on normal speed! I mean I know people do obviously, but I just find it so hard to relate to. Also, I love that you have 60+ families and over 14 generations! I haven't played enough to have that many, but for me that kinda stuff makes the game worth playing - just knowing all the stories and the lineages and having witnessed it all from the beginning. Thanks for sharing :)
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have several save files, but I rotate households in most of them. In some saves I only rotate a couple or a few, and other saves have many more. I don't have a particular schedule for rotations; I go by my own whims in regard to what I feel like doing and with which save/household. ;)

I have aging on for everyone in most of my saves, but I also use MCCC to have custom lifespans (with some stages shorter or longer than default ones) and also to have a slower time rate. So everyone keeps aging and their lives move on while I'm playing another household, and if I'm too slow getting back to them before major things happen, then so be it.

I have one save in which I play primarily legacy-style households (what many players may mean when they say "family play"). Families do exist in other saves as well, but they're not my primary focus, as I actually don't enjoy playing with babies and toddlers at all (those life stages have very short custom spans in my game), and although children are a bit better, I'm not highly fond of playing with them, either.

Many of my stories are "written" in large part by the sims themselves, though I usually give them some sort of foundation, as it were. I keep full autonomy on all the time, so many times I make decisions for individual sims based on what they seem to want. Ok, sometimes they want really stupid or useless things,so I don't let all of those happen, but I do let many of them play out. Sometimes it's highly entertaining or otherwise rewarding, and other times I have to shake my head and mutter at their utter and complete idiocy. :lol:
    Post edited by VeeDub on
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I prefer to control only one family and let the world live the way it will. Playing at 1x speed wit pauses when necessary. I keep multiple save for safety reasons, but all of them are of the same world. I allow the world age normally, but only during winters to simulate longer life spans. I also tend to focus on one Sim as my main. allowing all others to live their lives as they see fin UNLESS main Sim is not available in which case I switch to next one until primary becomes available again.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I play a lot like the OP, I have my game on long life, but in reality I play with aging off most of the time. I play at original speed most of my sims waking time, and micromanage my sims, so I pause a lot, and sometimes only play a sims day worth in a session. Sometimes a few days. I have a very large rotation, I’m holding off on aging many families because they have babies and I want to see a baby update first, so doing, I have gotten quite attached to the sims in the save, which I have been playing since 2014. I have a couple of saves I tried playing legacy like , but I got bored doing that. I like my rotational save, where most sims know some of my other sims.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I have a language mod which makes it harder to communicate with sims from what is perceived as other countries, but they have the opportunity to learn other languages.

ooh I saw that mod, but didn't install it. It sounds really cool actually, I might try it!

It's so interesting that you play on normal speed! I mean I know people do obviously, but I just find it so hard to relate to. Also, I love that you have 60+ families and over 14 generations! I haven't played enough to have that many, but for me that kinda stuff makes the game worth playing - just knowing all the stories and the lineages and having witnessed it all from the beginning. Thanks for sharing :)

Oh yeah. I think that's what keeps me attached to the sims game even when I'm mad at maxis for the bugs. I still love my characters and I still can go back and look at my old pics from TS2 and know exactly what was happening in that moment. Same for TS4, I look back very fondly at all the memories.
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    @GlacierSnow the comic-book stories sound SOOOO cool! I love stuff like that, I can see myself enjoying it too. Can you post an example of one of your pages by any chance? Also, I really relate to what you said about sometimes saying you'll age them up, but then never doing it XD I sometimes change my settings and put auto-age on for the world, but then change my mind like an hour later and change it back lol I've had situations where one of my sims is long dead, meanwhile one of her good friends, who used to be the same age, is still a young adult :#

oh and I also love pausing and taking screenshots, especially of a group of sims together. I like reminiscing of who was friends with whom and how their relationships developed. I have a stay at home dad with a family-oriented trait in one of my current families and I have taken lots of screenshots of him reading to the toddlers and playing with them, its so sweet, they have such a cute bond ^_^

@VeeDub I also have custom ages using MCCC :) I love that you let the sims do what they want, you are a saint! lol can I ask - if you don't really do 'family play', what do you do instead?
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    I prefer to control only one family and let the world live the way it will.

that's interesting, it reminds me a little of the asylum challenge, where you are only allowed to control one of the sims in a house of 8. I've never tried it myself, but I think I will in the future.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I’m holding off on aging many families because they have babies and I want to see a baby update first, so doing, I have gotten quite attached to the sims in the save

yeah, same here. I want to play with all of the babies my original families had, but that would take forever, so a lot of them haven't aged up in aaages. So many sims, so little time! lol
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @magic_cat_tree Asylum challenge implies that your family is isolated from outside world. I don't play that way. I just don't rotate at all.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    So far I'm just doing "basic" stuff, nothing too crazy. Like basic rotational play. I would play a family, or one sim, raise their skills, get a job, get their job to max level, get them a bf/gf, get them married, get their spouse to max career or even a career if they don't have one. Get them kids, then do the same with the kids but on the school level of course. Raise their skills, do homework ect...I might do something more later with kids like make some delinquents, some genuises, or some just basic average. Also been adding pets to families as well now! I might explore some challenges later like the 100 babies/toddler challenges, ect.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    edited April 2021
    @magic_cat_tree In some ways I play similar to you, in others the exact opposite.
    1. I have a custom save I create a while ago which is constantly being updated. It's populated with all new houses from the gallery and community venues using all the packs I own and sims I've made and premades I've made over. I use this file every time I start a new game. I only play my simself and her SO. Sometimes they start out living apart and I have them meet cute, sometimes they start off in the same house as roomies and I just watch while they fall for each other, which they always do to my delight. But I have multiple save files because I NEVER play rotationally. It's just not my style. I frankly don't care that much about other sims LOL.
    2. I have separate saves for separate purposes, which I don't think is too unusual from what I've seen. I downloaded an AWESOME Mulder and Scully from the gallery to solve the Strangerville mystery. I have another save set up to reform the ecosystem or whatever in Sulani, but I've held off on that one because I can't decide which Sim to use.
    3. I always play on normal speed unless the game itself speeds up, for example when everyone is asleep or at work and school. I'd feel like I was missing something, and besides it looks bizarre to me haha. I also use MCCC to make days twice as long, and also use MCCC to make incredibly long life spans. The life stages vary widely, though. Sims are YA longer than child or teen, for example, but all life stages are far longer than the normal in game lifespan.
    4. I play with aging on for the most part because of having such long lifespans. Everyone in town ages together.
    5. I don't really try to force things to happen in my game, I'm more of a go-with-the-flow type. I'm controlling insofar as keeping their needs met and making sure they do well at work, but when they're at home I frequently just set them free under full autonomy. I love to watch what they get up to!

EDIT: I realized I contradicted myself somewhat by saying I "only" play my simself and her SO. Obviously I don't lol. I meant I only play them if I'm playing legacy style. Mulder and Scully aren't going to settle down and have babies ever after. :D
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    My play habit is still shaping out as I'm new but it seems like I'm going the 'almost one save route'.

I have a few backups in case of file corruption. And I have one save that I made the day I got the game, that I've left mostly unplayed - and I use it to pull out 'unmodded copies' of lots or households anytime I want a reset on something.

But in the same I'm playing - I've made a stack of households and I sort of randomly rotate through them looking for what's interesting me in that moment. I'm just hitting a point where I'm thinking of deleting a few of the sims I made that don't quite speak to me, or letting them go and see what they become.

Every so often I go through the list of generated sims and cull most of them, then group a few together when I find an interesting one has taken over an empty house. Opening up cheats to adjust a few traits or alter their look a little when I do this.

Beyond that, I went through all the premade families and aged everyone up so that the youngest person was a teen and the household still made sense, and I've got the mod 'MCCC' I think, set to try to prevent the creation of anyone younger than that, and somewhere I turned off pregnancy. Then I turned off aging.

So they're a little frozen in time.

It looks like most people love to play through many generations, but for now I'm just looking to get to know these sims. I might start aging them and letting families occur later.

I've also been filling in empty lots with builds I get off the gallery or various site, that fit the 'theme' of the area or a theme together (Newcrest - I've been trying to theme the 3 areas). Over time I'll likely replace a lot of those multiple times - but I did that to have a sense of logic to the sims I kept.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    I play in 3 saves: 1 for building, 1 for a supersim challenge and 1 for a rotational gameplay (my primarily way of playing). I play with aging on for the active household only, long lifespan and 1 week season (but maybe 1 will use 2 weeks because the holidays return a little to fast). I think I like micromanaging, because I pause to queue actions for my sims. I still give my sim full autonomy because a like having unexpected situations to happen. It become boring fast if I know everything that will happen to my sims. I play mostly on speed 1 (speed 3 for sleeping) and I like watching the lanscape and ear the natural sound effects.
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I have a few different saves and mostly just play one family until I get bored.

I'm kind of intrigued by rotational gameplay and have dabbled with it. I started with just one family and as it grew, I began rotating between the family line. That was my first experience with rotational gameplay. In my opinion, it's probably the best way to play around with rotational gameplay because you're already invested in the family.

I just started a new save with just young adults and I'm attempting rotational play without anyone being related (well except the Pleasant sisters and the Gonzalez siblings). I've also added a lot of premades and Maxis gallery sims to this file, instead of just using my sims. I've started them all out with a small starter house. I'm only a few households in though, so time will tell how long it keeps my interest. They're all only in the base game worlds for now, but as the generations progress (if I choose to progress), I'll populate the other worlds.

I made Sulani and Mt. Komorebi vacation worlds only. I don't really play in those worlds with normal gameplay so I thought by making them vacation worlds, I would be more likely to use them; which is another idea I got from a thread on here. All the other worlds have nothing but community lots and I do allow my sims to visit them but no one lives in them. I made it this way to give myself a personal goal. To populate the entire save with descendants of the original sims.

I think as I make more sims, I may just add them to this save as well, to keep things interesting.

I attempted this a while back but I gave myself too many restrictions, and got bored before making it through my first rotation. I got overwhelmed with having to build everything before my sims could use it. Plus, my sims felt stale and boring before I even got started. They were sims I had made forever ago and never played. They felt too familiar for me to even start their stories, if that makes sense.

All in all, I enjoy trying new playstyles here and there. I love threads like this because it gives me more ideas.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @VeeDub I also have custom ages using MCCC :) I love that you let the sims do what they want, you are a saint! lol can I ask - if you don't really do 'family play', what do you do instead?

Oh, I do some family play, but other than a very few specific legacy-style families, I don't generally do that sort of play for its own sake. For me family stuff is most often a means to an end or a "theatre" to play out one or more stories (or a vehicle for them). Many of my other households never marry or otherwise take partners with the intent of having children. Among those, some are shady characters who do shady things, and some are sims who simply don't tend to fit into traditional forms of "normal" society. And some just seem never to get around to it, lol.

But I can assure you, I'm really not a saint. :smiley:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    I’m newbie to TS4 as well so the playstyle is still shaping.

In TS3 I’m a somewhat rotational player who keeps multiple save files, both for safety and “alternate universe” shenanigans. I like having these different versions of my characters in different worlds as “side characters”. Then I let storyprogression do its’ thing (mod version, Nraas) and could see what they would get up to. In most saves I focused on certain family or families. Rotational playstyle could sometimes be rather challenging cuz then my sims would automatically mess up their relationships when I was busy playing another. On certain saves I don’t care about that though, let them ruin everything :D.

In TS4 it seems like I’m moving towards rotational playstyle. First, I just stuck with one family although I did throw some other characters in the world but didn’t play them (at first). I let all aging go on (long life span) cuz I’m used to TS3 but kind of ended up regretting it later because TS4 does not have storyprogression so the townies don’t actually do anything interesting with their lives and now some familiar faces have already died of old age (like Mortimer, just when my vampire sim Axel accidentally started a romantic interest relationship with him cuz I forgot “enticing introduction” is romantic. Oh well, he’ll keep flirting with his ghost then lol.) I think I’m moving my playstyle more towards “let them all age when it serves my purposes” kind of thing instead of having it on all the time. Rotational playstyle will also work better here because the lack of storyprogression will kind of keep my sims in stasis so they are not messing up everything behind my back. It’s kind of like a “blast from the past” type of thing because this is how TS2 was played.

I still have multiple saves for safety reasons and “alternate universes” if there's a need for it. Like, my Homeless challenge is basically just a different version of my main hood but has the same characters. That’s because of the rules and nature of the challenge i.e. normal lifespan, aging on, plus I’m fulfilling every stupid whim my sims might have so if they wish to kiss someone then the nearest sim will be the target. I might not want that amount of drama in my “normal” game.
    I have a few different saves and mostly just play one family until I get bored.

I'm kind of intrigued by rotational gameplay and have dabbled with it. I started with just one family and as it grew, I began rotating between the family line. That was my first experience with rotational gameplay. In my opinion, it's probably the best way to play around with rotational gameplay because you're already invested in the family.

I just started a new save with just young adults and I'm attempting rotational play without anyone being related (well except the Pleasant sisters and the Gonzalez siblings). I've also added a lot of premades and Maxis gallery sims to this file, instead of just using my sims. I've started them all out with a small starter house. I'm only a few households in though, so time will tell how long it keeps my interest. They're all only in the base game worlds for now, but as the generations progress (if I choose to progress), I'll populate the other worlds.

I made Sulani and Mt. Komorebi vacation worlds only. I don't really play in those worlds with normal gameplay so I thought by making them vacation worlds, I would be more likely to use them; which is another idea I got from a thread on here. All the other worlds have nothing but community lots and I do allow my sims to visit them but no one lives in them. I made it this way to give myself a personal goal. To populate the entire save with descendants of the original sims.

I think as I make more sims, I may just add them to this save as well, to keep things interesting.

I attempted this a while back but I gave myself too many restrictions, and got bored before making it through my first rotation. I got overwhelmed with having to build everything before my sims could use it. Plus, my sims felt stale and boring before I even got started. They were sims I had made forever ago and never played. They felt too familiar for me to even start their stories, if that makes sense.

All in all, I enjoy trying new playstyles here and there. I love threads like this because it gives me more ideas.

One of the things I do is start off with a completely empty world. I have starter sims/families that I use to populate the neighborhoods. I usually start with just a few, maybe like 6. I build them each their own custom home and keep everything else empty. As I need more things, to go places, to buy things, restaurants, etc, I add them little by little. And as their kids grow up, they move out and need a home, they get one somewhere. Sometimes the families are really close and the kids stay nearby, but sometimes the kids are like get me as far from here as possible. They may even move to a different country like my komorembei or windenburg (or however it's spelled). And little by little, I'm building up a whole world, playing and having fun with a lot of different families.

Maybe this would be something that interests you or keeps you going. You can also grab from the gallery if building isn't your thing.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I have a few different "Play" saves, two building saves, and one testing save active at present. I've got "finished" play saves and abandoned Testing saves scattered through my Save folder.

In my Main play save, I play one household through the generations until I get to some point I decided on as a goal. Sometimes that's just a certain number of generations, sometimes it's getting a certain number of aspirations completed, sometimes getting through a certain number of careers, sometimes that's getting through a specific storyline that I just need the right setup to play through.

I have one save dedicated for play while waiting for Mods to update. That save I'm also kinda doing generationally, but since I only play it for 1-3 days every month - skipping some if my mods get the all clear/updates on day one, It moves slower. It's also my "general play" where I don 't play with any specific goal in mind beyond aspirations.

Then there's my "challenge" saves - Rags to Newcrest (a take on Building Newcrest), 7 Stories (Each generation I need to come up with a story based on Booker's 7 Basic Plots and finish it), "Not the 100 baby challenge" (how long I can play before I'm tired of dealing with babies and toddlers.) and Vampire Love (find love, love dies, wait for love to be Reincarnated using MCCC's Import from Tray feature) Each played slightly differently depending on the challenge parameters, though generational playing a single household does seem to be my thing.

Main save, No Mods save, Rags to Newcrest and 7 Stories are each Long life, aging on for all. Not 100 baby is Normal lifespan (for my sanity) and Vampire Love is short.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

I play the save that I had since launch. Rotational, family oriented, occults are also family oriented. Everyone just go about their day. Rotational play allows me to play with the different features and objects that are constantly being added. And there are still many things I need to explore. Lately I've been dabbling in small mods such as quick shower, power napping, experimental food "servings", veggie juice in fridge if you have the produce. These help with gameplay flow. The veggie juice is a nice healthy quick meal option imho because what's provided are only applesauce, peas, or edamame? Now my alien sims can "serve" sixam pit beast for their whole family instead of being allowed only one serving at a time.

I also like to set up retail shops for certain items. If my sim need anything alien, head to the alien depot. They have specific crystals, rocks, certain elixirs, strangerville plants, fruit and alien like experimental meals. But if your sim needs voodoo dolls, potions, flying brooms, weird food, weird fish, strange toys, rare plants and etc, head over to the apothecary spellcaster depot. :)

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I have lots of different saves and I rarely play only one household, some of my older saves currently both stem from sims on long that went to uni so people are further ahead families are a bit different and it's generally wholesome. However, I don't have much story I'm good with how they are it's just relaxing so in that save would be certain additions I couldn't explain in detail but can say they exist. Then the other it's entirely family focused, with saves for various occults or humans different pairings or random changes whatever happens. Also I keep different lengths here and there just cause beyond that I really only change things when thinking of things I maybe haven't tried or haven't done in a while might send another family to uni soon.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited April 2021
    I like realism so I always play (which hasn’t been for some time) in normal speed. I only speed through long non-interactive things like treadmill.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I play different timelines, from Prehistoric to Futuristic. I have 5 Game Saves with most of my worlds sort of looking like the timeline they're in. I also have most of my sims dressed in their own timeline that I have them in. My lots, rooms & households are all saved in the Gallery under SEREFRAS. They are all vanilla with only the Sims 4 packs. :)
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I have several save files to pick and play. Some files contain nothing but Supernatural gameplay with Casters and Vampires while a few of are Normal, well as normal as Sims can get, which are mainly challenges. And then there’s one lone Alien file.

Another interesting things about my play style is that besides the Alien save all my other saves have no alien sims in them. If I take my sims to the bar and it’s Extraterrestrial night I go home or reload the game because I do not want them suddenly walking around town afterwards because they derail the stories I’m already playing with those files.

Which is how that lone Alien save got created after a normal sim in a Legacy challenge visited the bar on Extraterrestrial night and the following day aliens popped up. I had to rework that story line into an alien invasion one but didn’t look forward to repeating that story again if it happened again.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    With my Sims, there's never a storyline----instead, whatever event they're participating in at the time is the story. For example, I sent a couple of my Sims to the club tonight---that's the story. Of course, my gameplay is always bizarre. The club I sent them to is a Christmas-themed nightclub where they only play Winter Holiday music. There are holiday trees everywhere, and also bee boxes---people get stung...
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I play in rotation and tend to focus on neighborhoods. I like to create relationships within those neighborhoods. I use Sim Spawn Overhaul to make it more likely that the Sims walking by in that neighborhood are, in fact, neighbors. Usually in each neighborhood there are one or two families that get most of my attention, but I play the other families for at least one Sim day just to catch them up a little on family life, careers, and aspirations. If someone is pregnant, I stay with them until the birth. I plan to do the same with university, but I am modding it to make it shorter for my rotation Sims. My rotation includes some of my own Sims plus all of the premade Sims.

One of the reasons I enjoy this is that it introduces me to most forms of game play within the Sims. I get to experience various careers, neighborhoods, aspirations, different sized families with all ages of Sims, and create lots of interlocking stories. I mostly play on normal speed, but do use the fastest speed for sleeping or for getting through university stuff like presentations and term papers. I play with aging off, but I do age up manually when it makes sense to do so. I don't try to synchronize the Sim year or calendar with my rotation, I just let holidays and seasons happen where they will. I do have the longest seasons though.

I alternate playing with my rotation and my Not So Berry legacy Sims. These Sims age up on the normal life span when I am actively playing them. I try to get back to them the same day of the week as when I left them, but, again, pay no attention to what season it was when I last played them. Since I spend so much time with these Sims, I am very invested in them. I like this challenge as it forces me to introduce some forms of game play that I would otherwise not choose to do. I have to deal with some bad things happening and planning out a story around those. I also have to deal with death of pets and family members more often than in my rotation. So far in my rotation, I have had only one Sim death, Jacques Villereal.