Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which custom holidays of yours reflect your culture?

They give us lots of faux premade holidays in the game, but aside from changing the names (Love Day to Valentine's, etc) I also add custom holidays. Some I add are Memorial day on the last Sunday of Spring, Fourth of July mid-summer, Labor Day on the last Sunday of Summer, and since I'm from Louisiana, Mardi Gras in mid-winter. There are others, but you get the idea. Which custom holidays do you add which reflect your culture?
HcmCUds.jpg
Life needs an undo button.

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    I guess mine just reflect the facts i don't really care for most irl holidays or special days :sweat_smile:

+ I usually end up just skipping the holidays cause it doesnt fit in my current plot

i do kind of want to make different easter though cause here we have easter witches and bonfires instead of whatever bunny fest
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    I always change names on premade holidays and add Easter, Advent (The 4 Sundays leading up to Christmas), Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day. I think that was all. Btw, I'm from Sweden
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited April 2021
    Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, Christmas Eve, invite family members over for all of those, so I usually play with bigger families those days since they were big family holidays for my family. Also I usually add the day before Christmas Eve as a Baking day

I also add Halloween since it was always my favorite as a child. Valentine’s Day, and Fourth of July.

With one family, I will add family dinners, kind of like a reunion every so often, but they are not usually on the calendar...... that family has a club under their name, so I just start a club gathering usually.

I have recently started adding Holiday vacations with the advent of rentals in other worlds. Most of my worlds have at least one rental. and sometimes I add weekend getaways. For some Sims I will add 2-3 day sabbaticals so it’s easy for them to take off work for archeology, or other skill building or on the side money making opportunities.

I’d love to see things like zoo’s and theme parks and water parks in the sims. I would add more weekend getaways for those things. I would also like to see festivals on the calendar, if they were on the calendar, I would add festival day holidays.

If we get farming with stuff for fairs. , I will also start adding fair days. I hope we are able to put together our own fairs and theme park and carnivals.so I can mix things up a bit.

Oh, I forgot New Years Eve, I celebrate That one too on the calendar!
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    lakire wrote: »
    I always change names on premade holidays and add Easter, Advent (The 4 Sundays leading up to Christmas), Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day. I think that was all. Btw, I'm from Sweden

Same here, but from germany. Gifts are open on christmas eve in the afternoon, while having the feast on the two other christmas days with appreciation and play games or watch movies.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    New Years
    Birthdays
    Easter
    Mother's Day
    Thanksgiving
    Halloween
    Christmas
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I like the calendar, it's so flexible. I have added Valborg, with fires and singing, and some magic; Summer solstice, with flowers and romance as celebrations, and some magic of course; All Hallows Eve with remembrance, lights, and ghost and magic, of course; Perchta run, with fighting, mischief and partying. Christmas and easter is celebrated here, but I removed those out of disinterest. I am making special lots for the different celebrations.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't have Seasons (by choice), but if I did, I would immediately remove the pre-made holidays. I'd likely only ever make custom ones if I needed one for story purposes. But I doubt they'd be based on real-life stuff except possibly in the most vague or coincidental ways. My game is semi-realistic in many ways, but not very much like real life, as I make up a lot of my own culture to fit my sims and their scenarios.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I like the calendar, it's so flexible. I have added Valborg, with fires and singing, and some magic; Summer solstice, with flowers and romance as celebrations, and some magic of course; All Hallows Eve with remembrance, lights, and ghost and magic, of course; Perchta run, with fighting, mischief and partying. Christmas and easter is celebrated here, but I removed those out of disinterest. I am making special lots for the different celebrations.
    I like your lot idea. I downloaded and tweaked one lot, that I send my sims to during Christmas season. It looks like Santa’s workshop. I will send a family there to make presents for other sims before Christmas. The kids use a creative table, to create gifts for parents and grandparents, and parents and grandparents use the woodworking table, flower arranger etc.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Harvest = Thanksgiving. I'm American but I live in Finland, so it's been some 4 years since I last celebrated any American holidays.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I like your Santa's workshop @SheriSim57 . I'm thinking I might use the EL Community Space, for rotating the seasonal festivity lots, just have to decide what goes where. But it would be space saving at least, 4 different structures and themes on one lot.
  • mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited April 2021
    Easter
    Halloween
    Removed gnomes from any holidays, they're annoying!

Also added School Play, the family goes to the ceremony, give flowers to your little "star" and the parent
    makes a grand meal or a BBQ to celebrate. Even better if your kids are in a drama club or something.

Edit: I've decided I'm going to add a ceremony, "School Dance" and the kids can go all dressed up.

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have added some holidays so I have 2 or 3 in each season. Most will match the holidays in the US. What I added specifically for my culture is a day to honor the deceased, which is traditionally one November 1st. My sims attend a service and go to a grave or the cemetery in my game (remembrance tradition).
    I also think Christmas eve is important enough to be a separate day when playing with seasons on 14 or 28 days.

These are the holidays in my game:
    Spring:
    - love day (I replaced the date tradition with a romantic film)
    - spring cleaning
    - bunny days (Easter)
    Summer:
    - vacation: a subsequent few days with time of work/school and the tradition to travel/visit lots
    - summer bbq
    Autumn:
    - spooky day/Halloween
    - November 1st
    - harvest fest (thanksgiving doesn't exist here but my sims celebrate harvest fest anyway
    Winter:
    - Christmas eve
    - Christmas
    - new years eve

• permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I added in the Fourth of July and Easter, though I think I called that one Egg Day to fit in more with the generic holiday titles like Winterfest and Harvestfest. I also added in some of the major Jewish holidays, since I've made one of my main sims Jewish - though I will admit those ones are annoying when I'm playing a rotation without Jewish sims. I also add in "day off" holidays throughout the year, usually around holidays, so that sims can have days off from work and school. I also make temporary holidays when I have a wedding event or another big party, since it's a way to make sure all invited sims will have off work and school - and then you can even earn some extra aspiration points when they fulfill the holiday traditions while having the event.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    @Simmingal @Auroraskies Those pagan holidays sound interesting!

My particular Protestant religion doesn't follow Advent, but I've heard of it of course, nice to add those holidays in. I wondered if anyone would mention Boxing Day! I heard of it first when I was quite young and couldn't figure out if it referred to gift boxes or Mike Tyson kind of boxing, lol. I have been half hoping a Brit would pop in and say they have a Guy Fawkes Day!

@SheriSim57 Having the day before Christmas be a baking day is brilliant! That's exactly what it has been in my family for a few generations now. Well, more like a week or two than one day, but yeah. I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea. :) I like your idea of festivals and theme parks, water parks and zoos. I'm not sure how a zoo could be done, but we sure could build an awesome amusement park in Sims 3 with the carousel and rollercoaster. I'd love to see all that kind of stuff brought back.

@Daravi Some people here in the States open gifts on Christmas Eve too. My family has always been a Christmas morning kind of family, but to each their own. It's not like you can do it wrong, haha.

@SERVERFRA How could I have forgotten Mother's Day and Father's Day? Thanks for that. :)

@VeeDub It great how we all have our own ways of playing this great game. I honestly mostly use the holidays for free points and days off work and school. And to remember to do certain things that I'd other wise continue to forget to do.

@SamDenny Wow, Finland. How do you like it?
    mlnov39 wrote: »

Also added School Play, the family goes to the ceremony, give flowers to your little "star" and the parent
    makes a grand meal or a BBQ to celebrate. Even better if your kids are in a drama club or something.

Edit: I've decided I'm going to add a ceremony, "School Dance" and the kids can go all dressed up.

I like the gnomes for the free veggies and flowers they give. :D School play and school dance sound awesome! Are you using a mod?
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I have added some holidays so I have 2 or 3 in each season. Most will match the holidays in the US. What I added specifically for my culture is a day to honor the deceased, which is traditionally one November 1st. My sims attend a service and go to a grave or the cemetery in my game (remembrance tradition).

I can certainly appreciate that. I use the remembrance tradition for Memorial Day. I like your idea of a Spring Cleaning holiday. That's something I should be doing in RL haha.
    I also add in "day off" holidays throughout the year, usually around holidays, so that sims can have days off from work and school. I also make temporary holidays when I have a wedding event or another big party, since it's a way to make sure all invited sims will have off work and school - and then you can even earn some extra aspiration points when they fulfill the holiday traditions while having the event.

Great idea! I usually give my sim kids a consecutive 7 days off during summer, including the weekend, and that's when the family takes their summer vacation, usually to Sulani or Windenburg. I think I was honestly more excited for the ability to put rentals in any world that any of the new content we've gotten for a while. I don't have Jungle Adventures, and Granite Falls is buggy for me, so I love being able to use any world to vacation. Brindleton Bay makes a great vacation destination too.
    The Purge.

LOL!

Thanks for your answers everyone.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member

My particular Protestant religion doesn't follow Advent, but I've heard of it of course, nice to add those holidays in. I wondered if anyone would mention Boxing Day! I heard of it first when I was quite young and couldn't figure out if it referred to gift boxes or Mike Tyson kind of boxing, lol. I have been half hoping a Brit would pop in and say they have a Guy Fawkes Day!

@SheriSim57 Having the day before Christmas be a baking day is brilliant! That's exactly what it has been in my family for a few generations now. Well, more like a week or two than one day, but yeah. I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea. :) I like your idea of festivals and theme parks, water parks and zoos. I'm not sure how a zoo could be done, but we sure could build an awesome amusement park in Sims 3 with the carousel and rollercoaster. I'd love to see all that kind of stuff brought back.

@Daravi Some people here in the States open gifts on Christmas Eve too. My family has always been a Christmas morning kind of family, but to each their own. It's not like you can do it wrong, haha.

@SERVERFRA How could I have forgotten Mother's Day and Father's Day? Thanks for that. :)

@VeeDub It great how we all have our own ways of playing this great game. I honestly mostly use the holidays for free points and days off work and school. And to remember to do certain things that I'd other wise continue to forget to do.

I like the gnomes for the free veggies and flowers they give. :D School play and school dance sound awesome! Are you using a mod?

I can certainly appreciate that. I use the remembrance tradition for Memorial Day. I like your idea of a Spring Cleaning holiday. That's something I should be doing in RL haha.
    I also add in "day off" holidays throughout the year, usually around holidays, so that sims can have days off from work and school. I also make temporary holidays when I have a wedding event or another big party, since it's a way to make sure all invited sims will have off work and school - and then you can even earn some extra aspiration points when they fulfill the holiday traditions while having the event.

Great idea! I usually give my sim kids a consecutive 7 days off during summer, including the weekend, and that's when the family takes their summer vacation, usually to Sulani or Windenburg. I think I was honestly more excited for the ability to put rentals in any world that any of the new content we've gotten for a while. I don't have Jungle Adventures, and Granite Falls is buggy for me, so I love being able to use any world to vacation. Brindleton Bay makes a great vacation destination too.
    The Purge.

LOL!

Now I came up with more holidays to add to the calendar! Obviously, I write all holidays in Swedish but thought of writing them in English here since as far as I know there are not so many Swedes here.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    @FatTribble23 I just had to google memorial day. I suppose it comes closest to 11 Nov , when we honour fallen soldiers. Never thought of bringing such a day to the game.

The Purge.

LOL!

Now I came up with more holidays to add to the calendar! Obviously, I write all holidays in Swedish but thought of writing them in English here since as far as I know there are not so many Swedes here.

My game is in Dutch so I also translate names when I talk about them here. ;)
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    It's Ostara in my game today, so my family is busy hunting eggs, cleaning the house and grilling. Later they'll light the bonfire and candles. It's a fun family day. Maybe one day they will add fairies so I can include offerings to them - that gets left out atm unless I have a sim at Uni :)
    Soon after it will be Beltane which is all about fertility so that one will be the parents only on a couple days vacation.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    As an American, I add Summerfest (Cookout, Set off Fireworks) as an homage to the 4th of July.

As a Geek, I make the Geek Con that happens in Summer into a Holiday (though not a day off from work) in homage to the many years our family vacation was to Gen Con.

I also add Fright Fest as Halloween, because Halloween is the best holiday. Not sure which sub-culture that falls under. :smiley: (I do not consider myself a Goth unless we're talking as a descendant of the European Tribes of that name that Sacked Rome)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I have Liberty Day in the third week of summer (I use a mod for 21 days per season). Then Labor Day on the first Monday of Fall. I use MCCC so that the kids all get the summer off. I wait until they have about two days left prior to Labor Day to resume school. So that they start back to school on Tuesday (the next day). My kids grew up with Thursday being the first day back, but that never made sense to me. Two days and then the weekend? What's up with that? I have also created (inspired by what another player did) a 'holiday' called Church. The only requirement is going to service. :) I do wish I could send them to an actual building, but at least they go to the service (rabbit hole). Works for me. I have also created Pascha (Easter) for my Sims. I remove the Fight 'holiday' I don't like the notion of that kind of senseless violence, for one. That's it for me. Unless or until I realize I need another one. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    edited April 2021
    I love reading about everyone's holidays :)

@FatTribble23 Neighborhood Brawl could always be renamed Boxing Day!

I added the two holidays called for by Pinstar's legacy rules, and they're really fun. The first day of winter is a holiday with a tradition derived from each of the heirs who have died so far. The anniversary of the founder's death is a holiday of remembrance with one tradition: attend holiday ceremony.
    I made my first day of winter Sleep Away Day, in honor of my freegan founder who spent most of her time away from her home lot until she wanted to start gardening and having children (and could afford a bed). The tradition is to sleep at another lot, or well, "travel to another lot" in game terms. Then we just added playing musical instruments in honor of generation 2 heir who loved to play the violin.
    I made my holiday of remembrance Ancestors Day. In addition to attending the ceremony, the family shares a meal in the cemetery area together with the ghosts. Sort of a cross between Día de los Muertos and an American summer barbecue holiday.

I haven't done any holidays that are from my own culture exactly, unless you count the American summer barbecue-ish Ancestors Day. My daughter made a holiday Light Night in her game that's like Hanukkah, and I have plans for a future character who will be Christian so I'll make a Sunday holiday for going to church. (Our family is a mix of Jewish and Christian.)
    gen3-banner.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I just want to share my story of my 1st Mother's Day. Back in 1995, I was holding my beautiful tiny 6 day old baby Daughter when I got cards & gifts on Mother's Day. Now here is the funny part, I said to my own Mom, why am I getting this for Mother's Day, it's your day. Then it finally sunk in. Lol :D
    I so love that my beautiful Daughter was my 1st Mother's Day present from God, & I thank him everyday for her. Poor girl, she sometimes has to share her birthday with Mother's Day. So, even above Christmas, Mother's Day will always be my favorite holiday. ;)
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    For all the holidays that came with the game, I’ve renamed them to what we would traditionally call them: Easter, Christmas Day etc... I’ve also added in a few extras like Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Bank Holiday Weekends (UK).

I’ve also added custom traditions I’ve found online and have created special days - wouldn’t quite refer to them as holidays - such as Mental Health Awareness Day and the traditions for that is actions like Do Yoga, Meditate, Use Sauna (going from memory here)
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    I add St. Patrick's Day because my ancestors were Irish :)!
    4kkjdXo.png