Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 411 - Forum Feedback, May 6th

Comments

• peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    I want to talk about personality.

First off I like all that has been improved over time. Still more work can be done

1. Are you ever going to removing or changing idle chat. Many simmers find it detracts from personality since it means that if sims do mean interactions they just then go on and continue talking like everything is normal. This makes it hard for sims to make enemies and makes especially npcs behavior Similar
    2. I noticed that certain interactions are more likely performed based on emotions by examining mods. However most interactions the sections seems incomplete with most moods barely affecting interaction autonomy and many interactions having lmoay or exactly the same emotion an trait autonomy. Are you ever going to update that to make emotions and traits affect autonomy more and create better personality.
    3. Are you ever going to change the way sims constantly switch between emotions (e.g sad but then happy when entering a room and the sad again once leaving).

Two mods to help inspire you of how to improve personality and emotions and why they are good.

1. Have some personality please by polarbearsims.

This mod removes idle chat, and tunes several interactions by having emotions, traits, and relationship bits effect the autonomy of those interactions.

The mods works because sims feel more realistic. Angry sims are more likely to perform mean interactions, and they definitely don’t go from an insult to then just chatting. They still can and will perform friendly interactions autonomously.

2. Meaningful stories by roburky

This mod changes emotions in several ways. First it makes uncomfortable boost other negative emotions like happy (except for in certain situations like really needs to pee). 2nd it makes it harder to change emotions. If a sim has a sad +1 buff then sims need more than a happy +1 buff to counteract (at least happy +2 or +3). This makes emotions more stable. Third it varies the strength of the occasional emotion buffs from traits (between +1- +3). Finally, it makes environmental emotions buffs like nicely affect sims over time and completely removes nicely decorated buffs which make sims happy all the time.

This mod works because it keeps sims in a more stable emotion without the constant changing. Having uncomfortable boost other negative emotions allows them to be seen more in the game, as they are more rare than uncomfortable. Finally removing all the happy buffs from decorated homes allows sims to live in style while still showing more full ranges of emotions.

Thanks for listening,

Peterskywalker

True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm not going to repeat all my ideas here because I have an entire thread full of them in my signature.

However, I felt very disappointed with Island Living Expansion when they introduced merfolk and Excluded Underwater Gameplay. It felt like Half the expansion pack was missing, and it would make a difference for me if there was a patch that added underwater lots to the game. I want my merfolk sims to have a place in the game like the other occults, and I want my human sims to be able to scuba dive and actually see what my sim sees.

The way merfolk drift underwater while back floating or sleeping is a nice touch, but it isn't the underwater gameplay I'm looking for.

51159963999_5ba61420ec_h.jpg

51144702144_2058cbc595_h.jpg

As a marine biologist, merfolk can perform the snorkel interaction to survey marine life, but the interaction doesn't feel right because the game specifically excludes the snorkel interaction for merfolk. It would be nice if merfolk had their own unique interaction around shallow reefs. Not being able to climb a ladder makes sense, but it felt very cheap to be Unable to do Anything Unique around these Shallow water buoys as Merfolk. For Deep water buoys, I expected to be able to follow my sim to where they go like in Sims 3.

51153879015_6e8705a9e7_k.jpg

For relaxing and sitting at the pool edge, I think a toggle for the merform would be a nice option so that I don't have to have cheats enabled. I like being able to get achievements, but as things are now, I almost always have to have cheats enabled to do everything I want to do.

50291385027_9c7202ccdd_k.jpg

Sitting at the waters edge doing homework, reading, a book, or just sitting at the waters edge in general. Feels unrealistic that sims can't sit at the waters edge. I would like to have the option to use my merfolk's merform at the water's edge.

51102902767_9f902c5345_b.jpg

51145029715_f67dc98f85_b.jpg

51097173500_5a5b8b6ba6_b.jpg

Merfolk will autonomously sleep in a pool, but on waterfront lots or near swimmable water in world, they do not autonomously sleep in water. It's a little awkward creating a pool for merfolk that won't sleep in the ocean... Also! the game doesn't let you build in-ground pools on waterfront lots because there is no basement... So, the house looks weird too. It would be nice if time sped up while merfolk slept in the water.

50960266718_f1bde0a6aa_k.jpg

I wish children and toddlers had a merform. I've actually had multiple instances where the illusion created by game play was broken, and I know that occult children not being able to engage in various occult actions can feel disruptive. Vampire children can't consume anything made with plasma fruit (Effectively you have to make two separate meals to meat your occult families needs.) Merfolk children can't sleep in the water (this forces very complicated builds to meet the needs that are satisfied differently because merfolk don't actually need human beds to sleep.) Both Merfolk Toddlers and Children can do enough interactions in the water to justify a Merform. I don't expect the full range of mermadic magic even if Island Elemental Children from the same pack can literally summon giant fireballs from the sky...

51154172767_4bd3ea461c_b.jpg

Toddler Neck Deep in the water and a different Toddler getting carried by his mermaid mother in the water (By the way, there is one lot on Mua Pel'Am that is exceptionally buggy with toddlers because they don't leave the lot the way they enter it and it is completely surrounded by water that toddlers can't go in and can't be carried through. This is unique to that one lot.

50692714701_0082ba657e_b.jpg

50691969278_b0be2b0992_b.jpg

50889584222_617f3d6237_c.jpg

50201459766_e51ccd48c5_z.jpg

I mean, I don't understand why the merchildren simply can't have the tail in the water, the ability to sleep in the water, the ability to go underwater with their family, and the ability to swim faster and effectively use less energy. If merchildren could do this, then merfolk would almost be able to have actual underwater residential lots. The only thing they can't do in the water is eat and use the bathroom without embarrassing moodlets.

50224683968_ef8c097986_k.jpg

Merfolk reveal some interesting bugs and pack incompatibilities. There are some strange things you can't do in the water and other things that use the exact same animation that you can do in the water. Merfolk can practice their speech without leaving the water using some wall mirrors, but they can't practice debate or acting. So, they never really revisited the merfolk when University and Get Famous came out.

50302913223_c4b410f280_k.jpg

50302913583_951f32656b_k.jpg

Also, merfolk can't look at posters from the water...

When enough merfolk gather on a lot, there are some other oddities. I'm not exactly trying to report a bug, because a lot of these things are just lag, but I think merfolk need to be revisited. They went to great lengths to depict Polynesian Culture accurately, but they sorta gave merfolk the short end of the trident. They could have done so much more with the merfolk and didn't. And, the gameplay leads me to believe they never went back to change this.

The product of in game lag...

51143926551_df43ecd2c1_k.jpg

51144702394_2e3b7c9d30_k.jpg

Celebrities walking on water while more than 8 merfolk appeared on the lot.

51144701099_883c0d0059_b.jpg

Children and Toddlers did have the appearance of a merform, but I was extremely unhappy that they hid it instead of actually giving them a merform.

50306560602_927a87e3b6_k.jpg

I know that not everything will be done as quickly as I'd hope it would, and I understand that this isn't a wish list. I'm not reporting bugs because some of these things aren't real problems for me and rarely ever happen. I'm just saying that merfolk and many other existing occults Need updates. I know a few people would probably be happy if updates were made. I'm sharing so many screenshots, so you can see what I'm trying to say, and I honestly wouldn't believe me if I didn't actually see some of this.

Edit was to fix a typo.
  • PatrickClasterPatrickClaster Posts: 25 Member
    Can we expect more community created packs like Laundry Day or Nifty Knitting? Maybe this time though we could decide about gamepack or expansion pack?

Also I want to ask about these two stuffpacks - why didn't you include ironing in Laundry Day? When you compare Laundry Day to Paranormal, Laundry Day has less content - ironing would be definitely not extra content. Same for Nifty Knitting - you had in same survey about knitting also cross stitching I believe - why didn't you include this very similar activity in same pack? Same could be said about sewing as well.
    Will you possibly update these stuffpacks and even some older ones, so they match stuffpack like Paranormal?

Question about kits - why are they more expensive in some countries than in USA? Why are they priced so much (kit is 5 dollars, stuffpack 10 dollars), even though they contain a third of the content that is in stuffpacks. Shouldn't kit cost three dollars instead? Or will you be adding more content in kits so they match more to the pricing?

Vegeterian trait shouldn't be trait. Please, change it to lifestyle choice. As someone who is pescetarian, I do not consider my diet as my trait. It is kinda offensive to consider it as a trait.
  • Sarsen929Sarsen929 Posts: 6 New Member
    What would you say the aspirations system in the sims 4 improves upon previous games? What were the intended gameplay benefits when creating it, and what has surprised you (in good or bad ways) about how it currently affects gameplay?
    Do you feel the needs system is properly tuned? It's certainly "easier" than previous games. Was that intentional? If so, why?
  • siirysiirsiirysiir Posts: 6 New Member
    Forgot this point in my first post, so here goes:
    Do you have any plans on providing any improvement on the randomly generated townies? Like just filtering for no accessories, using the premade styles for outfits, trying to pair skin colours and hair colours a bit more sensibly? There are too many grey skinned redheads with Sulani names, looking like absolute freaks wearing all the accessories at once roaming the neighbourhoods, we all know this. (most City living weirdos look pretty decent compared to some of these) Please, I just can't with them. Especially when they barge into my home to cook up some herbal remedies. Please let us know that you have something planned to fix townie generation!
    The Sims games are historically so popular because of the sandbox nature of the game. Each person can do different things while playing. However, in watching the popular sims 4 youtubers, it seems that the sims 4 is best suited to CAS, Build/Buy, and challenges started by 1 single young adult sim. In the past, I've heard statistics that single young adult sims are the most created and played sims. Why do you think that is?
    What is missing from the game that the sims team is most passionate about including? Are your must-haves completed already, or are there items that you feel the game would be incomplete without if development ended today?
  • EvieRose269EvieRose269 Posts: 10 New Member
    Q1. Will we ever get a base game memory system update?
    Q2. Will you do another community voted stuff pack?
    Q3. When will the trailer for the next sims 4 pack drop?
    Q4. Will you be releasing a roadmap for the release of packs and kits for the rest of the year?
    Q5. Will we be getting improved babies in 2021?
    Q6. Is it possible to get more inside looks into pack development? - these were really interesting with nifty knitting
    Q7. Will create a style in CAS return? Having to repeat makeup and outfits multiple times is really frustrating.
    Q8. Will previous occults such as werewolves and fairies ever return to the game?
    Q9. We filled out a survey a while back about pack improvements - will we see the results of this survey any time soon?
    Q10. How do you decide which sim gurus work on which projects? It would be really fascinating to hear more about the process of designing packs and team behind it.
    Q11. Will we get more styles of bunkbeds? Even if this is just for all base game beds, but it would be great to get bunkbed options for all pack beds too.
    Q12. Will we get any direct feedback from these forum posts?
    Thank you for all your hard work!
    With lifestyles and sentiments, we've begun to see sims develop individual personalities and deep relationships with other sims. What more is coming down the pipeline related to that?
  • linnkognitolinnkognito Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello!

Since a lot of people already have given awesome gameplay related feedback, I'm going to mainly focus on... should we call it interaction design and simplification when it comes to using CAS, build mode etc. I find that CAS and build mode has the potential to become way easier and faster to use!

So, what I would like to see with...

[b]PUBLIC LOTS:[/b]
    [list]
    [*] The ability to have a split lot type. For example, a lot that is both a café AND a park.

[*] For all bars, food carts etc on public lots to be staffed automatically without me having to pay to hire staff. Sometimes I build a club with multiple bars. Or I want some food carts in my park.
    [/list]

[b]BUILD MODE:[/b]
    [list]
    [*] I would like to be able to tag, favorite and sort items manually and then search for them.

[*] Improve the catalog search function so that I don't have to type in the exact name of the item, but rather what the object actually is.

[*] Let me lock in my search filters. Sometimes I want to build with only one pack and it's frustrating to constantly have to turn it back on after cloning thing, for example.

[*] Don't allow custom content to show up when I filter my search to base game only, or give me both options (base game ONLY w/o mods & base game w/ BG compatible mods as two different check boxes).

[*] Let me expand and/or reshape the catalogue window.

[*] Let me apply wall trims manually, as I would with walls or fences. They don't need to be indoors just because i removed some flooring around a set of stairs.

[*] Enable changing the light color of lamps in build mode.
    [/list]

[b]CAS[/b]

[list]
    [*] THIS ONE I FIND IMPORTANT:
    Let me copy all my edits to every outfit choice!!! Kind of how you can apply the vampires look to their dark form but with clothing styles, make up, accessories etc. It's annoying to reapply the same blush seven times, I just want to copy paste.

[*] Let me have more than two rows/columns, or resize them through drag-n-drop . And as with build mode, let me sort, favorite and tag items.[/list]

Thank you for working so hard on making this awesome game even better!
    I really appreciate this opportunity to leave feedback and open up discussions.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Why do male Sims always get so few CAS assets compared to female Sims? In Snowy Escape there were three men's hairs, but I had to keep scrolling to see all the women's hairs! Likewise, there's been a grand total of eight beards added in the six years since launch.

We still don't have sideburns, so surely it's not a lack of ideas that's the problem.
    wJbomAo.png
  • EvieRose269EvieRose269 Posts: 10 New Member
    Can we get an update for gender neutral pronouns and allowing a sim to transition from their birth gender to their true gender without cheats?
    Sharing the ideas I've come up with is the best way I can think of giving feedback. I think underwater lots and occult forms for children are things that could be done without an issue. Sometimes I like realism, and other times, I like a little bit of fantasy and fiction. But in the end, the ultimate problem I find is the absence of content, especially with occults. I don't want rabbit holes. I want an experience I can have with my sims.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    If sims 5 is a single player game with the best features of 2, 3 and 4 you're gonna sell like 🧁 :)
  • Hamilton4Hamilton4 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hiya :)

The biggest thing I would love to see (and you probably hear this a lot) is more in-depth babies. I love family gameplay but with the current babies it feels like they aren't part of the family and just a object you keep in the house till you age it up. I would love for babies to be able to go out to lots with their family and not be left behind or be taken on walks in a pram. Even the ability to move a baby from one crib to another so you can move the baby into a different room would be great.

Also, I would love to be able to change the occults of pre-existing sims in CAS. When I start a game I use a saved sim so I dont have to make a new one each time but when I want to play with witches or vampires it can be a bit of a pain to copy every feature onto a new sim.

Finally, it would be great for teens to be more like teens and not mini adults. For example, sneaking out, throwing eggs at houses, prom etc. My favourite part of sims is the family gameplay but toddlers and child are the only life stages that make sense and once aged to a teen it is almost like they are an adult.

Thank you! :)
    In my gameplay, it seems that any sims could just as easily date any other sims. No preferences or personality differences (beyond the occasional yet unreliably effective buff) seem to deter from or attract sims to each other. Was this intentional?
  • TheonlyTinaTheonlyTina Posts: 1 New Member
    Good afternoon

Since the last update,
    1) I am unable to access the gallery from the home screen.
    2) I would like to delete some of my saved files and for some reason, I cannot. There is no delete option and it looks broken when I open 'LOAD GAME'.

Gameplay
    1) But the dust is acting up again
    2) Maids and gardeners need to do more actual work.
    3) Going to school should actually help with skill gain
    4) Random sims walking into my sims house is not okay
    5) Sims should press wash and dry on the washing machine and dryer when they load them with clothes instead of walking away.
    6) Sims are stopping in the middle of doing something to vacuum!
    7) Old sims should know they are too old to be doing strenuous exercises!
    8) Can the sims actually get some personality :s
  • PlumbobiPlumbobi Posts: 95 Member
    Honestly, I just want to send a little love to The Sims Team <3 I mean, there will always be ways that the game can be better obviously, but having been a player since the original "The Sims", the platform has come a long, long way! And is honestly still much more representative of a variety of different people/cultures/genders/sexualities than many of the other games on the market. And while yes, there are things I would like to see improved, I also acknowledge that The Sims Team can't do everything. Unfortunately, they aren't superheroes. And I've seen quite some harsh comments in here towards them, so I did want to take a second and throw a little love their way <3

Now, that being said...there is an issue of my sims constantly making food that I'd like to address ;)
  • SB88SB88 Posts: 1 New Member
    How do you plan to use kits in the future to expand game play?

Is there any news about The Sims 5 you’d be willing to share?

Are you planning on adding any more traits and aspirations to The Sims 4?

How much more content are you planning to make for The Sims 4?

Thanks for answering!
    Hello Sims Team!

Another way to build upon the diversity of the game is to add more LGBTQ+ representation. As a person in that community myself, I have always valued the inclusivity of the Sims franchise, all the way from the days of TS2 up until today. The gender options update was a HUGE milestone for TS4, but there are some areas of improvement. The team made all the clothing choices available for all body frames, however, many of these options look distorted, giving the appearance of body characteristics that aren't there. For example, putting many of the dresses on masculine framed sims makes them look like they have breasts even when they do not. I think it would be nice to go back and retexture some of these items, but I think its more important that moving forward, new content is given this thought and reviewed on both frames to make sure it looks presentable. Furthermore, gender-neutral pronouns and language would be an ideal addition to TS4. Many people are now out as nonbinary (including myself!) and feel limited by the binary choices of gender in the Sims. Many games still have this issue, but I have high expectations for TS4 as a life simulator to be leading in this area. I understand that translation can be a big barrier in making a change like this, but with thoughtful collaboration with members of other cultures and native speakers of other languages, I believe TS4 can do its best to offer more gender neutral language in the game for its nonbinary players.

Lastly, I have a note on the cross-compatibility of packs. I have all packs (except Batuu) and I always get excited when there is cross-compatibility, but unfortunately this doesnt happen often. I would love to see more holiday traditions involving activities from Spa Day or from Eco Lifestyle. Things of this nature really bring The Sims 4 to life and make buying multiple packs really worthwhile. Going forward, it would be nice to see more effort put into the cross-compatibility of DLC.

Thank you so much for your time and energy. I really appreciate the extra care gone into hearing the voices of the TS4 community as of late, and believe that you are all doing your best to improve upon this game. I hope you all have a marvelous day!

Sul Sul,
    Rhyan

I wanted to bump this.

I also wanted to say that some of their binary language is not nonbinary. The Term "Mermaid" might be a perfect example of a binary term used as nonbinary. Mermaid is female and MerMAN is male. MerFOLK or MerPERSON is gender neutral. The prefix "Mer" is a modifier in the construction of the word. The literal meaning of "Mermaid" with the prefix separated from the root is "Maiden of the Sea." Mermen are not Maidens of the Sea. It just isn't accurate. Merfolk have a very heavy gender binary tied into the related language so you simply can't represent anything male or non-binary by using the term "Mermaid" for the entire occult race. Not to mention how many LGBTQ+ people are actually a part of a global mercommunity. I mean, I'm a part of the mercommunity, and even if I'm not LGBTQ+ myself, I still recognize the value of using accurate language and preferred pronouns. I do have respect for them and want to be a good ally.

• CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    Where do I start.....
    -the ability to choose a sim's handedness
    -toddlers be seen at parks and other appropriate venues
    -more variety of playground equipment (including stuff for toddlers)
    -a calendar that you can edit on the world map that includes birthdays for unplayed sims (if you have aging turned off)
    -update aliens(please it's long overdue)
    -control over the sims that spawn in your world
    -top-down view of gallery lots (it's really annoying not seeing everything)
    -gender preference in cas (or lack thereof)
    -no binary options
    -start from map instead of cas
    -emotions not completely dictating their actions
    -sims not being mean to loved ones simply because they have the mean and/or evil trait
    -celebrities not being everywhere you go (yes I'm looking at you Judith Ward)
    -more pet stuff and traits
    some cat breeds love to swim
    also I don't understand why cat can't use the bathroom outside
    -be able to see a doctor when you're sick
    -minor injuries that can be treated
    -pets running away less and make posting and have someone return your pet when you've posted an alert
    -have vehicles at least for people coming/going and services
    I could go on forever, but I'm gonna end it here. I'm sure there will be plenty of people posting here.
  • Jerrydog9Jerrydog9 Posts: 1 New Member
    I was hoping later you could add more cc into the actual game as you did for The Sim's 21st anniversary. I use those items ALL THE TIME and normally when I build/use cas I don't use cc because not everyone has access to it. I was also wondering that since you now have kits, are you considering adding some of the less item-heavy stuff packs such as Luxury Party? Finally, I do not want a Sims 5. I spent money on Sims 4 and I would like it to reach its full potential before even thinking about another one. People want more Family gameplay and features such as cars and more inclusion. Please think about this if you read it. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Also next time you do this, be more specific about what we can and can't say because a lot of people think you only want praise and no criticism and I have to agree with that.
  • PipMenacePipMenace Posts: 2 New Member
    Okay, so, the question is what we want the Sims 411 to cover, right? I like the concept of it - getting a peak at what's in progress/coming, a little behind the scenes info... but so far it hasn't really been that. I understand being cautious - you seem not to want to mention anything you aren't very sure you can have ready for the very next update - but because of that caution it ends up not being useful or very interesting. I understand you want to manage expectations, but you can do that by just saying straight out that something won't be in the next update, or probably won't be, or maybe won't be... whatever level it is. Tell us what you're working on that's not coming yet - what's hard, what's on hold, what's being debated. Too little information can be just as harmful to expectations.

For example, when bunk beds launched, you just said "here's bunk beds, here's what they support so far" and that was it. There was (it seemed to me) an overly harsh backlash about what they didn't do, later only partially lightened by people analyzing the code and announcing that it looked like there was prep for more. I posted several comments defending the programmer's rule of launch as soon as it is functional and better than what currently exists, then continue making improvements. As a web builder, I know this is true. But you never actually said that yourselves, never said specifically what the challenge was you were working on, and worse... there was no mention in the next update. Is it still in progress? Tell us it's still in progress. Give us a time estimate, or say launch date unknown... tell us what the challenge is. Or is it on hold? Tell us why; what are you working on instead, and when will you get back to bunk beds to make the loft options more useful? Or hold a competition - see which modder can solve whatever challenge you've come across. It gets the community involved, acknowledges skill, and still allows you to spend time on something else.
  • bdwaybdway Posts: 1 New Member
    I have had the Sims 4 for years, I have a few complaints here and there but nothing too big in general, I love this game so much but there is a major problem that I've noticed. It's like one pack is messing up the other, I mean the dine out pack and the eco lifestyle pack, in the eco life style pack there's the sharing is caring feature, it gets on my nerves when sims invite themselves into my house and steal my couch, sink, and piano but that's not the problem. Sims come into my restaurants and take the tables and chairs even when there's sims sitting at them and food on them. They just walk on in steal essential items to a business and leave, this even happens when the sharing is caring in not in action.

Family interactions need to be stepped up. My sim got married and had his first son, when his mother came over to meet her first grandchild, she ignored him and walked right past him. It's so hard for the family relationships to feel meaningful. There's also literally no toddlers in the game to have the toddler playdates with, I have to create my own and then I run the risk of them growing up by the time I can invite them over. But one thing I think you guys did really well is the phone call that my sims get, the one that can impact your sim and other sims, I enjoy those a lot it was a good idea, well done! Funny story that sim I was talking about before with the son and everything, well he was on his honeymoon when he got a call from his mother (an elder) and she asked his opinion on her having another child. I had him say it wasn't a good idea because she was an elder and him and his brother were adults. Well the mother got insulted and said now she WILL have one and she kept to her word and did... and her and her husband ended up dying a few days later and my sim had to take on the responsibility of raising his infant brother along with his infant son. I would also like you to think about doing something about children like making their looks slowly age, when you look at a kid there no difference between a 7 year old and a 12 year old, just a thought. Also babies, nothing more needs to be said lol I'm sure others have already written essays on it.

Please try to fix or at least think about this, thank you! Keep up the hard work! P.S. my crockpot doesn't work
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top