March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Occult VS Family, Which Do You Think Should Get New Packs?

Comments

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    We need both. Normally I play realistic family rotational gameplay. However I occasionally play occults and also family occults and both are really lacking in the game. Sims 4 is catered towards young adults sims and we don’t have enough gameplay for kids, teens and occult sims.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I'm a realistic family player, so I'm always going to want more packs for family play. I don't feel like they add enough family content. Instead, they tend to focus on single YA sim content. They very rarely add content for kids/teens/toddlers.

I'm perfectly fine with adding occult packs. In fact, I've started dabbling into supernatural content recently, and I don't hate it as much as I thought I would.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I don't actually play with families that much so occult is more appealing to me. Just give the occult unique traits and traits that allow me torment Sims and I'd be instantly be sold. I'd even welcome expansions to occults who need it such as aliens and mermaids.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited April 2021
    This year, I'm planning on buying all things centered on family gameplay and whatever else appeals to me. Before TS4 ends, I hope I can get my hands on a farming pack and a high school pack.

Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    Realm of magic was my favourite pack even though I agree with those who were disappointed by how “style over substance” it was. I would kill for a proper world like the one through the glimmerbrook portal, but I know they’re unlikely to expand on the witchy aspects of the game any more than they have.

As for occult vs family pack - I’m 50/50. Whatever they come out with, I just hope it’s worth the money.
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I'm more of an occult player, and I don't really play with families much at all (I find it really hard to play with anything older than YA and find the kids/toddlers annoying) so my vote is defintely for occult. And I think we're defintely long overdue for a proper occult pack introducing a new life state anyway.

Last year was dedicated primarily to realistic play, which contributed greatly to family play. Whether or not people liked the gameplay is a different story, but my point is... it was still offered I feel like people are dismissing all the family play we do have in the game just because it's not Generations. There are so many things families can do together in the Sims, especially with packs like Seasons and Snowy Escape. Although, really almost every pack has something that contributes to family play, like Cats & Dogs since pets are very much part of the family, or the festivals in City Living, or the fact that families can now vacation in any world. And so much more.

Occult gameplay on the other hand is still far more lacking than family play. With the exception of Paranormal Stuff, the last time we got any sort of occult gameplay was with Realm of Magic in 2019. And unless you want to count Mermaids, the last time before that was in 2017 with Vampires. Occult players are lucky if we get content once every two years. Sure occults can do most of the same things that normal sims can, but the difference is those things don't contribute to playing as an occult. Whereas those same activities can contribute to playing as family. You can take almost any pack and find something that can expand on family gameplay. I see a lot of comments about toddlers and kids being overlooked in terms of interactions, which I'm not arguing with. But occults often get overlooked as well.

Even take Bust the Dust for example. Kids can vacuum and parents can vacuum their toddlers, but Spellcasters can't "Scrubaroo" the dust. And in Nifty Knitting, toddlers and children can both play on rocking chairs, elders have an age-exclusive "reminisce" feature, and with the "teach to knit" interaction, you can easily have grandparents teach their grandchildren to knit if you'd like. Especially since children are able to build the knitting skill. But yet again, I can't think of any occult-exclusive interactions that Spellcasters or Vampires have.

I'm not saying more family gameplay isn't needed, because it defintely is but as it stands, there is still more family gameplay than occult gameplay, even though there's "less" family centered packs. I've seen some people say that occult players want all packs tailored to them, but the truth is... we don't, and you don't see us throwing fit whenever something non-occult is announced, but it often seems like whenever there's the slightest hint that an upcoming pack could be occult related, (and nothing has been confirmed yet) people lose their minds and act like family play is under attack. And I think a lot of us are finally just getting fed up with that attitude and are starting to fight back.

And 2021 is technically an occult year anyway, so I don't know why people are getting angry or acting surprised. Unless Maxis decides to switch things up with their schedules, 2022 will probably mainly consist of realistic packs again, which will undoubtedly offer more family gameplay. And not only that, but Generations was literally mentioned by the Gurus during the last livestream, which means they know there's a desire for it and implies (to me anyway) that they are working on it, or at the very least have plans to do so.

But if it's going to be an EP like people want it to be, it's going to take time. Would you rather have to wait on a pack and it be of better quality (at least as far as TS4 packs go?) Or would you rather they rush it out so you can "finally" have that pack, and it be lacking? Just because Generations may or may not be the "next" pack, doesn't mean it's not going to come ever just that you have to wait, like everyone else who has been waiting on a specific theme. Besides, if indeed there are "many years to come" of Sims 4, then chances are Generations will come at some point.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I would like a family pack more
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I lean heavily on the family side but i would be fine for occult for the supernatural players. I always find items I can use no matter what comes. However I would really really not like to have zombies again unless they provide a means to turn them off completely.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Realm of magic was my favourite pack even though I agree with those who were disappointed by how “style over substance” it was. I would kill for a proper world like the one through the glimmerbrook portal, but I know they’re unlikely to expand on the witchy aspects of the game any more than they have.

As for occult vs family pack - I’m 50/50. Whatever they come out with, I just hope it’s worth the money.

I really wish they went back and improved/expanded witches.

For one it really bothers me that witches can't make the vampire drinks in potion form, in their cauldrons using the same ingredients, if you have the Vampires GP and know enough vampire lore. No vampiric potion either. Another thing that really bothers me is how you can get really high level spell books from the vendors in the realm. The pack has no sense of balance when it comes to acquiring spells and leveling up if you make use of the the Sages and vendors, it feels like they just hand you stuff willy-nilly. I also feel as though different spells should give different levels of charge. That would balance them much more.

There's not enough magic objects too, and they should have added new unique spells to the voodoo doll that only witches can use. Familiars are also mostly aesthetics unless you use an actual pet. Can't even talk to them....

Anyway...I like playing with both OP though Maxis hasn't done a very good job with occults since Vampires imo. I just think there needs to be a balance. Family gameplay should take priority though as the Sims is a lifesim first, and TS4 is really lacking in family gameplay as it currently is.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I like to play supernatural families so I'm interested in both.

I would really like a fleshed out occult this year. It's been a while since we had an occult lifestate. Paranormal adds interesting gameplay (so I have heard, don't own it) but it is not the same as playing with an occult lifestate. Same goes for batuu. The last proper occult lifestate was spellcasters.

But I also like family gameplay so I am hoping for a generations like pack this year as well. A realistic pack with ownable hotels is also on my whish list. So I will also enjoy those.

Why does the title have to be about occults vs family when both can be combined in one save. Family play does is not equal realism. You can play families with or without an occult element. To be honest the whole occult vs family realism discussion makes me sad. This discussion devides the sims community needlessly. Both have their own appeal and right to exist.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 715 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I would really like a fleshed out occult this year. It's been a while since we had an occult lifestate. Paranormal adds interesting gameplay (so I have heard, don't own it) but it is not the same as playing with an occult lifestate. Same goes for batuu. The last proper occult lifestate was spellcasters.

But I also like family gameplay so I am hoping for a generations like pack this year as well. A realistic pack with ownable hotels is also on my whish list. So I will also enjoy those.

Why does the title have to be about occults vs family when both can be combined in one save. Family play does is not equal realism. You can play families with or without an occult element. To be honest the whole occult vs family realism discussion makes me sad. This discussion devides the sims community needlessly. Both have their own appeal and right to exist.

The title was based on an off topic discussion in another thread. I made this thread so that that thread would stop being derailed.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    @Sigzy05 very valid points. Another thing that bothered me - basically I worked to make one of my sims like “the most powerful spell caster in the land”, but then when he battled randomers who weren’t anywhere near as powerful as him, they could still beat him like 50% of the time :/ that makes no sense!
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    greydonn wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »

The title was based on an off topic discussion in another thread. I made this thread so that that thread would stop being derailed.

Thanks for clarifying. I still believe occult gameplay and family gameplay are not mutually exclusive. but now the title makes a bit more sense, maybe because I stumbled across the other thread as well. :wink:
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I wish theyd make a farming pack more than anything. But ill always choose realism, I dont play occults. I wish they wouldnt even do occults but its profitable for them so they will.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think after all these years we really need another dedicated family pack that enhances gameplay for the regular kind of life simulation in general. I do see how occults are not as well made as they were in previous iterations of TS. And I want for the occult fans to get what they wish for. But us family players didn't get anything since 2017. Not every realistic kind of gameplay is family gameplay. Some aspects of previous realistic packs were indeed usable for family gameplay, but it's not what people who love to play families are looking for.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    This year, I'm planning on buying all things centered on family gameplay and whatever else appeals to me. Before TS4 ends, I hope I can get my hands on a farming pack and a high school pack.

I hope so too, there are only three things left that I really want for this game, and that is cars, high schools and farms.
  • ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    I'm all for having more of both BUT...
    • They need to "fix" the occult options they have in the game currently. Aliens and Mermaids need some sort of skill tree system similar to the vampires and the spell casters. Especially the aliens. Nothing will irritate folks more if Fairies and Werewolves are put in the game and they feel incomplete or poorly designed. Folks have seen what is possible with the Spellcasters and Vampires and likely have even higher expectations than their usually overly high expectation. (Forgive the snark here but having Werewolves and Fairies in the game will make your acne go away, cure your gout, or mend your receding hairline. Don't believe what that guy selling those tonics off the back of his covered wagon told you.)
    • As for "family oriented stuff": I am indifferent about a lot of the family stuff as far as game play but I always find as many nice building objects coming along with the packs like parenthood, my first pet, laundry day, cool kitchen and kids room stuff as I have with things from the luxury party, spa day, movie hangout, vintage glamour, and Moschino packs. That said, I would love to see some of the stuff from the Generations expansion in Sims 3 come back and be updated with new activities and items. The Boarding School, After School Activities, and Field Trips features making a return interest me in particular. The most important thing though is, as I said with the occult stuff above, that the content needs to feel well-designed and complete. As much as I like Island Living, it feels like an incomplete pack. Honestly, it feels like it should have been a game pack instead of an expansion in a lot of ways (and not just because of the mermaids feeling incomplete). And personally, I don't want to see any more expansions feel that way. Mind you, there are also other ways to get family activities besides a Generations expansion but I mention it because people have been talking about it a lot. A family outing to an amusement park can be a family activity as well.
    • also... I know I am probably in the minority on this but there are things I would like to more than "occult options" and "family oriented stuff". I would love to see the downloadable worlds from Sims 3 somehow brought into Sims 4. I'd love some medieval content. The lot assignments introduced in Sims 3: World Adventures... heck, several things that were in Sims 3 World Adventures. (For example: Martial Arts, Nectar Making, types of markets). I want a Freelance Investigator / Private Investigator career. I want vineyards and wine making. Blah blah blah. Etc etc. The point is that there's a lot more stuff that some of us would love seeing that isn't specifically related to "occult opitons" or "family oriented stuff".

Sure expressing our needs and wants is fine. But people are really getting offended and angry over this.

One thing I learn that makes the sims community so great is how we all need each other. The builders make my worlds beautiful. The sim creators save me time😅 the family players asking for family stuff gives my occults nice things to do together. The occult players asking for occult things gives me dark adventurous things to add to my game. The mod and cc makers also play their role. We should all work together in a harmonious manner to get what everyone wants.
    We can't get stuck on "who got more and who got it first" it leads to a state of endless regression.
    @Babykittyjade, you nailed it here!
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    greydonn wrote: »
    As the title states, in your opinion is it better that we get a new pack centered around occult gameplay, or a new pack centered around family gameplay? Please keep it civil! <3

Personally, I would prefer the occult option, especially if it's werewolves or faeries, but I wouldn't mind a pack focusing on family activities since most of my play is legacy/generational style.

As much as I love occults and playing just occults in the game I'm not opposed to a new life stage or family gameplay with our sims. It could be both for all I know. Either way, I'll eventually get whatever it is. I would love a playable buildable world for our aliens. I would love to officially have werewolves and faeries in the game. I wouldn't mind having a pack focusing on activities for our babies, tots, kids teens adults and elders either. I want our babies to stop being glorified objects. I want to have moments for our babies to say their first word have their first step graduating from milk to their first foods and so on. I want our kids to jump rope and play tag with each other. I want more for the family because young adults are the focus of the game. Unless your sim is a vampire or immortal they aren't going to be young adults forever. Eventually, they age and we morn them. If it's a new occult I'll get that as a preorder most likely. I'll get something for the family once I see all of your reviews on it.

Whatever it might be I hope it has minimal bugs and issues for us. I'd be happy with an anniversary pack that gives us things like a new world to build in spiral staircases and vaulted ceilings.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ZidienZidien Posts: 11 New Member
    I prefer a realistic style of playing, so I would like something in this direction. But if people want something supernatural or fairy-tale, I won't be angry. However, I'm a little sorry that I don't have the option as in The Sims 3, when I could turn these creatures off in the settings and use other DLC content in the game, because in The Sims 4 it's limited only to: DLC is enabled or off. So even though I like objects from these supernatural DLCs, I don't buy these extensions because of this limitation.

But as I wrote above, if it will not be something I like, I won't be angry, it will make someone else happy. :)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

“Versus”?

Versus shouldn’t exist.
    As much of everything as possible for every play style. That’s how I would like to look at it. I don’t care when or when.
    As long as occult sims are first. 😜

I mean..let’s talk about babies since we’re always talking about babies:

What’s so interesting in carrying around babies unless there’s a good reason to carry ‘em some place?
    Why would you carry a baby anywhere unless you’re trying to protect it from something? Right?

“Oh but Captain from what?” you ask.

Well, I’m glad you ask. From WEREWOLVES little Smootchie Poo.

*lights cigar*

From those darn WEREWOLVES...

• KodaFromSpaceKodaFromSpace Posts: 9 New Member
    I am definitely an occult player, and always welcome new occults with more than open arms (I accidentally made that sound like an innuendo, when it only meant to be exaggeration), and could not care less for farming or anything like it.
    However...
    Generations IS something I am desperate for. I need gameplay for teenagers as they have nothing to do. So whilst, I'm an occult player, I actually want gameplay for teenagers more.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2021
    Not occult and not family. I came to this part of the forum to make a topic about normies vs occults but noticed there are threads all over this section about the topic. I thought it was normies vs occults but now I see even the normies side is split up between family players and other gameplays. :'(

But the reason I wanted to make a topic about normies vs occults is because I'm a bit blown away about the passion of both sides. Why not please everyone and put normie gameplay in occult packs and vice versa?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited April 2021
    Antwerpo wrote: »

But the reason I wanted to make a topic about normies vs occults is because I'm a bit blown away about the passion of both sides. Why not please everyone and put normie gameplay in occult packs and vice versa?

Not an option. Mixing the two will only get us half arsssed normies and half arsssed occults.
    Look at Get to Work & Island Living compared to Vampires. Half arsssed vs more in depth.
    (Am I allowed to say half arsssed? It’s how we speak over here. Otherwise I apologize .)

Anyway Folks just gotta be more patient and do something else in the meantime. A lot of normie players just want to have the occults stuffed in as half arsssed as possible, just to get it over and done with. And then they’ll complain and ask to get the heeel nerfed out of those occults:

“I don’t want the werewolf to eat me sheep.
    They’re ruining me pretty little cabbage garden. Please get rid of the werewolves in MY farm pack.”

That’s right. Occults are the ones to suffer the most. It just doesn’t work. Occults need their own pack. After that we can talk about toggles.

I’m sure everybody will get what they kinda want at some stage. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »

Not an option. Mixing the two will only get us half arsssed normies and half arsssed occults.
    Look at Get to Work & Island Living compared to Vampires. Half arsssed vs more in depth.
    (Am I allowed to say half arsssed? It’s how we speak over here. Otherwise I apologize .)

Anyway Folks just gotta be more patient and do something else in the meantime. A lot of normie players just want to have the occults stuffed in as half arsssed as possible, just to get it over and done with. And then they’ll complain and ask to get the heeel nerfed out of those occults:

“I don’t want the werewolf to eat me sheep.
    They’re ruining me pretty little cabbage garden. Please get rid of the werewolves in MY farm pack.”

That’s right. Occults are the ones to suffer the most. It just doesn’t work. Occults need their own pack. After that we can talk about toggles.

I’m sure everybody will get what they kinda want at some stage. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But that sentiment is based on not being able to provide bug free stuff from the start? I'm new to this communities so I don't know the frequency at which packs are being delivered but let's say they have 2 packs a year. Why not make that a big pack (super expansion packs) Get two themes in there and don't deliver half arsssed stuff. It's just an example on frequency because I don't want people to think I want less packs ;)
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think people should stop turning it into a competition between the two, they release like 5 packs every year, it's pretty easy to get both in. Occult packs aren't "blocking generations" any more than the 30 other packs in the game which aren't generations, but people only seem to have an issue with the occult ones. There are literally 4 packs for occults in the entire game after nearly 7 years, they aren't the problem and I'm just so bored of people blaming occult players for the lack of generations and preaching that people shouldn't be allowed occults because -- playstyle is more important.

Imagine if I started raging at the idea of generations because "fairies are more important", because "you can already have families but not fairies", and it's been 7 years of waiting so my playstyle is obviously more important. It would be ridiculous, because generations fans are not to blame for the lack of fairies and I can appreciate that they've also waited years for the packs they want.

It's not a competition between the two, they can add both. Plus, they basically already confirmed generations so I'm not sure why people are getting so bothered by the possibility of an occult as well...

Ive always found it curious when people say "we need this pack because its more important!" Well what exactly makes one pack "more important" than another pack? Why exactly do we need xyz pack NOW? Why should one pack not exist in favor of another pack? I'd like an answer for curiosity sake, with all personal bias completely set aside.

If someone doesnt like occult packs, that's fine. But I dont see how one pack appearing completely prevents another pack from making an appearance. It makes absolutely no sense to me. :D I know it sucks that a new pack comes out and it isnt what you're hoping for, but it doesnt mean there wont be any pack that is what you're looking for. Me personally, I wasnt crazy about any pack in 2020 until Snowy Escape came out.

Sorry to be bursting some bubbles here but no one's playstyle is "more important" than someone else's playstyle. There shouldnt be like a hierarchy of playstyles with some themes getting priority and other themes getting little to no attention. Who even decides something like that anyway? It's weird as heck.

On topic, though I will always root for more occult shenanigans, I wouldnt say "absolutely not!" to packs focusing more on family life. I raise families both human and occult and I'd be more inclined to play kids for more than an hour if there was more stuff for them to do. (I'd love it occult kids could actually do some occult things)