Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with stairs?

I have stairs in my sims home and there isn't any issue but i took my sim to a gym and they couldn't go upstairs or downstairs. I have used this gym before and no issues at all. nothing is blocking. they couldn't go to the 2nd floor or basement.

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    What I have found that works is to go into build mode, and delete a single section of fencing from the upper level where the top of the stairs go to. When you do this you should see some grey flooring appear. Delete that, and replace the section of fencing you deleted. After doing this I find my sims can once again go upstairs.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Move the stairs or delete them completely. A fence will appear on the landing. Delete the part of the fence where the stairs connect at the top. Delete the flooring if it appeared. Place new stairs. Remember to never use auto-fence/walls when building so you don't run into this problem again. And you will find that the lots created by Maxis have this problem and will need fixing.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    The problem with removing the stairs is that I can't put them back if they are not the plain straight stairs. Sometimes there is not enough room on the property to place and rotate them without deleting the furniture. And by that point, I may as well just bulldoze everything and start over.
    @telemwill - if you can place the plain stairs, place them and then pick the stairs you want and place them over the stairs. They will turn into the new stairs.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    @telemwill - if you can place the plain stairs, place them and then pick the stairs you want and place them over the stairs. They will turn into the new stairs.

Usually they won't fit unless you can rotate them. I probably need to find an empty lot and just practice. I am so bad with stairs. I can place them ok if they haven't been rotated.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    Stairs have been broken since forever and if the recent laundry list is anything to go off then they are not getting fixed anytime soon.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    The problem with removing the stairs is that I can't put them back if they are not the plain straight stairs. Sometimes there is not enough room on the property to place and rotate them without deleting the furniture. And by that point, I may as well just bulldoze everything and start over.

When I run into this problem I usually add a temporary basement room where I can make the stairs into the shape and/or rotation I need, then move them to where they're supposed to go. Afterward I delete the basement room unless I decide to keep it for some reason.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    With how common and old this issue is maybe should just pin this thread [make it sticky ... whatever it is to make it stay at top]
    The cake is a lie
    VeeDub wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »

When I run into this problem I usually add a temporary basement room where I can make the stairs into the shape and/or rotation I need, then move them to where they're supposed to go. Afterward I delete the basement room unless I decide to keep it for some reason.

Well,duh! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely try that.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited April 2021
    Here is the reported bug on Answer HQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/td-p/9716427 It happened with the platform update so open stairs have been broken since November last year.

There are workarounds but be careful because they often involve removing the room that the stairs are connecting to, so you have an area with walls instead. It will look the same but removing rooms in your build could cause issues like roof pieces showing up or other things.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Move the stairs or delete them completely. A fence will appear on the landing. Delete the part of the fence where the stairs connect at the top. Delete the flooring if it appeared. Place new stairs. Remember to never use auto-fence/walls when building so you don't run into this problem again. And you will find that the lots created by Maxis have this problem and will need fixing.

One thing to note of this work-around: the original open area will be considered by the game as “one room” with the landing area, hence making floor deletion a no-go—the game removes flooring on a per-room basis. This will result in your open stairways being covered with plain floor/ceiling.

One thing to note of this work-around: the original open area will be considered by the game as “one room” with the landing area, hence making floor deletion a no-go—the game removes flooring on a per-room basis. This will result in your open stairways being covered with plain floor/ceiling.

I'd have to get in game and check, but I do this all the time. You may have to create a fence around the flooring that is to be removed, without using auto-fencing, but it can be done.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021

I tried this in Chez Llama and it deleted a section of the ceiling and roof. Not being a builder I didn’t know how to fix it so I had no choice but to undo and leave the broken stairs.

Maxis needs to fix this problem. Deleting the stairs and potentially breaking the builds more is not a solution.
    Post edited by Sharonia on