Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Bust The Dust Video Carl's Guide

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't have the pack so I can't confirm fully how I feel about it... but I think I agree with everything he said. I really disliked the idle animations when they did the environment update (the idle animations that makes your sims go "yawn" or "a-ha"). So I would really not like my sims going around and "sniffing?" the floor.

The inspired moodlets and the fact that community lots can get dirty seems like really odd decisions too.

You can apparently also have unclean surroundings, but clean floors.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I agree with everything Carl says. I also think that BtD has potential, i'm actually enjoying that potential as i have changed everything i didn't like (a lot of things) with mods...
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2021
    https://youtu.be/ovXGj-HIYls

Have you had these experiences with the pack/ is it buggy for you? What are your thoughts on the buffs? Are there any tweaks you'd change?
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't mind the idle animations, but I do wish the pack was a bit better integrated with other game systems.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I wish they would stop with the whole "dust bunnies make you mega-rich" thing. For a start, if you do not own JA you will not receive any rare items from that pack.

Also to get a ton of money one needs to constantly spam the dust bunnies and keep them happy. Otherwise you get about enough money to live comfortably in a starter home and if you neglect them, you get nothing.
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I deleted the pack again. I didn't even notice some of these things though like a sim peeing on the floor not registering as the floor being dirty to the kit yet it does to the game lol
    The team rushed this kit out. And now we who paid for it has to wait months for a fix or mod it. 😪

I feel like this game truly needs a difficulty level. I don't want my game to just hand me money without me making an effort to do so.

I'm disappointed.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I just need to find a mod to disable the sparkles.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m really happy with it. I’m not experiencing anything I would consider a bug. It may give more money, but it also adds another layer of difficulty because things get challenging when your house is filthy and you only have a cheap handheld vacuum, or no vacuum at all.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I’m really happy with it. I’m not experiencing anything I would consider a bug. It may give more money, but it also adds another layer of difficulty because things get challenging when your house is filthy and you only have a cheap handheld vacuum, or no vacuum at all.

Most of what Carl talked about isn't a bug just not the greatest game design in the world.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Zero has the mod you're looking for. He has a few more. I use his mod to disable "free bunny money", to take the inspired moodlet out and one that replaces the vacuum for the mop that sims already use to clean the floor (to avoid autonomy problems. My sims only clean when i ask them to clean), and a few more...

So, i do agree with Carl. I have the kit heavily modded. Otherwise i would have disabled it.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited April 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »

@Chazzzy Zero has one on his Patreon, and several others specifically for this kit. ETA: they’re all free to download.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I've been trying to understand why things like that happen when the team develops packs and I can't say for sure but I'm going to assume that maybe they are not organized well.
    It could be they are assigning certain groups of people to develop certain packs and what they do is basically build a pack with just the base game and then never test it in realistic scenarios like everyday gameplay or integration with all DLC available or even consultation with other team members to if a pack being developed at the moment could collide with another pack another group developed.

I cannot explain oversights like these any other way. I just don't think everyone on the team knows what comes with which pack so they can prevent these oversights. This is something I notice a lot in livestreams too, where a team that worked on a pack is presenting the new features and if anyone else that isn't part of that team is asked a question about the pack they are immediately caught off guard. I remember one stream with SimGuruNinja, who is an important member in the Sims 4 team I assume, was asked fairly easy questions about the upcoming pack being presented and he had 0 clue what to say.
    Even members who worked on a pack sometimes seem to only know how to answer questions about the feature of the pack they were involved in and don't know about the other features. At least that's how it's coming across in these streams.

So I think when making packs it could be that everyone just works on their assigned features individually and call it a day without ever testing anything else than their part. So when it all comes together there are these to us pretty obvious oversights.

This thread might be moved to Feedback btw.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Dust still accumulates fast. Maybe I have to start a new save but I won't give up my 6+ years of my save unless there's a work around in placing a new save on my existing file.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I do like the kit generally (more than I expected for something so mundane), but I definitely agree the integration is weird at best with the base game cleaning. Cleaning scorch marks counts for dust cleanliness, I know (because my spectors keep setting everyone on fire), but you should not be able to have clean and unclean floors at the same time. It is just inconsistent.

I actually like the dust bunnies. The constant random money is weird (and I did not experience it), but if the gifts break rags to riches then do not ask for gifts when you are playing rags to riches. I find the relic gifts hilarious and since it takes a lot for me to engage with the vacation system I do not care for, it is an easy way to use more of JA.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I hope all these issues are fixed in this months patch. This concerns me for future gameplay kits that come out.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I disabled it.
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I never interacted with the dust bunnies and continued to get money. I was supposed to be playing a family on a tight budget and it was very annoying to have to keep watching for the random money increase and had to write down how much the household was receiving then subtract it in game.

The game is already easy enough to get money (IMO). I was hoping this kit would bring more difficulty to my game and in fact it did the exact opposite.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I disabled it after what Carl said started happening, except I do not want money from the bunnies. My problem was getting conflicting icons, sparkling clean and filthy at the same time...not acceptable. That and running sweeper maybe twice a day to keep up with the dust/bunnies...not happy as that's the only thing my sims got done. :s

I turned the bunnies back on after devs "fixed" the kit and for the most part sims only have to vacuum every other day with the appearance of an occasional bunny. I don't use the bunnies as most of my sims have too much money to know what to do with as it is. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 56 Member
    A little bit off-topic but...

Honestly I wonder if Carl still has fun playing the sims. I used to love his videos because he (and LGR) were the voice of reason within this overly hyped & happy sims community on youtube. But now his videos are constantly a negative stream of critique. Does critiquing kits/bust the dust really require three videos? I don't know, I feel like his latest videos just show that the game isn't for him anymore and I wonder if he really still has some fun at all. I think he might go the same route as LGR and stop making videos at all. Or at least I think that he should if nothing is sparking joy for him anymore.
    xMyrthe wrote: »
    A little bit off-topic but...

Honestly I wonder if Carl still has fun playing the sims. I used to love his videos because he (and LGR) were the voice of reason within this overly hyped & happy sims community on youtube. But now his videos are constantly a negative stream of critique. Does critiquing kits/bust the dust really require three videos? I don't know, I feel like his latest videos just show that the game isn't for him anymore and I wonder if he really still has some fun at all. I think he might go the same route as LGR and stop making videos at all. Or at least I think that he should if nothing is sparking joy for him anymore.

I think Carl is "fighting" to stay. I can feel how much he loves the sims, just like us. He critiques it, but he also makes suggestions for improvements. He was very positive about the trait's improvements and asked the team to go this route. He just doesn't believe that kits are the answer to what he would like to see improved in the game.
    I personally hope that he stays around. His guides are priceless. But i'm suspicious, cause i'm a fan :)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Four mods customized the kit to my balancing preferrences, but there's one bug I noticed:
    Sims with the Shameless trait cannot complete the Flithy aspiration. It requires inviting a sim into a dirty or very dirty house. I had the worst house possible, but my sim was shameless, so he didn't get embarassed by it in the presense of the visitor (his husband did, however). The aspiration goal never checked. I assume it is somehow tied to the moodlet, same as with Carefree sims and the wedding money timer that is a Tense moodlet.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited April 2021
    Hey there! I merged two threads on the same topic so that this discussion is happening in one place in Game Feedback. :)