Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Choose Rami's Career! [Finished]

VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
Rami Omar-Velaris is growing up, and it's not long before he has to decide some grown-up things. I already know he'll earn a degree, but I haven't yet decided which. First I want to decide what career might be best for him, as that would heavily influence his choices in higher education. Other simmers were so helpful and fun in my last major decision for Rami, so I thought I'd seek your help again. :)

For a bit of extra background that may influence which choices you wish to make (which in turn may have long term influences on Rami's life, including where and how he ends up residing, the kinds of people he might interact with most, and so on), the following may be the most relevant.

Money isn't necessarily a major factor in any of the choices, as the family has considerable funds (2 careers, a small but well-tended garden, and good investments, current amount about 5.4m simoleons). Rami himself already has savings, investments, and a modest trust fund to take over when he ages up; currently these amount to just over 1m simoleons. Somewhat related, Rami will live in Britechester for the duration of his courses, but not on campus; he'll have his own small house (possibly with a friend or two), location depending on which school he chooses. He'll get a more permanent home of his own after he earns his degree (where, I don't yet know).

Rami is very close to both parents, and they've helped a great deal with his education thus far. They've probably influenced him in unknown ways as well. One is a spellcaster with Genius, Bookworm, Self-Assured traits, and he works as a mid-level writer in the Author career. The other is a mid-level programmer in the Tech Guru career, and his traits are Self-Assured, Jealous, and Family-Oriented. Both are well-respected and somewhat well-known (each has 1 star of fame). Rami rolled Self-Assured and Bookworm from their combined traits, and at YA he'll get Vegetarian from a wild-card roll. Per my previous poll he became a spellcaster and has now surpassed his father in rank. He also recently earned his first rank in fame.

Being a bookworm may have helped Rami learn, as his parents have an extensive collection of books, and he loves to read them. The following are things he has learned by autonomous means through independent study and/or practice (with little or no direction from me):

Max skills: Charisma, Comedy, Fitness, Gardening, Logic, Programming (also won Hackathon at his 1st Geekcon), and Violin.
Guitar and Singing are at level 9+
Piano is at level 8+
Video Gaming is at level 7+
Handiness is at level 6+
Rocket Science is at level 5+
Research and Debate is at level 5+
Photography is level 4+
Rami has a number of other skills, but most are either too low to seem significant or weren't autonomously gained.

I'll use the amount of votes received at the time Rami ages up to young adult, at which time the poll will be considered closed. I'll edit this section of the post to update his current aging progress to give an indication of how close things are to being finished. Current: Young Adult. The official count was: Creative 8, Tech/Science 17, Other 5. I'll add a new post with the final results. Many thanks to all who participated! :)
FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
Post edited by VeeDub on

Help Choose Rami's Career! [Finished] 33 votes

Something Creative (feel free to elaborate if you wish)
30%
Strangerthanilovejewel17Glimmer50SailorCetiSunflowergal227CharleyNoel9EnkiSchmidtnetney52DaWaterRat[Deleted User] 10 votes
Something Technical or Scientific (feel free to elaborate if you wish)
51%
Mstybl95KatiardguezDoloresGreySigzy05Karababy52NationalPokedexSheriSim57RedShoe7MonaveilDianesimsGordyRouensimsSimsLady2000tatselkHandelchonkieBookBear 17 votes
Something Else? (feel free to elaborate if you wish)
18%
AunzaWaytoomanyUIDsScobreWolfiumNate_Whiplash1Audoke 6 votes

Comments

• Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Creative sims are always fun to play i feel!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Creative sims are so fun an versatile. With Rami’s makeup, I’d go with something music as a career and something in a technical field as an at home freelance capacity or hobby.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • AudokeAudoke Posts: 4 New Member
    How about choosing something completely different and new? If he will get the vegetarian trait as a YA, perhaps he becomes more interested in cooking as a result (having to inovate to creative more interesting recipes without meat or fish).

Bored with his previous life and wanting a drastic change and a challenge, he decides to follow that interest and pursuit a career in the culinary arts. He could even write a cookbook later on (Bookworm trait), I believe there is an option while you're in the culinary career. He could also own a vegetarian restaurant at some point.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited April 2021
    Having such high programming skill, how about the Engineering career, the one that Branches off to computers? Making robots and selling them could be a good retail business. And I’m assuming he could do other programming that will make him money as well.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited April 2021
    Creative sims are always fun to play i feel!

The creative ones are often my favorites. We'll see how it goes. :)
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    Rami has some high skills on various instruments. I think he should be a musician.
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Creative sims are so fun an versatile. With Rami’s makeup, I’d go with something music as a career and something in a technical field as an at home freelance capacity or hobby.

You both make excellent points. If he ends up going with something creative, this is definitely something I'll keep in mind. :)
    Audoke wrote: »
    How about choosing something completely different and new? If he will get the vegetarian trait as a YA, perhaps he becomes more interested in cooking as a result (having to inovate to creative more interesting recipes without meat or fish).

Bored with his previous life and wanting a drastic change and a challenge, he decides to follow that interest and pursuit a career in the culinary arts. He could even write a cookbook later on (Bookworm trait), I believe there is an option while you're in the culinary career. He could also own a vegetarian restaurant at some point.

Oooh, interesting suggestion. His cooking skills are currently pretty low, but if he should seem to have an interest at some point soonish, I'll keep your suggestion in mind!
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Having such high programming skill, how about the Engineering career, the one that Branches off to computers? Making robots and selling them could be a good retail business. And I’m assuming he could do other programming that will make him money as well.

Hey, now there's a career I haven't tried yet. If he goes in the tech direction, I may indeed give that one a go. :smiley:

Thanks to all for your votes so far, and for the comments so far, too!

• WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Actor, he could be.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    and creative as a hobby, i think woodworking would be nice
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited April 2021
    Complete change of pace. he should into politics, social media or become a Style Influencer. Or join the fuzz
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I like the ideas Audoke proposed but I would think maybe instead for an Eco Engineer or Civil Designer, if you have the Eco Lifestyle expansion.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I think he should quit school altogether and start hanging out at the Solar Flare all day---his daily goal can be to get blasted before 5 pm. He should take Sundays off to get random women pregnant
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I vote Science and Knowledge. I think he's going to be wasting his time at University though. He already has more than enough to be successful at whatever you choose for him to do.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I of course would say supermodel but since that's not an option, I always like my spellcasters to have technical skills, like tech guru because then they are magicians in two ways :D One of my accomplished spellcasters is also doctor which is a great combo.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
    Wolfium wrote: »
    Actor, he could be.

If he ends up going the creative route, that's certainly a possibility. While he was still in child stage I did a career roll just for fun, and Actor was the one that came up. I never intended to use it for real, and his acting skill is low, but who knows... lol
    and creative as a hobby, i think woodworking would be nice

Good idea. If he goes tech/science I'll definitely need to give him some creative outlets (if not for him, for me). :)
    Complete change of pace. he should into politics, social media or become a Style Influencer. Or join the fuzz

Those are some good ones to think about. I've done most of them before, but not all to the top levels. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
    Handel wrote: »
    I like the ideas Audoke proposed but I would think maybe instead for an Eco Engineer or Civil Designer, if you have the Eco Lifestyle expansion.

I don't have EL, but I appreciate the suggestion!
    I think he should quit school altogether and start hanging out at the Solar Flare all day---his daily goal can be to get blasted before 5 pm. He should take Sundays off to get random women pregnant

lol, don't give him any ideas; he might be all too eager to do that. :lol:
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I vote Science and Knowledge. I think he's going to be wasting his time at University though. He already has more than enough to be successful at whatever you choose for him to do.

You make a good point. Honestly I'm sending him to school primarily for my own sake. Rami is the only sim I'm playing in that save, so he needs to have plenty of things to do so that I the player won't burn out. :smiley:
    I of course would say supermodel but since that's not an option, I always like my spellcasters to have technical skills, like tech guru because then they are magicians in two ways :D One of my accomplished spellcasters is also doctor which is a great combo.

Hey, he could be a supermodel on the side, right? lol... Seriously, though, your thoughts make sense. And I haven't had a doctor sim in quite a while. I never topped that career with the only one I had in the past. Hmm...

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to participate so far! I could certainly decide these things on my own, but this way is so much more fun. ;)

• StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    Not sure which degree, maybe robotics, that gives you an advantage in the mechanical engineering career. This career gives you the ability to make exo-suits & the exo-helmet as rewards which seems pretty cool.

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    He sounds like a creative sim as I was reading it I was thinking an author as he could freelance as a student but then saw his skills so maybe a musician in the entertainment career and he could busk for extra money as a student.
  • AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member

Rami seems well on his way to becoming a Super Sim, he adores his sister, has a good family relationship, and is light hearted. So, educate him in Parenting and maybe Psychology (which is mostly mischief iirc and not my favorite); then set about to "save the world." Take in lone, homeless teens, tutor them or just watch them grow, learn and go.
    ~laughs~
    Yeah, I am a Care Bear and I love playing this way. Super Sims can raise a village of semi to well educated sims, and even a couple of their own children, if they have the inclination to do so.

Best wishes

&

~happy simming~
    Starfree wrote: »
    Not sure which degree, maybe robotics, that gives you an advantage in the mechanical engineering career. This career gives you the ability to make exo-suits & the exo-helmet as rewards which seems pretty cool.

I'll add that to my list of tech possibilities if the vote ends up on that side of things. Thanks for the suggestion!
    netney52 wrote: »
    He sounds like a creative sim as I was reading it I was thinking an author as he could freelance as a student but then saw his skills so maybe a musician in the entertainment career and he could busk for extra money as a student.

Something in music would indeed seem a natural fit for him if the vote goes to creative. We'll see! :)
    Aunza wrote: »
    Rami seems well on his way to becoming a Super Sim, he adores his sister, has a good family relationship, and is light hearted. So, educate him in Parenting and maybe Psychology (which is mostly mischief iirc and not my favorite); then set about to "save the world." Take in lone, homeless teens, tutor them or just watch them grow, learn and go.
    ~laughs~
    Yeah, I am a Care Bear and I love playing this way. Super Sims can raise a village of semi to well educated sims, and even a couple of their own children, if they have the inclination to do so.

Best wishes

&

~happy simming~

I don't have Parenthood, but I find your idea interesting. I may try something similar to that for another sim (in another save). Thanks very much for the suggestion! :)

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed so far! To anyone else who may want to and hasn't yet, time is getting short, so I hope you soon catch the moment you need. :) If all goes according to plan, it looks like Rami will probably be aging up on late April 5 or early April 6 (eastern U.S. hours).

Rami's morning before school came with the almost-birthday notice! He still has that school day and the next (sim days, that is) to complete, so there's still a bit of time left to vote, if you want to.

cweu9hR.png
    Apparently growing up is worthy of a hero pose. I rolled dice based on the poll results, and Engineering won the day with 2 out of 3 rolls. Then I rolled for the specific branch to take, and Mechanical Engineer got 2 out of 3. Rami is now enrolled in Foxbury Institute's Physics program for a Distinguished Degree and will attend his first class in a few days. Thank you, everyone. You're the best!

CkEoIiS.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Vampire overlord.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    Vampire overlord.

You're a little late for the count, and also I don't have the Vampires pack. Unique idea, though! :lol:
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Vampire overlord.

You're a little late for the count, and also I don't have the Vampires pack. Unique idea, though! :lol:
    I love that pun. I do like a lot of the work from home jobs. Eco Lifestyle is fun because there is like a bit of a market with it and neat for science and creativity with crafting. It's ok don't need packs to enjoy playing. The Semi-Active jobs are really fun: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Profession

I know some friends enjoy the Style Influencer career with the base game and making really bad looking outfits that other Sims start to follow the trend.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller