Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hypothetical ways for Zodiacs to work in the Sims 4

Okay, so reading over at Sims Wiki

In Sims 1 and 2, they were based on personality. In sims 3 they were a chosen trait added in a patch that primarily was just a system for attraction.

In the Real world, your Zodiac Sign is based on when you're born in both the Greek/Western and Chinese systems (the two systems I'm most familiar with. I know there are others.) The primary differences are the speed of the cycle - roughly monthly for Greek, Yearly for Chinese - and the determination of secondary signs (I'm less familiar with this part, but I think In the Greek tradition it's the position of the various other planets when you were born going down to the hour and minute, and in the Chinese tradition, it's more granular based on your birth month, day and time.)

if they're implementing a Zodiac system in the Sims 4, How would you like them to implement it, and - if different - how do you think they will implement it?

So I think what I'd like to see is a zodiac created specifically for The Sims (i.e. The Cowplant, The Llama, the Gnome, the Freezer Bunny, The Sad Clown, the Alien, or maybe others that require more Sims Lore knowledge than I have) but not 12. Either 5-6 or 8-9 "signs" that cycle through the days of the week but don't match up nicely so that not all sims born on Monday have the same Zodiac trait. And it would be selectable in CAS, obviously, with only born-in-game sims having their zodiac sign based on the day of the week they were born.

A Made Up Zodiac system wouldn't have to have 12 signs - so it wouldn't take two weeks to go through the whole zodiac in my system above. It also would be less likely to offend by getting things "wrong" and less likely to imply that one tradition is more "correct" than others. But it would require them to actually make it up while using an existing Zodiac means they just have to pick what specific elements they're using.

Based on the interfaces seen in the Inside Maxis stream, I do think they could be working on a Zodiac system that at least can be seen on the Calendar. How much it works with the calendar depends on if they're actually bringing it to base game or that was just a quirk of the production build that had the calendar system implemented without Seasons.

Or they were working on something else with the calendar - like School breaks - and Zodiac signs will be chosen the same way as in Sims 3.

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I don't know if they are bringing a zodiac system but if they do I think it would be nice to make it plant based. They could assign seven signs per season (one sign for each day on short season length), and add characteristics based on those plants. If the sign is a rose, the sim will tend to be charismatic, attractive, popular but also be mean if they are crossed. If the sign is an onion the sim will be friendly, good, alwasy welcome, but will smell extra stinky when they need a shower.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'ld like the zodiac signs to influence attraction only. Like A feels atracted by B, C and D but feels repelled by E, F and G... i wouldn't like it to mess with traits...

I like the idea of a made up zodiac (the plants idea is great).
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I really hope if they are bringing back zodiacs it means there is a possible attraction system coming as well. I personally love zodiac signs because I’m a spiritual person so it would be fun to have in game for me regardless. <3
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    They could tie attraction and skill talents to a zodiac. Both are features that do not dictate my sims' life, but if they decide to act in accordance with their zodiac-granted strengths, they have an easier time.

For comparison, in Sims 2 free time, having negative attraction with another sim only makes romancing that one harder. After the first succesful date the neagtive bolt is erased and replaced by a single positive bolt. And all a sim's "one true hobby" (that is predetermined by their personality, so also connected to their star sign) does is making progress in that hobby faster. The sim can still decide to take up a different one, earn the genie lamp and the membership cards to the secret lots.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I'ld like the zodiac signs to influence attraction only. Like A feels atracted by B, C and D but feels repelled by E, F and G... i wouldn't like it to mess with traits...

Maybe not mess with the traits but give them and other interactions an extra boost? Like they could gain charisma points more easily (or with more difficulty), could have special perks available only to them. Attractiveness has to be based on something so if a sim is attracted to a charismatic personality then it helps to gain charisma points more easily.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I mean I personally would prefer they were based off the Greek Zodiac, but that's because I'm super into Astrology and my own zodiac sign describes me very accurately.

But as long as the Sims-verse ones are still loosely based off the Greek Zodiac in terms of personality, I'd be okay with it. Like maybe the Llama is based off Cancer and Sims who are Llamas tend to be more emotional than Sims from other signs, are nurturing and also see a boost to their familial relationships. Or if Cowplants are based off of, say, Aries, those Sims could be a little bit more impulsive and stubborn with a shorter temper. They wouldn't need to mention what the real life counterparts are, just as long as the inspiration is obvious to those who are into astrology.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    texxx78 wrote: »

Maybe not mess with the traits but give them and other interactions an extra boost? Like they could gain charisma points more easily (or with more difficulty), could have special perks available only to them. Attractiveness has to be based on something so if a sim is attracted to a charismatic personality then it helps to gain charisma points more easily.

That sounds nice.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd prefer they just give us personality points and completely leave out the zodiac your day of birth has no effect on your personality or who you are attracted to.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited April 2021
    I hope zodiac signs won't be directly tied to personality or attraction. I hated how in TS1 and 2, I could never make a proper simself with both my real personality and my real zodiac sign, because Virgos had to be extremely neat and extremely introverted at the same time, and while the latter definitely applies to me, I'm anything but neat. I would prefer a system similar to pet breeds: Usually when you pick a breed in CAS, it comes with one or two predetermined traits, but they aren't set in stone. Likewise, when you choose a zodiac sign for your human sims, the game could suggest a base game trait stereotypically associated with that sign (like Family-Oriented for Cancer, Ambitious for Capricorn, etc.), but it's up to you whether you keep it or not.

Another idea that hasn't been explored yet, as far as I know, would be a relation between signs and skills. Leos are said to be very sociable, so they could have a natural Charisma booster, and it stacks with other bonuses that increase skill gain, so if your Leo also has the Quick Learner trait, completes the Social Butterfly child aspiration and reaches the top of the scout career, they will rush through the Charisma skill like nobody else who wasn't born under the same sign. But then again, if you want a Leo with no Charisma skill, you can simply choose not to have them build it. That way, it's just an optional benefit that may or may not influence your other plans, it's there, but not too intrusive.

As for how a sign is determined for a child born in-game, if you don't get to choose it yourself, it could be tied to the days of the week, because both weekdays and zodiac signs are tied to celestial bodies in our solar system. Friday, for example, is the day of Venus, and since Taurus and Libra are both signs of Venus, children born on Fridays could be one or the other. Of course, if they come up with fictional zodiac signs instead of using real ones, they can also make their own astrology system, but honestly, I wouldn't like that. I prefer real zodiac signs like we had in the past.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I think I prefer the real zodiac. Another way to diversify our sims is always welcome. I would also like an attraction system at some point too.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'd prefer the real zodiac signs too, though a side from attraction not sure what much good they'd do. Maybe sims could get the option to read their daily horoscope through the phone/computer and get a moodlet from that?

Or perhaps it could be a random/luck system with one of those "Scorpio: you'll be heavily rewarded today" and if sims with that sign have yet to go to work for the day, they'll get extra simoleons. Or "Gemmini: your love life is about to change" and sims with that sign get extra relationship points when flirting. There would have to be negative ones too. And it would only happen if sims read the horoscope so it would be optional.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'd prefer the real zodiac signs too, though a side from attraction not sure what much good they'd do. Maybe sims could get the option to read their daily horoscope through the phone/computer and get a moodlet from that?

Or perhaps it could be a random/luck system with one of those "Scorpio: you'll be heavily rewarded today" and if sims with that sign have yet to go to work for the day, they'll get extra simoleons. Or "Gemmini: your love life is about to change" and sims with that sign get extra relationship points when flirting. There would have to be negative ones too. And it would only happen if sims read the horoscope so it would be optional.

Same. I prefer real zodiacs so people who make themeselves as sims can give their sim their zodiac.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'm going to request that people please use "Greek Zodiac" over Real-world one in this thread. Or Western Zodiac. I know that's the better-known one, and I know that Zodiac probably isn't the best English word for the Chinese/Eastern system, but there are other "sign" systems out there in the Real World.

Same. I prefer real zodiacs so people who make themeselves as sims can give their sim their zodiac.

Case in point, I know people who identify more with their Chinese Birth Year (Year of the Pig, for example) than with their Western Astrological sign. But I highly doubt that they'd include both.
  • Lilacsky22Lilacsky22 Posts: 43 Member
    I don't know but in sims 3 if you went on a date with someone and it went well, the person still would end up saying something like" Time for me to go, you are clearly too( ). Fill in the gaps with random personalities, but I don't think it had anything to do with that,(personalities) it had to do with their signs clashing. I honestly think it would be a fun thing to bring to the game and keep it simple and go with western and the 12 signs since we can all choose from our birthdays, I think anything more than that would be more complex system, I am not opposed to new forms of it but just saying.

One thing different they could introduce is numerology, however that would be another complex system. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to put your birthday in and your number is drawn. Numbers clash as well, I'm sorry I do this for a living so I am all for it!!! ahaha. I'm a numerologist and psychic reader irl. But I guess that is why I love having the zodiac in the game.

Another cool thing they could do is bring back fortune tellers, I would love it!!! But over all I liked picking my zodiac from former games, it seemed to bring some realism to the game even if it all was cliche and stereotyping.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i'd probably enjoy the real life zodiacs. although, having some plant based or even animal based zodiacs would be cool. we definetely should have an attraction system for instance Leo and Pisces hit it off right away but a Leo and a Libra don't. i also agree with the point of a skill boost for instance leo having a charisma skill boost because they are socialable.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'm going to request that people please use "Greek Zodiac" over Real-world one in this thread. Or Western Zodiac. I know that's the better-known one, and I know that Zodiac probably isn't the best English word for the Chinese/Eastern system, but there are other "sign" systems out there in the Real World.

Case in point, I know people who identify more with their Chinese Birth Year (Year of the Pig, for example) than with their Western Astrological sign. But I highly doubt that they'd include both.

I hope they include both and let us use both at the same time cause i factor both in my life lol I'm a Sagittarius in western zodiac, and a fire rabbit in eastern lol
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I so wish Sims 4 CAS had the Zodiac signs. I've always loved giving my sims in Sims 3 a complete sim personality. My Fairies & Werewolves in Sims 3 always had the Gemini sign & my favorite female sims had the Aquarius sign.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited April 2021
    Reading through the comments I think some of you are thinking too much about either/ or.
    The Sims 4 should be about ALL.

So here’s what I think:

We need a proper attraction system first and foremost.

This attraction system could work similar to the club system. As long as the foundation of such a system is solid enough, it will be very easy to add our own “zodiac”. I can imagine a mix and match of the calendar and club system:

• Be offered enough thumbnail icons that could represent whatever popular zodiac is out there, PLUS sim related icons such as Freezer bunnies, Llamas, Gnomes, Unicorns etc.
    • An Option to name the zodiac signs ourselves & add descriptions.
    • An Option to customize compatibility with traits/ personality / lifestyle, favorites etc.

There is no reason to force an existing zodiac system or sim zodiac onto us in this iteration. We’re all too different. Plus it’s much more fun to be able create our own! My Unicorn, Gemini & Goat are perfectly compatible. ( or not).

In this case the so called “zodiac” system Is the new attraction system.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I am not a fan of adding zodiac signs into the game, as it's something I am avoiding in real life, since I hate steretypes forced upon me based on the time of my birth. If they do, I hope that there will be a way to disable them. I would much rather have an attraction system based on likes and dislikes that players will be able to pick for their sims.
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    I am not a fan of adding zodiac signs into the game, as it's something I am avoiding in real life, since I hate steretypes forced upon me based on the time of my birth. If they do, I hope that there will be a way to disable them. I would much rather have an attraction system based on likes and dislikes that players will be able to pick for their sims.

I agree so much!

I absolutely love this idea. :heart:
    Lilacsky22 wrote: »
    I don't know but in sims 3 if you went on a date with someone and it went well, the person still would end up saying something like" Time for me to go, you are clearly too( ). Fill in the gaps with random personalities, but I don't think it had anything to do with that,(personalities) it had to do with their signs clashing. I honestly think it would be a fun thing to bring to the game and keep it simple and go with western and the 12 signs since we can all choose from our birthdays, I think anything more than that would be more complex system, I am not opposed to new forms of it but just saying.

One thing different they could introduce is numerology, however that would be another complex system. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to put your birthday in and your number is drawn. Numbers clash as well, I'm sorry I do this for a living so I am all for it!!! ahaha. I'm a numerologist and psychic reader irl. But I guess that is why I love having the zodiac in the game.

Another cool thing they could do is bring back fortune tellers, I would love it!!! But over all I liked picking my zodiac from former games, it seemed to bring some realism to the game even if it all was cliche and stereotyping.

Oh my goodness, yes please! I love all of these ideas and I would love if we got a pack of some sort focused on this kind of stuff.

I'm super into numerology, tarot/oracle reading, and astrology in real life too. For me, it corresponds to and is part of my spiritual beliefs.

DaWaterRat wrote: »

It would be really cool if they included both so that those who do identify with the Chinese Birth Year could use that. But for me, my Western Astrological sign (Cancer) fits me far more accurately than my Chinese Birth Year (Ox.) Actually, I can't really identify with my Chinese Birth Year much at all.

Another thing I would love is if Sims would go really in depth, and our Sims could get all three of their Western Astrological Signs (Sun, Moon, and Rising) or even The Nodes as well. But I highly doubt they would go into that much depth, so I'd be good with just getting the Sun sign.
    edited April 2021
    Reading through the comments I think some of you are thinking too much about either/ or.
    The Sims 4 should be about ALL.

So here’s what I think:

We need a proper attraction system first and foremost.

This attraction system could work similar to the club system. As long as the foundation of such a system is solid enough, it will be very easy to add our own “zodiac”. I can imagine a mix and match of the calendar and club system:

• Be offered enough thumbnail icons that could represent whatever popular zodiac is out there, PLUS sim related icons such as Freezer bunnies, Llamas, Gnomes, Unicorns etc.
    • An Option to name the zodiac signs ourselves & add descriptions.
    • An Option to customize compatibility with traits/ personality / lifestyle, favorites etc.

There is no reason to force an existing zodiac system or sim zodiac onto us in this iteration. We’re all too different. Plus it’s much more fun to be able create our own! My Unicorn, Gemini & Goat are perfectly compatible. ( or not).

In this case the so called “zodiac” system Is the new attraction system.

This actually isn't a bad idea at all, and I think it could work.