Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco living intrusive NAPS and footprint

In your game, if you turn off NAPS and eco footprint is eco living still intrusive on gameplay? And are sunrays still appearing across worlds with footprint off
Is there a way to just use the cas bb and gameplay objects and ignore the rest :cold_sweat:

*disclaimer love going green irl :smiley: *

Comments

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes and no.. So if you start a new game with those options turned off, then you should be fine. It’s tricky with saves that already have those effects. I had to use mods to “fix” saves that already were seeing those effects, but I can use pack items with little/no issue when starting a new one. Just be sure to turn them off immediately and it shouldn’t be noticeable in your worlds.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes because I find the “voting is now open/closed” notifications terribly obnoxious.
  • br00kie1br00kie1 Posts: 119 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Yes and no.. So if you start a new game with those options turned off, then you should be fine. It’s tricky with saves that already have those effects. I had to use mods to “fix” saves that already were seeing those effects, but I can use pack items with little/no issue when starting a new one. Just be sure to turn them off immediately and it shouldn’t be noticeable in your worlds.

ok thank you so if starting an old save that's not your current one, with it all turned off from the get go, and still see things /effects then that's a bug? what mods are you using to resolve saves? i don't use mods but not opposed to it if its the only work around
    br00kie1 wrote: »

ok thank you so if starting an old save that's not your current one, with it all turned off from the get go, and still see things /effects then that's a bug? what mods are you using to resolve saves? i don't use mods but not opposed to it if its the only work around
    Yes, I have a save that’s 4+ years old, and started with those features off, anything I’ve noticed has been reported as a bug (it’s nothing game breaking anyway). I use a bunch of mods for mine like “we don’t wear bags” and SwiperNoSwiping” to get rid of interactions I don’t want (in saves that have NAPs turned on) those are by magneticsouth. I also use one from Simvasion “eco interactions fix”.
  • br00kie1br00kie1 Posts: 119 Member
    Excellent thank you, good to hear about your 4yr save working, i have one special save from when TS4 launched, I'll give that a go :) and test the mods tsym

Yes, I have a save that’s 4+ years old, and started with those features off, anything I’ve noticed has been reported as a bug (it’s nothing game breaking anyway). I use a bunch of mods for mine like “we don’t wear bags” and SwiperNoSwiping” to get rid of interactions I don’t want (in saves that have NAPs turned on) those are by magneticsouth. I also use one from Simvasion “eco interactions fix”.

Excellent thank you, good to hear about your 4yr save working, i have one special save from when TS4 launched, I'll give that a go :) and test the mods tsym

No problem, happy to help a bit! :)
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    In my game, I have NAPs on and eco footprint is also on. Figuring out which NAPs benefit you and getting things green actually adding some challenge and complexity to the game. And the result is well worth it. Can't beat that view:

FXpCgUM.png
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @ArcherDK do you have any tips for achieving that please?
    edited April 2021
    @elanorbreton

Yes. I can offer a few ideas that might help you get to this stage.

1) The eco-balance meter works as a scale and can be a bit unintuitive to read. It fills up from CENTER, not from sides. Once eco balance shifts toward particular type, the corresponding part of the meter will start to fill up. Pale Green will become vivid green from the center and vice versa.

2) To shift your neighborhood to specific Eco balance you only need to get the eco meter to START filling up in specific direction. It doesn't have to fill up completely. Instead, it simply takes some time for game too register the Ecological change.

3) Every single lot in the neighborhood affect eco balance in that neighborhood. Having just one green lot is not enough. Every lot having overall positive eco-balance will bring better results.

4) Construction materials MATTER. Getting rid of all Industrial type materials on any lot in neighborhood will switch it's specific eco balance to Green.

5) Every lot has its own state of Eco-Balance. You may notice that most lots count as neutral, but one or two now and then count as Green or Industrial. This means that they impact is EXTREME in that one direction. You don't NEED to have Green lots on the neighborhood to shift eco-balance, but that certainly makes it happen sooner.

6) Neutral is an approximation. There is no such thing as perfectly neutral ecobalance. Instead it simply means that impact is not significant enough to classify lot as something else.

Now onto ways to shift the scales in direction you want.

1) Take time to visit every lot in build mode and review their construction. For example, Wolfsbane Manor walls in Forgotten Hollow are made of industrial material. Replacing that material with something Green or Neutral will improve things already.

2) Many a lot in this game have nooks and crannies that you don't really see or visit. Examples being areas under stairs or small empty "Rooms" in construction design. Take time to fill the walls and floors of these rooms with Eco friendly materials to shift eco balance in green direction.

3) Most decorative plant life adds to green ecobalance. Plant a couple of trees on each lot. Really :-)

4) Other lots won't change without your help. Take time to visit every lot on the hood you want to change in build mode and edit them a bit with Eco friendly materials. It will all add up. Trust me.

5) Eco friendly materials and other stuff are not ugly. Take a look around and I'm SURE you will be bale to find something that fits the decor of your room. ESPECAILLY floors and doors.

6) You don't need to have eco friendly power and water sources, but having a few won't hurt. Consider a few solar panels and wind traps.

7) Big misconception to be dispelled - your house don't HAVE to be made with all eco friendly materials. There is a LOT of freedom in creativity available to you. But more eco-friendly materials you have, faster the transition will happen. It is up to you to decide if you want baby steps or giant strides. Also - there are materials from NOT Eco pack that have green eco-balance. A lot of stuff from Sulani for example is actually green.

8) Eco balance won't stay that way by itself. It has to be maintained by continued presence of green materials.

9) Handiness is your friend. Even without Eco-parts and upgrades there are some upgrades that DO affect eco balance a bit. Make use of Handiness.

That should cover it more or less. I have probably repeated myself a couple of times but I know that people have difficulty shifting eco-balance to required state.

In case you are wondering - this is my house in Forgotten Hollow. Not even a single exterior part has eco-friendly material in it and many rooms are built with neutral materials. But by following these guidelines I have typed above it actually counts as Green lot. Yes I do make a lot of use from Green power sources, but this is because otherwise this house costs a fortune to maintain.

SBeRA8g.png
    Post edited by ArcherDK on
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Thank you so much for taking the time to put all this here <3@ArcherDK
    edited April 2021
    @elanorbreton
    I've completely forgotten NAPs, I apologize.

To begin we have to understand what is a NAP. IT is essentially a community chosen plan for quote-unquote "Betterment of living". Following NAPs will give Sims more Influence and doing opposite activities will incur a fine from Repomen.

To start, player has to simply meet new Sims to get influence points that will allow them to vote. More influence - more votes one can cast in favor or particular NAP or in favor of repealing existing NAP.

Now onto NAP's themselves:

1) Back to the Old Days. This one is all about doing thins...old fashioned way Reading books, playing chess and that kind of stuff. Using modern entertainment is what incurs fines. This NAP is not that annoying and may be preferable for some, but I personally pass it by.

2) Clean Energy Production. AS the name implies it is all about clean production. Solar panels, water treatment and wind traps. If you are interested in having these devices this NAP is for you. If not - bypass it as it will cause inspectors to add fines to your bills.

3) Eco-Friendly Appliances. This one is all about upgrading your stuff with Eco parts and in general using Handiness. Surprisingly, this one can be VERY annoying to deal with, but again - handiness is a very useful skill so consider using it. Still I must stress that this NAP can cause some headaches.

4) Foodies Unite! Cooking, cooking cooking. All about cooking. Everyone cooks. Very good NAP to have.

5) Free Love. This one is all about romance and, as the name implies, free love. This can and WILL cause SEVERE headaches for players who are very....monogamic, shall we say. Be very careful if you are using mods like MCCC and certain other mods that enrich relationships as this NAP can cause wave of divorces.

6) Fun-Loving Community. This one is all about Comedy, Mischief and Video Gaming. Very good NAP to have if you are interested in these skills. Another reasonably safe choice.

7) Green Gardening. The single MOST BROKEN NAP in game inn favor of player! Are you into gardening? TAKE TI! TAKE IT AND NEVER LET GO! You will be swimming in influence in no time! Doing ANYTHING related to gardening will give you influence and I mean - ANYTHING. Even talking to plants. Something that Sims do on their own if they are gardeners. You will get fined if you don't do gardening, though. If you are interested in trying out gardening or you are already a gardener - this NAP is for you. TAKE IT!

8) Green Initiatives, This one is unique to Evergreen Harbor and focuses on cleaning up the trash and improving the state of affairs there. I don't know much about it as I don't live in Evergreen Harbor. My apologies.

9) Juiced Community. Just like Foodies Unite!, but for drinks and Mixology. Another very good NAP to have.

10) Modern Development, Yet another one specific to Evergreen Harbor. Again - I don't know much about it.

11) Power Conservation. This one is all about using energy sparingly. Specific amounts of power you can use is dependent on number of Sims in your household. Exceeding this number will incur a fine. Unless you are deliberately living in very power independent household, stay clear of this one.

12) Promote Creative Arts. This NAP is all about creativity. Painting, Photography and others will give you influence. Sims working in specific creativity related careers will gain a bonus to their pay.

13) Rock Your Body (and Mind). Fitness, Wellness and in general taking care of yourself (Showering) will get you influence points. Very solid choice.

14) Roughhousing Encouraged. Mean interactions. If you notice that Sims for some reason are hostile to each other, this is probably why. VERY annoying one.

15) Self-Sufficiency. This NAP is all about Fishing, Gardening, Herbalism and repairing. Ties exceptionally well with Green Gardening.

16) Sharing is Caring. The one that is broken AGAINST the player. Causes Sims to take stuff from everywhere they can. The idea was that Sims take stuff from community lots, but in practice you just get robbed non-stop. This NAP is responsible for making people loathe Eco Living. GET RID OF TI! What? You want to keep it? You need help. No, I won't apologize. You need help.

17) Support the Performing Arts! This is the one that causes people to play violins non stop. Cute for 5 minutes, annoying for the rest of the time. You call, but I would suggest getting rid of it.

18) Tech Support. This one focuses on Programming, Robotics and Rocket Science. Similar to Promote Creative Arts. If you are doing these things - this is for you. Reasonably safe choice.

19) Upcycling Initiative. This one is all about recycling. You will get fined if you don't have a recycler. For specific play styles.

20) Water Conservation. Similar to Power Conservation, but for...water (Who'd thunk). Just like its sibling - this one is for specific players.

21) We Wear Bags. Causes people to wear bags. Why does this exist is beyond me.

That should cover it.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Thanks again @ArcherDK I have been too scared so far to use the NAPS lol.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited April 2021
    @ArcherDK thank you for your detailed descriptions. Especially your building tips are very helpful.
    Would you be willing to upload your edited Forgotten Hollow building to the gallery? I would like to have a closer look at it in my game and possibly use it in my game.
    @Atreya33 My building relies very heavily on CC to look as it does. If you are interested in particular design decisions, I can do screenshot work.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    edited April 2021
    I don't use cc. With multiple packs I don't feel the need to use cc which will only slow down my pc. Thanks for the offer but you don't need to bother to make screenshots. I will first see what I can do with the suggestions you already provided.
    edited April 2021
    @Atreya33

A good example of lot to have these construction nuances I mentioned would be Factory One from WIndenburg. First stop would be its exterior.

8znLohV.png

It's lined up with industrial type brickwork. By replacing this with other material, be is similar or different visually, you will already make a an improvement towards it's eco footprint.

Next stop would be these pillars:

fl3GLpr.png
    oIiauAp.png

As aesthetically pleasing they are, they are just that - small 2x1 rooms that doo precisely nothing. By lining them up with eco-friendly walls and floors on the inside, you will improve lots footprint. Every little bit counts. Every piece of wall and every tile of floor.

Next stop will be stairwell:

RZEit6R.png
    oXzatkY.png

There is n entire wall section and 8 floor tiles that are invisible behind the wall and stairs themselves. You can safely replace them with Eco friendly material and NOTHING will change visually.

Interior walls are also lined up with Industrial Brickwork. There is room for improvement there as well.

Notice these two wardrobes.

3y8dXtB.png

Once again, these are 2 2x1 rooms that can be safely lined up on the inside with eco friendly materials with NOTHING being lost.

Lets take a look outside again:

TvFGHPK.png

There are six small gardens that you can line up with grass floor tiles added with Eco Lifestyle for added eco balance.

The roof is lined up with neutral material. There are eco friendly options. In addition, this roof is an excellent spot for roof mounted wind traps.

Floors on second...floor is lined up with wood. Replacing these tiles with eco-friendly wood will impact Eco balance without changing appearance of the place.

This is the general idea of what I meant. Hope it helps.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    @ArcherDK awesome, thank you. It is easier with visual examples. I can't get into the game for a week or so but will definitely try this once I get back to playing.
    edited April 2021
    @Atreya33
    I certainly do hope you will find results you seek.
    Post edited by ArcherDK on
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Aleia1Aleia1 Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2021
    @ArcherDK Do you play rotationally? If so, do neighbourhoods still keep reverting to neutral every time you switch households or has that bug been fixed now? I've kept eco footprint on in my saves but stopped taking notice or trying to influence it. However, I'd like to turn a couple of neighbourhoods green if it's worth the effort now for a rotational player.

I turned NAPs off in all my saves after one got ruined, and I had to spend ages fixing it. I'm not risking that again. However, I occasionally have a sim use their one vote to introduce a fairly safe NAP for their neighbourhood - like eco appliances, if I've done some upgrades. However, I do have a sim who has eco-upgraded literally everything in his apartment in the arts quarter of SM, and the eco inspector has still failed him two weeks in a row. Anyone know what that is about? The inspection seems to be related to a single lot, but do I need his neighbours to do some upgrades as well for him to pass?
    @Aleia1 Hello! I'm not a roataional player by choice, but rather by need. Story making requires switching households a lot. But back to co footprint. YEs the problem of it resetting was indeed a thing in Sims 4, but only the STATE would reset, not the actual eco balance. Even back then the game would correct itself rather quickly again. As of now this issue has been fixed and state of the world remains consistent. I have taken time to log in as several households and check the state of the world and indeed the state of the world was the same down to that exact indicator state. SO It would seem that it is actually worthwhile for rotational player. Don't quote me on that, though.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Aleia1Aleia1 Posts: 68 Member
    @ArcherDK That's great. I'm going to give it another go then.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    Hey Archer, really great guide to Eco Lifestyle. I have used these tips but I cheat the devil out of the NAPS. I have my favorite four that doesn't cause disruption in my sim's house, I actually like Power Conservation, Eco appliances, Self Sufficiency and either the tech nap or the arts nap I use frequently. I simply click on any mail box in the neighborhood and use the cheat to set what naps I want for that neighborhood, and everyone is happier.

So far I don't have too many problems and I turned Evergreen Harbor to green, all neighborhoods for about 30 sim minutes, lol. Yes it entailed going into every house and upgrading the appliances, you don't have to use eco upgrade parts, you can still make appliances and electronics energy efficient devices. I like using the stored power to refill my fuel cells on everything. The down side is after you've done all this, sometimes it will fluccuate from green to neutral without doing anything. :s
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    @bshag4lv I have picked the once that benefit me the most myself, but I did it with actual gameplay as a sort of challenge. The NAPS you have listed can be good, but they just don't really fit with me. I apologize for any misunderstanding my wording could have caused.

Yes, that does happen now and then. What can I say? Sims 4 :-)
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

@ArcherDK Your explanation of Eco Lifestyle's ecofootprint and NAPs is very clear. Eco Lifestyle is one of my favorite packs. Thank you, :)
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited April 2021
    @ArcherDK What happens to neighborhoods that only have community lots ( gyms, libraries, unowned restaurants etc. ) and no sims actually living there, do they get naps too? Or just neighborhoods where sims live? I have mine set to turn off NPC voting, but I do have a large rotation. And if they do get naps, how do you change them with no sims living there? Thank you in advance. I have just spent the last few weeks trying to set up all lots for echo living. I assume you can reverse lots too.