Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Seasons Calendar might be coming to the base game

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    So, now they are duplicating the Seasons Calandar onto the Base. That's just dum. Two Calandars at the same time.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    That would be fine with me. I have Seasons, but I bought it for... well, seasons. I would expect that they would still not add holidays, seasons, or weather to the base game calendar. However, the base game already has days of the week, and festivals and events based on those days of the week, so I think it would be great for everyone to have access to a better system to manage those days. As others have said, even better if that means that we all get a little extra time management functionality that is currently missing even from Seasons. I, too, would love to see festival scheduling, personalized calendars for different households, and also perhaps information on the calendar about when bills are due/utility shutoff dates.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    In all honesty I am at a point when I am like ok meh with these decisions ea makes. The whole situation with what is going on in the world right now makes me realise I really don’t care there are bigger issues going on right now. I can’t go into why I feel this way as it will de-rail the thread but I know I am meant I feel angry about the calendar situation but I really just don’t care and if it’s added in a patch then great for those who don’t have seasons. For those of us who do it sucks.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    That would be fine with me. I have Seasons, but I bought it for... well, seasons. I would expect that they would still not add holidays, seasons, or weather to the base game calendar. However, the base game already has days of the week, and festivals and events based on those days of the week, so I think it would be great for everyone to have access to a better system to manage those days. As others have said, even better if that means that we all get a little extra time management functionality that is currently missing even from Seasons. I, too, would love to see festival scheduling, personalized calendars for different households, and also perhaps information on the calendar about when bills are due/utility shutoff dates.
    Exactly! It makes sense to add the calendar to the basegame. It's not like they are adding seasons and weather for free.
    He/Him
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    It's for dragon hatching. You need to monitor their egg cycles.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    It may be, as someone said in another thread, that they're adding an atraction system based in zodiac signs. Because in the latest livestream a new trait slot was shown. That slot may be for a zodiac sign that is added automatically to newborns by the game, taking in consideration the season (1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter) in which the baby is born. So the calendar would be needed for that...
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm not bothered about the calendar becoming a basegame addition. I only use it to give a sense of time. I delete all the built-in holidays that pop up (except for the lottery and Christmas) and schedule parties on the day like we had to before Seasons.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Interesting! I wonder if there is a certain reason that has to do with future content like some of you suggested. I personally dont mind. I am this close to uninstalling seasons, and even though i dont use the calendar at least it would still be there if i wanted to utilise it.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I don't really mind them patching in the calendar. It's helpful for tracking birthdays and planning parties. It just wouldn't have the seasons/holidays tied to it. I would very much appreciate them adding a slumber party/sleepover party type now that we have bunk beds. Adding new types of parties/gatherings should be one of their goals. I would especially appreciate them adding a baby shower if they plan to free the babies. It might also be beneficial if they plan to expand on school, weddings, etc.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    The calendar mechanic itself doesn't seem like a problem to be added to the base game. If anything, I hope it will become more useful.

I understand the waste of money gutting pack features can be, especially when DLC content doesn't get updated like it should, but this will not gut Seasons. You'd have to have holidays and weather, too, which I do not see happening.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2021
    I don’t understand the whole “be happy for this because now people who can’t afford the pack can get to enjoy x feature since it’s in the base game” mentality.

If you can’t afford to buy the pack that includes the feature you want, then you shouldn’t have the feature. Period. That’s life. If you want it, you should have to pay for it like everyone else did. So that talking point will never make sense to me.

That being said, I haven’t opened up that calendar in a while. The idea of holidays, creating them, and having sims participate in them lost its charm for me some time ago.
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Adding the base functionality of the calendar to the base game will allow them to add on it with each pack. Maybe we'll be able to see when the festivals occur in the future. I'm all in for that.
    I highly doubt that it means everyone will get holidays or weather for free just because you can see those in the calendar.

If they added festivals to the calendar, I'd be so happy. I hope that includes the IL events. That'd be one mod I could get rid of!
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I can see why some people would think it doesn’t make sense to add the calendar to base game because the packs that utilize it are doing fine both with it and without it.

For example, unless they’re base game or Seasons events, things like the Talent Showcase and Premiere Night are cross-pack integrated into the calendar (someone can correct me if I’m wrong here). Birthdays and work and school days are base game integrated into the calendar. But they still occur without the use of the calendar; the calendar just makes it more convenient to know when they occur.

If the next pack requires the calendar then that pack should have either been designed to work effectively without it or within the infrastructure of the seasons calendar, or give it its own calendar that can then be combined into the seasons calendar. Expansion and integration. That’s what all of these packs should be focusing on. An expansion pack’s job is to expand the game. Seasons expanded the game in its inclusion of a calendar that made it easier to conceptualize time in the game. If seasons isn’t in the game, then this particular role of expansion should just be absent.

Maybe next time around, EA should think a little harder on the things they want to include in the base game before they start cranking out packs and then realize they’ve shot themselves in the foot. They did that with introducing vacations early on and then making every world capable of having vacation lots later on. Suddenly Outdoor Retreat isn’t about the novelty of a vacation, but the novelty of the world and the theme (woodsy cabin-esque) itself. They continue to create foundations early on as if that is a one time thing, then later on make it less special when they change its inherent novelty, causing the one unique foundation to become mere confetti.

This has nothing to do with if players think it’s fine or not fine that they had to pay for something that’s now made available to others who haven’t paid for it. It’s really to do with EA’s poor future planning.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,875 Member
    IF they even do it, I won't mind either.

I still am not sure will it even happen.. after all the "basegame" the gurus are playing in live streams, to me, most likely is not the SAME "base game " we have.. I am actually sure of it that it is not :)

I must of missed where it was said for sure :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @Elluelluellu I had a similar thought. What if it was just a mistake? Usually they play in streams with just the base game and what ever pack they're showcasing installed. Could they have accidentally left Seasons installed and that's the only reason the calendar is showing up? I didn't watch the livestream myself, so I don't know if anything was said for sure whether or not they were only using base game to show off the new patch/update features. If it was indeed mentioned, disregard and nevermind. :)
    @Ellupelluellu and @Karababy52

I didn’t watch the livestream either, however some of the seasons UI is not on the overall UI. The calendar is there, but the weather or seasons information is not. If Seasons were installed, they’d be there.

Unless Seasons was installed and there was a UI glitch. But otherwise, there’s no reason why part of the Seasons UI would be there but not the rest if Seasons were installed.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @NationalPokedex Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I can see why some people would think it doesn’t make sense to add the calendar to base game because the packs that utilize it are doing fine both with it and without it.

For example, unless they’re base game or Seasons events, things like the Talent Showcase and Premiere Night are cross-pack integrated into the calendar (someone can correct me if I’m wrong here). Birthdays and work and school days are base game integrated into the calendar. But they still occur without the use of the calendar; the calendar just makes it more convenient to know when they occur.

If the next pack requires the calendar then that pack should have either been designed to work effectively without it or within the infrastructure of the seasons calendar, or give it its own calendar that can then be combined into the seasons calendar. Expansion and integration. That’s what all of these packs should be focusing on. An expansion pack’s job is to expand the game. Seasons expanded the game in its inclusion of a calendar that made it easier to conceptualize time in the game. If seasons isn’t in the game, then this particular role of expansion should just be absent.

Maybe next time around, EA should think a little harder on the things they want to include in the base game before they start cranking out packs and then realize they’ve shot themselves in the foot. They did that with introducing vacations early on and then making every world capable of having vacation lots later on. Suddenly Outdoor Retreat isn’t about the novelty of a vacation, but the novelty of the world and the theme (woodsy cabin-esque) itself. They continue to create foundations early on as if that is a one time thing, then later on make it less special when they change its inherent novelty, causing the one unique foundation to become mere confetti.

This has nothing to do with if players think it’s fine or not fine that they had to pay for something that’s now made available to others who haven’t paid for it. It’s really to do with EA’s poor future planning.

Yes but in Granite Falls you can't live there you can just vacation there. Same with Selvadarado.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    IF they even do it, I won't mind either.

I still am not sure will it even happen.. after all the "basegame" the gurus are playing in live streams, to me, most likely is not the SAME "base game " we have.. I am actually sure of it that it is not :)

I must of missed where it was said for sure :)

Check the first post.
    edited March 2021

Yes but in Granite Falls you can't live there you can just vacation there. Same with Selvadarado.

That's why I said that the novelty of vacation as a feature has been removed. Now the novelty is the world. If one of Outdoor Retreat's selling points wasn’t the concept of vacation itself, then it would have been added before that pack came out or every other world would have been vacation accessible at that time. But when OR was released, that pack was sold as being the only way to experience a vacation. It was a novelty. Then, Jungle Adventure and Journey to Batuu gave options for this same mechanic in a different dressing. Every destination world, despite all sharing the vacation feature (and thus making this specific feature redundant -- thus requiring players who bought more than one vacation pack to reconcile with its inherent decline in value at that) were still offering that feature as to what made it separate from other packs. If you only have Jungle Adventure, you are still being given the novelty feature of the vacation mechanic. Now that vacations are accessible anywhere, you are not given the novelty of vacation + the new world of Selvadorada. You are being given Selvadorada itself.

Through their choice to make vacations accessible only to designated destination worlds, EA was saying that at one point in time the value of the vacation-specific pack features were spread out across: vacation mechanic as novelty, vacation world as novelty, CAS, and B/B.

Through their choice to make vacations accessible to all worlds, EA is now saying that the value of those same games are spread across: vacation world as novelty, CAS, and B/B. There is no longer a novelty mechanic for vacation.

I understand that people are fine with things being made accessible to those with just the base game. But, it’s a showcase of how EA changes the value of their products while not changing the actual pricing of them. Whether they care or not, a person who buys OR, or JA today is being charged more for a product than the game was initially valued at upon release because they are receiving fewer features for the same price. Again, it’s not about how a player feels about this, but rather the reality of the ethics of EA as a company. I’m just making an observation about this habit they’ve developed.

Does this make sense?
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Lol. What's the point of buying packs if they patch in all the selling points of EP's in for free anyway?

I just can't anymore with their plum practices.

What's the point of buying a movie ticket if they just air the movie for free on tv 3 years later?

EA, simultaneously the greediest company that charges too much, but also how dare they give away content for free that I bought 3 years ago.

Who cares? How does it affect you in any way if a calendar, which is most likely just for schedules and not holidays, was made free 3 years after it was introduced?

I wouldn't care if the entire pack was made free. I bought it 3 years ago, I've more than made my moneys worth since then. Somebody else getting something for free 3 years later had absolutely zero effect on me, and to pretend otherwise is silly.

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited March 2021
    I skip packs because some I don’t like what they feature, so I’d be pretty upset if they included a feature I’m intentionally not adding into my game. That said if calendars are brought to BG,they still wouldn’t be able to create holidays. You need seasons for that. It’s only useful to see whose aging up soon, who has to work and to start a party. If they give them holidays, and the kiddie pool, yeah I’d be like what’s the point of having bought it then.
    Just keep in mind, they’ve given BG things they don’t even need unless they have seasons. BG had outerwear for sims in CAS when they don’t even need it. And toddlers have a swimming outfit when they don’t even have a way to swim unless you have seasons. It doesn’t hurt for them to have these if they can’t even use them
    It almost seems like a money grab move too, “hey you want use these outfits? Buy the pack”
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don’t understand the whole “be happy for this because now people who can’t afford the pack can get to enjoy x feature since it’s in the base game” mentality.

If you can’t afford to buy the pack that includes the feature you want, then you shouldn’t have the feature. Period. That’s life. If you want it, you should have to pay for it like everyone else did. So that talking point will never make sense to me.

That being said, I haven’t opened up that calendar in a while. The idea of holidays, creating them, and having sims participate in them lost its charm for me some time ago.

If you and others want to get upset about it, then go ahead. I'll continue to feel happy about it. It makes sense to add the calendar to the basegame. We'll probably get some updates to it as well. 🤷‍♂️
    He/Him
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I always felt that the Calendar should be a base game feature, there's so many ways it can be expanded upon besides just creating Holidays and scheduling events.

I agree, already in my head I'm thinking they can regulate how often the San Myshuno/Mount Komorebi festivals take place rather than getting a random prompt.

Getting overly hopeful but maybe they could use the calendar to sort out the Sulani Festivals and actually add content to Island Living?