Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Graphics Settings Can I Run?

cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
I ordered a new computer today, a Lenovo IdeaCentre 5i (backordered until Sunday), and specifically wanted something with a decent graphics card, a decent hard drive, and decent RAM; but was more of a workstation than a purpose-built gaming PC, and this was the best I could do for my sub-$1000 (including taxes and warranty) budget. I've mostly had mid-end consumer models with integrated graphics, that, in all honesty, are toasters. I usually run the game on low-ish settings, but am wondering what I can run with these specs.

I'm a little unsure about the 12GB of RAM, however. I keep hearing even for a general-use desktop, 16GB is the recommended minimum. Thinking I may have it upgraded since I tried it myself once and it went badly.

These are the specs given by Lenovo.

2021-03-25.png

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I have that same CPU and GPU on my new desktop and I am pleased with it but yours is an laptop it is an 10th generation I5 as long as you are not into overclocking you should be fine and you should get some nice video enhancement. I normally go for the i7s and the K series but give it an swirl and experiment until you get an feel for it. I had not installed Sims 4 on it yet as I am still adding parts on it. The Laptop you got has some gaming qualities looking at the CPU and the 1660 Super has an little more punch than the vanilla 1660.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • bettycrocketbettycrocket Posts: 99 Member
    @cody6268 With 12 GB of RAM you should be able to run most games on at least medium to high graphics without any problems. To test it in TS4, I always go into build/buy mode and rotate the camera as fast as I can on the highest graphics, then adjust it from there. If the game starts lagging, I reduce the graphics quality to decrease the stress on my computer; otherwise, I boost the graphics up or leave it alone if I found the perfect graphics setting.

Although an i7 cpu is better, an i5 will still get you some processing power as long as you don't overlock as @Goldmoldar said. It looks like you have a decent laptop that can run a good amount of programs. Yes, 16 GB is good for general use, but 12 will definitely work for the Sims.

Now, if you want to install programs that you want to run really fast, such as video games and IDEs, I would recommend that you put those programs on your SSD drive, but be weary that those 256 GB will be used up quickly with large programs like most games.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    @cody6268 With 12 GB of RAM you should be able to run most games on at least medium to high graphics without any problems. To test it in TS4, I always go into build/buy mode and rotate the camera as fast as I can on the highest graphics, then adjust it from there. If the game starts lagging, I reduce the graphics quality to decrease the stress on my computer; otherwise, I boost the graphics up or leave it alone if I found the perfect graphics setting.

Although an i7 cpu is better, an i5 will still get you some processing power as long as you don't overlock as @Goldmoldar said. It looks like you have a decent laptop that can run a good amount of programs. Yes, 16 GB is good for general use, but 12 will definitely work for the Sims.

Now, if you want to install programs that you want to run really fast, such as video games and IDEs, I would recommend that you put those programs on your SSD drive, but be weary that those 256 GB will be used up quickly with large programs like most games.

Yes, the 256 SSDs run out quick as Devs make bigger files that I recommend 1 TB or larger even though some can be pricey the 1 Tbs are coming down in price but the 2 TBs and above still cost an lot.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen