Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Find Those Trait Improvements

Comments

• Options
    melliealetheamelliealethea Posts: 35 Member
    This thread has been super helpful!
    I didn't use goofball much to begin with, but honestly, the update has made me never want to have a goofball sim ever. Can't wait for the next patch to be for balancing the improvements they literally just added... I hope.
    :)
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited March 2021
    Neat trait is more like Nut now. I play with autonomy on and my test sim will rather starve than leave the objects she's constantly cleaning alone. I've tried to make her resume writing her book but she was dropping it and continue cleaning. Also cleaning the toilet rather than using it with red bladder... The most annoying to me was this behavior manifested by all Neat sims in public places. I visited a park lot with one table on it (for wedding cake) and all Neat sims swarmed around it and was constantly cleaning it 'cause this was the only cleanable object on the lot... Also got this:
    68bf93ce75c618c5ea857d89c2bbb5563d396664.pngc30a599187de66e93eafbce0a2ef9ceab41efaf8.jpg
    Guess it's all fun for once or twice, but this trait needs re-balance especially for community spaces. Otherwise this is not neat this is OCD.

Also one of the testing sims is Outgoing + Active + Goofball. And I didn't notice anything new for Active. As Goofball he didn't prank toilets but he was constantly performing mischief jokes with his siblings. As Active he didn't initialized any new interactions, idk probably the trait was tuned down instead so that they didn't do constant sit-ups and push-ups? One thing I didn't see before he autonomously was updating his social media profile. Is this something new? Previously they did it only if I tell them to.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    My sims' neighbor asked to come over and she proceeded to clean the place. Cleaned all dirty dishes and even threw out spoilt food from the fridge and mopped a puddle. I gave her a cookie and sent her home afterwards.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I haven't played for more than 5 minutes since the patch but i like what i'm hearing. I prefer my sims to be themselves than have them all go for 1000th glass of water or to the pc...
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yes, Neat sims are doing it public areas too. I watched one of my unplayed sims clean a grill for about 3 hours at the beach. It is a nice idea to have tweaks done to some traits but like others have said, it's cleaning to the point of obsession. My sims don't even USE the microwave they won't stop cleaning. :D
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2021
    One thing this thread has taught me is that neat sims are popular πŸ˜† I've never used one in all of my years of playing. Especially since my sims always seemed overly clean no matter the trait.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: Β»
    Good to see some autonomy improvements but it seems like not much has changed and what has been added only affects the played sim so townies are all still the same still :s Hoping in the future they'll add a proper trait overhaul focusing on npc sims and townie behaviour rather than just giving more moodlets to played sims.

It just feels like they don't understand what people mean when they say they want trait improvements as every time they improve them it's tied to the emotion system and just "happy +2! this bookworm sim is happy as they're reading!"

I told everyone not much is gonna change as long as we have emotions. πŸ˜†πŸ˜† problem is emotions are the core of the game so they are only going to keep adding to it not take it away at this point. The most we can hope for is an emotional overhaul that changes the way they work?

Still it's nice to see these changes and the fact they are working on things. A major problem with traits were sims not acting accordingly to them like they did in sims 3. But now it might seem spammy for some people πŸ˜‚ i know in ts3 all my childish sim did all day was play play play with anything he could find but I loved it. That's totally meπŸ˜…πŸ˜…
    My ts4 childish sim doesn't really do anything that makes them childish besides play with the dollhouse sometimes.

Hopefully if we even get a generations pack or something similar it opens up more childish things for them to have fun with.

That is so weird, I have a very different experience with Childish Sims in TS4. I always let them keep a toy in their inventory and they start playing with it anywhere (example under the spoiler) if they get the chance and they frequently go to toy chests and take toys and play with the big stuffed animals even when visiting other Sims.
    This is Nathan Landgraab showing off his toy car at a wedding!
    MLKHrRP.jpg

Interesting! I rarely used toy chests maybe that's why. I think it maybe moreso because there is a general lack of kid stuff to do in the first place. Even my kids don't have a nice wide variety of things to do. Hopefully that will change soon!
    Thanks for sharing I'm going to get a chest!
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited March 2021
    Tonight I checked on my household with a hired butler. He has the Neat trait. And he's become a lean, mean cleaning machine! :# He was obsessed with scrubbing the grill. Some of you said you've seen grill cleaning before, but I've never seen the butler do this. Tonight he scoured that grill at least 7 or 8 times. :o

But the dust situation seems to be more balanced now. Dust and bunnies appeared, but not a lot, and it was easier to clean everything.
    y4mtlB5-6AjURNz0OS2NYzi_YtwwLyKSkLt68X8iJnaqslFS2pNCpOGDOd4nGDRmE77eHvUxuLtSyxfNlxvkLbyOQr6QrND2HiuYkuoZnw6LMUjFKlfDRZaJIS7DvGhwFtobquLX4T_8h_JJd1n3I-hgcnNY_1NnLgSza1hM-US41UsqE6bFhV298g066zKYY_d?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    Which gave the butler more time to scrub the grill. :D
    y4my9qDW4oDp0eEKVISJUplSanqGUHs8Odhr__b5-2WAyjl8akaFPAQTUfdvsqFaN600AE8EX6oHokloYvfNKMLPQFjbsOC3ds_XnEt8Nmqx-E_-n4sLZXQiHrFnG1WoYUXX9U2mclxPIsuB4T_FG2mU2xDc1_HV2JhA_joW8NNT7DAgBa43JWQLZBv9VKTW2Bz?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    ... and take care of the twins. Maybe he's now compelled to change dirty diapers and keep babies neat and tidy! ;)
    y4m3LEScoxtmVIeHCg8Qy8u-UBONfv3zcc68M9FPKBVCu6zsYN1i1kgbDB-GZHRdEoXT5IV2uQrf4H-4TLzUwNs5pbevV6fKUnbDDKMQlUd7yhKUCv8ns8WstvDCszRmD23JH2AUlxAmHxgv8GnXnMtKJeNGRYLsWUUEHJ4hKVcxDUgde53-sZJSsS93uFHV--7?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Lazzial wrote: Β»
    I've noticed sims with the playful trait pranking toilets. Isn't this something sims with the deviant aspiration should be doing? Mischief and Playfulness - 2 different things. It's even separated at the Humor and Hijinks festival. Seems like an oversight.

I think Goofball can go both ways. The fact that Mischief and Comedy are separate things at the Humor and Hijinks Festival says nothing about the Goofball trait, in my opinion. Goofball Sims are frequently 'playful', which is the emotion that boosts building the Mischief skill, which is why they go well together.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Good sims can now "help out" other sims. It's the same animation as comforting someone.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I like these trait improvements.
  • Options
    You guys are too cheerful πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ nearly all of my sims are mean evil jealous insane argumentative slobsπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    I'm waiting to hear about jealous sims lol
  • Options
    You guys are too cheerful πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ nearly all of my sims are mean evil jealous insane argumentative slobsπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I have jealous sim, but I didn't notice anything new. His so talks to kids and he didn't throw jealous fit yet. Also his so is goofball and pranks him a lot, so he isn't often tense.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Those new upgraded neat traits need to be used. I wish we could get our Sims jobs as butlers and maids and follow them into other Sims houses and interact with them from their own angle, rather than be a controlled Sim.

You can do this as a Paranormal investigator.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Finvola wrote: Β»
    Yes, Neat sims are doing it public areas too. I watched one of my unplayed sims clean a grill for about 3 hours at the beach. It is a nice idea to have tweaks done to some traits but like others have said, it's cleaning to the point of obsession. My sims don't even USE the microwave they won't stop cleaning. :D

Yes, cleaning to the point of obsession is how it should be, they're neat sims for a reason.

In exchange for cleaning faster and having fun, your sim now freaks out at the tiniest of messes. If you tone that down then they aren't really neat. We have neat and slob, both are supposed to be extremes, not having the trait is the middle ground.

The only tweak I would want to see is not having them clean on community lots.

Trust me, I know some neat people irl, without ocd, and they obsessively clean.

I can understand people being upset about the toilet thing for goofballs, but a simple fix would be to make it so that the toilets do not break, but they do spray the sims making them uncomfortable and leave puddles from the water
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    My roomate sim is a childish person. She plays with toys all the time and there is no toy chest in the house. That must be a new self interaction that childish sims do autonomously. My neat sim cleans all the time and my goofball sims pranks the toilets all the time. Toilet breaking is a bit annoying tbh.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member

I want to know what's new for jealous sims as well. I tried playing a jealous sim for a bit and she did slap her husband after he kissed another sim, but I don't know if that's new/exclusive to the jealous trait or not..? I imagine someone here will know. I haven't played jealous sims that often, nor had any of my sims cheat in a while, so it was hard for me to tell lol.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    My sim flirted autonomously with her roomate. She doesnt have the romantic trait and there is no free love nap. Is that new as well; I also had my sims autonomously try for a baby (they were a couple) and in a dumpster nonetheless. Never seen that before either.
  • Options

I want to know what's new for jealous sims as well. I tried playing a jealous sim for a bit and she did slap her husband after he kissed another sim, but I don't know if that's new/exclusive to the jealous trait or not..? I imagine someone here will know. I haven't played jealous sims that often, nor had any of my sims cheat in a while, so it was hard for me to tell lol.

Jealous sim will always slap if their so just does "flirt" interaction, or is flirted with.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    This is so interesting you guys. We had traits before that affected less on their own, leaving more to the imagination. So some of us imagined our goofballs like sweet clowns, while others imagined them more like pranksters or something else. (My first Sims 4 sim was a goofball because he wanted to be a professional comedian-- I imagined the "goof" like "always has to make a joke out of everything.") Some of us imagined our neat sims like calm tidiers who gently remove whatever does not bring them joy, while others imagined them more obsessive.

Then the traits get overhauled, or just tweaked, and the gameplay got more detailed, and less is up to our imagination. For some of us, the detail matched what was in our imagination already. For others, it went against how we imagined those characters.

I don't have a "good" or "bad" judgment to make here. I just think it shows the tension between gameplay driven by game mechanics, and gameplay driven by imagination in a sandbox. There's a balance between the two in this game and we really notice when the balance changes.

no goofballs were aways suppoes to be pranksters in the base game they would get whims to do pranks and it said because there goofball @mightysprite
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    AmbiAmbi Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="Lazzial;c-17842482"]I've noticed sims with the playful trait pranking toilets. Isn't this something sims with the deviant aspiration should be doing? Mischief and Playfulness - 2 different things. It's even separated at the Humor and Hijinks festival. Seems like an oversight. [/quote]

Given the fact there's no real mischief trait. Only mean and evil I think this is intentional unfortunate. They should have done something with comedy
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    This is so interesting you guys. We had traits before that affected less on their own, leaving more to the imagination. So some of us imagined our goofballs like sweet clowns, while others imagined them more like pranksters or something else. (My first Sims 4 sim was a goofball because he wanted to be a professional comedian-- I imagined the "goof" like "always has to make a joke out of everything.")

For my sims there's some overlap, and the Mean/Goofball combination are definitely the pranksters in the bunch!
    Some of us imagined our neat sims like calm tidiers who gently remove whatever does not bring them joy, while others imagined them more obsessive.

Then the traits get overhauled, or just tweaked, and the gameplay got more detailed, and less is up to our imagination. For some of us, the detail matched what was in our imagination already. For others, it went against how we imagined those characters.

I don't have a "good" or "bad" judgment to make here. I just think it shows the tension between gameplay driven by game mechanics, and gameplay driven by imagination in a sandbox. There's a balance between the two in this game and we really notice when the balance changes.

For my part, I don't like that sims have absolutely no situational awareness. My goofball detective sure loves telling inappropriate jokes, but he should have more brains than to autonomously tell his superior fake bad news. Or the Renegades at college, they can only so often prank their professors, there's a limit to what their patron can smooth over with money. That's not imagination, that's just common sense. If a sim slips once, okay, we aren't perfect, and them get in trouble is exactly storyhook one wants when selecting these traits. The increased autonomy for mean / mischief interactions, however, seems to make the sims look like caricatures (haven't patched, so can only judge from hearsay).

That's why I wish we could turn off autonomy from conversations, too. Players who like their sims act independant could thus enjoy it to the fullest, while those of us who are more concerned over our babies staying in-character could have that, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top