Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thalassophobia!

Is there any way to cure a sim from thalassophobia? I’m playing the with the Kealoha family in Sulani and Lilliana has it. Her house is literally on the ocean and she’s almost always miserable.

Comments

• LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    Have you tried having her swim in the ocean a few times?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Lazzial wrote: »
    Have you tried having her swim in the ocean a few times?

Ooh no. I haven’t does that work? I will give it a try. It’s the first time I’ve had a sim with this phobia.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It seems to have gone away on it’s own. Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to move to another house.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I had a sim like that a few weeks ago. Her thalassophobia got so bad that she refused to do even the most basic things involving water, such as laundry and washing dishes in the sink. Showering still worked for some reason. I don't know where it came from or where it went, but one day it was just gone.

She did go swimming in the ocean a couple of times because that was the only way for her as an elder to keep in shape and build the fitness skill without dying, so exposure therapy might indeed have something to do with it.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I have a squeamish sim with thalassophobia. I assumed he got the thalassophobia from the squeamish trait because he also gets creeped out by puddles made when sinks break down.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    My sim has it too, I like it. There should be more phobias, not just this.
  • TruthGamer96TruthGamer96 Posts: 123 Member
    I did not know this was more than a one-off occurence, delighted to discover it's not. Wish there were more things like this to give Sims depth of character.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    My sim has it too, I like it. There should be more phobias, not just this.

I like the idea too, just not that my sim keeps getting scared even when there is no water around. She keeps staring at the floor/pavement/close table and go "oh! the ocean is so deep". Could we keep it to happening when she's by the ocean? Or at least near water of some kind?

But yes, more phobias and fears in general, as long as they make sense.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I wish they made phobias as traits so we can choose them in cas and have some Sims with permanent phobias.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It's a bug for it to get stuck and happen all the time, even when not by the water. Swimming in the ocean can reset whatever got stuck and solve the problem.
    I'd enjoy the phobia if it was triggered by something like seeing a shark or having a mermaid use powers on you, and then specifically applied to the ocean, but when it just randomly pops up it's just an annoying bug.
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    I had two children who got stuck with the thalassophobia bug. They always had the moodlet, everyday...with no deep water near them. I was so relieved when bienchen made a mod that removes the thalassophobia from my Sims.
    Just in case anyone has the the same problem and would like to use this mod, it's called "Thalassophobiabegone" from bienchens mods under Misc Mods. :)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I wish they made phobias as traits so we can choose them in cas and have some Sims with permanent phobias.

Me too! I've been wanting selectable phobias for a while now, I think they'd be a good upgrade for Sim Fears.
    #Team Occult
  • ChariceZyrus89ChariceZyrus89 Posts: 35 Member
    I find it weird that my sims get that moodlet even in landlocked areas
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    Thanx for increasing my vocabulary! Had no idea what thalassophobia meant! lol :#

I haven't played 4 in a long time so maybe the phobia came as a bug after the addition of a pack with the sea in it. Never had a problem with it in the early days of 4.