Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tarot Mafia Round 5 - Upright Cards (Town) Win!

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
edited March 2021 in Off Topic Chat
What's that? Another round of Tarot Mafia? Will you come join us for the 5th iteration of our little game? Will luck be on your side this time?

EJCgcRE.jpg

Arturo has lived a long but uneventful life. He was never able to fulfill of his big plans, such as finding love and starting a family, or even becoming a master tinkerer. It's as if he spent the last 86 years doing nothing productive with his time. But maybe it's not too late! Arturo is on the verge of discovering the formula for a potion that makes him physically 20 years old again! With death just around the corner, will he finish it in time before his soul is claimed? Arturo, in his anxiety, recently began visiting this fortune teller named Madam Ricksen to find out if his attempts to cheat death will bear fruit.
Rules and Guidelines
  • I can accommodate 8-22 players.
  • Days and nights will last 24 hours in real time.
  • Hammers will not be used in this game.
  • Do not talk about the game in private with other players, unless both of you are already discarded from the game.
  • DON'T EDIT YOUR POSTS
  • When voting, make sure to either bold it or put it in ALL CAPS for me to see it easily. (e.g. Vote: Charlotte or VOTE: ROCKY)
  • Role claiming is allowed. It's up to you to decide if you believe a person's claim or not.
  • Avoid talking about the game during night. You're all supposed to be asleep, after all. Talking off-topic is fine.
  • Discarded players can still post off-topic, but they can't influence the game by offering their opinions.
  • In the case of a tie, the person who has held the most votes the longest will be eliminated.
  • If you have a night action and you don't submit anything, your action will be skipped over for that night. Make sure to turn in your actions early if you expect to be gone for more than a day.
  • Try to be active from time to time. A Mafia game is more fun when all players post on the thread.
How does this work?
Short version

This works just like any other regular Mafia game. You will receive your role, and any power you can use if your role has one. I will use different terms to suit the theme, but the game plays out the same.
  • Upright cards - Town
  • Reversed cards - Mafia
  • Discarded - Eliminated/killed
Long version
Since we're doing Greater style role selection, there will be 3 copies of each card below in the deck. The deck will be shuffled, and each player will be given 3 cards from the deck. Each card has a 62.5% chance of being reversed. Similar to Greater-style games, the player will choose one card to be their alignment, and another to be their role. The third card will be discarded.

The Fool - New beginnings and limitless potential
2-shot Mimic - Twice per game, at night, you can ask to copy another player's power. For that night, you will be able to use the power of another player in the game, drawn at random. If you randomly receive a power from a player with an opposing alignment (e.g. a reversed mimic copies an upright card), you will perform your alignment's version of that power.
Wtqfrnc.png

The Magician - Resourcefulness and Concentration
Powerless
9iWBCZx.png

The Priestess - Intuition and Insight
Upright: 2-shot Cop - Twice per game, at night, you can investigate another player to learn if they're upright or reversed.
Reversed: 2-shot Role Cop - Twice per game, at night, you can investigate another player to learn their card and whether they have any powers.
HhkLW0I.png

The Empress - Fertility and Maternity
Upright: Doctor - At night, you can protect yourself or another player from getting discarded. You can only protect yourself once for the whole game.
Reversed: 1-shot Poisoner - Once per game, at night, you may poison another player. If that player survives the following day, s/he will be discarded the following night and will be announced to have your role and alignment, while that player's true card will be revealed in the private factional chat. Otherwise, the poison backfires and you will be discarded the following night instead.
uLvsniU.png

The Emperor - Structure and Authority
Upright: 2-shot Jailkeeper - Twice per game, at night, you may choose to lock a player in jail. That player's power action, if any, will fail that night, but that player will also be safe from getting discarded.
Reversed: 1-shot Interceptor - Once per game, at night, you may intercept all other power roles who are not in your team, guaranteeing failure for all their actions. This will not prevent the factional kill of any other reversed team(s) in play.
rBvNAN7.png

The Pope - Tradition and Beliefs
Powerless
zz0ATq1.png

The Lovers - Relationships and Choices
Upright: Mason - At the beginning of the game, you will be given a private chat with all the other Upright Lovers cards in the game if there are any. Otherwise, you will be paired with a random Upright player in the game, wherein you can discuss your thoughts during the day or night.
Reversed: 1-shot Mass Redirector - Once per game, at night, you may choose another player in the game. For that given night, all actions performed by the players not in your team will be redirected to that person. This includes any factional kills from other reversed teams.
vyRzg29.png

The Chariot - Willpower and Determination
Upright: 1-shot Bulletproof - Once per game, at night, whenever a player performs an action that would cause you to be discarded, that action will be prevented. You will be informed when this happens.
Reversed: 2-shot roleblocker - Twice per game, at night, you may choose another player. If that player performs any actions for that night, it will fail.
baqFnSI.png

Justice - Truth and Justice
Upright: Innocent Child - Once per game, during the day, the innocent child may PM the host to reveal his/her status as the innocent child. The host will confirm his/her role in the thread.
Reversed: Godfather - You are immune to all investigative and tracking roles
NDzwJR0.png

The Hermit - Introspection and Inner Guidance
Powerless
SxkKGS1.png

The Wheel of Fortune - Luck and Destiny
Powerless
uOitZQu.png

Strength - Strength and Courage
Powerless
RKLDwl1.png

The Hanged Man - Suspension and Sacrifice
Powerless
TNKKcTB.png

Death - Endings and Transformation
1-shot Vigilante - Once per game, at night, you may choose to discard another player. If reversed, you may use your power while another teammate discards another player, allowing you to possibly discard two players in a single night.
oLmfduf.png

Temperance - Balance and Moderation
2-shot Jack-of-all-Trades - You will receive two random powers appropriate to your alignment, each of which can be used once per night in the game. (e.g. 1 investigation and 1 doctor save for an upright Temperance). Unlike the Fool, it's possible that no other players in the game possess the powers that you have. The powers you can receive are restricted to the following for balance reasons:

Upright
  • Cop
  • Doctor
  • Jailkeeper
  • Tracker
Reversed
  • Role Cop
  • Roleblocker
  • Tracker
QvMoxLh.png

The Devil - Bondage and Materialism
Powerless
e70XAIn.png

The Tower - Disaster and Revelation
Powerless
i2UdmQy.png

The Star - Hope and Renewal
2-shot Tracker - Twice per game, at night, you can choose another player and see whether they visited anyone that night.
PlxoptI.png

The Moon - Fear and Anxiety
Powerless
9KLcMpn.png

The Sun - Success and Positivity
Powerless
SjqW0zy.png

Judgment - Judgment and Absolution
1-shot Pollster - Once per game, during the day, you may PM the host the names of two other players. If both are still in play the next day, they will be the only eligible candidates for discarding for that day. If one of them is discarded, you will take that person's place. If both are discarded, you will be discarded as well. You may only use this while more than half of all players are still in play.
zaMZTXw.png

The World - Completion and Integration
Powerless
5xVRdlP.png
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
Post edited by icmnfrsh on

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited March 2021
    Twist: Role Assignment

This year, we'll be taking some inspiration from the Greater Idea games. Here's what will happen:
    - We will have a deck that has three copies of each tarot card. The deck will have three Fools, three Priestesses, and so on. The deck will be shuffled.
    - Every player, once they sign up, will receive three cards from the deck. Each card, when distributed, has a 62.5% chance of being reversed.
    - The player will choose one card to be their role, and one card to be their alignment. The third card will be discarded and revealed at the start of the game.
    - If the player doesn't decide by the start of the game, their choices will be randomized.

For example, if Jonny chooses an Upright Fool card to be his role, and a Reversed Moon Card to be his alignment, he will play as a Reversed Fool. (Or in another words, he's part of the Mafia.)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited March 2021
    Players
    1. Sophia, the Upright Sun, Wins Day 4
    2. DeKay, the Upright Temperance, Wins Day 4
    3. Song, the Reversed Hermit (Set 1), Discarded Day 4
    4. Emily, the Upright Lovers, Wins Day 4
    5. Pandora, the Upright Tower, Discarded Day 3
    6. Nush, the Upright Empress, Wins Day 4
    7. Mouse, the Reversed Judgment (Set 1), Discarded Day 1
    8. Tuti, the Reversed Chariot (Set 2), Discarded Day 2
    9. Keyen, replaced by Pandora, the Upright Justice, Discarded Night 3
    10. Bella, the Reversed Emperor (Set 2), Mod Discarded Day 2 due to inactivity

edited March 2021
    Summary and Links

Round One
    Round Two
    Round Three
    Round Four

Discards
    Sophia: Reversed Pope
    DeKay: Reversed Fool
    Song: Reversed Hanged Man
    Emzy: Reversed Strength
    Pandora: Reversed Sun
    Nush: Upright Tower
    Mouse: Upright Justice
    Tuti: Reversed Emperor
    Keyen: Reversed Pope
    Bella: Upright Strength

Day/Night Links
    Final Vote Counts
    Final Mystical Vote Count Day 1
    DeKay votes Nush
    Pandora votes Song
    Sophia votes Mouse
    Pandora unvotes
    Keyen votes Nush
    Sophia votes Nush

Emily votes Pandora
    Song votes Nush
    DeKay votes Mouse
    Emily votes Mouse

Song votes Pandora
    Mouse votes Tuti
    Song votes Mouse
    Pandora votes Mouse

Mouse - DeKay, Emily, Song, Pandora
    Nush - Keyen, Sophia
    Tuti - Mouse
    Final Mystical Vote Count Day 2
    DeKay votes Pandora
    DeKay votes Sophia
    Keyen votes Bella
    Sophia votes Tuti
    DeKay votes Pandora
    Pandora votes Tuti
    Tuti votes Pandora
    Tuti unvotes
    Keyen votes Tuti
    Song votes Tuti
    Emily votes Tuti
    Tuti votes Pandora
    DeKay votes Tuti

Tuti - Sophia, Pandora, Keyen, Song, Emily, DeKay
    Pandora - Tuti
    Final Mystical Vote Count Day 3
    Pandora votes Song
    DeKay votes Pandora
    Song votes Pandora
    Emily votes Pandora
    Sophia votes Song
    Nush votes Sophia

Pandora - DeKay, Song, Emily
    Song - Pandora, Sophia
    Sophia - Nush
    Final Mystical Vote Count Day 4
    DeKay votes Song
    DeKay unvotes
    Sophia final votes Song
    Emily votes Song
    Emily final votes Song
    Song final votes Sophia
    DeKay final votes Song

Song - Sophia, Emily, DeKay
    Sophia - Song

Night Actions
    Pregame

DeKay gets the Doctor and Tracker powers
    Emily enters a Mason chat with Nush
    Night 1

Song kills Emily
    Nush protects Emily
    DeKay tracks Sophia
    Night 2

Song kills Nush
    Nush protects themselves
    DeKay protects herself
    Night 3

Song kills Keyen/Pandora
    Nush protects DeKay

You may now post. The game will start around 68.5 hours from the time of this posting, at Thursday 9 PM PST/Friday 4 AM GMT/Friday 12 noon GMT+8. Signups will close shortly before then

Also, take note of this year's twist, people! It's experimental, so let's see how it goes. Balance is not guaranteed

• xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    I’ll play. Been a while since I’ve last played mafia.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    Meeeee, let's gooo.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    I will play!
    they/he
  • Pandorrax4Pandorrax4 Posts: 725 Member
    I'll play! :)
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited March 2021
    Boi looks good for 86! He def deserves a chance for a redo in life! Maybe earn some scars and wrinkles and go out with no regrets this time!

And did you say unbalanced and twisted? Put me in, coach!
    Also, do I want to know how you came up with 62.5% chance of reversal? It was alchemy, right?

edited to add: I can almost guarantee I won't be starting the game at midnight my time. Have worked hard to correct my sleep hygiene so if anyone says I'm sus because I'm not there at the start of the game boring everyone to death, here's your sign.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    Oh yeah, I also won't be here for the flips at that time.
    they/he
    xSongx wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I also won't be here for the flips at that time.

Me too.
    image0.gif
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    I’ll play!

62.5%? That is a very precise percentage lol
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Flips will be at 11 pm my time. Depending on the night and what I have been doing I may or may not be there.
  • KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    Sorry, I'll pass. I still really can't commit right now.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

I don’t think I’ll ever be online for the flips cause on weekdays I’ll be at school and on weekends I’ll be sleeping.
    image0.gif
    Come try a Mafia Game!

Aww :( I was looking forward to playing with you but that’s okay.
    image0.gif
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member

Aww :( I was looking forward to playing with you but that’s okay.

Me too chilee, but I really can’t play this seriously like how I’d want to. I’ll just ruin the game. I’d probably be able to commit full time once online school ends in May.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

Boi looks good for 86! He def deserves a chance for a redo in life! Maybe earn some scars and wrinkles and go out with no regrets this time!

And did you say unbalanced and twisted? Put me in, coach!
    Also, do I want to know how you came up with 62.5% chance of reversal? It was alchemy, right?

edited to add: I can almost guarantee I won't be starting the game at midnight my time. Have worked hard to correct my sleep hygiene so if anyone says I'm sus because I'm not there at the start of the game boring everyone to death, here's your sign.

Since you'll be dealt three cards, 0.625 * 0.625 * 0.625 is approximately a 25% chance that you'll get three reversed cards, forcing you to be Mafia. Although hopefully this doesn't put too many scum players in the game. Maybe I'll lower it to 50% :sweat_smile:

Also, don't worry if you're not around when day starts. It's 24 hours, after all.

• tutifruity6644tutifruity6644 Posts: 878 Member
    erm can i join or did i have to play round 1-4
    Screenshot-2022-02-26-at-02-01-45.png
    💛🤍 Tai (iel en français / they/them in english) 💜🖤
    erm can i join or did i have to play round 1-4

Yep, you can join!

thank you mouselline
    thank you mouselline

icmnfish sorry