Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    This thread gets funnier everytime I peek in.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other
    It's become clear to me that what we have now is what we're going to have for quite a long time.

Even the people who are still somewhat optimistic about Paralives seem to have concluded that we won't be seeing it in finished form anytime soon. Apparently not even remotely close to being in alpha. TS5, which probably will happen sometime, still isn't anything more than just some vague statements about things that we're assuming are plans for TS5, but not entirely sure.

So, I'm not sure where this game genre is going, if anywhere.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    I think they've got a long way to go. Possibly years.

From the website:
    Willing to immerse yourself in parallel lives and achieve your wildest dreams?
    We’ve got your back. Paralives offers a rich open world filled with possibilities!
    Focus on your career, love life, friends, family, children or the town’s
    community and well-being!

Looking to explore a town filled with opportunities and venues?
    Put on your best outfit, call some friends and use your bike or car to meet
    them at the park, restaurant, beach, shop, mountain or anywhere, really!

To my knowledge they haven't even begun to work on the 'world'. I think you are right, maybe ten years from now. They haven't even told patrons anything about any careers, to my knowledge they haven't worked on any. There are no actual 'Sims' yet, just some prototype used to tweak and improve textures etc. As far as patrons know, there aren't even any animations between 'Sims' but may be a few animations for the Paramaker. Bike or car? lol....they don't even have a world or animations and or programming of what the Para can do, nothing but some build mode possibilities in a trailer which with that engine you don't actually have to have a 'world' to show off what is possible with the engine.

Yeah, ten years or longer in my opinion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »

From the website:
    We’ve got your back. Paralives offers a rich open world filled with possibilities!

To my knowledge they haven't even begun to work on the 'world'. I think you are right, maybe ten years from now. They haven't even told patrons anything about any careers, to my knowledge they haven't worked on any. There are no actual 'Sims' yet, just some prototype used to tweak and improve textures etc. As far as patrons know, there aren't even any animations between 'Sims' but may be a few animations for the Paramaker. Bike or car? lol....they don't even have a world or animations and or programming of what the Para can do, nothing but some build mode possibilities in a trailer which with that engine you don't actually have to have a 'world' to show off what is possible with the engine.

Speaking of animations. I was very confused when I saw this tweet/thread by the new dev. It sounds like they have just recently started working on procedural animations. March 2021:

Because one year before that tweet above the team* made an AmA on Reddit and Alex said that „procedural animations are working well so far“. If he was telling the truth back then shouldn’t they have much more than some unfinished high-five and sitting animations? May 2020:

FUdaZbM.jpg

Link to the comment:
    https://reddit.com/r/Paralives/comments/gp8cvz/_/frkj69o/?context=1

* Anna (programmer) and Alice (animator) weren‘t on the team back then iirc so this shouldn‘t be understood as an attack against them.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Its been so long since I participated in this poll that I have no idea how I voted, so I'm posting partially to see how I voted and to say that currently, I have no desire for either one. I've heard rumors that Sims 5 is going to be an online based game, and I have no use for a glorified dating app. Paralives just doesn't appeal to me on any level to be honest.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member

From the website:

Sims 4 launched with far less back in 2014. No pools, cars or toddlers. Limited clutter items, few careers to choose from and restricted to your house with one small community garden lot otherwise you get loading screens. The world maps at launch were horrid, dull green with only the selected neighbourhood in colour. 😱😫🤦🏼‍♂️.

I think a two to three years is more likely for Paralives. I think it will be basic to start and grow from there.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

From the website:

Speaking of animations. I was very confused when I saw this tweet/thread by the new dev. It sounds like they have just recently started working on procedural animations. March 2021:

Because one year before that tweet above the team* made an AmA on Reddit and Alex said that „procedural animations are working well so far“. If he was telling the truth back then shouldn’t they have much more than some unfinished high-five and sitting animations? May 2020:

FUdaZbM.jpg

Link to the comment:
    https://reddit.com/r/Paralives/comments/gp8cvz/_/frkj69o/?context=1

* Anna (programmer) and Alice (animator) weren‘t on the team back then iirc so this shouldn‘t be understood as an attack against them.

Yes, I know, because I got those updates concerning how difficult it is to work on that if characters are different heights. And don't forget none of what was told to those who got an update was ever confirmed. But yes, it's odd they would say it was working well, and not even have anyone doing that until March 2021. To my knowledge if I recall correctly they don't or didn't have animators (for actions and interactions etc.) or until more recently. I'm so confused but my guts aren't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

From the website:

Sims 4 launched with far less back in 2014. No pools, cars or toddlers. Limited clutter items, few careers to choose from and restricted to your house with one small community garden lot otherwise you get loading screens. The world maps at launch were horrid, dull green with only the selected neighbourhood in colour. 😱😫🤦🏼‍♂️.

I think a two to three years is more likely for Paralives. I think it will be basic to start and grow from there.

They aren't planning any EPs unless they confirmed that recently, they said no to that several months ago.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Other
    I am suprised they tried to implement hight sliders from the get go, it seems to be a very large obstical animation wise. Just imagen two charcaters of different height sitting down on a chair, shaking hand or giving each other a hug. They have to adjust the animation fro every possible height.
    edited October 2021
    Peral wrote: »
    I am suprised they tried to implement hight sliders from the get go, it seems to be a very large obstical animation wise. Just imagen two charcaters of different height sitting down on a chair, shaking hand or giving each other a hug. They have to adjust the animation fro every possible height.

Not only those type situations but the character's feet and or body goes through the floor etc. and has to be adjusted. Like when we see bad custom content and the Sim's hand or foot goes through a floor or wall or an object etc. The clipping we saw was horrible and will probably take many more months, years to make perfect depending on height of chairs and bodies and other objects etc. let alone interactions between the Parafolk. I say years because I can just imagine how much more work this would require for every new interactive object created for the game as time goes on before Alpha.
  • agentcloneagentclone Posts: 15 Member
    > @Cinebar said:
    > Not only those type situations but the character's feet and or body goes through the floor etc. and has to be adjusted. Like when we see bad custom content and the Sim's hand or foot goes through a floor or wall or an object etc. The clipping we saw was horrible and will probably take many more months, years to make perfect depending on height of chairs and bodies and other objects etc. let alone interactions between the Parafolk. I say years because I can just imagine how much more work this would require for every new interactive object created for the game as time goes on before Alpha.

I think this is where the 'Procedural' animation comes in. If it is kind of a point A connects to point B and it animates to do that then potentially you could just figure out the animations once and avoid a number of the clipping issues (and you could use the same animations for other age groups). Then again I'm not an animator so I can't comment.

Personally for both Paralives and Sims 5 I will reserve judgement until they are done and out. Whether I purchase them or not will likely depend on whether I think I will play them sufficiently/be sufficiently interested to purchase them. Both have potential to go either way really.

I definitely am interested in seeing more around the gameplay in Paralives though, I think that this will be the difficult part, not being a game maker, i would have thought you could put in animations/gameplay and then "prettify" it later. It seems to me that they are going somewhat in the "prettify" it first, then go about developing the game play.
  • WritingAndSimmingWritingAndSimming Posts: 21 Member
    Other
    At the moment I don't think I'd buy TS5, although that may change if they pull through and make it good. If they do absurd prices like with TS4 without any backing behind the price, definitely not.

Paralives seems like it has potential. I'm planning on waiting until reviews come out and for more information, though.
    edited October 2021
    Two comments about the TikTok ad. Does this mean they will make more money per each click on their video? And I thought she said Para leaves like in tree leaves. I didn't know that is how they pronounce their name. Funny, I thought it was lives like there are many lives affected by rain etc. lol Uh, wait and nothing about characters just building....ok, I guess. I'm not looking for a building simulator there are thousands of those type games.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited October 2021
    I plan to buy both.
    You do earn money on TikTok.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/lizfrazierpeck/2020/08/10/5-ways-people-can-make-serious-money-on-tiktok/amp/

Based on their current standings this is what Paralives is earning.

Ha3nFFl.png

icisD6X.png

You can also earn money watching TikTok videos. You earn points which then can be redeemed for cash. 10,000 points earns $1.00.

https://www.distractify.com/p/make-money-watching-tiktok

She did say leaves.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
    edited October 2021
    Thanks for the information simgirl1010. I also read people can make .01-.02 cents per click if they aren't part of any sort of agreement on top of those other things so someone could get an extra $1000 per 100,000 clicks. Then more perks if those clicks (let alone the ways to make very good money) increased. I'm going to judge them just like I do Maxis. We all wonder if Maxis/EA puts that billion they made on TS4 back into the game, and of course they don't, which is sometimes obvious, so the question now for Paralives is are they putting all that cash cow money back into their game? We won't know will we until we see an actual game. Or until someone says, Sorry the game won't be produced after all for yada, yada reasons. Maybe a good idea to get extra cash to help build their game and pay some employees but are they is the question that remains.
    edited October 2021
    Update! (not really just something I spotted) So I went over to Youtube to see if anyone has any more insight on this game than what is being told to patrons..but no they don't either. However, here is something you might find interesting. In one of the gamechangers' video (Simmer Erin) I spotted two (count them) two 'Sims' standing outside the lot while the video was playing showing all the ways to build and or resize picture frames etc.

Now why is that important? because in her video (which I took to be from Paralives showing off build mode etc.) while she discussed any fall updates or news, I spotted 2 fully dressed, completely different 'Sims' standing outside waiting to enter the house. What? :#

Not Sebastian, Not the Maggie character, but two 'Sims' one black, one white, standing outside, like when we are building and our Sims stand outside when we first enter a lot etc. What does this mean? I don't know..but it is interesting don't you think? Two totally different 'Sims' than we have seen in their other video releases. Hmmm... how far are they in this game? However, it struck me this sort of looked awfully familiar. The outside looked a whole lot like TS4 and TS4 Sims to me...(at a distance) The video I'm referring to is called What's Next Paralives Update Fall 2021.. Simmer Erin is just discussing the plans of the team while the video plays. The two 'Sims' can be spotted at exactly 1.16-1.17 minutes into the video. What? Where did they come from? Why are they in a build mode video? What does it all mean, Alfie?

Check it out. Tell me what you think, does the outside of that 'lot' look like TS4 to you? Sort of? And what do you think about being able to actually spot other 'Sims' than the ones we have been shown? What's all this mean? Speculate a way. Because why would two 'Sims' Parafolk be standing outside a house in a development video because that's what they do when we are actually about to enter a lot and play...and it sure looks like TS4 to me in so many ways. (Just less pixels/graphics like set on low).

What do you think of the two characters, you have to be fast to see them if you pause at 1.16-1.17 minutes. That is a Paralives video, right? or not?
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    Update! (not really just something I spotted) So I went over to Youtube to see if anyone has any more insight on this game than what is being told to patrons..but no they don't either. However, here is something you might find interesting. In one of the gamechangers' video (Simmer Erin) I spotted two (count them) two 'Sims' standing outside the lot while the video was playing showing all the ways to build and or resize picture frames etc.

Now why is that important? because in her video (which I took to be from Paralives showing off build mode etc.) while she discussed any fall updates or news, I spotted 2 fully dressed, completely different 'Sims' standing outside waiting to enter the house. What? :#

Not Sebastian, Not the Maggie character, but two 'Sims' one black, one white, standing outside, like when we are building and our Sims stand outside when we first enter a lot etc. What does this mean? I don't know..but it is interesting don't you think? Two totally different 'Sims' than we have seen in their other video releases. Hmmm... how far are they in this game? However, it struck me this sort of looked awfully familiar. The outside looked a whole lot like TS4 and TS4 Sims to me...(at a distance) The video I'm referring to is called What's Next Paralives Update Fall 2021.. Simmer Erin is just discussing the plans of the team while the video plays. The two 'Sims' can be spotted at exactly 1.16-1.17 minutes into the video. What? Where did they come from? Why are they in a build mode video? What does it all mean, Alfie?

Check it out. Tell me what you think, does the outside of that 'lot' look like TS4 to you? Sort of? And what do you think about being able to actually spot other 'Sims' than the ones we have been shown? What's all this mean? Speculate a way. Because why would two 'Sims' Parafolk be standing outside a house in a development video because that's what they do when we are actually about to enter a lot and play...and it sure looks like TS4 to me in so many ways. (Just less pixels/graphics like set on low).

What do you think of the two characters, you have to be fast to see them if you pause at 1.16-1.17 minutes. That is a Paralives video, right? or not?

You’re right they are two new characters standing outside! 👀
    I had to rewatch the build video. The curved walls and resizing of objects was so interesting I forgot the beginning. Especially the customisation of the cushions and pictures.

They said there would a be a town, so more characters must be coming other than Maggie and Sebastian? Are these two extra people shipping with the game? They haven’t appeared since or any news about them or the other Paras.

I really don’t want the Parafolk to be exactly like Sims. I am hoping this is just a beta version and the final product will be different. 🤞

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Other
    I don't really care for Paralives its just meh to me
    and I might also not get ts5 if its meh multiplayer nonsense
    cause I got other sims games to play
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SephardicSephardic Posts: 251 Member
    Other
    Paralives, looks pretty cool and all, but it's new and when it's actually released, it's still going to be in some development, because it's new and that's exactly how all Simulation games come out, because it'll take years if you want to create a perfect, 100% developed game. I don't think I'll get it till I know that the developers have done as much as they can at that point to make it perfect, the videos about it, the game looks empty and of course, people are going to be reluctant to buy it at first, it happened when TS4 came out. I'd rather wait for TS5, it might turn out better than Paralives. Whatever the outcome is, who knows what might happen with both of them?
    edited October 2021

I had to rewatch the build video. The curved walls and resizing of objects was so interesting I forgot the beginning. Especially the customisation of the cushions and pictures.

They said there would a be a town, so more characters must be coming other than Maggie and Sebastian? Are these two extra people shipping with the game? They haven’t appeared since or any news about them or the other Paras.

I really don’t want the Parafolk to be exactly like Sims. I am hoping this is just a beta version and the final product will be different. 🤞

It is extremely interesting to me because first while just developing a game and showing off objects inside a lot if one hasn't worked much other than buildmode, there wouldn't be a world, nor characters standing outside waiting to come in the house. Nor would there be that advanced type game play (the characters waiting to come into their new home) during development without some major advancements, right? Don't forget this particular video was made months ago showing off resizing of objects inside. I don't get it, why there are two characters outside that early on, without any mention of the Paralives world (where is that video? lol) wouldn't they need a world and animations and programming that early to be able to see two characters waiting to come inside? Just keep in mind the video she showed is an earlier video but they keep saying they haven't gotten that far along with anything else other than the posts they have posted. So whose world is it, and whose characters are they is my question or why not show people the 'world' and a little bit of gameplay if they have it completed that far along so early on. It's like as others mentioned, they say things but then we see or read something different. This biggest find this year for me is to see those two characters waiting to go into a house when there is supposedly no programming for that nor even a world....so I have to wonder whose world and characters are they. Or what game are they using to prototype their own. Because according to those 'working' on this game, there is no world nor characters programmed to enter a house but there they are in a earlier video. :o Not even supposed to be there in the time line of this video and their development stage according to them they haven't done any of that, yet. Maybe someone can ask them over on Twitter so the public can know just who are they and why they are seen in such an early video about buildmode. It starts to dawn on some is this a game, game or modding tools others can download on Steam eventually.

Take a look at the two standing outside waiting to enter the house.....and btw what's that word in the circle bubble next to them? LOL< and look at the one's outfit, socks, shoes, leggings? and a top, none of it matches....doesn't that remind anyone of other characters..um, yeah, TS4 townie dressers. I'm sorry, but this sure looks like TS4 to me just on very low settings. It's all too familiar to me even right down to the crazy outfit the character is wearing down to the fence and dirt path, road for me to actually think it's a separate game so far. In the video the word looks like Trick. Maybe they can answer that. Sorry my screen capture is blurry it's much clearer in the actual video presented by Sim Erin on Youtube who didn't even mention characters outside. Nor the all too familiar looking world of TS4. ETA: It reminds me of the big opening in the WC park along a dirt path....hmmm.

OVB9koj.jpg

Wait, how did I miss this one? No one is talking about these characters seen in the buildmode video...Parafolk or Sims?

TZvA9VH.jpg
    Post edited by Cinebar on
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Other
    Since they are not interacting with anyone or anything they can be simple animations like the birds in Sims 4
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited October 2021

It is extremely interesting to me because first while just developing a game and showing off objects inside a lot if one hasn't worked much other than buildmode, there wouldn't be a world, nor characters standing outside waiting to come in the house. Nor would there be that advanced type game play (the characters waiting to come into their new home) during development without some major advancements, right? Don't forget this particular video was made months ago showing off resizing of objects inside. I don't get it, why there are two characters outside that early on, without any mention of the Paralives world (where is that video? lol) wouldn't they need a world and animations and programming that early to be able to see two characters waiting to come inside? Just keep in mind the video she showed is an earlier video but they keep saying they haven't gotten that far along with anything else other than the posts they have posted. So whose world is it, and whose characters are they is my question or why not show people the 'world' and a little bit of gameplay if they have it completed that far along so early on. It's like as others mentioned, they say things but then we see or read something different. This biggest find this year for me is to see those two characters waiting to go into a house when there is supposedly no programming for that nor even a world....so I have to wonder whose world and characters are they. Or what game are they using to prototype their own. Because according to those 'working' on this game, there is no world nor characters programmed to enter a house but there they are in a earlier video. :o Not even supposed to be there in the time line of this video and their development stage according to them they haven't done any of that, yet. Maybe someone can ask them over on Twitter so the public can know just who are they and why they are seen in such an early video about buildmode. It starts to dawn on some is this a game, game or modding tools others can download on Steam eventually.

Take a look at the two standing outside waiting to enter the house.....and btw what's that word in the circle bubble next to them? LOL< and look at the one's outfit, socks, shoes, leggings? and a top, none of it matches....doesn't that remind anyone of other characters..um, yeah, TS4 townie dressers. I'm sorry, but this sure looks like TS4 to me just on very low settings. It's all too familiar to me even right down to the crazy outfit the character is wearing down to the fence and dirt path, road for me to actually think it's a separate game so far. In the video the word looks like Trick. Maybe they can answer that. Sorry my screen capture is blurry it's much clearer in the actual video presented by Sim Erin on Youtube who didn't even mention characters outside. Nor the all too familiar looking world of TS4. ETA: It reminds me of the big opening in the WC park along a dirt path....hmmm.

OVB9koj.jpg

Wait, how did I miss this one? No one is talking about these characters seen in the buildmode video...Parafolk or Sims?

TZvA9VH.jpg

those two characters are placeholders and I only know that because I'm on the paralives discord.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited October 2021
    MadameLee wrote: »

OVB9koj.jpg

TZvA9VH.jpg

those two characters are placeholders and I only know that because I'm on the paralives discord.

Did they 'borrow' Maxis Sims to be placeholders? Because these two move around and grunt and act tired or frustrated (seen in the video) like our Sims do when they want to go on into a house. He rubs his neck, shrugs etc. She moves around and puts her hands on her hips etc. I thought there were no animations for characters that early on. Did they borrow Maxis animations, too? I know Maxis uses placeholders (objects etc.) from their older games while developing their newer games, but I don't understand how placeholders of characters from other games work. They sure act like The Sims to me. The animations these two do look a whole lot like TS2 or TS3 Sims' animations while standing idle waiting to be let loose to live.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Did they 'borrow' Maxis Sims to be placeholders? Because these two move around and grunt and act tired or frustrated (seen in the video) like our Sims do when they want to go on into a house. He rubs his neck, shrugs etc. She moves around and puts her hands on her hips etc. I thought there were no animations for characters that early on. Did they borrow Maxis animations, too? I know Maxis uses placeholders (objects etc.) from their older games while developing their newer games, but I don't understand how placeholders of characters from other games work. They sure act like The Sims to me. The animations these two do look a whole lot like TS2 or TS3 Sims' animations while standing idle waiting to be let loose to live.

I believe the game is being made in Unity or Unreal, which both of them have Asset stores where you can purchase hundreds of ready to use assets for use in your game from characters, animals, animations, sounds, fx, environment assets, world maps, etc.

You can purchase characters and animations from either store to use as placeholders.

So it's possible that is what they did for these characters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top