July 27th - Bug Fixes! Catch up on the fixes with the latest patch click here
July 20th: The latest patch is live! To read the patch notes, click here
July 23rd- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 503 Member
    edited July 20
    Other
    I'm not going to buy Paralives because I don't like the graphics. I don't love Maxis or what it's done to TS4. If TS5 is going to be used for propaganda purposes the way that TS4 has been used, then I won't buy it either. I currently play an MMO but TS5 as an MMO would not interest me at all.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,118 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Please remember the game is in pre-alphba the style of the paras might change between now and the finished game but did anyone notice the difference in Maggie between last's May(?) video of her and the Christmas video of 2020
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=A0eV1d-L-mc <-May video
    Christmas 2020 Video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=qJrGUeEhBOQ
    1. Also Paralives now have 10 devs but the PR person is going to be leaving at the end of the week who has been answering questions via twitter.
    2. Also the cars seen at the moment in pre-alphba trailers will be driveable some point in the future. It's one of the two ways (beside walking of course) that paras will be able to get from Place A to Place B. I'm just hoping the Paralives dev take time to put in public transit (buses, commuter trains) into the base game before releasing it.
    3. They're planning on very Little paid DLC-like "Paranormal" will be DLC but something like disabilities might come in a free patch.
    4. The game will be on PC/Mac only at first no plans for it to be on mobile or consoles.
    5. will be single-player and off-line except for
    6. more cultural items including religious objects even if religions wouldn't be in the game itself.
    7. looking into disabilities (at the moment mostly pyschailly disabilities and at the start might only be comsetic like hearing aid)
    8. the brainstorming section of discord and Reddit at the moment is Important Live Events

    development page: https://www.paralives.com/development

    and the FAQ page
    https://www.paralives.com/faq

    and the Parazine folders from 2020/2021
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/125C_GUvXGNXBT_ieHG282hoVkp1Y2NFP
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 762 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I'm not going to buy Paralives because I don't like the graphics. I don't love Maxis or what it's done to TS4. If TS5 is going to be used for propaganda purposes the way that TS4 has been used, then I won't buy it either. I currently play an MMO but TS5 as an MMO would not interest me at all.

    ohh a sims MMO could be fun, but it deffo won't be whenever EA is involved because of EA's sick love for predatory microtransactions and paywalling half the game
    FDi8uzw.gif
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 116 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    I'm already a Patron for Paralives, so I will be supporting it upon release. Whether it's good or not will be subjective, but it's a good start for others to break into the "Dollhouse LifeSim" genre.

    Also, TS4 is my last mainline Sims game. Too much money, too much potential squandered. I love TS4 to death, but that's in spite of it's flaws.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 166 Member
    Other
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    I'm already a Patron for Paralives, so I will be supporting it upon release. Whether it's good or not will be subjective, but it's a good start for others to break into the "Dollhouse LifeSim" genre.

    Also, TS4 is my last mainline Sims game. Too much money, too much potential squandered. I love TS4 to death, but that's in spite of it's flaws.

    Mine as well. I'm more than a bit irritated right now at TS4, but I'm sure I will move back to it at some point. TS3 is my relaxing, happy place in gaming. But even if TS5 contradicts all my expectations and looks great, I don't have any plans to purchase it. I can't start over from scratch and do the Pack sequence again. I did it with TS1, and didn't mind. I started over in TS2 with a limited base game, and enjoyed the game enough to purchase the expansions. I started over in TS3 with a limited base game, enjoyed the open world experience, and purchased all of the expansions (twice). I waited until TS4 matured, but eventually bought the horribly limited base game and all of the expansions up until Eco. I haven't purchased a pack since then. I'm done. If TS5 is a fully fleshed out version of TS3 then maybe. But based on 20 years of experience, there is zero - I repeat, zero - reason to expect that TS5, whatever it is, will be much more than a baseline re-start, with lots of packs to follow. So I'm done.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,906 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    @ClarionOfJoy , my point is or was not go thru all of that (edited as I misread). OR who is on her side or not. Or the most important, bring all old stuff out of their graves. Why I refused even post that old stuff in here anyway.

    I was mentioning that I used and still use her creations at TS2, and I was ONLY commenting because you said to me she was not the same person, what was incorrect. Everything else is not my business.


    I'm fine with that. I just saw a good opportunity to clarify the issue about Roxane. She got fired because of her unprofessional conduct and instability so she tried to smear Alex by saying that he didn't have a long term plan or wasn't implementing live mode fast enough. But this is a project that is going to take quite a while for a small game studio - parafolk AI and town dynamics would actually be the hardest part of it and would be the last to be implemented after building features are done. There was no need to talk about live mode yet, she was just trying to bring Paralives down along with her.


    Was she lying though? This was one year ago and there is still no long term plan or live mode development. I cancelled my pledge before this post but can a patron verify if the official road map really says that the beta will be released in early 2021?

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/paralives-37632182


    Do I think she's lying? I think she was sore that she got fired so she said things to try to bring Paralives down with her. For a project this big, I don't think developers would post a long term plan because people can twist it somehow. Even Maxis doesn't do this and we don't question it. What the Paralives dev team has done and what every other game studio has done is give updates on what is being recently developed. And Paralives has been very good with that through their Patreon webpage and their Discord channel (I get my Paralives info from Discord). From what I can see, Patreon members are satisfied - the membership has actually gone up since that incident.

    In terms of live mode - parafolk AI and town dynamics/story progression will actually be the biggest and most difficult part to develop and implement and would probably be started when all the building features are nearly completed. So that will be a while.

    Why aren't you guys demanding Maxis to talk about live mode yet in TS5? They have an even bigger dev team so they should be finished with live mode RIGHT NOW, correct?

    Maxis has to report to their investors, not customers about upcoming projects. Do you think Maxis isn’t giving their investors a long term plan? Do you think Maxis doesn‘t have to report and defend their progress (or lack thereof) to their investors? Paralives‘ investors are their patrons and it‘s time that they‘re treated as such. $500,000 a year is a lot of money. A long term plan is really the bare minimum they should be releasing. So far they have done nothing to earn this blind trust the community is giving them.

    Are you a patron btw? Can you answer what I posted above?


    Have you gone to the Paralives website??? They DO outline what their long term goals are, the features they want to implement, where they are on the long road to completion, and what progress has been made so far. You act like they don't say anything at all as if they're being dishonest when it's been there on their webpage the whole time. Their Patreon membership has gone up since that incident so people are definitely satisfied with the progress the devs are reporting.

    I'm not a Patreon member. I've never heard them talk about a beta release in 2021, not even on their Discord channel, no reports of it on YouTube, nothing. It's nowhere mentioned in the official website itself. As a matter of fact, on the development page, it shows where they are in the process. Right now they are at the Pre-Alpha stage. You don't even need to be a Patreon member to see that. Now if they are in Pre-Alpha, what would make you think they're set for a beta release, much less demo a polished live mode?

    By the way, they have a great sense of humor! You've been asking for a look at their live mode, so here it is in all of it's Pre-Alpha glory! Got this from their Discord channel, lol!

    image_3.png

    I posted a link to their patreon. All I need is a patron to click on it and tell me if it really says there will be a beta in early 2021. I think this was the roadmap they posted after Roxane accused Alex of not having a long term plan.


    Maybe none of the Patreon members comes here? You can ask the Paralives devs on their official website. There's a Contact page where you can email them and ask. Also try asking them on their Discord channel. So far, I have not seen any mention of a beta release in early 2021 anywhere.


    Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

    Screenshot-186.jpg


  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,906 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Realistically it's an indie studio making a very ambitious project where the lead guy has said "yes" to every feature people asked for. I don't see it delivering on all of those. I've seen enough kickstarter/funded/early access games fail that I won't believe it's going to be successful until I actually see it being successful. Heck, a game I kickstarted just came out and was nothing like what they promised, so I've experience with myself. Realistically it might deliver on half of what they've said soon and it might be good. Or it might end up stuck in Early Access forever with the promise of more features until the game shuts down due to lack of funding. Or it might end up being an amazing game that surpasses everyone's expectations. But I think it's way too early to tell based on what they've shown. Their version of CAS and build/buy is very promising, but what about when you add the actual open world gameplay to that? With the houseboats and horses and pets and (seemingly) no rabbitholes, etc etc since I lost track of all the things that were promised? That's the bit I want to see.


    That's not true that he has says "yes" to every suggestion. A lot of times they say that a suggestion sounds exciting and they will consider it.

    To keep track of what progress they've made and what they will be working on next, you can just visit their official Paralives website. But for immediate recent info, visit their Discord channel. I like their Discord channel a lot because they have sessions where people can ask about stuff and make suggestions. I've even emailed them directly on occasions, and they've always emailed me back!


    Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

    Screenshot-186.jpg


  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,876 Member
    edited July 21
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    @Cinebar sometimes I wonder if the paralives dev found himself in over his head with all of the expectations and demands sims fans put on him.
    I remember the girl who got fired saying he keeps delaying making anything related to live mode and has no long term planning. Everyone cursed her for it but it really seems to be the case.

    I was so annoyed that people attacked her and didn’t listen to what she had to say. Yes she spoke in a very disgusting way but this doesn‘t mean she was lying. I actually left the Patreon & unfollowed everything Paralives related on Twitter because of that. And honestly if the dev is struggling with the high expectations then he needs to blame himself. What did he think would happen when he ran after every big EA GameChanger to hype his project?

    You know that gamechanger's videos of Paralives was the reason I started supporting this little Indie game. They can thank him for getting more people to fund them. But you are right the hype in those 'news' videos he does got a lot of people to expect more and fund them.

    Everybody supporting the game know they aren't seeing anymore special stuff any more than what is released to the public a few weeks or month later. (If they are paying attention). The things patrons get to see are soon shown to the public not much later so yeah, there has been a tremendous amount of hype.

    Such as we were shown the modular couches and that info was released like a week later (I don't remember) to the public and viola EA has it in their game and released before the month was over. ( TS4) That coincidence was uncanny since both would have been working on their couches at the same time. Odd. Or is it? lol :o Both would have taken a fair amount of time....at the same time...interesting. lol

    I might be the only one who found that extremely interesting. lol Like how would two different companies (teams) be working on the same project nearly at the same time and one tells the public here look at these modular couches that they plan to add to a future non existing game, and the major company goes ahead and adds some to their game...what? Yes.

    But anyhow, the hype might out weigh the truth and just like fandom happens in The Sims, fandom may be a flaw for those of us expecting to see gameplay when really all we ever see is more build mode assets- especially when the time line is supposed to be about other things. I know all this is difficult, no doubt, yes, Paralives has an impressive build mode plan, and impressive assets, and impressive plans about other things, but so far other than some changes to 3D models we aren't seeing any of that.

    If and when they ever show patrons some gameplay or routing and or pathing or interactions with the world I will be the first to scream omg, you guys are going to love it! lol, but there is none of that since March-July (their time line)







    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 1,357 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Cinebar wrote: »

    Such as we were shown the modular couches and that info was released like a week later (I don't remember) to the public and viola EA has it in their game and released before the month was over. ( TS4) That coincidence was uncanny since both would have been working on their couches at the same time. Odd. Or is it? lol :o Both would have taken a fair amount of time....at the same time...interesting. lol

    I might be the only one who found that extremely interesting. lol Like how would two different companies (teams) be working on the same project nearly at the same time and one tells the public here look at these modular couches that they plan to add to a future non existing game, and the major company goes ahead and adds some to their game...what? Yes.

    Off Topic, but I personally don't feel like EA was copying Paralives at all when it comes to the modular sofas. I think they look at what CC/Mod creators are doing and replicate things they think are cool and that fans like. I've seen some remarkably similar things that EA has released AFTER a similar item created by a CC creator in the past.

    The modular sofas in DHD are extremely similar to a modular sofa that Ravasheen made from the Murphy bed sofa, and that was a over a year ago. Ravasheen made her modular sofa in July 2020. TS4 released theirs in May 2021.

    https://ravasheencc.tumblr.com/post/622619678403133440/sofa-so-good-sectional-set-i-am-so-stoked-to-get

    Here's another example:

    The Island Living single bed, Wicker-O-the-Wisp, released June 2019

    Ravasheen's Spoiled Rattan bed, released May 2019.

    w7ZwOgh.png







  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 762 Member
    edited July 21
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    SimSpock wrote: »
    haven't purchased a pack since then. I'm done. If TS5 is a fully fleshed out version of TS3 then maybe. But based on 20 years of experience, there is zero - I repeat, zero - reason to expect that TS5, whatever it is, will be much more than a baseline re-start, with lots of packs to follow. So I'm done.

    zero chance of that happening with EA running the show. they will want that pack money because EA is immorally greedy to the point where they defend child gambling because of profit. 100% chance EA will make TS 5 a repeat of 4 and make it a 1000$ for a full experience and they also are planning multiplayer so they can also add more microtransactions and paywalls, turning this series into another F2P modelled cashgrab. EA is notorious for their greed for a reason!

    FDi8uzw.gif
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,512 Member
    Other
    Was she lying though? This was one year ago and there is still no long term plan or live mode development. I cancelled my pledge before this post but can a patron verify if the official road map really says that the beta will be released in early 2021?

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/paralives-37632182

    It doesn't say that the beta will be released in early 2021, no.

    General statement not directed specifically at you though, I honestly would rather they take their time creating this game. One of the things I disliked about Sims 4 was how rushed it felt and I gladly would've waited 6 or even 10 years for a better Sims 4 base game. Even though I'm a patreon member funding them, I just can't be upset or frustrated that they aren't going quick enough and showing live mode yet, choosing instead to work on things are paras will be interacting with first. I know it takes a while and I want it to take a long while if that means it'll be done right after my experience with The Sims.

    Build mode is the most polished likely because it's been worked on since the team consisted of one person. We're not talking Stardew Valley but an open world life simulator that will be most similar to The Sims. It took since late 2018 or early 2019 to get just build mode to the point it's at now and it's still not completed yet despite feeling a lot like it is and they're still doing stuff I didn't expect but am pleasantly surprised by, like with their most recent patreon post. They're working on everything else too (I don't know how specific I can be, sorry). They don't have a ton of people so I guess time will tell if the management style, the allocation of their time and all with how they decided to build this game up will work well in the end but I decided it's something worth investing a little in because I do think the end result will be a nice game to play.

    I'm not expecting the full game until 2023 to 2025 (they didn't say that, that's just me and being overly cautious I personally lean towards '25) but I personally don't think we have too far off to see some of live mode based on some of their previous patreon posts this year. But what's not too far off for me may feel like an eternity for someone else, lol. Also based on those posts they seem to have some pretty great ideas of their own and are trying to get a feel for which will best suit their vision and future players. I'd never thought about some of those ideas before but it's stuff I don't recall seeing done quite like that in a life simulator so I'll definitely be interested to see the final product.

    Also based on their patreon posts I do believe they are where they say they are in the development of the game as of now in July 2021 on their website so I think it's a pretty good judge of where they're at. I keep forgetting that being mod friendly is a big thing too but I don't remember if it's public what they're doing so I'll keep my mouth shut. As everyone kept reminding people from the start though, it's a small indie team. It's going to take time. I'd love to see live mode para interactions too (as some people on YouTube pointed out, some people consider build mode gameplay and want to see that stuff and as an all-around type player I personally don't mind because I'll be using it too), but that's going to take a while.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,274 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Im not really excited tho for paralives until i see how the characters act (personality, systems in place). I dont build so idc for all the new building options.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,118 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,876 Member
    edited July 22
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?

    Yes, we read it.
    In answer to those who point to their time line and believe they are where they say they are within that time line, yes,maybe so, however, they haven't shown Patrons any animations about character animations so far and that's supposed to have been happening and being developed for several months. Just Sayin'.

    ETA: Some might think I'm a stickler but animations are the thing that drives a life simulator. Simulations. I am a huge fan of animations....since I first learned how to draw a character way back when there were no personal pcs, and learned how to flip the pages to make it move....I want to see animations. lol

    There is no game without simulation.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,118 Member
    edited July 23
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?

    Yes, we read it.
    In answer to those who point to their time line and believe they are where they say they are within that time line, yes,maybe so, however, they haven't shown Patrons any animations about character animations so far and that's supposed to have been happening and being developed for several months. Just Sayin'.

    ETA: Some might think I'm a stickler but animations are the thing that drives a life simulator. Simulations. I am a huge fan of animations....since I first learned how to draw a character way back when there were no personal pcs, and learned how to flip the pages to make it move....I want to see animations. lol

    There is no game without simulation.

    And they're working on it. They just aren't there. Did you see someone's else post about the day in the life of a Developer which showed the process of animation like the 3D model sitting down? I'm rather they took their time on all aspects and not get a rushed game like Sims 4. And also the fact that unlike the Sims series the Devs said they're hopping for Sims of different heights. And also gradual aging.


    Cinebar the game is CERTIANLTLY not going to come out this year since forgot animation... There's no kids, teens or babies yet. nor is there any jobs or anything in the game. The only thing which would be out this year if Paralives was released would be a building game.

    https://twitter.com/AnnaParalives

    Post edited by MadameLee on
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,228 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I agree, don't expect anything you can actually play, not even early release, this year. They haven't finished designing it yet, let alone programming it. However I am pretty sure now that there IS going to be a finished product and it's not just vaporware.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,512 Member
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?

    Yes, we read it.
    In answer to those who point to their time line and believe they are where they say they are within that time line, yes,maybe so, however, they haven't shown Patrons any animations about character animations so far and that's supposed to have been happening and being developed for several months. Just Sayin'.

    ETA: Some might think I'm a stickler but animations are the thing that drives a life simulator. Simulations. I am a huge fan of animations....since I first learned how to draw a character way back when there were no personal pcs, and learned how to flip the pages to make it move....I want to see animations. lol

    There is no game without simulation.


    Maybe we consider proof of animations to be two different things but (at least in my view) they've shown proof that they're working on animations and I think only one of those posts is public (it was before I joined and I read it on Twitter originally) but both are in March.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/character-48641387

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/week-with-dev-49185753

    They also made a post about plans for live mode actions/interactions in April.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/first-steps-of-50670611

    I don't think just because they haven't highlighted it in a recent posts means it just fell to the wayside of something, especially considering that at any given time mainly one to two people at least seem to be mainly doing animation work, though one doesn't have a social media account.

    They likely just have more polished stuff they can show off first and yeah, it's likely going to be build mode though I would be surprised to see the paramaker improvements pop up more with Charlie on the scene. But those posts are the main reason I don't think seeing live actions and interactions are too far off. The thing is that it won't be complete or even close to finished and while it doesn't have to be for them to give us a peak, they likely want to make sure it's more polished before showing it off. They have gotten feedback with past glimpses of animation and the parafolk (paras feet being too small, the way bodies look, needing to loosen up paras movements) that was clearly taken into consideration as they've made adjustments.

    It's a fine line to walk considering they're relying on public funding but if they show it now and it's not looking good, even though it's a work in progress they may lose more funding than if they were to wait until it is more polished then show us. It's the kind of the same route that was taken with build mode, waiting until there's something impressive enough to show and using that to gain more attention and therefore funding. I get it's frustrating because it's high on a lot of people's lists of things to see, including mine, but I don't see or feel there's anything to be worried about at this point. Going through their posts when I first joined and all the others since then, I personally feel like they have a pretty good vision of what they want to accomplish for the base game by release and while they love to hear ideas and suggestions it hasn't much altered the vision in any way, if anything they know (based on the brainstorming sessions) what to focus on, which seems to solidify their thinking sometimes. It's just going to take time to get it all done.

    I don't know if they'll respond as quickly when the community manager leaves to work on her new project but you could always ask in the community tab when we're likely to see or get more info on animations and I think the main animator, though not on social media has an email you could write to if you want to ask her specifically or make suggestions. They're not saying yes to everything but they seem to love hearing feedback and ideas.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,876 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?

    Yes, we read it.
    In answer to those who point to their time line and believe they are where they say they are within that time line, yes,maybe so, however, they haven't shown Patrons any animations about character animations so far and that's supposed to have been happening and being developed for several months. Just Sayin'.

    ETA: Some might think I'm a stickler but animations are the thing that drives a life simulator. Simulations. I am a huge fan of animations....since I first learned how to draw a character way back when there were no personal pcs, and learned how to flip the pages to make it move....I want to see animations. lol

    There is no game without simulation.


    Maybe we consider proof of animations to be two different things but (at least in my view) they've shown proof that they're working on animations and I think only one of those posts is public (it was before I joined and I read it on Twitter originally) but both are in March.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/character-48641387

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/week-with-dev-49185753

    They also made a post about plans for live mode actions/interactions in April.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/first-steps-of-50670611

    I don't think just because they haven't highlighted it in a recent posts means it just fell to the wayside of something, especially considering that at any given time mainly one to two people at least seem to be mainly doing animation work, though one doesn't have a social media account.

    They likely just have more polished stuff they can show off first and yeah, it's likely going to be build mode though I would be surprised to see the paramaker improvements pop up more with Charlie on the scene. But those posts are the main reason I don't think seeing live actions and interactions are too far off. The thing is that it won't be complete or even close to finished and while it doesn't have to be for them to give us a peak, they likely want to make sure it's more polished before showing it off. They have gotten feedback with past glimpses of animation and the parafolk (paras feet being too small, the way bodies look, needing to loosen up paras movements) that was clearly taken into consideration as they've made adjustments.

    It's a fine line to walk considering they're relying on public funding but if they show it now and it's not looking good, even though it's a work in progress they may lose more funding than if they were to wait until it is more polished then show us. It's the kind of the same route that was taken with build mode, waiting until there's something impressive enough to show and using that to gain more attention and therefore funding. I get it's frustrating because it's high on a lot of people's lists of things to see, including mine, but I don't see or feel there's anything to be worried about at this point. Going through their posts when I first joined and all the others since then, I personally feel like they have a pretty good vision of what they want to accomplish for the base game by release and while they love to hear ideas and suggestions it hasn't much altered the vision in any way, if anything they know (based on the brainstorming sessions) what to focus on, which seems to solidify their thinking sometimes. It's just going to take time to get it all done.

    I don't know if they'll respond as quickly when the community manager leaves to work on her new project but you could always ask in the community tab when we're likely to see or get more info on animations and I think the main animator, though not on social media has an email you could write to if you want to ask her specifically or make suggestions. They're not saying yes to everything but they seem to love hearing feedback and ideas.

    Thanks. I might do that. Yes, I saw some of the early animations and the day in the life of dev posts about animations. I know how hard it is. I'm just impatient I guess. I think their build mode features and assets are great and as I said it would be a great build simulator for those of us who love to build. I was actually surprised the community manager who just joined in mid May has already left to pursue other interests.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,512 Member
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did anyone actually see my post from yesterday?

    Yes, we read it.
    In answer to those who point to their time line and believe they are where they say they are within that time line, yes,maybe so, however, they haven't shown Patrons any animations about character animations so far and that's supposed to have been happening and being developed for several months. Just Sayin'.

    ETA: Some might think I'm a stickler but animations are the thing that drives a life simulator. Simulations. I am a huge fan of animations....since I first learned how to draw a character way back when there were no personal pcs, and learned how to flip the pages to make it move....I want to see animations. lol

    There is no game without simulation.


    Maybe we consider proof of animations to be two different things but (at least in my view) they've shown proof that they're working on animations and I think only one of those posts is public (it was before I joined and I read it on Twitter originally) but both are in March.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/character-48641387

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/week-with-dev-49185753

    They also made a post about plans for live mode actions/interactions in April.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/first-steps-of-50670611

    I don't think just because they haven't highlighted it in a recent posts means it just fell to the wayside of something, especially considering that at any given time mainly one to two people at least seem to be mainly doing animation work, though one doesn't have a social media account.

    They likely just have more polished stuff they can show off first and yeah, it's likely going to be build mode though I would be surprised to see the paramaker improvements pop up more with Charlie on the scene. But those posts are the main reason I don't think seeing live actions and interactions are too far off. The thing is that it won't be complete or even close to finished and while it doesn't have to be for them to give us a peak, they likely want to make sure it's more polished before showing it off. They have gotten feedback with past glimpses of animation and the parafolk (paras feet being too small, the way bodies look, needing to loosen up paras movements) that was clearly taken into consideration as they've made adjustments.

    It's a fine line to walk considering they're relying on public funding but if they show it now and it's not looking good, even though it's a work in progress they may lose more funding than if they were to wait until it is more polished then show us. It's the kind of the same route that was taken with build mode, waiting until there's something impressive enough to show and using that to gain more attention and therefore funding. I get it's frustrating because it's high on a lot of people's lists of things to see, including mine, but I don't see or feel there's anything to be worried about at this point. Going through their posts when I first joined and all the others since then, I personally feel like they have a pretty good vision of what they want to accomplish for the base game by release and while they love to hear ideas and suggestions it hasn't much altered the vision in any way, if anything they know (based on the brainstorming sessions) what to focus on, which seems to solidify their thinking sometimes. It's just going to take time to get it all done.

    I don't know if they'll respond as quickly when the community manager leaves to work on her new project but you could always ask in the community tab when we're likely to see or get more info on animations and I think the main animator, though not on social media has an email you could write to if you want to ask her specifically or make suggestions. They're not saying yes to everything but they seem to love hearing feedback and ideas.

    Thanks. I might do that. Yes, I saw some of the early animations and the day in the life of dev posts about animations. I know how hard it is. I'm just impatient I guess. I think their build mode features and assets are great and as I said it would be a great build simulator for those of us who love to build. I was actually surprised the community manager who just joined in mid May has already left to pursue other interests.

    It's understandable. On the one hand I can't wait to play the finished product but on the other I really want them to take their time and do it right. They still wow me with build mode additions but I really want to see the Paramaker, paras of all ages, the genetics system, paras interacting, pets, and the world.

    To try tie this in with the topic just in case, I want to see the Sims 5 version of this stuff too. Part of the reason I decided to donate a little to help Paralives along is because their goal is to move forward in the life simulation genre in a way I wish The Sims would've years ago and hope they do with Sims 5 but I don't expect them to. I can respect a try and fail (like with emotions for one) but six years to fix something or not fix anything at all (the past Sims games) is too much and a long questionable track record. I don't know if the Paralives team or any other future life simulator dev team will do the same but at this point I'm sadly more willing to take a chance on some newbies than The Sims team.

    Yeah, I was surprised too but she said that it's something she's been eyeing for a while and the opportunity became available so while it was a hard choice she didn't want to pass it up, or something like that. I can't find the original tweet anymore but I understand the sentiment. A lot of people in seem to be realizing that life is short and they were missing out on a lot or afraid to or just not taking chances and fulfilling their dreams so I get it but it's possible that her leaving along with the last intern they had opens up a bit more space for another 3D animator. I don't think she was an intern as well but then again I also don't know how much they pay interns vs regulars working on the game.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    I am going to say yes. I have my eye on it and I like what I see so far. I know we have not really seen much in the line of gameplay, but I am impressed with what I have seen in the build side of things. I remember sims 1 when no one knew what that was, and what it did become. I think when they finish Paralives and finally release it, it deserves the same chance.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 762 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    at this point I'm sadly more willing to take a chance on some newbies than The Sims team.
    .

    don't blame the sims team for this though buddy.. blame the greedy filth at the top of the EA corporate pyramid like Andrew Wilson. they make the calls after all to focus more on new packs to sell instead of actually make the game work properly. i am 100% sure the sims team themselves rather work on the flaws of the game as well, but they answer to the greedy executives in the end, and executives only care about one thing: money money money

    FDi8uzw.gif
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 25 Member
    I'm reserving judgement at this point, especially since the Sims 5 hasn't even been given a release date yet. I don't think there's even been an official EA announcement saying that they are working on it, although the public has seen job ads for a Sims project, so we know it's being worked on.
    Paralives looks pretty good for what snippets have been shown so far. In many respects it reminds me of Cities Skylines, I suppose it is because of the Unity engine. As soon as they plopped down that curved wall in the build video, they had me. I'll certainly take a plunge on it when it comes along.
    I don't know how long it'll be before the Sims 5 comes out, but if there is a sizeable gap in the release dates of these two games then I see no reason not to be a proud owner of both titles. Although I must admit that having to re-buy all of the little bits that make the Sims 4 such a monolithic game is a bit of a worry. Hopefully EA is a little more generous with base features, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 25 Member
    I will just add that if the Sims 5 has some king of mandatory online feature, like an MMO, then I won't touch it with a barge pole. They did that with Sim City and it wasn't successful, so hopefully they have taken the old adage "once bitten, twice shy" to heart.
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 116 Member
    Other
    I'm going to stick with the sims 4 until they stop producing content and either paralives or s5 show me something more appealing. I stuck with s3 for about 2 years before switching. When I'm ready to make the switch I will look at both and then pick the one that is the most appealing.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 762 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    I will just add that if the Sims 5 has some king of mandatory online feature, like an MMO, then I won't touch it with a barge pole. They did that with Sim City and it wasn't successful, so hopefully they have taken the old adage "once bitten, twice shy" to heart.

    hahaha then you don't know EA very well do you? if there is even the slightest bit of profit in it for them they'll happely bite twice. Dungeon Keeper, Command and Conquer, STar Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed and Sim City are just a handful of once great titles turned into F2P based (they will still charge you full price for it) microtransaction cashgrabs, and they will not stop ruining other great games because they are unethically greedy. they are fully embracing the online live service cashgrab model so you can expect them to try and make TS 5 an online cashgrab bloated with all kinds of scummy lootbox and MTX shenanigans
    FDi8uzw.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top