Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Simtanium wrote: »
    I'm not buying Paralives (in the words of Taylor Swift), like, ever. It looks like a mobile app game.

I'm going to keep a close eye on any future Sims games, but I'm not switching to TS5 straight away. I did that with 3 and 4 and regretted abandoning the previous iteration. I really like TS4 in it's current state, and I was away from the game for about 3 years so there's still a lot to explore for me.

Now, I will buy TS5 eventually - and I'll even try it if it's a social game, even though I *HATE* the idea, because I can still see it being fun.

EDIT: Paralives looks worse than a mobile app game. It looks a dollar store version of TS4 - cheap trash. :confounded:
    Yeah because Sims 4 looked amazing early on in development and even later with high quality objects like the ball pit talk about cheap trash.

maxresdefault.jpg
    08-23-17_10-50-10-PM.png

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Other
    I don‘t remember what I originally voted but now, I don‘t think I will get it. I never really liked the art design of the characters but I was able to tolerate it hoping the gameplay would make up for it. The more I read through their Discord, Reddit, dev chat, etc. the more apparent it is that it will be just another politically correct and woke game, just another happy utopia. This kind of helicopter parent game style has ruined TS4 for me. I’m not going to waste more money for the same experience.

I also don‘t think they will be able to pull off what they‘ve been promising. Most of the promises were made when they were just a small team without any experts in animations, pathfinding, etc. Customization in build mode is great but useless when our characters can’t use them. They already have shown us that they overpromised when they showed us the height slider which is just scaling a character up and down. It‘s like a picture in a Word document that you enlarge or shrink by dragging the corner. They promised a height slider without understanding the human anatomy and form. I‘m sure there will be many more instances where it‘s clear that they‘ve overpromised and can‘t deliver. The reason why they focus on build mode so much is because it‘s the easiest thing to do. This is also the reason why TS4 focuses on build mode so much. I also don’t see the point of focusing so much on build buy in this stage of development. They‘re putting all this time and money into creating objects that they will throw in the trash in a few months as they don‘t fit the current art style anymore. They should do what other game developers do and work with generic white boxes to test animations, pathfinding and to implement gameplay features. They can replace these boxes later on when they settled for an art style… but I suppose this won’t make them go viral on social media = less money. I don‘t want another building simulator that pretends to be a life simulator. Yeah, people talk about all the ideas that the devs have.. but they‘re just that: ideas. Call me when they have successfully implemented them.
  • Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Simtanium wrote: »
    I'm not buying Paralives (in the words of Taylor Swift), like, ever. It looks like a mobile app game.

I'm going to keep a close eye on any future Sims games, but I'm not switching to TS5 straight away. I did that with 3 and 4 and regretted abandoning the previous iteration. I really like TS4 in it's current state, and I was away from the game for about 3 years so there's still a lot to explore for me.

Now, I will buy TS5 eventually - and I'll even try it if it's a social game, even though I *HATE* the idea, because I can still see it being fun.

EDIT: Paralives looks worse than a mobile app game. It looks a dollar store version of TS4 - cheap trash. :confounded:
    Yeah because Sims 4 looked amazing early on in development and even later with high quality objects like the ball pit talk about cheap trash.

maxresdefault.jpg
    08-23-17_10-50-10-PM.png

judging a game just on it's graphics is dumb imo. just look at the average EA game: great looks but bad gameplay and littered with glitches and bugs..... and let's not even get started on the free to play mobile game mechanics they love to implement lately just to shove microtransactions and lootboxes down your throat, and i truly dread TS5 if they truly are planning to make it an MMO.... they destroyed so many great titles trying to turn them into cheap online cashgrabs modelled after mobile app games. i'd pick a game with mobile app graphics but good gameplay over a game with great graphics but gameplay modelled after a mobile app game any day of the week. i despise mobile game monetization, i hate lootboxes and i don't want gambling or pay2win nonsense polluting the Sims as well!
  • Options
    hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    Paralives looks really cool, however, I don't plan on leaving The Sims franchise. I'm one of the few that would be okay with multiplayer [on The Sims 5] as long as it isn't forced.
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    I don‘t remember what I originally voted but now, I don‘t think I will get it. I never really liked the art design of the characters but I was able to tolerate it hoping the gameplay would make up for it. The more I read through their Discord, Reddit, dev chat, etc. the more apparent it is that it will be just another politically correct and woke game, just another happy utopia. This kind of helicopter parent game style has ruined TS4 for me. I’m not going to waste more money for the same experience.

I also don‘t think they will be able to pull off what they‘ve been promising. Most of the promises were made when they were just a small team without any experts in animations, pathfinding, etc. Customization in build mode is great but useless when our characters can’t use them. They already have shown us that they overpromised when they showed us the height slider which is just scaling a character up and down. It‘s like a picture in a Word document that you enlarge or shrink by dragging the corner. They promised a height slider without understanding the human anatomy and form. I‘m sure there will be many more instances where it‘s clear that they‘ve overpromised and can‘t deliver. The reason why they focus on build mode so much is because it‘s the easiest thing to do. This is also the reason why TS4 focuses on build mode so much. I also don’t see the point of focusing so much on build buy in this stage of development. They‘re putting all this time and money into creating objects that they will throw in the trash in a few months as they don‘t fit the current art style anymore. They should do what other game developers do and work with generic white boxes to test animations, pathfinding and to implement gameplay features. They can replace these boxes later on when they settled for an art style… but I suppose this won’t make them go viral on social media = less money. I don‘t want another building simulator that pretends to be a life simulator. Yeah, people talk about all the ideas that the devs have.. but they‘re just that: ideas. Call me when they have successfully implemented them.

I'm starting to lean not getting it either. I voted I didn't want to abandon Maxis but might have to if TS5 is multiplayer. I have been supporting Paralives and I'm not too enthused lately with the work seeming to be all about build mode when I know people desperately want to see some gameplay updates. It's like that great pumpkin story all over again. If I wait long enough I might see the Great Pumpkin. People who support the little indie team want to see gameplay elements. So far there hasn't been anything (shown to Paterons) but more updates to build mode, objects and or particular lots they build. That's all good and fine and sure things needed tweaks etc. however, I think it's about time Paralives shows more than just build mode before some of us start dropping out/opting out of our support for them. Call me jaded already...lol, snake oil.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    hymnhehim wrote: »
    Paralives looks really cool, however, I don't plan on leaving The Sims franchise. I'm one of the few that would be okay with multiplayer [on The Sims 5] as long as it isn't forced.

be very careful with being ok with multiplayer whenever EA is involved! multiplayer equals tons of microtransactions shoved down your throat unless you're ok with a meager experience to EA
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited June 2021
    Other
    Paralives still looks like a tech demo to me.
    It's way too early to tell if it they can even develop a game, let alone produce a quality people simulator.

I am far more interested in what Paradox Tectonic is up to.
    If the leader of The Sims 3 is making a competitor to The Sims, I am in.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's way too early to tell if it they can even develop a game, let alone produce a quality people simulator.

I read what Ron Humble said about how 'in depth' a game should be (several months ago) and I'm not sure he is the guy I want to build a game, when his ideas are not as open-ended, sandbox, and or as linear free as The Sims used to be. He went on and on about this thing leading to that thing and then layers and layers about skills and tasks etc. (my interpretation) that I was thinking..wow, he is still very much a RPG developer and still doesn't understand non linear, no goal, task free type gameplay. No ending/No win type gameplay..I don't think he gets it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @CK213

After your comment I went on a little search of Paradox Tectonic to see what the company was up to and really like the sound of this:

(Rod Humble) "I went to visit [Maxis co-founder and Sims creator] Will Wright. I was taking over his baby, so I wanted to go and kiss the ring. And he’s a great guy, but I asked him what I thought was a smart question, which was, “looking back, what’s the one thing you would take away [from the Sims]? What’s something you regret putting in that wasn’t needed, or the game would be more efficient without?” And he looked at me like [bulldogs do], with this sort of pitying look, and he said “I wouldn’t take anything out. I would add more. More is more.” The idea of taking away gameplay didn’t even occur to him"
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @CK213

After your comment I went on a little search of Paradox Tectonic to see what the company was up to and really like the sound of this:

(Rod Humble) "I went to visit [Maxis co-founder and Sims creator] Will Wright. I was taking over his baby, so I wanted to go and kiss the ring. And he’s a great guy, but I asked him what I thought was a smart question, which was, “looking back, what’s the one thing you would take away [from the Sims]? What’s something you regret putting in that wasn’t needed, or the game would be more efficient without?” And he looked at me like [bulldogs do], with this sort of pitying look, and he said “I wouldn’t take anything out. I would add more. More is more.” The idea of taking away gameplay didn’t even occur to him"

But it occurred to Ron Humble.. to remove gameplay, regret something being added, and or not adding something because the game would be more 'efficient without it'.... There lies the difference of Will Wright's version of The Sims and Ron Humble's vision of what was wrong with The Sims.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I read what Ron Humble said about how 'in depth' a game should be (several months ago) and I'm not sure he is the guy I want to build a game, when his ideas are not as open-ended, sandbox, and or as linear free as The Sims used to be. He went on and on about this thing leading to that thing and then layers and layers about skills and tasks etc. (my interpretation) that I was thinking..wow, he is still very much a RPG developer and still doesn't understand non linear, no goal, task free type gameplay. No ending/No win type gameplay..I don't think he gets it.

The kind of gameplay in TS3 is exactly why I'm happy that Rod Humble is at Paradox Tectonic. TS3 IS an open-ended sandbox game for the most part and made it so customizable in every way. Not just customizing colors and patterns of objects, but also the gameplay itself and edit & create whole worlds to set it up any way you want. He just introduced elements of RPG, but they don't dominate the game - they are merely another tool or function for the TS3 player to use or ignore as they wish! So in TS3, it is however the simmer wants it to be. If you want it to be non-linear, with no goals or task free, no ending or winning - you can do that in TS3 and you won't get penalized for that.

That's how I like to play the game once in a while. Just play it without any goals in mind. I don't always follow the wishes the sims have or the life time goals and it is still a fun game to play!

What Rod Humble said was that the new game will have levels of depth that the player will discover as they play, but that it would be flexible enough that you can play it to what ever depth you want and ignore the rest of it if you don't want it to get too heavy. Just like in TS3.

• Options
    Other

Do you have a link? It doesn‘t sound bad to me at all. „this thing leading to that thing“ sounds like he wants a game where your actions have consequences. This is something that TS4 is missing. Even the dumbest kid can go to university, become a doctor, etc. Getting fired from your job over poor performance is almost impossible. You can fight and insult a sim one second and the next second you‘re giggling together like two best friends.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @CK213

But it occurred to Ron Humble.. to remove gameplay, regret something being added, and or not adding something because the game would be more 'efficient without it'.... There lies the difference of Will Wright's version of The Sims and Ron Humble's vision of what was wrong with The Sims.

EA is what is wrong with the Sims. removing gameplay features just to sell said gameplay features to you later via DLC packs is a typical EA tactic to get more money for basically the original full game.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2021
    Other
    This is an interview with Rod Humble last year about the new game he is working on.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble

Plus.....

Annoying people passing in front of the camera!
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other

Me, too. But the way he was talking a few months ago in an interview I read, I got the impression that we would have started seeing some details leak out by now.

So, I'm not sure what's up with the development of the game, its direction, or even if it's a priority for the company. I hope it is because, for the most part, they do really deep, entertaining stuff. At least after the bugs get worked out and the modders start turning out incredible creations. If this mystery game does get published and does follow the typical path for the company, I can envision some creative total conversion mods in a couple of years.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I don’t think I voted in this, but I am very much on the Paradox Tectonic bandwagon. The company (Paradox Interactive) is known for producing and publishing complex simulation games and that’s all I want out a life sim game. If Paralives and TS5 are too easy because everything is just a dollhouse sandbox like TS4 is, I don’t want either of them. Last spring, Rod Humble said he would be able to talk about the game soon as it wasn’t years away, so I’m hoping we hear something before the year is out.
  • Options
    SimSpock wrote: »

Me, too. But the way he was talking a few months ago in an interview I read, I got the impression that we would have started seeing some details leak out by now.

So, I'm not sure what's up with the development of the game, its direction, or even if it's a priority for the company. I hope it is because, for the most part, they do really deep, entertaining stuff. At least after the bugs get worked out and the modders start turning out incredible creations. If this mystery game does get published and does follow the typical path for the company, I can envision some creative total conversion mods in a couple of years.

I don’t think I voted in this, but I am very much on the Paradox Tectonic bandwagon. The company (Paradox Interactive) is known for producing and publishing complex simulation games and that’s all I want out a life sim game. If Paralives and TS5 are too easy because everything is just a dollhouse sandbox like TS4 is, I don’t want either of them. Last spring, Rod Humble said he would be able to talk about the game soon as it wasn’t years away, so I’m hoping we hear something before the year is out.

I think Covid-19 delayed its progress. But I can see that whatever it is, they're still working on it.

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy I’m sure Covid did delay the progress. But I’m thinking that perhaps before Covid, they were on a track wherein they could talk more about it in a year. So theoretically, they would be talking about it by now. I’m adding the rest of the year as a buffer to account for Covid delays. I’m not expecting the game to be near finished, but considering Paradox announced Victoria 3 last month, and it’s still very much in development, I figured they can also begin talking about their unfinished game at Tectonic.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @CK213

EA is what is wrong with the Sims. removing gameplay features just to sell said gameplay features to you later via DLC packs is a typical EA tactic to get more money for basically the original full game.

You are probably right about that, but it wasn't EA who decided to put emotions on the Sim panel with moodlets and buffs systems. That was probably Humble and the TS3 teams.

It wasn't EA who made TS3 Sims so stoic thus leading to the overly animated TS4 Sims.

TS3 isn't much different than TS4 in that area. (moodlets and buffs) Maxis has stuck with the moodlets and buff systems and just did some shuffling of the nutshells but if anything TS4 is TS3's baby not TS2's since TS2 stuck with the player seeing the emotion and mood of the Sim rather than moodlets or icons and or buffs in a text and or on the Sim panel etc. I'm sorry, but I credit R. Humble for how he changed The Sims forever and not in a good way in my opinion.

One of many buff/moodlet examples: Mary thinks Johnny is being rude....well duh, I can see that in TS2 I have to read that in TS3 and TS4....and so many other nonsensical things about TS3 and TS4 that I already know in the older games.
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    jump ship everyone, this one is going down hard and fast
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    i bet the paralives forum will have the "LOL" reaction back as well. no whiners in there
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    i bet the paralives forum will have the "LOL" reaction back as well. no whiners in there

I think you are wrong. After reading some of the direction they are taking, (warm, fuzzy, comfy game) I think there won't be a LOL nor a Disagree, nor any thing that represents dissent. I will have to find the links to the discussions about what will and won't be in the game and just like Maxis I heard in my head..'not in the spirit of the game' when people asked some questions about game play. I was annoyed. lol
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I will try it if it's not expensive. I'll still love and play the Sims 4 obviously even if I try Paralives.

I don't think Paralives will be released soon though. And I'm not interested in a Sims 5.
  • Options
    Other
    @CK213

You are probably right about that, but it wasn't EA who decided to put emotions on the Sim panel with moodlets and buffs systems. That was probably Humble and the TS3 teams.

It wasn't EA who made TS3 Sims so stoic thus leading to the overly animated TS4 Sims.

TS3 isn't much different than TS4 in that area. (moodlets and buffs) Maxis has stuck with the moodlets and buff systems and just did some shuffling of the nutshells but if anything TS4 is TS3's baby not TS2's since TS2 stuck with the player seeing the emotion and mood of the Sim rather than moodlets or icons and or buffs in a text and or on the Sim panel etc. I'm sorry, but I credit R. Humble for how he changed The Sims forever and not in a good way in my opinion.

One of many buff/moodlet examples: Mary thinks Johnny is being rude....well duh, I can see that in TS2 I have to read that in TS3 and TS4....and so many other nonsensical things about TS3 and TS4 that I already know in the older games.
    You know that Mr. Humble was the head of TS2 too, right? If he changed The Sims franchise for the worse then you wouldn’t speak so highly of TS2.
  • Options
    @CK213

I don't think you fully understand the function of the moodlets and buffs system. In TS3, sims continue to have apparent emotion and mood animations that convey what they are thinking and feeling, just like in TS2.

However, the moodlets and buff system was added so that the icons show you the duration of their effect or mood (how many hours or days the mood or effect lasts) and how much it impacts your sim's well-being (how positive or negative its effect on the sim's overall mood).

About-the-Moodlets-and-Buffs-System.png

I think it was smart of Rod Humble and his devs to include this because it helps to determine in planning what you can do next and when to do it to affect your sims overall mood, whether to improve it or make it worse if you so wish (you can also just entirely ignore it too of course). TS2 has meters, sure, to show the general or average status of the sim for any particular need or wish, but it doesn't have any such indicators.

About Rod Humble speaking of Will Write:

You wrote:

TS3 was built on a completely new game engine, unlike TS2 which was built from TS1's game engine. The concepts put in place in TS3 - the open world system complete with Create-A-World, town dynamics/story progression, and an ever more expanded customization of everything made it a very huge project, so they had to cut certain aspects from it that were in TS2. For example, I can see why they had sims teleport into cars because cars were meant to go anywhere the roads take them, even in areas where it is more cramped. Whereas, in TS2. Cars teleport in and stop in front of the desired lot with no worries about how sims will be able to get out of the car with its animations.

You also have to consider as well, that the extra detailed animations would have increased the RAM size requirement. They wanted to keep it below 4gb.

So while it would have been nice if there were more detailed animations, TS3 actually has a whole lot more amazing gameplay than TS2. And that actually made up above and beyond the loss of the more detailed animations. Rod Humble included what was more important and more impactful - the more meaningful gameplay - rather than just detailed animations. To me that is why you can do so much more in TS3 than in any other The Sims game.

So Rod Humble actually did the Wright thing! <3o:)

By the way, when Rod Humble became CEO of Second Life, did you know that Will Wright also became a member of the Board of Directors for Second Life some months later that same year? I think they're actually friends!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top