Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extreme outfit weirdness?

It's common knowledge by now that automatically generated townies have no sense of style. But in the past few weeks, the outfit weirdness in my game has reached entirely new levels that affect not only townies, but all sims. Yes, I'm using mods, but none that should affect outfits, and before I go on the hunt again just to discover that the issue isn't even mod-related, I'd like to hear if other players have experienced these or similar problems:

* Cross-dressing: When given the choice of what to wear, male sims will almost always opt for women's clothing, even if they're using the default male gender options. I have absolutely no problem with cross-dressers, some of my sims are this by design, but I don't want it for everyone.
* Broken career outfits: If there's a specific outfit sims are supposed to wear for their job, 9 out of 10 times they'll wear something random instead, and the cross-dressing happens here as well. My soldier boy's uniform is currently a long grey dress. It's always the same outfit for as long as they're at the same level of the career, but still not the correct one, and don't even get me started on what my scientists are wearing at work...
* General randomness: Holiday costumes, the hazmat suit and other situational outfits are broken, too. Sims will just slip into something random. This is not just a cosmetic issue either, at least not in StrangerVille, because sims who don't wear the correct hazmat suit can't get through the spore-filled corridor in the lab. I had to download a cc hazmat suit with the same properties as the in-game one to even be able to play StrangerVille again.

I've been looking for outfit mods to fix these problems, but couldn't find anything because Google always assumes I mean cc, so if anyone knows anything that could help, I'd be eternally grateful. Just no MCCC solutions please, I fell for that mod twice, and both times it caused more problems than it solved (kind of like the monthly patches).

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I haven't experienced what you described, and I have a lot of mods and CC. In fact, I use MCCC to avoid such problems (I use its Dresser function to require sims to use saved outfits only). But I understand you don't want to hear that. Sorry I can't be of help, but I do wish you luck in finding the culprit(s). I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Have you tried to remove all your mods folder and see if the problem persists? To me it sounds like a mod related issue.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2021
    I haven't experienced anything like that, it could be a mod or cc issue... make sure that you don't have any outdated mods and clear the localthumbcache file. You can also disable cc clothing for random with sims4studio if you notice cc showing up a lot on townies.

I mostly use MCCC and bienchen's townieoverhaul_lessfame mod to reduce townies being generated.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I haven't experienced what you described, and I have a lot of mods and CC. In fact, I use MCCC to avoid such problems (I use its Dresser function to require sims to use saved outfits only). But I understand you don't want to hear that. Sorry I can't be of help, but I do wish you luck in finding the culprit(s). I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be.
    Thanks anyway! So many players turn to MCCC for so many things, and I wish I could just do that, too, but as I said, it always ruins my game. Too many preset settings that I don't know how to turn off, and before I know it, my unplayed households are overpopulated with unwanted babies that I have to clean up.

crocobaura wrote: »
    Have you tried to remove all your mods folder and see if the problem persists? To me it sounds like a mod related issue.
    That's what I usually do whenever something comes up, and most of the time, the problem persists. That's why I want to see if other players have it, too, before I waste my time yet again, but right now it's not looking good... :(

logion wrote: »
    I haven't experienced anything like that, it could be a mod or cc issue... make sure that you don't have any outdated mods and clear the localthumbcache file. You can also disable cc clothing for random with sims4studio if you notice cc showing up a lot on townies.
    So you're saying the problem could be caused by cc, too, not just mods? That... doesn't make it easier. :D I don't use a lot of mods, but many, many pieces of CAS cc. But good to know, and it would make sense, because the first time I noticed sims wearing random career outfits was shortly after I downloaded some kimonos, and one sim in particular (a professional bodybuilder with mixed gender settings) started wearing those to work rather than the normal bodybuilding outfits. I removed them after we got kimonos in Snowy Escape, but the problem is still there. I'll try deleting the local thumb cache (totally forgot about that), and repairing the game as well when I get home today, and see what happens. If nothing else helps, I may have to make another deal with the Devil (a.k.a. MCCC) after all...
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Mine seen to have an obsession with spawning shoes with swimwear/towels.. I'll find townies at the beach or the spa with their swimwear and combat boots
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited March 2021
    for me there is few outfit issues
    which are that:

1.at least one of the career suits keeps glitching into looking like crop top instead of whatever it is supposed to be

2. every male sim in the game keeps copying my male sims outfit.

even sims i am currently playing keep changing into whatever he is wearing all the time without any player direction.
    its really getting out of hand and if i change that outfit every male in game also changes to new fit
    so it isn't tied to specific outfit its more the fact its my sims everyday wear...

I do think this is get famous related though
    cause that sim is famous
    but i don't think he has any perk that should cause this
    and surely family members at least should not be affected
    iTcawqZ.png
    ... I mean its great look but not everyone should dress in husband material...
    things can get problematic u kno...

3. oh and also yes sims keep taking their shoes off outdoors if you have shoes off sign in house and siiiiigh

don't use any mods or cc so that aint it either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    @Simmingal Do your sim have the Trailblazer Fame Perk? Or is he in the stylist career and have created a style? Both those things can make sims dress like your sim.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    It's common knowledge by now that automatically generated townies have no sense of style. But in the past few weeks, the outfit weirdness in my game has reached entirely new levels that affect not only townies, but all sims. Yes, I'm using mods, but none that should affect outfits, and before I go on the hunt again just to discover that the issue isn't even mod-related, I'd like to hear if other players have experienced these or similar problems:

I use MCCC and have it set to only pull sims from my tray with their clothes and names intact. I populate the tray with my sims. I do not allow the game to generate sims. I use NPCC to assign NPC jobs. This takes care of the generated sims. I have found that recently though, sims that age up sometimes have strange combinations of clothing on. Here's the kicker: I have a ton of CC but because I used The Sims 4 studio to make sure no CC is used on random sims, all these atrocious clothing debacles are the maxis-made outfits! I can't even blame my CC! I wish I understood the dressing algorithm used by the game. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    @Simmingal Do your sim have the Trailblazer Fame Perk? Or is he in the stylist career and have created a style? Both those things can make sims dress like your sim.

no not stylist career i havent ever even played that career

perk im not completely sure will check when i open game next time
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    The Sim wearing a dress in the military career has been reported as a bug. You can click “me too” on the post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-SV-Military-Career-Males-wear-female-dresses-in/td-p/9661516
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I've been noticing male children wearing dresses in the holidays in my game. I do use mods and custom content but I don't think any of them are causing this weirdness. The clothes they are dressed in are in game clothes, not custom content.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Thanks anyway! So many players turn to MCCC for so many things, and I wish I could just do that, too, but as I said, it always ruins my game. Too many preset settings that I don't know how to turn off, and before I know it, my unplayed households are overpopulated with unwanted babies that I have to clean up.

crocobaura wrote: »
    That's what I usually do whenever something comes up, and most of the time, the problem persists. That's why I want to see if other players have it, too, before I waste my time yet again, but right now it's not looking good... :(

So you're saying the problem could be caused by cc, too, not just mods? That... doesn't make it easier. :D I don't use a lot of mods, but many, many pieces of CAS cc. But good to know, and it would make sense, because the first time I noticed sims wearing random career outfits was shortly after I downloaded some kimonos, and one sim in particular (a professional bodybuilder with mixed gender settings) started wearing those to work rather than the normal bodybuilding outfits. I removed them after we got kimonos in Snowy Escape, but the problem is still there. I'll try deleting the local thumb cache (totally forgot about that), and repairing the game as well when I get home today, and see what happens. If nothing else helps, I may have to make another deal with the Devil (a.k.a. MCCC) after all...

Do you use Sims 4 Studio at all? Sometimes CC is set to be able to appear randomly when you don't want it to (case in point: a bunch of sims started walking around in fur outfits that I downloaded for a prehistoric save). I believe there's a general setting that disallows all cc from being used at random, and you can also go through your CC piece by piece and set options for individual pieces. The drawback of course is it won't change anything your NPCs are already wearing. Someone more familiar with S4S or someone on their site could give you more information about how that works and what you can do with the different settings. S4S is a utility you run outside the game so it doesn't affect anything in your actual gameplay unless you intend it. Maxis supposedly fixed the random crazy outfit problem in a patch, and while I wouldn't call it gone, I've noticed a lot fewer completely bizarre outfits showing up in game unless they were miscategorized CC.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »

no not stylist career i havent ever even played that career

perk im not completely sure will check when i open game next time
    Let us know what you found out. The same thing also happened to one of my sims a while ago, people suddenly started wearing his jacket, but he was famous, so I blamed it on that.

Kita5399 wrote: »
    The Sim wearing a dress in the military career has been reported as a bug. You can click “me too” on the post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-SV-Military-Career-Males-wear-female-dresses-in/td-p/9661516
    Thanks for the link! I did.

Do you use Sims 4 Studio at all? Sometimes CC is set to be able to appear randomly when you don't want it to (case in point: a bunch of sims started walking around in fur outfits that I downloaded for a prehistoric save). I believe there's a general setting that disallows all cc from being used at random, and you can also go through your CC piece by piece and set options for individual pieces. The drawback of course is it won't change anything your NPCs are already wearing. Someone more familiar with S4S or someone on their site could give you more information about how that works and what you can do with the different settings. S4S is a utility you run outside the game so it doesn't affect anything in your actual gameplay unless you intend it. Maxis supposedly fixed the random crazy outfit problem in a patch, and while I wouldn't call it gone, I've noticed a lot fewer completely bizarre outfits showing up in game unless they were miscategorized CC.

I do use Sims 4 Studio, I make my own cc as well, and it annoys the heck out of me when people create some really out there clothing and enable it for random and/or don't put it in the right category. Since the game seems to prefer cc when putting together those clown outfits for townies to wear, things can turn bizarre rather quickly. I once had a situation where everybody was running around casually with swords, shotguns and other weapons.

That said, I forgot that you could use S4S to disable cc for randoms, but that's what I did now, I also repaired my game (which took foreeeever) and deleted the cache files. I'll see how it goes from now on, just started my game again, nothing weird so far, but my scientist has a promotion around the corner, so let's wait and see...

Thank you all for participating in this thread! We may not all encounter the same problems, but I think it's safe to say that something is wrong with the clothes in this game...
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I have noticed that toddlers wear shoes in the tub now, alien toddlers legs are cut off is they do not have shoes on, and work outfits are messed up. I do not use CC and only have a mod to stop sims from being so mean to pets and a mod that adds whims.