Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, why don't you like Europe so much?

Comments

• EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I like a lot of the American worlds but i do hope they add more worlds inspired by different locations, like Greece or Italy or Scotland as suggested in that poll a while back.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I agree with everything you said, thanky You for that.
    Except 6, not important for me at all.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    I don’t think they hate Europe, they just make places and objects that look like those they see and use.
    For instance If the game was made in France, you’d have dust sheep instead of bunnies because that’s what they’re called here.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    On the first point I looked into it a while ago the price being higher is just down to VAT on games being much higher in Europe than the States. VAT in America is around 10%, whilst in Europe it's 17% in the lowest countries.
    The average VAT rate of the European countries covered is 21.3 percent

With regards to other countries, Canadian players are not being overcharged and never have been, they're charging the fair exchange rate. It's the same price as your American peers are paying, packs are just that expensive for everyone. :s

With the rest of it yeah I wish we saw more non-American inspired things in the game, especially with regards to worlds. For context this is a quick map with all the Sims 4 worlds and the location they're based on and.. it's not great.

map.png
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    There's nothing regarding Africa.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    Thank you @Sthenastia for bringing this up. Maxis/EA say they want that every player have the chance to feel represent with their life in the game, that they are inclusive, obviously it's only valid for USA.

There are so many things which I miss, simple things, like windows, normal white curtains, dressers, european kitchens, furnitures, sometimes food, holiday traditions and heritage clothes. And I want to mention I can't see the fake american houses and american apartments anymore. That's I want to have a world Editor more than ever.

I don't feel represented at all in my gameplay, the normal jobs and careers who are exist around me aren't at all in the game, we have a different education and school system (okay tbf the last I don’t want to have in my game, it's highly unequal). Not the hair colours and they didn't even mentioned the problems with the white skintones, it's all good enough for them.

I know hundred of different countries want to have their life represented too, and that they can't do everything. But and this is my personal opinion they could do at least do a little bit more effort to make the european players not feel as stupid cash cows, being told that they are belong to the western world, but have not the things in there we are used to know, and that we should be happy and shut up our mouths, because other region aren't represented too.

Thanks.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I need world with riviera, monuments and remains and sculptures, taiga, tundra, fjords, windmills, the oldest clock, narrowest streets, trams, bikes, canals...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    It has never really bothered me because I have always felt that the sims world is kinda centered around america and being a parody of the american lifestyle.

Kinda like how the Fallout and Grand Theft Auto games are a parody of the american lifestyle and consumerism.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited March 2021
    For an American game based on the American lifestyle TS4 has been doing pretty OK representing aesthetics from other areas in the world. It can always do better, absolutely, but if one area other than America is quite prominent in the sims, I feel it’s Europe.

I’m from the Western edge of Europe and I’ve visited places on the continent that look very much or almost exactly like Windenburg, Britechester, Forgotten Hollow, Evergreen Harbor or even Glimmerbrook.
    I’d like to see more Nordic, Celtic, Mediterranean and Eastern aesthetics in the game, but there are other worlds that I feel are completely missing, like Africa, Australia, or Antarctica.

Also, we do not need a perfect representation of all world cultures in a fantasy game. Usually nothing good comes from that . People start to nitpick and argue and it causes nothing but headaches and interesting gameplay elements to be completely nerfed. We’ve all experienced that with Snowy Escape and its incredibly tiresome.

I’d much rather The Sims explore its own lore, inspired by cultures and different landscapes in our world, but not representing any of them.
    If they do that, perhaps one day our sims can actually live on Sixam.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    The sims 4 is very American, more so than the previous iterations. They felt a bit more generic in my opinion. But it is an American game created in America so I think that is the reason why. I don't think they particularly hate Europe.

One of the things I miss most are towns with house built against each other. Semi detached houses or terraced houses would be very welcome.
    And also regular built in fridges with a door that matches the kitchen cupboards. I only know very few people in real life with a fridge that is not built in and those are all a deliberate choice to have the fridge as an eye catcher.
    But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. :)
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Can you imagine the flack EA would get if they lumped all european countries together and made that a pack lmao.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Europe is not land of white upper-middle class people who say "Ja" and wear clogs. (looking at u Windenburg)

All regions are different, and some individual countries can be EXTREMELY isolated in their coulture so it would be impossible to cater to everyone.

Me, being from finland, I'd love to see proper saunas, nordic elves (something between a fairy & leprechaum), nordic trolls (cute forest creatures with a cows tail & usually long manes), the inclusion downy birch forested areas, etc etc.

I understand however, that literally nobody else cares about all that.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    Tantalus wrote: »
    Are you serious? do you realize there are million items that are non existent in-game but they are in real life? many items we miss but they never were added because the items you find in the game are rather symbolic.

@Tantalus Oh yeah? Say that to Snowy Escape...

To be fair, Snowy Escape is just an Americanized Japan lol

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

And Australia!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Don't forget the American perception of Transylvania.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    And Sulani is also very American. (Hawaii anyone?) Basically all of the cultural scenes in this game are Americanised.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    Well maybe you Europeans should spend more money and Poppa EA will throw you a bone!

I'm kidding by the way.....but at the same time I'm not because it would probably solve all your problems if more Europeans gave EA money for no reason.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Can you imagine the flack EA would get if they lumped all european countries together and made that a pack lmao.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Europe is not land of white upper-middle class people who say "Ja" and wear clogs. (looking at u Windenburg)

All regions are different, and some individual countries can be EXTREMELY isolated in their coulture so it would be impossible to cater to everyone.

Me, being from finland, I'd love to see proper saunas, nordic elves (something between a fairy & leprechaum), nordic trolls (cute forest creatures with a cows tail & usually long manes), the inclusion downy birch forested areas, etc etc.

I understand however, that literally nobody else cares about all that.

I agree with you I’m from the uk and every country in Europe has its own culture and identify that a general pack would never be able to cover. To add to this I strongly suspect when most people think of Europe they think of Western Europe and not Eastern Europe and the former soviet states. What you say about Finland I would love in a sims pack. I would love to visit Finland one day.
    Bruh I just had an epiphany. A way to appease all european countries at the same time and generate foreign interest.

AN EUROVISION PACK.

Oh my god I would love it and it would also be good content for your drag queens :D:D:D
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2021
    I imagine American suburbia is a lot easier to model than "Old World" urbanism -- and frankly, more appealing for most players who want open lots to build on, rather than a small apartment to decorate.

I mean American suburbia is... easy. It's basically just flat lawns, no features and cloned houses with or without a pool.
    Even the definition of "Suburb" differs in other countries. In Sweden most "Suburbs" are actually not single family houses but low level (2-5 floors) apartment buildings, basically small towns by American way of defining things.
    (To be clear here I love American mid century housing, hence my love for Oasis Springs).

As for education system I kind of get it; if University was free, American players would complain because it was unrealistic to them.

When it comes to appliances American style vacuum cleaners are just abut a gazillion percent easier to animate. Having to animate an european style vacuum cleaner would be a nightmare. Having to calculate exactly how the vacuum would roll behind you as you work would be hard, indeed.

That said I am bored with American worlds in general. I would love another internationally based world, be it Africa, Europe, China or South America doesn't matter. Just not another American one, please.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I thought Windenburg is supposed to be a European-inspired neighborhood?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    The sims 4 is very American, more so than the previous iterations.

I've noticed this as well, in the past games most of the worlds had a very Scandinavian look to them. For example this is a place in Denmark and this is basically how half of the Sims 2 and 3 worlds look....

Porkeri.2.2002.jpg
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I thought Windenburg is supposed to be a European-inspired neighborhood?

It only applies to like, one 20th of europe.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

And Australia!

Apparently, Australia doesn't exist.
    We're all just actors here. or something.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I’m not sure about the hate sentiment from the EA. I can also suggest that there is even less representative of my culture, but I don’t see it as a hate, but more on less information or understanding. Not only the developer, but literally anyone can be unfamiliar with other cultures if they aren’t exposed to it.

FYI, other countries always pay more to some extend, which is not only due to the currency exchange rate but also the tax. I paid the tax for this game. Regional pricing is dependent on a lot of factors, including buying power regionally, local retailers, cost of living, etc. I used to pay for twice exchange rate + tax. Recently, the Origin just updated that I can now pay in my own currency + tax (trust me, not everyone aware of this changes unless you’re heavily affected by it for a long time).
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Don't forget the American perception of Transylvania.

Ha! Thank you! As a romanian, I must say there are no vampires in our mythology.

They can't represent all countries and all cultures in the game and I don't think they should even try. Also, it's a fantasy game and representing a culture to the letter might actually ruin it. I want to play a fun game, not an antropology simulation. I, personally, do not feel the need to be represented in the game. Sure, it would be cool to see a bit of Eastern European inspired packs, but I don't feel that they are missing.