Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What sized homes do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Other:
    I like to have variety for my families. Don't really like big houses though.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Two story
    My 69 households live in all kinds of buildings, but my favourites are small two-story houses, with the living room, kitchen/dining area and a small bathroom downstairs, bedrooms and possibly more bathrooms upstairs. A bungalow is also nice as long as it's not too big; nothing looks weirder than a one-story house that takes up half a square kilometre of space.

I would enjoy apartments more if we could build our own and most of them weren't in my least favourite world. What I don't like at all is huge modern homes with an open floor plan. Apart from not knowing what to do with all that space, I'm just not into the big warehouse vibe.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Other:
    Mainly one story or two story, I guess. Sometimes a basement is fun to have and sometimes I like to have a larger mansion. I dislike cramped homes, but in the end it depends on the family's needs, the layout and furnishings.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    Two story
    For gameplay I prefer bigger homes, it's nice to be able to pan around the house rather than just having the whole thing in one small place. For building I usually either make apartments or tiny homes just as they're easier and more my style.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Other:
    It entirely depends on the household and the story that I’m telling.
    I have many story saves and I rarely play rotationally within those saves; more often than not I just explore the story with one sim per save.

A lot of the time I play with “homeless” adventurous sims: basically a dude who makes some friends and stays in their house for a couple of nights, has a couple of adventures, then moves on to the next town for some new adventures. Or he sleeps on a bench in the park.
    Usually he “owns” a tiny empty lot in Newcrest, because as a player I’m forced to assign a lot to my active sim, but I pretend it doesn’t exist. I ignore the bill when it arrives. The company cutting off the power and water supply doesn’t make any difference to my sim. Not that the empty lot uses water or electricity.

Other times the sims reside in a dingy apartment, or in a shed. Or in a huge family mansion, or castle.

Again, I have no preference, as long as the lot suits the story. Therefore I build my own story lots or re-decorate an apartment whenever the household requires one.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Three Story
    I usually play in a very large house on a 64x64 lot. I like to play families with 6 or more kids and I want them to have enough space
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Other:
    All depends on the size of the household, how i plan to manage the household over the duration and the size of the lot.

Typically however i go for two floors and a basement floor on bigger lots of 40x40 and higher. I've managed to perfect a means at saving space while getting everything i want in place, but i also leave room for expansion if and when needed. If i want a swimming pool but lack space on the ground floor i can move it to a first or second floor basement, or set it up on the 4th floor and having to work around what space is left on the 3rd floor.

On smaller lots from 30x20 to 40x30, i typically go for two floors and two basement floors. With lots smaller than 20x20, it's all about space management while making it look like you still have space in each room, that might mean 3 or 4 floors and 2 or 3 basement floors, possibly even 4 basement floors.

it's fun to challenge yourself, especially on smaller lots to come up with something imaginative.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    edited March 2021
    Other:
    Large. I can't stand houses wherein any knick-knacks placed make the room look cluttered, or that my Sim has to clip their way through the fireplace or some other such painful-to-watch surface just to get to the other side. I also prefer at least a two-story lot, sometimes a three-story, if it makes sense for the additional floor.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    Max 2 floors + basement. Its also more about the size of the property, as I also need a fairly large greenhouse with room for one of each plant.

I have recently begun to use magazines that offer floorplans again. Since we don't have cars, I am turning the garage portion of the houses into green houses. It's not all that hard, actually, and if you have a two-story, you don't have to make the garage as tall as the rest of the house. Just put windows on the exposed walls and turn the roof into a glass one. Voila. Saves space on those smaller lots. ;)
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    One story
    I prefer to play on a single floor to better keep an eye on my sims. I also really like making houses as small as possible, but I inevitably end up expanding them as the family's needs change.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    Other:
    What's all this talk about stairs being bugged? My stairs aren't bugged. And I will use double-wide in many instances. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    Other:
    Depends on the game I play but I always end up on a 64x64 lot after a few generations!
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    One story
    I use all different homes, but prefer single story simply because it’s easier to control multiple Sims that way.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Two story
    I like big lots, and I can not lie. ;D

I prefer houses large enough not to feel cramped when furnished. If the lot is large enough I don't have to build up or down so many floors.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Other:
    I like apartments and up to 2 stories, I like small and medium size, homes too big is a pain 😂
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Other:
    I honestly have no preference. I usually bulldoze the apartment or lot and rebuild the layout or build a home or mansion on the lot. I usually start my sims out in an apartment if they are a 1 sim or 2 sim household.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    PennyDreadPriestessPennyDreadPriestess Posts: 267 Member
    One story
    whilst I prefer single storey, if space is a bit cramped (due to being a small lot or whatever), I'd rather add an extra level. I am NOT a fan of the whole tiny home thing, except when starting out.

I've been using basements a bit in recent times, so you can always get that extra space by going down rather than up!
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Other:
    It really depends on the size of the family, but the biggest I've made was 2 stories with 6 rooms in total.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Other:
    Stories don't matter, you can get as much space in a sprawling ranch as you can in a three story townhome. All that matters is that it can comfortably house whatever size household I'm playing at the moment.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other:
    I think I play medium sized homes, or prefer them. But I do have sims living in large houses or smaller homes. Sims do take forever to climb stairs so having the house laid out strategically is a must. But not always done...really. So yes, medium sized houses, 1 or 2 stories is what I like. I do like a good basement though.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    One story
    I like really cramped two story box houses but that wasn't an option XD
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Two story
    I love huge mansions, but I like to build outward rather than upward. It's bad enough that Sims take 15 minutes to walk across the house. Put their bedroom on a third floor and the work day will be half over before they get outside.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    Two story
    I chose 2 story since that is my favorite type of house, but it's not the only type I use. My single/couple sims start out in a small starter home somewhere, usually Willow Creek or one of its "suburbs" (Magnolia Promenade or Newcrest). I never use money cheats, so they have to work hard to move up to that 2 story family home. I used to put them in an apartment to start with, but I have too many problems with them so it's not worth it to fool with them anymore.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Other:
    Five story. I like big families.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    edited March 2021
    Other:
    I make all kinds of homes. I have a small 3 floors down (1 main floor & 2 basements) in my Doctor Who TARDIS.
    I also have made some towers based on Rapunzel's tower, a Lighthouse & a Spaceship.
    Furthermore, I've made Cottages, Cabins, Domes, Underground Bunkers, Small Ice Palaces, an Underwater home with the kitchen being on the land part. I usually prefer cozy floors.
    I never seem to know what to do with extra space after I have made the Kitchen, Dining Rm., Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Living Rm., Music/Art Rm., Meditation/Medium Rm. & Study. That's why I stick to small floors.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Three Story
    Large. I can't stand houses wherein any knick-knacks placed make the room look cluttered, or that my Sim has to clip their way through the fireplace or some other such painful-to-watch surface just to get to the other side. I also preferred at least a two-story lot, sometimes a three-story, if it makes sense for the additional floor.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    Max 2 floors + basement. Its also more about the size of the property, as I also need a fairly large greenhouse with room for one of each plant.

I have recently begun to use magazines that offer floorplans again. Since we don't have cars, I am turning the garage portion of the houses into green houses. It's not all that hard, actually, and if you have a two-story, you don't have to make the garage as tall as the rest of the house. Just put windows on the exposed walls and turn the roof into a glass one. Voila. Saves space on those smaller lots. ;)

I've built houses that we had on our old TS1 fansite, and they all had garages. Whenever I use one of those builds, I also turn those into greenhouses. There's really not much else to do with them. Ok, maybe a home gym or room for painting/music.

I've built small, but can't have my sims live in those tiny homes. There's not enough space for everything they need :D