Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim State - The Sims 3 Open For Business Mini Expansion - Launch Trailer Available Now!

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    This lookjs awesome. I have a question. Are sims able to have a business on their home lot?

When the bakery set was released I made some bakeries with living quarters above the bakery. But it never worked nicely. Id love to find a mod that would let me use those builds as I had hoped at tyye time I built them.

ThE way I use bakeries and savvy seller now is to place them in the world and rely on cupcake mod tto keep the bakery stocked. My sims never own or run the business. They just shop at the businesses like the townies do.
  • timecatchertimecatcher Posts: 387 Member
    Hey thanks for your comments! At present the mod supports any object that has a 'base price' on it. I don't own that set but if bakery items by default have a price (if you sell them in inventory), then in theory they SHOULD work but I can't confirm that at this moment. For now the main focus of the mod has been buy mode but items such as harvestables etc can be sold, but some things don't restock as you'd expect unfortunately so still looking into supporting more objects :). If the mod does well and I get to that point I would like to explore different business types for the future like restaurants etc But you can certainly set a business up with one sim and run it with another :). Hope that helps a little... sorry for the long reply lol.

TLDR: Maybe, it will be a case of testing if it works and I can look into making it work better :P
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    I'm so excited for this. It'll make my game have even more realism.

Also, if it helps you any, there's sort of a taxation mod out there already- it's manually ran but might help? https://www.nraas.net/community/Tax-Collector
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
    Thanks for the suggestion, I actually already have that mod downloaded as a reference! The system I'll be using will be a little different though so players will be able to pick and choose what works best for their games. :)
    edited March 2021
    The cupcake mod restocks each night. Or you can have your sim do the baking. A genie does it well by summoning the food. There is a bakery oven in the set.

There are a couple of types bakery shelves. I can’t remember if you have to have savvy seller mats or not but I think you do.

Sims either buy from the bakery register if there is a sales person tending the register. Or they can just swipe at the item they want. Simoleans float up and the item appears in the sims inventory. Sims can the eat whatever it is they just purchased.

That all works well enough already. My issue is the bakery works on a community lot. Sims don’t live on a community lot. I was trying to have a private residence on the bakery lot. I was wondering if your new mod would be able to overcome this issue.

If you have Into the Future the fridge spawns a waiter if it’s placed on a community lot. The waiter takes orders from sims and serves them and the sims pay. This all seems to me to work better and more seamlessly than the chef and menu and oven that comes with the restaurant set.

I make videos and I just recorded sims visiting a bakery. They buy and eat items from the bakery and have a meal served by the waiter from into the future.
    edited March 2021
    It's morning now at my place and I have my PC on. I am recording more for my next video but I thought I'd get a few pics of what I was talking about in my previous post which was done on my tablet.

The first two pics are in the main part of the bakery. It was about midnight in the game so the register attendant was absent and there were no customers other than my two sims who I sent there just to get these pics.

As you can see in the first pic, there are two different types of bakery shelves. One is enclosed with a glass cover and the other is tall and on wheels. I see both are on recoloured savvy seller mats. The buying process seems to work the same as savvy seller. There are decor items on top of the shelves as well as food. The cakes you can see on top are food placed there by cupcake for example.

Bakery001.jpg
    I sent them to buy a piece of banana cream pie and this time it didn't go into their inventories. They each had a plate of pie in their hand and they went to separate tables to eat it. I only show you one of them eating their pie. I have an idea the baked goods do vanish from the shelves but a single slice of pie didn't make any perceivable difference.

The cash register is visible in this pic.
    Bakery002.jpg

One problem is customers go behind the counter and this irritates a lot of people.

I have the barrier to entry gate set up to keep customers/visitors to the lot away from behind the counter. The barrier to entry comes with the cinema venue. Le Cinema Plumbob.
    Bakery009.jpg

The barrier to entry gate/door works well if my sims own the bakery as I can specify who can get behind the counter. But in this instance my sims are on vacation and I don't want them to own the bakery. I wanted a sim to tend the cash register and I was able to hire an attendant but when he turned up for work he couldn't get through the barrier to entry gate. I finally managed to get him there by choosing to allow anyone teen and above to get through. So then I had customers streaming behind the counter instead of buying from the baked goods in the shelves.

I got each of my couple to buy a slice of pie from the bakery shelves. Here is one of them eating her pie. They didn't sit together and I didn't worry about getting a pic of each of them.
    Bakery008.jpg

The kitchen is accessible through the door behind the counter. Because the barrier to entry now lets anyone, teen or older, through my sim headed straight for the kitchen. I thought I'd show you a pic of the stove the sims can use to stock the shelves. This would work well if there was a tiny bakery with only one or two shelves. Problem is all food on the shelves is deleted during the night leaving the bakery in need of fresh food each morning. This makes for a lot of hard work. Your sim would need to work all day filling the shelves and you have to go into buy mode each time to add food to the shelves with the glass front. NRAAS fixed this by making Cupcake mod. It restocks the bakery after the food has been deleted. A genie can summon food quicker than a sim using the over to bake everything. Cupcake is instant. The stove is nice to have if you want to place it in the sim's home and they can bake a cake or whatever they like for the family.

Bakery003.jpg

=======================

Now this is in my bakery build, but the Food Synthesiser came with Into the Future Expansion. The blackboards you see on the walls came with the bakery venue.

In the first pic you see my sims sitting at a table ordering their dinner. I clicked onto the table top for each of them. You can probably get the menu up other ways. I haven't used any of this for ages. But I find the Food Synthesiser the easiest to use. I didn't include the bistro oven in this but I do use it in other builds. I usually turn up at a venue with hungry sims and then remember to hire a chef who will show up next shift.

There is no need to hire a waiter or set up a menu for the food synthesiser. The waiter appears when you place the food synthesiser on a community lot. It is found in the fridge section of buy mode.
    Bakery004.jpg

In this pic the waiter has taken the order and has gone to the food synthesiser to get the food they ordered.
    Bakery005.jpg

The waiter returns to the table - he stands back a bit - and bows and the food appears on the table in front of the sim.
    Bakery006.jpg

Eating their dinner.
    Bakery007.jpg

While they were eating their dinner the waiter had a little adventure. He walked around the bakery and bowed an nothing apparent a few times, then made his way up to the residence I made above the bakery and bowed at a vase of sunflowers before returning to the area near his food synthesiser.

=================

The issues for me are them not being able to live above the bakery. And it's not easy to get customers to come to a residential lot to buy from the bakery.

Making it possible to run a business on a residential lot would hopefully fix that. I did use a mod once to attract customers to another bakery I built and I obviously didn't set it up properly as the entire town turned up and there was a massive traffic jam. It took hours to get all of the sims to go home as I had a huge population of sims in that world.

If the business is on a residential lot the food synthesiser wouldn't make a waiter as that only happens on a community lot.

It would be nice to be able to set a specific sim to get through the barrier to entry if your sim doesn't own the bakery. This way I could have allowed only the register attendant to get through instead of allowing all of the sims teen and above.

With the barrier to entry working the customers gather in the correct location and buy from the shelves. Without the barrier to entry the customers mostly move behind the counter and into the kitchen and then upstairs to the residence where they make themselves at home and generally are a nuisance and buy nothing much.

I don't know if you can do anything to solve any of these issues or if you would want to. I just thought I'd give you as much info as I can so you can have a few ideas.

So that's it from me. Now you know more about what I was talking about.
  • KkffooKkffoo Posts: 51 Member
    @timecatcher
    I've been following this on youtube and twitter but missed this thread!
    As I play in a rotational way I would love the ability to toggle whether non active sims get purchases into their inventories (as you mentioned earlier)
    Will it be possible to sell paintings or sim written books?
    Good afternoon, sorry for the late reply! First of all @Kkffoo thanks for your comment, in the future I'd like to add settings for people to toggle various options but at present its not yet implemented. :) Paintings can be sold, I may have to look into books but they have seperate settings so while they make techincally work, they may not restock correctly/at all. Not on my top priority list right now to be honest but something I may look into in the future.

@Karritz I read your whole post, just took a while :P. Sim State WILL allow business to be started on residential lots and it has its own 'customer pull' system built in so depending on your business rank (gained by selling things etc) you will get more customers. Customers come during opening times and in random increments up to a 'customer max' value. The amount of sims on the lot ignores household members and employees (another topic lol). Currently the increments in customer amounts are as follows: (Rank 1: 5, Rank 2: 6 etc up to Rank 5). If you use the mod to set things for sale then those objects can only be purchased not used (unless set not for sale), this helps if you set an area as a 'store' location with doors/barrier to entry etc as any object set for sale will not have sims randomly using it.

Specifically commenting on Bakery items I honestly don't know at present as I don't have that store content item yet to test! Some people have been testing but not sure if works exactly as you'd want. The 3am reset isn't something SS fixes I'm afraid!

Ongoing work in progress anyhow so this may all change, thanks for your comments!

Timecatcher, SSD. :D
    @timecatcher thanks for your comments. I think the buying and selling part of the bakery works well enough as is. The cupcake mod restocks so it would be good if anything you come up with is compatible with the cupcake mod if you don't have a restock option in your new mod.

Yup I don't think my mod will conflict wth Cupcake but you may have to set for sale via the normal method not the mod :)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I'm presuming that this is a stand-alone mod that doesn't require the use of Savvy Seller's Collection (from the Sims 3 Store) or any of these other mods? Because this is quite interesting and would really add a lot to the gameplay.

Good luck with it @timecatcher ,
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited March 2021
    just chiming in here I also use NRASS cupcake mod and don't think i could do without it if it's possible it could be included or made compatible with your own mod?
    Yup to clarify the mod won't conflict with Cupcake as far as I know! Different systems so you can use which ever or both, the functionality of that mod should work fine with Sim State. And yes @Nikkei_Simmer no Savvy Seller is required, just the expansion packs. ;)
    Thank you @timecatcher

for that further information and timely update :)
    edited March 2021
    Yup I don't think my mod will conflict wth Cupcake but you may have to set for sale via the normal method not the mod :)

That sounds easy. The normal method to set for sale is to add the savvy seller rugs. The register can be used as well if desired but from the user point of view it all appears to work just like savvy seller. Therefore, I hope it doesn't conflict with Savvy Seller as the Savvy Seller rugs is what makes the baked goods sellable.
    For future questions lol: I don't think my mod should conflict with any other mod directly, as my mod 'adds interactions' it doesn't touch other mods, so almost every mod should be fine, but it will be a case of try it and see. :)
  • BrietishaBrietisha Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes! This looks exciting. Ever since I could own a bakery in the sims 2 I've loved playing with in home businesses. Good luck and great Job!
    @timecatcher

Thank you for keeping us all updated much appreciated :)
    edited April 2021
    @SPARKY1922 No worries :), here's the new video finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91u16FTWaII

Hoping to just finish up a few bits with the business basics/testing then I'll work on adding Sim State ID (Citizenship & Bank Accounts/Debt Management), afterthat it should just be a case of polishing features and releasing it on Mod The Sims.

Thanks for the support!
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    @timecatcher - I like the new logo. I have been watching your YouTube videos and I am excited to be use your mod.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    Hi @timecatcher

First of all i am truly sorry you are going through some tough times in your personal life and I hope they get resolved as quickly as possible for you.

Finally I got time to sit down and watch your video and I am loving what I am seeing :) You covered a little of a new question I had formulated earlier which was about the way sims 2 businesses behave. I love opening businesses in sims 2 and then go to play non business sims who then visit these businesses run by my other sims where i get a kick out of watching them-) I am hoping something like this is possible and believe it might be from what you mentioned in the video? plus would it also be possible to play a business owner that does not have to visit their workplace too much as you mentioned a higher ranking manager can appoint another one and they can then run the business? I hope that can work too. I love the new logo and wanted to thank you again for making S3 players such an awesome mod :)
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    ... I love opening businesses in sims 2 and then go to play non business sims who then visit these businesses run by my other sims where i get a kick out of watching them-)

@SPARKY1922 - While I have not run a business in Sims 2 for a long time, I never thought to have a non business sim visit my other sim's business. I will have to dig out an old save and try it out.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    @Me1620

I got the idea watching some youtube videos when I first started playing 2 a couple of years back and the idea came from gameplay where sims were only allowed to own what they actually shopped for so I set out setting up various businesses and played like that for a little while and grew to really like playing that way. I hope you have fun maybe re visiting an idea in s2 you may have forgotten :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top