Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should console Sims games return to original storylines?

The Sims series before had original storylines for the console versions. There are were also many spin offs, either. Urbz, Castaway My Sims, Medieval etc are spin offs, but for The Sims 2 the console versions had their own game going on without being considered a spin off.

The Sims 2 DS

You started off as a sim in Strangetown. You had to build up a run down hotel and solve the problems for people in the neighborhood. You could not have your own career, sim family, have multiple sims etc. Although it did come with a CAS, It had a story with various bosses and minigames.

CAS.png?resize=768%2C384
Sims_2_-_2005_-_Electronic_Arts.jpg

The Sims 2 PSP

This also had a CAS but a story-driven game with minigames, quests, and set in Strangetown with mysteries to solve.
170756-the-sims-2-psp-back-cover.jpg
mLUdQJwc5MIJuAlwHT6YF3kZDZ2Mpk7DyNaOXw7paZZE4Rcgv5wZnXu0JcBsuNYXR6uNRUbnVWY4R135l8nTGxjnZ3xyULjqrC5ZXbKA4HHzbcY-_WT5NGR5XA

The Sims 2 GBA

Similar to the Sims 2 DS (Reoccuring characters) but once again an original story mode with questing and minigames.
Game-Boy-Advance-Hidden-Gems-The-Sims-2-GBA.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370

The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Should console Sims games return to original storylines? 15 votes

The Sims should staying making console ports that are as similar to PC versions best as technology allows
66%
Paulmarch76calipossRavenSpitNikkihReaganboganSayNoToGnomesfae_brassStephenJHollowayLaxPhoenixNoobplayerspt 10 votes
The Sims should return to making original stories for console ports
33%
angeljsDevSims91sikasika18eternalrainnCalico45 5 votes

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I do absolutely understand that some people prefer console and want PC ports to it. I have my own preferences for which games I like on PC versus console (generally, anything point and click or menu/keyboard extensive I want on the PC). And in that respect, the people telling me to just pair a controller to my PC for the ones I do not simply do not get that controller support does not always cut it.

However, I truly loved the old console spin offs. I nearly had them all in the Sims 2 era. I gave them a fair try in the Sims 3 era (though several were the stepping stone to the straight PC port). The controls and gameplay I always felt suited console, because it was the Sims but meeting all the criteria for me to want it on console (more of a Sims RPG sort of thing, you were or possessed the Sims and you controlled them rather than merely directing).

As it stands now, I have absolutely no reason to have anything Sims on console. I do not need two of the same game, and it is a shame those creative ideas like the Urbz or the specific setting games like Castaway had to die for a port.
  • GenkiderGenkider Posts: 70 Member
    Why not both? Normal ports for powerful consoles (ps4/xbox one) and story-driven/pseudo spin-off games for handheld devices or less powerful consoles (*cough* switch *cough*) which couldn't handle a port of the pc version anyway.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Genkider wrote: »
    Why not both? Normal ports for powerful consoles (ps4/xbox one) and story-driven/pseudo spin-off games for handheld devices or less powerful consoles (*cough* switch *cough*) which couldn't handle a port of the pc version anyway.

I wish theyd still do both! Seems like they stopped doing any spin offs after TS3. My sims, castaway, medieval, sims life stories. Gone but not forgotten :'(
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • LaxPhoenixLaxPhoenix Posts: 13 New Member
    The Sims should staying making console ports that are as similar to PC versions best as technology allows
    I personally think that the idea seems pretty cool for a practically unique game for separate consoles, but I feel like I would feel left out watching a lot of people playing with families or building cool builds while I'm playing something different, yet similar. I can't speak for everyone though, and I can understand where others are coming from, but I personally would prefer if they stayed with similar game-play.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I loved StrangerVille because of the storyline aspect, it reminded me of Bustin' Out and The Sims 2 on PS2. I wish there were more packs like this :'(
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited March 2021
    Genkider wrote: »

I'd happily accept both, but EA seems to think it is a one to one since there have been no spin off during the Sims 4 port era.

Beyond mobile, of course, but I really do not consider those consoles or ports. Mobile is always it's own sort of thing.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I would definitely get behind spin offs, I miss those guys, I know we have mobile but it's not the same lol
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited March 2021
    Never played Sims on any handheld console, only PS2, Xbox 360 and now XB1.
    Though there were certain interesting parts to storyline play, I absolutely prefer the sandbox style of the game now and that it is just like the PC version.
    Besides there are enough other games out there with (semi-) storyline play, dont need the Sims for that.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• angeljsangeljs Posts: 12 New Member
    I've played Sims Medieval and Sims 2 Castaway on both PC and PS2. I loved the different Castaway versions and would love to see something similar for Sims 4.
  • StephenJHollowayStephenJHolloway Posts: 71 Member
    I loved the story type console games alot, I played all but castaway. I did play castaway on pc though along with the other Sims stories games. I love that we have the OG pc game on console though too. The Sims 3 on console was similar to the pc game if not in some ways slightly better gameplay wise with the karma powers and the ability to upgrade town buildings and the Sims 4 is handy to have on console, I never play it on my pc anymore. I think I wouldn't mind a Sims game that has either both a story mode and also normal sandbox gameplay or just a main game and then spin offs. I know that some of the console games allowed you to play sandbox as well as having a story.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited April 2021
    Although the storyline games have a special place in my heart urbz, bustin out etc, however everything needs to evolve, if its always going to be possible to make the exact copy of the pc version to console they should keep doing this, the sims 4 for me is the best sims console game because you can do much more than what you used to do on console, they used to be very watered down compared to the pc version, some people do have only one way to play the sims and sometimes it's console, I do agree that spin offs should be made on all platforms including switch, a separate game from the main

Edit: if I remember correctly the sims 2 console and urbz , your sims couldn't have children, the sims 1 and bustin out, your sims could have children but they will never grow up, the sims 3 was alot better with this however very watered down to pc, consoles should have the same treatment as pc, it's possible now so why not