Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paranormal Stuff Worth It??

Everybody seems to like it, but I haven't seen anyone explain WHY they like it. What are the positives? Negatives?

Comments

• Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    The only stuff pack I actually got at launch. It has so much gameplay it almost feels like a mini game pack. It actually is really challenging to live in a haunted house. I don’t have any negative !
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    What I like

1) The Aesthetic. Even without the gameplay elements, I'd have been excited for this pack. The Retro-hippie Boho - but with saturated color - is an aesthetic I adore and the CAS looks like it could have come from my closet, along with the pseudo-Moroccan feel of some of the furniture, and the sofa is about the best one we've gotten outside of base game (The one that you unlock with the Tech Guru career is still my favorite, but it needs more colors)

2) The Haunted House lot type. I'm not saying I want my sims to live in one forever, but it is a fun challenge to get through the first seven days. And honestly, those little specters are a far more entertaining way to get rid of random visitors you don't want to talk to than just ignoring them.

3) The Paranormal Investigator Gigs. They're like active careers, which you can go with your sim or not as you choose. And they're a bit of a challenge and while yes, it's just "remove this, clean up that" in terms of doing things, it feels like there's more to it. Like trying to keep the home owner's calm, dealing with the investigator's own fear (even with the Brave trait, which just means your sim recovers faster) and the random rewards you can sometimes get. And dealing with specters sometimes gives another way to extend your sim's lifespan too.

What I don't like

Erm... If Temperance and Guidry are supposed to be from the 20's, their (or at least her) wardrobe is wrong. Seriously, that's the extent of it and it's just a tiny little nitpick.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    It's all about how you like to play. I gave my detailed review here

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/987273/paranormal-has-added-so-much-spice-to-gameplay
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sometimes people also just want a certain theme. Maybe people can't understand why they want a paranormal theme. This is what hooked me.

The surface stuff is great.. the looks of the CAS and build/buy. You can look them up yourself. Personally I love it all. I like the (the word was edited out.. so fortune teller?), boho vibe and have wanted it in the game. There is a pack called movie night that kind of has this vibe but is way too bright for me. In the paranormal pack the way they did it is spot on for my tastes.

The gameplay is really good. Living in a haunted house is like a mini game in the game as @jimbbq said. You can play it normally which can be quite hard or brace yourself for heroic mode, which you have to turn on. But you don't even have to live in a haunted house to learn the medium skill if you don't want the day to day issues that can happen. Your young adult sim and up can go out on the job and do battle with the specters that way... when you feel like scheduling the gigs for them.

Kids and teens can also learn the medium skill and that can come in handy for keeping things under control at home (or even out and about if you've put the lot trait in houses they travel too). It's cute to me to see the kids doing it.

Bonehilda, Guidry and Temperance are fun additions for NPC's and bring additional gameplay and/or story possibilities.

The noises... creepy crying, bangs, laughter, electric buzzing sounds ect .. love it. The visuals of the lights flickering and sudden wham when they go out .. very nice.

All the little stuff they get as rewards from specters or doing a gig is great to collect, is useful or both (like specter sips that can give your sims random skills) .. and it makes me grin to get something new I didn't know was in the pack.

They gave us control with the option to use the lot trait to have a haunted house or not. There is no forced gameplay here... you chose it. If you want a break from it you don't have to remove the pack. I want this option for anything like this and am happy as heck they did it. I've been playing my sim in a haunted house for a month now and I'm ready to play a different way for awhile... I know I can and it's great to know that that play isn't globally invasive.

The biggest negative for me is that there isn't a haunted community lot trait... you can only put it on residential lots. Also I'd love to have had this be a bigger pack, therefore with a bigger budget to get more jobs, effects, animations and furniture. The specters themselves are very Sims 4... I'd have loved them to be creepier/scarier or even otherworldly looking instead of cute looking, but I'm not surprised by the choice and would rather have it this way than not done at all.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Paranormal Stuff Pack is the very best of all the stuff packs because it's like a Gamepack.
  • Options
    GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    The noises... creepy crying, bangs, laughter, electric buzzing sounds ect .. love it. The visuals of the lights flickering and sudden wham when they go out .. very nice.

I didn't want quote the whole thing, but your words have convinced me 😁

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    It’s a £9.99 pack that has more gameplay in it than some of the much more expensive expansion packs do and the gameplay is actually fun too. It also has an excellent CAS and Build&Buy selection.
  • Options
    EteyraEteyra Posts: 26 Member
    I was hesitating in purchasing it. But you are convincing me. I'm not into paranormal stuff, but I do love a rich gameplay and if this pack provides that, well I'm all for it!
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    This pack has been calling out to me, and I am curious about a few things.

Guidry, Temperance and the floating specters, are they restricted to the *Haunted* lot? Or is it the seance table that attracts the last ones?

The Medium skill, what can it accomplish on a non-haunted lot? I know about Bonehilda and apparently, temporarily becoming a ghost.

I'm not so much into the haunting gameplay, but the career and the medium skill are so tempting, depending on what I can do on both haunted and non-haunting lots.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    This pack has been calling out to me, and I am curious about a few things.

Guidry, Temperance and the floating specters, are they restricted to the *Haunted* lot? Or is it the seance table that attracts the last ones?

The Medium skill, what can it accomplish on a non-haunted lot? I know about Bonehilda and apparently, temporarily becoming a ghost.

I'm not so much into the haunting gameplay, but the career and the medium skill are so tempting, depending on what I can do on both haunted and non-haunting lots.

Guidry only appears on Haunted lots, unless you summon him with the seance table. That may require both Medium 5 and a Paranormal Investigator's licence, or maybe just the licence. I'm not sure. My current paranormal investigator got hers by staying in a haunted house through University.

Temperance appears every 5 days (or so) on Haunted lots, and can appear on Medium and high difficulty Investigations.

I've only seen the specters on Haunted lots and at Paranormal Investigator gigs. I'm sure the only way to meet the yellow one is on a Haunted House Lot. There may be a ceremony to summon them, though (I haven't investigated with ceremonies off Haunted Lots as much as I should.)

The Medium skill allows you to perform seances, and eventually get your paranormal investigator's license without needing to spend reward store points. You can summon Bonehilda, summon ghosts (I think it's a random one) turn into a ghost, and "commune with the dead" which gets a small text of what the dead has to say and a moodlet depending on the tone of the text.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    it's pretty well done for a stuff pack, it had the potential to be an ep
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The Medium skill allows you to perform seances, and eventually get your paranormal investigator's license without needing to spend reward store points. You can summon Bonehilda, summon ghosts (I think it's a random one) turn into a ghost, and "commune with the dead" which gets a small text of what the dead has to say and a moodlet depending on the tone of the text.
    Very interesting. I see why people praise this considering it's supposed to be a stuff pack. Summon ghosts and turn into one temporary... tempting..
    bella_goth wrote: »
    Thanks, both of you. I'm convinced to give this pack a try or two. Time for my farmer/master spellcaster to get another challenge.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Very interesting. I see why people praise this considering it's supposed to be a stuff pack. Summon ghosts and turn into one temporary... tempting..
    Thanks, both of you. I'm convinced to give this pack a try or two. Time for my farmer/master spellcaster to get another challenge.

although spoilers aren't lovely you should consider (if you didn't) look for some gameplay video, but if you're already convinced then hope you'll enjoy it! anyways the pack offers toggles in objects/lot type to avoid the gameplay if it annoys you or adapt the difficulty
  • Options
    BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member

I couldn't agree more. Paranormal SP has much better gameplay than IL. I also think CAS and Build & Buy items are really cool and unique, it's one of the few packs that's worth its full price.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Granted, I haven't actually played it yet. Since I'm starting a new save with a more NOLA-inspired Willow Creek, but this is the only pack I bought within the first week of it's release and the only second I paid full price.

And despite not playing it yet, I already feel it's well worth the $10 I paid for. I've used both the BB and CAS items so much already it's not even funny. And I already fell in love with Guidry right away. I can tell he's going to be one of my favorite premades ever.

I absolutely adore the theme of this pack this too, and the fact that Séances aren't restricted to the use of the table and we can actually create Séance circles elsewhere is big plus for me.

Once I actually play with the gameplay, I have a feeling I'll probably fall in love with that too since it seems to have a lot of re-playability and not just a "one and done" deal (something that makes me a bit unsure about Strangerville.)
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    If you're into paranormal, I'd say yes it's kinda cool. Temperance is a collosal disappointment though so don't get hyped up by their false hype on her; I mean the '????????' and 'SHE'S COMING'. She's just annoying, not scary.
  • Options
    GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    Once I actually play with the gameplay, I have a feeling I'll probably fall in love with that too since it seems to have a lot of re-playability and not just a "one and done" deal (something that makes me a bit unsure about Strangerville.)

I'm also not a fan of the vacation-world-esque non-vacation world gameplay, but Strangerville is soooooo beautiful 🤩 I know a lot of people don't have the same opinion as me, but I'm really into the Boho Cowboy & Space Desert look 😂 Everything is so up my alley in that pack that it makes me crazy.

0ygskk6zmkj21.png
    **not my image cuz i can't find mine lol