Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kit Packs: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2021
    hooray for microtransactions! BOOOOO!

In truth, I may like this. I own the Sims 3 store. But I doubt there will be the same opportunities to get free stuff that the Sims 3 store had.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Nikkih wrote: »
    No. Microtransactions don't have any benefit to them. They only serve to wring the consumer of their money.

But, because this is the Sims franchise, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes. This fandom has the largest amount of whales I've ever seen. Plenty of people will buy them, if only to "complete their collection" or because "it's only 5 bucks, what's the harm?"

Microtransactions is the future and the present whether we like it or not unfortunately, the old way to playing games is probably officially dead like arcade games

@Nikkih Microtransactions are a way for companies to increase profit. They are a result of games becoming more expensive to make. However companies have proved that you can make games that generate a huge profit without microtransactions but those games often cost a lot of money to make, like Sony's exclusives like God of War for example.

EA doesn't work that way though, they just want to increase profit, that's why development cost is going into making more packs and now kits for the sims4. The free bunk beds are most likely because there are still some money being spent on developing and improving the game, which there is going to be even less of now because Maxis has to make kits, unless they will stop making stuff packs (which I suspect they will).
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yay!
    I'm like give me more! give me more! This kit pack and stuff pack to me will take the place of the sims 3 store. Now can I have my food recipe kit pack with waffles, chicken noodles soup, pecan pie, lasagna, chicken and dumplings etc.. Also be able to harvest pumpkin for pie, lattes, soup, bread and muffins..😋
    Post edited by beville on
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Depends on the price.
    logion wrote: »
    No. Microtransactions don't have any benefit to them. They only serve to wring the consumer of their money.

But, because this is the Sims franchise, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes. This fandom has the largest amount of whales I've ever seen. Plenty of people will buy them, if only to "complete their collection" or because "it's only 5 bucks, what's the harm?"

Microtransactions is the future and the present whether we like it or not unfortunately, the old way to playing games is probably officially dead like arcade games

@Nikkih Microtransactions are a way for companies to increase profit. They are a result of games becoming more expensive to make. However companies have proved though that you can make games that generate a huge profit without microtransactions but those games often cost a lot of money to make, like Sony's exclusives like God of War for example.

EA doesn't work that way though, they just want to increase profit, that's why development cost is going to make more packs and now kits for the sims4. The free bunk beds are most likely because there are still some money being spend on developing and improving the game, which there is going to be even less of now because Maxis has to make kit's, unless they will stop making stuff packs (which I suspect they will).

As you know EA would do anything to get more money 🤣
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Definitely depends on the content. I doubt they’d cost more than $5, not that price is a factor for me at all. I’m more concerned about the content. I like the three I’ve seen so far and will get them. The throwback fit kit is a must. Reminds me of the bright colors of the late 80s and early 90s and the old school hip hop era. I’d also like to see kits for clothing, food, teen stuff and beauty products.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Nay!

@Nikkih Microtransactions are a way for companies to increase profit. They are a result of games becoming more expensive to make. However companies have proved though that you can make games that generate a huge profit without microtransactions but those games often cost a lot of money to make, like Sony's exclusives like God of War for example.

EA doesn't work that way though, they just want to increase profit, that's why development cost is going to make more packs and now kits for the sims4. The free bunk beds are most likely because there are still some money being spend on developing and improving the game, which there is going to be even less of now because Maxis has to make kit's, unless they will stop making stuff packs (which I suspect they will).

Good lord I hope the sims4 doesn't turn into FIFA.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.

Good lord I hope the sims4 doesn't turn into FIFA.

Wouldn't surprise me with games those days, the future is mircotransactions, just because their a huge company and the sims is a huge game, doesnt mean they dont want even more money, no matter how much times pass and things change, the rich will get richer
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Guys, Sims 4 can handle itself anymore. Every pack they release, the game gets laggier and buggier, IMAGINE adding a new type of pack for a game that has 9819626981 packs released and years of age. Its going to be Sims 3 all over again, with all the stuff breaking the game. Also, really... ressurecting Sims 3 store? They really want to turn Sims 5 into a microtransaction mobile game and y'all are goign to buy kit packs and give them a yes to microtransactions.
    We don't need more cosmetic stuff in this game, we need bug fixes and gameplay elements.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yay!
    I like it, it will fill in gaps between bigger packs, they can be collected slowly over time, it gives console players more content since cc isn’t available to them, and it allows players to get more focused content. Plus as I said on Twitter and another thread, maybe by putting some of these minor assets and gameplay features in these smaller collections they can focus even more on deeper gameplay in bigger packs. Time will tell. But I for one am liking this concept.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.
    @elelunicy @Felicity So I know this is a little off topic and an etiquette faux pas, but as someone that always thought the Sims 3 Store was way too expensive back then and even when I looked back at it recently: around how much would you say the entire store set you back?

There are so many individual things on there and limited time content from the limited edition packs that it is hard for me to imagine having absolutely everything.

No judgement, of course. I have all of 4 which is its own pretty penny, but I always thought the entire breadth of 3 was out of individual reach.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    Yay!
    I will vote when I know more. If they offer something other than being useless aesthetic items then I won’t mind paying for them.
  • emiobixemiobix Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2021
    Cant wait for the "sweeping kit" or the "mopping kit". Good grief.

Hahaha oh geez... there is actually a bust the dust kit ...

0x000000000xE1D8AC594CC40884_0x00B2D882.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Best Case Scenario: Niche pack ideas for $1.69 + tax. They fill the gaps between big releases, which is good because March-June is a long dry period. They don't take too many resources away from other packs, and go on sale from time to time.

Most Likely Scenario: Half-baked $5.00 + tax filler that takes time and resources away from other packs, and they'll be content meant for other packs, but taken out and sold separately.

Given how shallow most packs are, they're either going to be somewhat infrequent, or they take away time and effort going into other packs. As it is, the budget is shoestring and they likely don't have enough employees.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Depends on the content.
    If I want it in my game, I'll buy it. Simple as that. I'll probably buy 2 of the 3 announced but I absolutely hate cleaning in real life so I'll skip that vacuuming one.

That being said, they absolutely could've just built a stuff or game pack with these things baked in and called it a day. (Big) Businesses are greedy. Water is wet.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Depends on the content.
    It would also depend on price, but the biggest thing would be whether it is something I am interested in, which goes for every type of pack really.
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Nay!
    A hard nay. As a poor person I do not have the money to shill 5 bucks (lets be real, that's what the price will be) for pretend vacuums and stupid dust bunnies that aren't actual bunnies.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I don't know yet. I have to know more about them before I make a fair opinion.
    #Team Occult
  • johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the state of the game.
    Given I'm from Australia and we pay $14.99 for a Stuff pack (everyone else pays $10), I expect these kit packs to be at least $9.95 each, so they'd have to be really good to justify the price.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Depends on the content.
    I'm not interested at all in the 3 that were given, but I can somewhat understand why they're doing it.

Except the country kitchen one - that I feel could be implemented into a number of packs, but. Oh well.

But what sort of pack were they going to add cleaning to? A generations pack? I would never want that content in my game (and I think they know that the idea of chores isn't super popular).
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Nay!
    I have lots of stuff from the Sims 3 store. I didn't buy any of it with money, though. I watched ads. I watched lots and lots of ads for free store points. That said, if these kit packs can be purchased with free points from ads, I'm all for it.

I answered "Nay" because I know it won't happen. *sigh*
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    For me it will depend on both the content AND the price. I only pay what I believe gameplay features to be worth.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Where is the don't care option 😂😂

I'll be honest I really don't care. I have the Big Pack types that I can enjoy and lookforward too. This is like the store. They have side content for those who wanted more objects. Small objects for their story telling purposes. Meamwhile while people are arguing with TS3 Store, I am just looking forward to the next ep 😂😂

So yeah it's cool for those who like it and it is optional either. I won't have to buy it since it's not required. And really I only use the Parenthood Counter in my builds somwhy would I buy the kitchen kit 😂. But sgain it ismjust my opinion :)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Depends on the content.
    I'm always neutral with microtransaction, except the Lootbox which I despise a lot.

Bought few Sims 3 Stores which I think was of high-quality items, like Farm, Chicken Coop, and Tea Set, also bought some items from other game's microtransaction stores, I think it's the perfect option for people who only like specific items but don't want the rest of the stuff like in stuffpack so they will get it cheaper.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.
    $2 to $7, depending on the content, I'm willing to pay. If it's like the Sims 3 Store (e.g. ONE bush for 4 DOLLARS), they are getting $0

Now that they brought up the idea, I think they should've had Expansion Packs, Game Packs, and Kits instead of what they have. Kit Packs seem to be more specific and detailed than Stuff Packs... already. But we can't know for sure until they come out.