Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A new pack type, the "Kit" is coming. Aka "Sims 3 store, 5 bucks for two chairs" is here

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    None of what's in the pack is BAD. But I predict it will be overpriced. And if we accept it being overpriced now, you just wait a few months for it to go up a buck or two.

I agree, but by purchasing the kit pack, whether you like the content or not, you are effectively communicating to EA:

1. I like this pack.
    2. I agree with its retail price.

That's how they, and virtually every company, views your purchase at the end of the day. You can provide feedback on the forums till you develop carpal tunnel, but it's all invalidated if you end up purchasing anyway.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2021
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    It's just going to be the Sims 3 store all over again. Lackluster content that's overpriced to heck. $5 bucks for three hibiscus plants anyone? It's such a shame how they cut content up to sell for more money, and how people just accept this like it's a good thing.

Yes, some of the stuff in Sims 3 store had me laugh but what I see is hypocrisy in play some were dead set against it and now EA/Maxis is fixing to start here all of an sudden it is widely accepted. What would be the kicker for me is if they start selling Neighborhoods which they include in certain packs.

You've mentioned hypocrisy in several posts now. Are you saying the simmers supporting the Sims 4 Kits were critical of the Sims 3 store?

Yes some were and stand by my post :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i love the idea for country kitchen and dust bunnies in that order
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    Wonder if they'll be available for gifting on Origin. 👀
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Are kits left over stuff they left out of stuff packs and others? like that fit kit? Couldn't some of that been included in one of the stuff packs or something about fitness? Squeeze every dime? Is this stuff that wound up on the cutting room floor and they decided to gather it all up and start selling it? Just wondering.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Are kits left over stuff they left out of stuff packs and others? like that fit kit? Couldn't some of that been included in one of the stuff packs or something about fitness? Squeeze every dime? Is this stuff that wound up on the cutting room floor and they decided to gather it all up and start selling it? Just wondering.

No one knows. Only speculation.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    In my mind, they have people making these things specifically for the kits.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    I mentioned this before, but I like them in theory. If they're super affordable bits of content that don't take too much time or resources away from other packs, it could be great. Having too much DLC does create too many moving parts and creating too much DLC makes the Sims look bad, but I can look past that if the content is good.

I just don't trust EA to execute it well. They've already proven to be money-hungry, willing to divide up content into multiple packs to scam us out of money, and a lot of the packs they made are shallow. I could see these kits taking time and resources away from other packs.

I have no opinion on the Sims 3 store because I never used it. But I heard you can watch ads to earn points to purchase things, which seems pretty cool. If we got that for Sims 4, that'd be great; I could turn on adds, step away to make a sandwich, and come back to points.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I mentioned this before, but I like them in theory. If they're super affordable bits of content that don't take too much time or resources away from other packs, it could be great. Having too much DLC does create too many moving parts and creating too much DLC makes the Sims look bad, but I can look past that if the content is good.

I just don't trust EA to execute it well. They've already proven to be money-hungry, willing to divide up content into multiple packs to scam us out of money, and a lot of the packs they made are shallow. I could see these kits taking time and resources away from other packs.

I have no opinion on the Sims 3 store because I never used it. But I heard you can watch ads to earn points to purchase things, which seems pretty cool. If we got that for Sims 4, that'd be great; I could turn on adds, step away to make a sandwich, and come back to points.

The ads weren't available in all regions, so ad watching depends on where you're located.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited March 2021

I believe so too. Because on the Maxis Career page there's a new job posting for an External Development Artist - Object Reviewer

One thing that was interesting was it stated that part of the job was to review "Daily Content Deliveries", so I wonder if they have new objects coming in every day. I'm wondering if these outsourced individuals, outside of the team, is large enough that it would be delivering assets daily to Maxis?

The other thing, was this person is supposed Revise, change, or fix “finished” assets as needed

That job posting can be found here:
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/164455/external-development-artist-object-reviewer?locale=en

***Edited to clarify what I was wondering
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,421 Member

I believe so too. Because on the Maxis Career page there's a new job posting for an External Development Artist - Object Reviewer

One thing that was interesting was it stated that part of the job was to review "Daily Content Deliveries", so I wonder if they have new objects coming in every day.

The other thing, was this person is supposed Revise, change, or fix “finished” assets as needed

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/164455/external-development-artist-object-reviewer?locale=en

I read this to mean that the daily content deliveries would be from employees working within the team, not necessarily content provided to the community. Similar to a production quota to make sure that employees are doing their job. My company has this due to employees working from home. They can't be watched physically, so the business tracks how much computer stuff gets done on a daily basis. But this is totally a guess on my part and based on my own experience, which is not in the gaming field.
    @Monet11 as much as I love the idea of daily content for the community that's how I interpreted it also.

Mentor the external partners on a day-to-day basis by creating highly detailed written and illustrative reviews on daily content deliveries.

If they're hiring someone specifically to manage kit development it seems we may be getting them for quite some time.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

One thing that was interesting was it stated that part of the job was to review "Daily Content Deliveries", so I wonder if they have new objects coming in every day. I'm wondering if these outsourced individuals, outside of the team, is large enough that it would be delivering assets daily to Maxis?

***Edited to clarify what I was wondering

They probably do have new objects coming in every day or often enough to keep them busy every day, because I imagine everyone is busy on their job, whatever that is, every single day of the year regardless of the release times of packs. Also, they said they outsource all mesh and textures creation so they're probably having a constant flow of deliver and review of assets.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member

I think so. These 3 packs closely resemble 3 stuff packs released a few years ago. I think they made these items for those packs and for whatever reason they were left on the cutting room floor. Someone had to of noticed the amount of content left on the wayside and thought kits were a great idea of getting them out there.
    I wonder what time the new kits will be presented! And how. Really excited!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I wonder what time the new kits will be presented! And how. Really excited!
    Oh yeah, it's today isn't it? I look forward to finding out more and hope the releases are not too far away 😁
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I have a hunch they could be released today? We’ve just had the patch where all the details were found, so could be classed as a ‘pre-release patch’. Plus I doubt they would really need a gap between announce and release as it’s essentially bite size pieces of content, there wouldn’t be much to share like the usual blog posts, Q&As, trailers, live streams that we get with packs. Really wouldn’t surprise me if these kits went live today!
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited March 2021
    Morning, everyone. Let's see what fresh hell awaits us all today.

Edit: The place bad people go to when they die, that's censored? In a game that's T-rated, includes WooHoo and non-consensual alien pregnancies, we can't say that word? Not mad or anything, just surprised the censor's that strict.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    I think they'll be available today. I just curious to know the frequency of release.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I think they'll be available today. I just curious to know the frequency of release.

Yes, i hope it's released today! And i wish we get new kits very often 😄
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    Does anybody know when they might make the anouncement today?
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member

no were just waiting for them to randomly drop news lol
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    adamzaid wrote: »

no were just waiting for them to randomly drop news lol

Lol, ok. Thanks. :) Will just have to be patient. I'm not good at that. :D
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited March 2021
    Hey there everyone!

Just jumping on here to let you know that I removed several comments because they were crossing the line. Please keep in mind that ...
    • ... circumventing the profanity filter is not okay.
    • ... public threads are not the right place for personal arguments.
    • ... you should keep the conversation on-topic even if it might be tempting to speculate about a potential Sims 5 or job openings with Maxis.
    • ... promoting/discussing activities that are against the EA User Agreement is a BIG no-no and can lead to sanctions.
    • ... everyone here can have their own opinion on all things Sims - Kits included - and a different opinion doesn't justify trolling/flaming/baiting (all of which is against the forum rules as you all know).
      If you like the concept of Kits, that awesome, and if you don't like it, that's perfectly fine, too. Just be cool about it when talking to other Simmers and play by the rules so that everyone can have a constructive discussion. :)
    Lastly, for those of you waiting for more info: today is the day as per the official The Sims Twitter channel.

Thank you, Leeloo