Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i'm done with the sims

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2021
    I just asked if female simmers don't play male sims. I think it's a fair point, no need to get agressive.

Yeah, I try to create and play both male and female sims in equal amounts, mainly because I know I'm going to hook them up later in the game, lol!

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have a female friend who plays male sims more than the female and a masculine male friend who play exclusively female characters, if the Sims Team is targeting inclusivity they should focus more on that instead of creating content only for the target group, or for the majority of players only.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    It's like real life. As a man sometimes I feel frustrated when I go to a store and 80% of it is female section.
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    Will female sims get body hair too? X)

That would be nice! I really wanted to put a mustache on one of my female sims but the option isn't there, which is kinda sad :/

On the topic of this thread - I always play female sims, but most of the clothing/hair I use tends to come from the masculine category because I think their stuff is much better than the female options lol
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I’m certainly not done with the sims, but I agree that male related CAS is not being taken as seriously as it should.

I play mostly male and each one of my main dudes wears either cc male clothing, has a cc beard, has cc body hair and other stuff that shouldn’t be mentioned here. I don’t expect that last part to ever be officially introduced to the sims but that’s not the point. In my opinion the boys are seriously lacking. Period.

To have the option to get a male sim pregnant before he can grow a decent layer of body hair always kinda baffled me. Plus ouch. 😣
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I have a female friend who plays male sims more than the female and a masculine male friend who play exclusively female characters, if the Sims Team is targeting inclusivity they should focus more on that instead of creating content only for the target group, or for the majority of players only.

Actually, I've just realised I do too. I can make them more quickly in CAS with less of a wardrobe, whereas I spend so much time dressing my female Sims. One of my favourites is a plump 30 year old type who wears casual clothes and lives in Sulani in most of my Saves. He's always a friend to everyone and turns up at everything.

I do apologise to those male Simmers who want fabulous wardrobes for their Sims though! It's the kind of males I was brought up with.

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2021
    Part of the problem, I think, is even in real life male fashion is pretty “samey” if you get what I mean. Men tend to wear a few basic items:
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes
    Pajamas, socks, underwear, and the occasional tuxedo aside that’s really it. So I guess designing new assets can seem really repetitive and they’re always getting raked over for “reskinning” objects/assets it’s not easy keeping things fresh, and when they did try some avant-garde men’s fashion in Romantic Garden Stuff, and City Living people threw a fit calling it unwearable and unusable so they’re kind of between a rock and a hard place. Because they have covered and recovered the basic ground of men’s fashion in CAS and when they try something new or different it gets panned mercilessly.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Part of the problem, I think, is even in real life male fashion is pretty “samey” if you get what I mean. Men tend to wear a few basic items:
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes
    Pajamas, socks, underwear, and the occasional tuxedo aside that’s really it. So I guess designing new assets can seem really repetitive and they’re always getting raked over for “reskinning” objects/assets it’s not easy keeping things fresh, and when they did try some avant-garde men’s fashion in Romantic Garden Stuff, and City Living people threw a fit calling it unwearable and unusable so they’re kind of between a rock and a hard place. Because they have covered and recovered the basic ground of men’s fashion in CAS and when they try something new or different it gets panned mercilessly.

I have to agree with this.what else does men really wear besides the basics? (On average)
    In contrast I notice with girl stuff when it comes to cc there are cuts over here and holes over there and sparkles here, flare there. Etc the creativity is pretty endless with girls. But the average straight male would not be seen in anything out if the norm. Which is pretty boring 😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm not done with TS4, but I do share your frustration. I am a young adult female, but I mostly play male sims and I was really disappointed to discover that they have been left out once again. I was hoping for some nice smart full-length jeans at least. I really wish CAS was more balanced as male sims of all ages definitely deserve more attention and variety.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have to agree with this.what else does men really wear besides the basics? (On average)
    In contrast I notice with girl stuff when it comes to cc there are cuts over here and holes over there and sparkles here, flare there. Etc the creativity is pretty endless with girls. But the average straight male would not be seen in anything out if the norm. Which is pretty boring 😅😅

@Babykittyjade Yes maybe the average male but not all of us.
    Furthermore, don't forget the Sims is supposed to be a game were you are told to go crazy with stories and make quirky characters yet when all the clothes are bland or "average" it doesn't allow you to dress males very creatively.

There are tons of clothes that the "average" male wouldn't wear in real life but in the Sims they could find use by people who want to create more than just a realistic, average man.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I think the way you said it was a bit dramatic but i agree. I would love more cas items to men. I find most male hair way too same and i would like more different styles. But i've also noticed that most young adult girls/womens tends to play as female. it's clear from looking cc also. It target audience is young females like some/most games are targeted for males. So it's not like only this game don't make exactly same amount for male and females as a personal attack for men. but i think sims 4 could be the 'ground breaker ' to that. At least we can hope. We should ask ea to make more for males also but just let's not start to fight this males vs females thing, i don't think it helps. it could just make more harm than good :)
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    they're always excluding men, we don't even have body hair on the game.

Everyone has body hair. And in the same spots. So that's not really a male problem.

If it's any consolation, though, most of the female clothing is horrendous anyway. If you really want male clothing, you need to make a big stinky about it to the point where people are complaining about you complaining on every social media website there is. And then get people to agree with you. And then get them to complain with you. For months on end.

The real problem here is that most people just really don't care that much. They'll make a snide comment about it in passing every couple of months when they makeover Bob Pancakes and can't find any good pants. There isn't a significant amount of people talking about it at any given point 😕
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited February 2021
    My biggest gripe is what pants we do have in the game are not "normal" (at least not where I live ... most guys do not, ok actually I've never ever seen a guy in any town around me who wears above ankle pants!)

I just want some everyday, casual bootcut jeans for my dudes! I can pretty much dress them how I want for the most part, even tho they all usually wear the same thing in different colors/patterns.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes
    I agree with this! My husband wears suits for work, but otherwise he only wears T-shirts, jeans, sweatpants, shorts, sweatshirts, polos, and the occasional sweater. I do think they could offer more swatches at least, and the male jeans in game are seriously lacking. The hairstyles, facial hair, and jewelry/accessories really need some help as well. I’m not super upset about body hair not being added, not because I don’t think it’s needed, but because they never make those CAS items as well as CC creators do. The body hair in TS3 looked awful IMO, just like the piercings do in TS4, I’ll stick to CC myself.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited February 2021
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

This is the same problem I face. Men’s fashion is all samey. So it would be nice to have variety in my male Sims wardrobe. I didn’t have a problem with some City Living items in Romantic Garden. They did make slight changes and it was more stuff.

Body hair would be such a great addition.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2021
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

This is the same problem I face. It’s all samey. So it would be nice to have variety in my male Sims wardrobe. I didn’t have a problem with some City Living items in Romantic Garden because it was more stuff! They did make slight changes.

Body hair would be such a great addition.

I like them too, though admittedly I barely used them until Get Famous came out, now I use them a lot for my male celebrity sims.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited February 2021
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

This! I get the disappointment and desire to have more male clothing in CAS, but it really is more of a cultural/societal thing than outright sexism on Maxi's part.

I (as a young adult in the US) can't remember ever seeing a male wearing anything other than what you mentioned. And not only do males tend to wear the same styles over and over but they tend to wear a pretty limited color palette as well.
    • Red
    • Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Tan/beige
    And there are only so many different shades too.

That's not to say there aren't males who wear purple and pink, or even orange and yellow but those are far and few between. And (not being judgmental here) most males who tend to wear traditionally more "feminine" colors like pink and purple are considered gay, whether they are or not. It's just the way (at least western) society works.

Let's face it...most straight men wouldn't dare wear a pink crop top and high waisted flare jeans. (And I say this as a woman who wouldn't wear an outfit like this.) Or at least not out in public. Is it "right?" No, not by any means. Does it stink? Yes, very much so. But is it the reality we live in? Unfortunately yes.

For those who want to make more "flamboyant" males, you can literally just remove the feminine filter from the clothing and you have all the same options we do.

Unless society changes their ways completely (which is very doubtful) I don't think we're going to get a wider variety for males in CAS anytime soon. And if most people are just going to use the "normal" male clothes anyway, or throw a fit whenever something more "out there" is made then it's just a waste of time for the design team to make anything other than the "same old" stuff. And then if people are going to complain about the reskinning/recolor of the x number of t-shirts we already have then what's the point of trying to make new clothes for males?

Before anybody comes at me: I agree that more effort could be put into male CAS. Heck, I'd love to have more non crop tops for females in the Sims. But from a design perspective: it's not about being sexist, it's about what's worth the design team's time and effort.
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

This! I get the disappointment and desire to have more male clothing in CAS, but it really is more of a cultural/societal thing than outright sexism on Maxi's part.

I (as a young adult in the US) can't remember ever seeing a male wearing anything other than what you mentioned. And not only do males tend to wear the same styles over and over but they tend to wear a pretty limited color palette as well.
    • Red
    • Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Tan/beige

That's not to say there aren't males who wear purple and pink, or even orange and yellow but those are far and few between. And (not being judgmental here) most males who tend to wear traditionally more "feminine" colors like pink and purple are considered gay, whether they are or not. It's just the way (at least western) society works.

Let's face it...most straight men wouldn't dare wear a pink crop top and high waisted flare jeans. (And I say this as a woman who wouldn't wear an outfit like this.) Or at least not out in public. Is it "right?" No, not by any means. Does it stink? Yes, very much so. But is it the reality we live in? Unfortunately yes.

For those who want to make more "flamboyant" males, you can literally just remove the feminine filter from the clothing and you have all the same options we do.

Unless society changes their ways completely (which is very doubtful) I don't think we're going to get a wider variety for males in CAS anytime soon. And if most people are just going to use the "normal" male clothes anyway, or throw a fit whenever something more "out there" is made then it's just a waste of time for the design team to make anything other than the "same old" stuff. And then if people are going to complain about the reskinning/recolor of the x number of t-shirts we already have then what's the point of trying to make new clothes for males?

Before anybody comes at me: I agree that more effort could be put into male CAS. Heck, I'd love to have more non crop tops for females in the Sims. But from a design perspective: it's not about being sexist, it's about what's worth the design team's time and effort.

While I agree with many of your points, I don’t really agree with your point on the colors. Maybe it’s just my area (northeast USA), but many males wear light/bright colors. My husband, father, and brother all own orange, yellow, pink, and teal clothing, none of them happen to be gay. In all honestly I don’t really see anyone saying such a thing here, it would be considered highly offensive to stereotype anyone like that. In the area I live in it’s not uncommon to see people wear pride related clothing in support of one another, so clothing choices alone are not something we use to determine things like that.
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

• Red
    • Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Tan/beige

While I agree with many of your points, I don’t really agree with your point on the colors. Maybe it’s just my area (northeast USA), but many males wear light/bright colors. My husband, father, and brother all own orange, yellow, pink, and teal clothing, none of them happen to be gay. In all honestly I don’t really see anyone saying such a thing here, it would be considered highly offensive to stereotype anyone like that. In the area I live in it’s not uncommon to see people wear pride related clothing in support of one another, so clothing choices alone are not something we use to determine things like that.

The colors thing is defintely not a "one size fits all" ordeal. And honestly, it seems like you live in a much better area of the US than I do. Because in my area, (Mid Atlantic. In the more rural area of Pennsylvania) it's pretty much as I described. And guys when I was going to school, would literally use gay as an insult, even when not related to sexuality. For instance they'd say "that's gay," to mean something was stupid. I have seen males wear teal and my dad even owns some shirts of that color, but unless it was school spirit day (which our colors were black and gold) hardly any guy would yellow in my area. And there were maybe two guys who wore pink in my school that I knew of. And both did happen to be gay. I'm not sure about other areas of the US and they could very well be like yours, but in my case, what I mentioned is based on experience. As much as I hate it. :neutral:

People are also unfortunately, not as accepting in my area of Pennsylvania as unfortunate as it is. A trans male student (so he was AFAB) at my high school was listed as a option for Prom Queen despite being openly trans and asking to be relisted as an option for Prom King and had to fight to have his male name read at graduation. So yeah, not as accepting.
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

• Red
    • Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Tan/beige

The colors thing is defintely not a "one size fits all" ordeal. And honestly, it seems like you live in a much better area of the US than I do. Because in my area, (Mid Atlantic. In the more rural area of Pennsylvania) it's pretty much as I described. And guys when I was going to school, would literally use gay as an insult, even when not related to sexuality. For instance they'd say "that's gay," to mean something was stupid. I have seen males wear teal and my dad even owns some shirts of that color, but unless it was school spirit day (which our colors were black and gold) hardly any guy would yellow in my area. And there were maybe two guys who wore pink in my school that I knew of. And both did happen to be gay. I'm not sure about other areas of the US and they could very well be like yours, but in my case, what I mentioned is based on experience. As much as I hate it. :neutral:

People are also unfortunately, not as accepting in my area of Pennsylvania as unfortunate as it is. A trans male student (so he was AFAB) at my high school was listed as a option for Prom Queen despite being openly trans and asking to be relisted as an option for Prom King and had to fight to have his male name read at graduation. So yeah, not as accepting.

So while I'm not sure about other areas of the US, including where the design team are from, part of the reason males have not only less variety, but less color options as well could be due to associations like I mentioned.
    • T-Shirts
    • Jeans
    • Shorts
    • Button down shirts
    • Sweatshirts/hoodies
    • Polo shirts
    • Suit/Sport Jackets
    • Trousers
    • Khakis
    • Athletic shoes
    • Sandals/Flip flops
    • Dress shoes
    • Deck shoes

• Red
    • Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Blue
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Tan/beige

I thought that might be the case, which is why I said it might just be my area. It’s sad that so many areas in this country are still like that. I remember kids in school using insults like that, but that was back in the 80’s/early 90’s (yeah I’m old lol). In schools here students would likely be suspended, or possibly expelled for that type of behavior. The game is made in California, I would imagine they’d be a little more open and inclusive (they claim to be), but there is probably some type of market research going on that dictates a lot of their choices.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

@Babykittyjade Yes maybe the average male but not all of us.
    Furthermore, don't forget the Sims is supposed to be a game were you are told to go crazy with stories and make quirky characters yet when all the clothes are bland or "average" it doesn't allow you to dress males very creatively.

There are tons of clothes that the "average" male wouldn't wear in real life but in the Sims they could find use by people who want to create more than just a realistic, average man.

I have to agree with this. Hence why I have all kinds of quirky cc for males. I wanted sims out of the ordinary with their own styles and personalities. Hard to do without cc.
    I think at this point they are just playing it safe with everything in this game. Nothing too outrageous 😒
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021
    bella_goth wrote: »
    they're always excluding men, we don't even have body hair on the game.

Everyone has body hair. And in the same spots. So that's not really a male problem.

If it's any consolation, though, most of the female clothing is horrendous anyway. If you really want male clothing, you need to make a big stinky about it to the point where people are complaining about you complaining on every social media website there is. And then get people to agree with you. And then get them to complain with you. For months on end.

The real problem here is that most people just really don't care that much. They'll make a snide comment about it in passing every couple of months when they makeover Bob Pancakes and can't find any good pants. There isn't a significant amount of people talking about it at any given point 😕

the sims is a game mostly played by women but as i stated, many of us prefer to play with men.
    they need more stuff on the game, it's tiring that the game is only being developed by statistics and not by actual equality. some women clothing may be horrible but at least we got more variety
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I personally prefer to have my male Sims or anyone in general to wear anything that's very simple, sophisticated, & stylish. Most of the time, I just get my male Sims either to wear suits, or a simple T-shirt & jeans + nice hair style of course. What I really hope to have for the male Sims is to have a very good jeans & short without too much detail.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    RoanCrous wrote: »
    its like they dont care about they male players.

Complain to CC makers -- they're the ones who did the content for this patch. If there are any good CC creators doing men's clothing, maybe recommend them to the Sims team.

I don’t think CC creators deserve any criticism — they didn’t choose the amount or type of content for this patch.

OP, check out Luumia Sims’ tumblr. He creates loads of great male-oriented CC, and was one of the CC artists from the last patch.