Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MUSIC PACK & BANDS PACK, all your ideas (sims 4)

carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
Hi Simmers!
I often see a request for a music / band pack for sims 4 on the forum, and I have seen a lot of great ideas on this, so let´s gather all of them in one thread!

What are your ideas for a music pack? Please share them! :)

Here´s my suggestions:

ENTERTAINER CAREER - UPDATE BASE GAME
An overhaul of the "Entertainer / Music / Comedian” -career, change the Entertainer career into 2 FREELANCE CAREERS + 3 ACTIVE / REGULAR CAREERS (ONE career level - but salary increases).

FREELANCE CAREERS
1. FREELANCE ENTERTAINER
More available gigs with a high Work reputation & Large social network
  • COMEDIAN: Write jokes for others / Perform act (not your own jokes, get them sent in the mail) / Write jokes +perform act
  • New gigs with new packs, ex: MAGICAN / etc
2. FREELANCE MUSICIAN
More available gigs with a high Work reputation & Large social network
  • MUSICAN: Perform on a Party & Festival & Community lot / Temporary join a band (chance to replace the original member) / Record songs / Get sheet music sent to you by mail and learn the piece (perform active lot / rabbit hole) / DJ
    Skills: DJ / Singing / Violin / Piano / Drums / etc. (Possibility to take more gigs if having multiple instrument skills)
  • COMPOSER: Write specific songs (on different Instruments / Genres or with Different emotions)
    Skills: Music production (separate from Media skill, Get Famous EP) / Music Theory (Composing skill) / Any instrument skill

ACTIVE CAREER
1. MUSIC TEACHER
Work from home! Place an ad online and teach visiting students!
Skills: Charisma + (at least) ONE optional instrument (At least a skill level 3)
Active tasks: Level up Charisma + Instrument skill / Prepare lesson / Succesfully teach student / Have your students to gain fame or compete in Music competitions to increase your Work reputation and Payment level. If you take a high payment for lessons without a high Work reputation = Decreased Work reputation & risk of Losing Students. Recurring students & Temporary assigments.

REGULAR CAREERS
1. ORCHESTRA MEMBER
You need to Audition to get this job! (limited number of employeed sims!)
Daily Task: Practice / Learn new piece / Perform concert on Saturdays = Prepare yourself!)
Skills: ONE optional instrument (At least a skill level 8)

2. CONDUCTOR
You need to Audition to get this job! (limited number of employeed sims!)
Daily Task: Practice / Learn new piece / Perform concert on Saturdays = Prepare yourself!)
Skills: Charisma + Piano + Singing + Composing + ONE optional string instrument (violin/cello/contrabass) + ONE optional woodwind instrument(clarinet/flute) + ONE optional brass instrument (trumpet/trombone/tuba/saxophone) + ONE optional percussion instrument (drums -drum set).

DISCOVER UNIVERSITY UPDATE
MUSIC DEGREE (separate from Art degree)
Classes: Music theory (composing skill) / Charisma skill / Optional 1st Instrument / Optional 2nd Instrument / Optional 3rd Instrument (Level up 3 diffferent Music skills, e.g: Singing + Cello + Drums)
Task for classes: Perform on final concert (all instrument skills) / Submit term paper & Take final exam (Charisma & Music Theory)

NEW SKILLS / UPDATED SKILLS
Music production (Get Famous, separated from “Media production skill”)
Music theory - Compose songs / Study Music theory (Read book & Take class)
One separate skill for every new instrument
  • String instrument - Violin & Viola skill / Cello Skill
  • Woodwind instrument - Clarinet Skill / Flute Skill
  • Brass instrument - Trumpet skill / Saxophone skill
  • Percussion instrument - Drum skill
  • Other - Accordion skill / Bass skill (Electric & Double)

BAND – MUSIC GROUPS / SOLO
I have seen a lot of great ideas on the forum on this one! Form a BAND (different instruments / the same instrument = choir) or try to go SOLO. Choose music genre / outfit / a logo.
Missions
Complete gigs, record songs, film music videos, promote your band, raise your fame / band level (1-5) and befriend/please your fanbase. Earn perk points and buy rewards.
Perk points rewards - Categories
1. Merch (sell merch with your logo: t-shirt, coffee mugs, idol cards), 2. Fanbase (relationship with your fans), 3. Benefits (faster skill gain / fame gain, higher payment for gigs, “unforgettable” = your fans will never forget your band, etc).

NEW LOCATION
A new world with an OPERA HOUSE / STADIUM (Concert on Saturday / Perform with your band / Visit the concert / Work place for the Conductor & Orchestra member career)

What do YOU want in a music pack? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE YOUR IDEAS! :)

Post edited by carpe_diem on

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    carpe_diem wrote: »

Battle of the Bands.

With more instruments, and the ability to form bands, and have music festivals.
    Start out as a teenage garage band, go through uni playing in local bars and pubs, either get signed to a label (who dictate a bunch of changes, including changes to your bands lineup), or go DIY, and have to work on the side while you slowly claw your way to fame, but have complete creative control.

The two roads to fame.
    Road1: getting signed, it's a faster way to the top, and has more money coming in faster, but it means losing creative options, with the game dictating the direction of the band, it's style, and the music played. It also means a faster route back down to being 'last years news'

Road 2: DIY. Its blood, sweat, and tears. It's a slow climb, and your sims might have to have side jobs to keep it going for a while, but eventually you will start to gain success. The plateau at the top lasts longer, and the decline after is slow, leading to an 'old school influence' status.

Get invited to play at music festivals, your timeslot indicates your level of popularity. If you're in the first slot, you've got a chance at fame, but no one knows your name, if you're the last act, then you've made it to the top.

This could come with its own world, one that has two recording studios, the plush, and shiny, all inclusive (so long as you've signed away your creative rights) Sellout Studio, and the dark and dingy Den of DIY, where you pay by the hour, but the coffee is free. DIY bands who are at, or nearing the top, can hire the fancy studio, but it costs a lot more than the Den.

The world could also contain a music festival park, a pub to book gigs at, and a fancier music hall, for middling+ bands to have concerts at.

There would also need to be the ability to create your own merch: Tshirts, hoodies, underpants, posters, and CDs (or old school vinyl).

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2021
    Movotti wrote: »
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    Battle of the Bands.

With more instruments, and the ability to form bands, and have music festivals.
    Start out as a teenage garage band, go through uni playing in local bars and pubs, either get signed to a label (who dictate a bunch of changes, including changes to your bands lineup), or go DIY, and have to work on the side while you slowly claw your way to fame, but have complete creative control.

The two roads to fame.
    Road1: getting signed, it's a faster way to the top, and has more money coming in faster, but it means losing creative options, with the game dictating the direction of the band, it's style, and the music played. It also means a faster route back down to being 'last years news'

Road 2: DIY. Its blood, sweat, and tears. It's a slow climb, and your sims might have to have side jobs to keep it going for a while, but eventually you will start to gain success. The plateau at the top lasts longer, and the decline after is slow, leading to an 'old school influence' status.

Get invited to play at music festivals, your timeslot indicates your level of popularity. If you're in the first slot, you've got a chance at fame, but no one knows your name, if you're the last act, then you've made it to the top.

This could come with its own world, one that has two recording studios, the plush, and shiny, all inclusive (so long as you've signed away your creative rights) Sellout Studio, and the dark and dingy Den of DIY, where you pay by the hour, but the coffee is free. DIY bands who are at, or nearing the top, can hire the fancy studio, but it costs a lot more than the Den.

The world could also contain a music festival park, a pub to book gigs at, and a fancier music hall, for middling+ bands to have concerts at.

There would also need to be the ability to create your own merch: Tshirts, hoodies, underpants, posters, and CDs (or old school vinyl).

@Movotti I just want to say that you ideas ARE GREAT!!! Wow well done! :) Hope that we can get something like this in a music pack. I really like the idea with two roads to fame! (this will make the game more replayable!). Maybe a free update to Base Game could be the ability to customize your own festivals (a system similiar to the Holiday system from Seasons EP?).
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,461 Member
    I copy paste this one in almost all music/ band dedicated threads:

Bands and Musical Ensembles.
    • A system very like the GT Club mechanics will give a player the option to form a band or a musical group.
    • A sim with enough skill in a particular instrument can start a band or ensemble and start a band practice.
    • A band or group with high enough band skill will be able to organize a gig, or attract a manager who will organize gigs for them.
    • A band may be invited to play at a Wedding or other Event.
    • A band or group will receive ratings based on their performance and music sales.
    • The group can give their revenue a boost with sales in merchandise.

Some bands or ensembles that can be created:
    • Rock/ Indie/ (Synth) Pop band.
    • Hip Hop/Rap group.
    • Choir. (kids,classical, gospel)
    • String Quartet.

Instruments and skills that currently exist but can be used in combination:
    • Piano.(BG) Synth (CL)
    • Acoustic Guitar. (BG)
    • Violin.(BG).
    • Singing. (CL)
    • Organ. (Vampires).

Instruments and skills to be added to such an EP:
    • Electric Guitar.
    • Bass Guitar.
    • Drums.
    • Cello & Double Bass.
    • A Rapper Mic/ Sound Box?
    • Saxophone

Crossover with other EP's:
    • Bands performance level will influence the Fame system in GF.
    • A Sim with a DU degree in Fine Art or Drama will get higher pay out for completed gigs.
    • Gigs will be added to the calendar in Seasons.
    • Create a Merch. Store via GTW retail.

I can see this as part of an EP as I'm aware it takes a considerable amount of resources to record music for different genres at different levels in different combinations and create animations based on each variant.

But hey, it would be nice.

ETA: I'd like to add that a world with music venues and stages could (should) be part of this EP.
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Yaaas great ideas!! I agree with everything, but I do hope that we can get a specific university Degree in music. (It makes no sense that your sim needs to become an excellent painter to succeed as a guitarist :/ ). Thanks for putting all this together! :)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I copy paste this one in almost all music/ band dedicated threads:

Bands and Musical Ensembles.
    • A system very like the GT Club mechanics will give a player the option to form a band or a musical group.
    • A sim with enough skill in a particular instrument can start a band or ensemble and start a band practice.
    • A band or group with high enough band skill will be able to organize a gig, or attract a manager who will organize gigs for them.
    • A band may be invited to play at a Wedding or other Event.
    • A band or group will receive ratings based on their performance and music sales.
    • The group can give their revenue a boost with sales in merchandise.

Some bands or ensembles that can be created:
    • Rock/ Indie/ (Synth) Pop band.
    • Hip Hop/Rap group.
    • Choir. (kids,classical, gospel)
    • String Quartet.

Instruments and skills that currently exist but can be used in combination:
    • Piano.(BG) Synth (CL)
    • Acoustic Guitar. (BG)
    • Violin.(BG).
    • Singing. (CL)
    • Organ. (Vampires).

Instruments and skills to be added to such an EP:
    • Electric Guitar.
    • Bass Guitar.
    • Drums.
    • Cello & Double Bass.
    • A Rapper Mic/ Sound Box?
    • Saxophone

Crossover with other EP's:
    • Bands performance level will influence the Fame system in GF.
    • A Sim with a DU degree in Fine Art or Drama will get higher pay out for completed gigs.
    • Gigs will be added to the calendar in Seasons.
    • Create a Merch. Store via GTW retail.

I can see this as part of an EP as I'm aware it takes a considerable amount of resources to record music for different genres at different levels in different combinations and create animations based on each variant.

But hey, it would be nice.

ETA: I'd like to add that a world with music venues and stages could (should) be part of this EP.

I would sooo buy this!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • dirty_milosdirty_milos Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2021
    Plum the plum skills and careeres and traits and festivals, we need an actual music band pack which would allow us to create our own custom music! That means, we need leading vocals and backing vocals, leading instrumentals and backing instrumentals, and most importantly - we need tools to synchronize them. And some new music instruments, like bass guitar, set of drums, strings, flute, and the like.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited March 2021
    The way I use most features in the game is by combining them to create my own narratives, and am usually not very interested in the fixed features such as specific careers, more what I could do with the little things surrounding them, so to speak. I would buy a musical pack, and your ideas are all fine, but the way I would want it to work would be to make these things possible:

For sims to be able to stand on a stage performing, without having money thrown at them.
    That should only be done for a street performer, it could perhaps be tied to that object instead of to the performance. It is tacky to throw money at an opera singer in a concert hall for instance, no one would do that, and I would appreciate if the feature was reworked.

That the sims watching the Live Entertainment would sit down, if chairs were provided.
    There are differences between concerts: at pop or jazz concerts the audience can stand up and loudly appreciate the band; but at a classic piece performance, they sit down, quietly. I want to be able to stage all kinds of different performances.

That the sims watching the performance does not have to be so close to the performer.
    I want to be able to make a proper stage, by a plattform and some chairs in front of it, but a bit away from it, just like in real life. In a theatre hall or amphi theater, the sims sitting in the far away places should be able to do the action Watch Live Entertainment, without having to run in front of the performer.

More varied additions of song and musical pieces.
    Performers, both musicians and singers, should be able to perform pieces from many more musical genres than there now exists in the game. I would appreciate opera, jazz, and folk music.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,381 Member
    The way I use most features in the game is by combining them to create my own narratives, and am usually not very interested in the fixed features such as specific careers, more what I could do with the little things surrounding them, so to speak. I would buy a musical pack, and your ideas are all fine, but the way I would want it to work would be to make these things possible:

For sims to be able to stand on a stage performing, without having money thrown at them.
    That should only be done for a street performer, it could perhaps be tied to that object instead of to the performance. It is tacky to throw money at an opera singer in a concert hall for instance, no one would do that, and I would appreciate if the feature was reworked.

I play similar style and this bothers me as well, especially when I hire a sim specifically to play at some venue. Playing for tips should be a separate interaction not a given whenever someone plays an instrument. Maybe they could add different interactions that would generate different behavior from the audience. People behave differently at a rock concert than at a classical music concert and yes, they should keep their distance and stay at least two tiles away from the performer unless they are mobbing him/her because of their celebrity status.
    edited March 2021

That the sims watching the Live Entertainment would sit down, if chairs were provided.
    There are differences between concerts: at pop or jazz concerts the audience can stand up and loudly appreciate the band; but at a classic piece performance, they sit down, quietly. I want to be able to stage all kinds of different performances.

That the sims watching the performance does not have to be so close to the performer.
    I want to be able to make a proper stage, by a plattform and some chairs in front of it, but a bit away from it, just like in real life. In a theatre hall or amphi theater, the sims sitting in the far away places should be able to do the action Watch Live Entertainment, without having to run in front of the performer.

More varied additions of song and musical pieces.
    Performers, both musicians and singers, should be able to perform pieces from many more musical genres than there now exists in the game. I would appreciate opera, jazz, and folk music.

Yeah they really need to fix so we can have functional stages and the audience need to behave adequate for the style of music/concert. One way could be if they add 2 new lot types: Fine concert hall -sims sitting down and enjoying the music and a Stadium -sims standing up/for bands???)
    And yes to more music genres!!!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited March 2021
    I would love a lot trait that would encourage sims to sit down to watch a performance, be it singing, playing, theatrical acting, movies etc; and to keep their attention on it for approximately a sim hour, without the need to wander about. The lot trait could then be used for theatres, cinemas, concert halls, etc. TS3 had the option to add/not add seatings to the festival lot (I believe it was), and by that controlling the sims behaviour: if chairs were added, the sims used them, if not, they stood up. So the lot trait could theoretically have this as a double feature.
  • RenildoJrRenildoJr Posts: 1 New Member
    All I want is a keytar with 80s songs. Like “take on me”, “jump” or “don’t you (forget about me)”. Make it a kit, expansion, stuff pack, whatever. I’ve given up on complaining about EA’s macrotransaction policy. Just give me more retro crap and we call it even. Yours, R
  • amaniaaaamaniaaa Posts: 58 Member
    edited April 2021
    This is something that I would LOVE to see:
    • writing lyrics, creating a melody, recording, and releasing singles (and albums)
    • record deals, labels, and managers (good and bad, could be done similarly to acting agencies menu but differently to acting, you would be able to make music without a record deal or manager)
    • promoting singles (and albums)
    • music charts (if our song will be in the 1st to 10th place we would be invited to receive an award and perform)
    • improved followers and also platforms for artists (SimTube, Simsify, etc.)
    • stage names (similar to The Sims 3 system, optional)
    • performing in venues (similar to The Sims 3 system where you need to sing for an owner in order to be paid for the performance with an option of regular performances. If we'd have a manager, they would send us messages with opportunities to perform somewhere)
    • creating concerts and tours (you will need to pay (or your record label if you have one) in order to schedule a concert or an entire concert tour in special venues, depending on how many people bought the tickets and how much money you spent (or how much % your record label took) you will earn a certain amount of money)
    • new radio station with mixed genres and also a chance for songs created by our Sims to appear in this radio channel
    Post edited by amaniaaa on
  • Clarity88Clarity88 Posts: 11 New Member
    I love this suggestion! This is something I've wished would happen for a long time.

I would love to see children and teenagers participating in ensembles too. Band and orchestra would be nice as after-school activities (as a sidenote, after-school activities with various sports or groups would also be cool). Perhaps they could be treated like careers or somehow have a reward for progressing in skill. Teenagers (and Adults?) could form a garage band with friends, and maybe the songwriting system could be comparable in design to Sims writing and publishing their own books.

I'd love to see the addition of orchestral and jazz instruments too! I'd love to place an interactive harp in my Sims' living room or hire a jazz trio or string quartet for an event, and the inclusion of woodwind, brass, strings, and percussion would be great!

I love the concept of career paths branching into classical or popular music. Hopefully, this sort of pack could add that long-awaited upright piano to the game too! Additional build mode items such as music stands, home studio recording/sound engineering equipment, and a record player (and music-related decor/clutter) would be fun! I also really like how @carpe_diem structures proposed Entertainer career adjustments to include freelance or "regular" jobs.

I think this would work very well as a Game Pack, but even a Stuff Pack with more instrument options would be a great start!
    edited July 2021
    Clarity88 wrote: »
    I love this suggestion! This is something I've wished would happen for a long time.

I would love to see children and teenagers participating in ensembles too. Band and orchestra would be nice as after-school activities (as a sidenote, after-school activities with various sports or groups would also be cool). Perhaps they could be treated like careers or somehow have a reward for progressing in skill. Teenagers (and Adults?) could form a garage band with friends, and maybe the songwriting system could be comparable in design to Sims writing and publishing their own books.

I'd love to see the addition of orchestral and jazz instruments too! I'd love to place an interactive harp in my Sims' living room or hire a jazz trio or string quartet for an event, and the inclusion of woodwind, brass, strings, and percussion would be great!

I love the concept of career paths branching into classical or popular music. Hopefully, this sort of pack could add that long-awaited upright piano to the game too! Additional build mode items such as music stands, home studio recording/sound engineering equipment, and a record player (and music-related decor/clutter) would be fun! I also really like how @carpe_diem structures proposed Entertainer career adjustments to include freelance or "regular" jobs.

I think this would work very well as a Game Pack, but even a Stuff Pack with more instrument options would be a great start!

@Clarity88
    Yeah I miss the upright piano! Also think they could change the painting career too a freelance career, that would make more sense and give more gameplay to it (there was no freelance careers back in 2014). They could merge gig for painting, sculpturing, pot making, etc. Maybe things like Go to this rich and creepy old man's house and paint his portait or paint Mr. Crumplebottom at the river in willow creek or Make a sculpture off this crazy cat lad's beloved cat.

It's a very fun idea with the option to hire a string quartet / jazz trio / band! Maybe you could hire one of the bands in your save file to a wedding / birthday party, that wouold be awesome! :)

Also hope that we would have the ability to have a regular job AND one or several freelance careers. So you can work as a waitress and also complete gigs as a freelance musican and a freelance enteratainer. That would bring some realism hehe. :D:'(

• Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    I think more an artistic EP than a bands only.

Drums, saxophone and bass are a must, also bands.

Magicians and acrobats from TS3 can fit too.

Break dance mat from TS2.

Mimes and Gabby The Mime as returning NPC from TS1.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    These are all wonderful ideas. I'd like to see the singing career pulled out a little more as well like a solo singer or singer in a band. Music options for all of it should be popular and or classical music styles, it could fit in with likes/dislikes.

Career paths could include Singer or Vocalist: where your sim could be Soloist or Singer in a group or band. A choral option would be cool too. The sims could practice/perform or play in impromptu combinations like duets, trios, bands, orchestras, and choirs, instrumental or vocal only or both together. Opportunity for some lovely vocal harmonizing as well (I love, love the country duet on the karaoke machine).

Musical styles must include Rock n Roll band, Blues, classical ensemble variations, Punk Rock band, Metal band, Jazz, Hip Hop, Pop with genre appropriate stage wardrobes and makeup to match.

I'd also prefer that the music/bands pack not be crammed into a small stuff pack but made into a bigger game pack at the very least.
  • SimmerNSSimmerNS Posts: 24 Member
    As awesome as a band pack will be I think its more likely we will see new instruments in future packs and base game refreshes. Its kind of tricky to have a band pack because the singing skill from city living will have to become base game which means city living comes with no skills. I'm not sure how it would work but hey, maybe one day.
  • Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited February 2022
    Ok, there's mine, a new version of TS3 Showtime so you can expect more than only bands and musical instruments
    • New world of course!
    • New musical instruments, each with a skill: bass, drums, saxophone, flute and harp
    • Portable keyboard
    • Mimes and Gabby The Mime!
    • Teen sims can form bands in their homes and play with friends!
    • Break dance mat
    • New careers: acrobat, singer and magician
    • New lot type: stage
    • New skills: karate and ballet. Not related with bands or musical instrument but better than a dedicated kit!
    • New objects: bass, drums, saxophone, flute, harp, box of mystery, high bar, ballet barre, breaking boards and others!
    • New build features: attic rooms! Also as BG update
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I too would love everything that Sims 3 Showtime had put into Sims 4. Plus, the Genies. :p
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    So many great ideas! I would particularly love a freelance musician career as it is my sim's dream job, particularly if it involves teaching music/singing as well as performing/singing, recording and writing songs. I would also love bands, an opera house, more radio stations (e.g. opera, showtunes, R&B) and musical instruments (e.g. lute, harp). An upright piano would be great too.
  • ItalStewItalStew Posts: 30 Member
    I'd like to create Reggae bands and/or groups for functions. This feature would provide perfect entertainment at wedding receptions, particularly with the imminent game pack release. I think that was a bit of a missed opportunity there! Definitely something that adds to the occasion. Anyway.. In order to do this accurately; I'm going to need some more instruments, with the saxophone, trumpet and trombone being notable omissions from the game. All three are needed to replicate the perfect horns section, but I reckon I'll happily take one at this point. Djembe drum is on my wishlist too and I did mention it elsewhere on this forum. Hoping the Reggae radio station can finally return, who can forget Damian Marley's Welcome To Jamrock from The Sims 2? Awesome! It'd be great to hear the likes of Skanking Sweet by Chronixx or Lightning by Mortimer in simlish.
    All of what has been listed by others before me would tie-in so well with City Living, Get Together and Get Famous. The Sims Sessions music festival showed promise and most people look to The Sims 3: Showcase as the blueprint, so there's something to build on here. Fingers crossed we can all return to this thread later on in the year, knowing we got our wish eventually.