Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not all sims should be scared of thunderstorms

Felicia_QueensFelicia_Queens Posts: 69 Member
edited February 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Not everyone is afraid of storms. I actually love them. I do not currently know any adults who are afraid of storms. Not all pets are afraid of storms, either. I've had a few who were, but most of my dogs and cats have never batted an eye at thunder. Yet in the game, fear is the default setting for all sims when reacting to storms. I think there needs to be some tweaking here. It's too heavy handed in making sims fear thunder.

Toddlers and children, sure. I used to hate storms when I was little, but somewhere around 8 or so, that faded away and ever since I have had a deep appreciation for their beauty and power. Maye some teen and adult sims never grow out of it, sure,but it should not be the default reaction for every sim in the game. I have yet to see a sim not react to a storm with fear unless they have the Storm Chaser trait. IMO you shouldn't have to buy a reward trait or declare weather preference to like storms just to lose a fear.

Same with pets. Their fear reaction is more common than people, but again, not all. Please either adjust the tuning or tell us how we can do it ourselves, since there seems to be no mod for this now. Thanks!

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The Brave trait is supposed to reduce the chance your sims will be scared with anything, not eliminating it altogether but it's the least one's can do if mod have yet exist for this.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited February 2021
    This is why I use the stormmoodlettweak mod from bienchen. Most children and toddlers will fear thunderstorms, and only some adult sims like squeamish sims will fear thunderstorms with that mod.

The brave trait is nice, but costs 8000 satisfaction points, the season reward traits are cheaper but I'm not sure if they work for fear over thunderstorms.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    The storm chaser reward stops sims from being afraid of thunderstorms. It's only 1000 points.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Not everyone is afraid of storms. I actually love them. I do not currently know any adults who are afraid of storms. Not all pets are afraid of storms, either. I've had a few who were, but most of my dogs and cats have never batted an eye at thunder. Yet in the game, fear is the default setting for all sims when reacting to storms. I think there needs to be some tweaking here. It's too heavy handed in making sims fear thunder.

Toddlers and children, sure. I used to hate storms when I was little, but somewhere around 8 or so, that faded away and ever since I have had a deep appreciation for their beauty and power. Maye some teen and adult sims never grow out of it, sure,but it should not be the default reaction for every sim in the game. I have yet to see a sim not react to a storm with fear unless they have the Storm Chaser trait. IMO you shouldn't have to buy a reward trait or declare weather preference to like storms just to lose a fear.

Same with pets. Their fear reaction is more common than people, but again, not all. Please either adjust the tuning or tell us how we can do it ourselves, since there seems to be no mod for this now. Thanks!

You can tune it yourself with the storm chaser trait you mentioned or the brave trait that was mentioned by izecson, and there’s the mod mentioned by logion. No need for devs to come into the game and steal things from us that we paid for. Thanks. No more nerfing!
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited February 2021
    One of my sims doesn't seem to be scared of thunderstorms, at least not so far. He doesn't have the storm chaser or brave trait, so I'm not sure why. Perhaps because he has the loves outdoors trait? My grand master vampire is scared of them though, which I find kind of funny and cute. I will probably give him the brave trait eventually, but I am enjoying the new scared emotion. I can understand why some may find all their sims being scared of thunderstorms silly, but I don't personally mind using reward traits. I just want to be in control of what my sims are scared of. I only wish my toddler sim was scared of thunderstorms too, but they only make her sad.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yeah, I really dislike the fact nearly every Sim is afraid of thunderstorms. The fact it's nearly universal unless you have specific traits makes the game feel childish; these are supposed to be adult Sims?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021
    it's why the sims need a personality rework. i'd love if we could choose our sims fears, or if traits had more of an impact and didn't conflict with emotions. right now all sims feel the same cuz they all act the same, everything is too watered down. i understand it's for people to control their sims how they want however if sims learnt over time how the player makes decisions for them, and they adapted these decisions and made them autonomously, then it would be smart. but no matter what personality you want to give to your sims, cuz in the end you have no real control over them, their dumb AI makes the decisions for you. at least we got the brave reward trait to counteract random fears, i guess devs are aware of these issues & it's why they didn't add the possibility of die from fear.
  • NeuroticanarchyNeuroticanarchy Posts: 4 New Member
    (new to the forums, or at least have not been here for some time, so hi)
    to be honest, I like the scared emotion and the interactions with it. it's fun. but not with thunderstorms. it gets old with the first thunderstorm and from that point onward just gets more and more annoying. I preferred tense, because it was less loud. I agree very much with the sentiment that sims need more personality. sims are way too similar. emotions should not be the exact same for everyone. autonomy should not be the exact same for everyone. whims should not be the exact same for everyone. it is all just fine at best, infuriating at its worst. I would prefer a system that would randomly assign general and trait-independent interests, whims and fears, and there being a reward store potion or some other way to let the player delete or swap out what they want.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    To be fair, I do think all Sims should be afraid of being outside in a storm. Lightning is no joke and self preservation should be the base state players tune for their own playstyles.

Personally, I think storms can be beautiful and am perfectly content during them-- In my house. So I am rather content to leave it as is with storm chaser and brave as my opt out options.
  • Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2021
    logion wrote: »
    This is why I use the stormmoodlettweak mod from bienchen. Most children and toddlers will fear thunderstorms, and only some adult sims like squeamish sims will fear thunderstorms with that mod.
    Yeah, this sounds great, and should probably be the standard behavior in vanilla.
    RedShoe7 wrote: »
    The storm chaser reward stops sims from being afraid of thunderstorms. It's only 1000 points.
    It shouldn't require special traits tho.
    Calico45 wrote: »
    To be fair, I do think all Sims should be afraid of being outside in a storm. Lightning is no joke and self preservation should be the base state players tune for their own playstyles.
    I think this is one of the situations where being Tense while outside during a storm actually fits better for regular adult Sims without the Storm Chaser reward trait. Only children, and adults with adequate traits should be Scared during a storm, regardless of whether they're inside or outside.
    Post edited by Lorenerd11 on
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    THIS. Every time it storms I get a sea of townies running from every which way to every other which way. It's ridiculous that so many Sims are scared of it considering all the traits that would make a sim too proud to run away in the first place 🤣 I hate how every kid is afraid of the monsters under the bed, too. If there were a monster under my bed, I think I'd make fast friends with it 👻
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I agree. There should be a gray area in between those who are scared and those who love storms. And most of the sims should fall into that gray area...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited February 2021
    Lorenerd11 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    Yeah, this sounds great, and should probably be the standard behavior in vanilla.

It's a great mod, I recently had a thunderstorm at the Akiyama household and their two kids were really scared, but I could calm them down because Kado and Jenna were calm. It made so much more sense and it also felt like it added to family gameplay.