Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampires - do you play them realistically?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
I've never been much into vampires, and have very little basic knowledge of their form and preferred environment, etc. But as I was designing the Coat of Arms for one of my two vampire clans, and originally thought red+silver was a cool combo, I suddenly got aware that vampires can be killed by silver and most likely would not have that color on their clan's CofA.

Then I decided to check my vampire lairs, and oh my oh my - I had placed silver objects like candelabras and what-not in most rooms! I decided to have anything silver replaced the next time I play them.

I googled a bit, and found there are also many plants and herbs - even flowers, that vampires should probably avoid. They are not dangerous, but contain substances that are harmful to bloodsucxxxkers. And I'm not only talking about garlic, but innocent stuff as Basil, lavender and lemons - and a lot more... I think my current vampires grow all of those and probably have filled their fridge to eat the harvest. What a bummer - those ingredients might actually harm their ability of sucking blood!!! I'll have a garden redo...

Here's a site I found that explains vampire repellents.

A quick excerpt: "Interestingly, all of the substances that irritate vampires are the very same ones that irritate other blood-sucking creatures, such as mosquitoes. Though the species are not in any way related, there appears to be a very strong connection in that they all seem to be irritated and/or repelled by the same chemicals.

What are these chemicals, you may ask? There are many common plants that have these chemicals in them. Rosemary, peppermint, clove, and cinnamon are all effective bloodsuxxcker repellents. To a slightly lesser extent cedar, geranium, pine, lavender, basil, and thyme also seem to be effective. One of the most effective repellents is anything "lemon" - including some plants related more by name than by genetics. Of course lemons themselves are effective, but also lemon eucalyptus, lemongrass, and citronella are powerful enough that the scent alone repels even the mightiest of bloodsuckers."

So - how are your vampires doing according to this? Do you unintentionally make them suffer on a daily basis?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I just play with sims 4 lore: garlic and sun are harmful. All of the rest would mean that i, as a player, would be the one who would have to give vampires the consequences. I try to avoid that kind of gameplay. I'm all for more consequences in-game.

I'm a big vampires fan. I've read and watched lots and lots of books, movies and series. What i've noticed (but i can be wrong) is that the lore varies a lot in different places and times, so i don't try to be strict as i think there isn't a consensual and strict set of rules, behaviours and consequences.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I guess it depends on what Pop Culture vampire reference do you choose. I prefer vamps as portrayed in Hunger (1983) movie with Bowie & Deneuve. Or as shown in Vampire the Masquerade universe (both PC and tabletop games).

So as Telmarina mentioned above I mostly stick to given in-game limitations for what is dangerous to them as depending on source this information can vary. And then I rather try to give them not universal but individual weaknesses like preferring the blood of only blonde women or being that old that they are hard to adapt to modern world and can't use electronics or just being cold-blooded sociopaths )))
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Vampire lore is vast and varies by culture, history, literature, mythology, art and pop culture. You will find many different theories and superstitions, some of which will contradict each other, so feel free to run with the ones you like.

Since we are able to create different types of Vampires, I like to use many different lores with them. Some are daywalkers who seem more human, others are the monsters in the night. I just use the game's built in weaknesses and powers to mold each Vampire individually and keep a variety in my game.

I save the silver for Werewolves, I feel like it's more common in pop culture.
    #Team Occult
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    preferring the blood of only blonde women or being that old that they are hard to adapt to modern world and can't use electronics or just being cold-blooded sociopaths )))

Hmm i like this as some kind of goals for a challenge...
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Vampires are completly harmless these days, not even breaking into my Sims lots, so it is impossible to play them according to their nature
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Depends on the vampire. I mean the premades are already of three types: Nosferatu (Vlad), Daywalker (Lilith), Twilight (Caleb).

I tend to stay within an archetype, which means they vary depending on what I play, but most of the time I play the seductive night hunter type with a scary / ugly dark form.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited February 2021
    The things we research for our sims :) I tend to use only one third or so of what I learn about the topics I look up, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I don't play vampires at the moment, but when I did, I went with the lore from The dark eye rpg, where vampires are created by getting cursed by a god and express weaknesses related to that deity. Therefore they all had the base package of the ingame limitations plus weaknesses specific to my own lore (one had water and horses from Poseidon, another one babies/toddlers from either Kronos or Grey Lady). The problem here is that the moment the game uses my sims as townies it might put them into dangerous situations that I might have avoided when playing them myself and then, bamm, it's enforced hibernation for them.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021
    hmm i don't know, the only vamps i have for now are Caleb & Vlad. Caleb is just the vampire version of Don, and i made Vlad a teen cuz i have a dramatic story planned for him, i'm trying to make it historical so i guess it counts as "realistic" vampire gameplay.
    i deleted Lilith but will get her back cuz i have something planned for her as well.

i'm not a vampire expert so i have no idea about this really but they're so well done on ts4 that i include them on all my saves.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    edited February 2021
    Overall, my vampires maintain the garlic and sun weakness but I don't necessarily buy them additional powers. For "master vampire" sims, i have a rule that they stay in Dark form at all times. This causes them to attack quite frequently. It also creates unfortunate storylines like a Sim comes to visit her daughter who has become a vampire - they have a nice conversation and a lot of laughs - the daughter goes to bed and wakes up as mother is leaving and attacks her autonomously.

This was their last happy moment together...

E8ToOwl.png

and the end of Cherie Walsh

nCo10mh.png

Rest in Peace

Dt9qXOM.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I play my vampire according to nouveau vampire from Buffy the vampire slayer lore, so no garlic or sunlight damage
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited February 2021
    Ai, so cool to learn about al these ways to play vampires! I didn't even know there are different "schools" and traditions regarding this. I always thought vampires were based on the (Transylvanian?) Count Dracula. I agree that it's easier to stay with what actually gives consequencies re game, and I won't make lots of pretended result if my vamp eat a lemon etc, I'll just use some of that as a guideline for their interior, especially Silver. I mean, a vamp would never hang a silver cross on the wall even if it would have no game effect (and we probably don't even have a silver cross...).

In my game there are two clans, one is the bloodsuxxxcking traditional trad lead by House of Straud, while the other is newer, the Modern vamp clan, avoiding feeding from sims and trying to live as normal sims by sleeping at night, leaded by House of Gorgel. The clans have a battle every 15th (?) year that will end by one losing vampire will be sacrificed to sunlight. It's a way to keep the number down as all their children so far have been born vampires, even if their other parent is human.

PS: Here are all my 13 played vampires as from my online sims registry :)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Quite by accident, I have created 2 powerful vampire families, Vatore and Bellefleur with about 13 vampires in the 2 families. They all reside in Forgotten Hollow and there are enough lots to accommodate all the members. They are part of a more progressive movement to mainstream all vampires in the Sim Nation, therefore there are no spooky, dark houses and you won't get attacked in FH as all vamps grow their own plasma fruit and do business with "regulars." They are very stylish, preferring carpeting to cold stone floors, more sophisticated and worldly than their more barbarian cousins. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Using the word "realistically" in the same sentence as "vampire" is a bit of a laugh. It depends on the mythology one recognizes. For me, I play mine with morals and ethics that are comparable to humans. On average.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Using the word "realistically" in the same sentence as "vampire" is a bit of a laugh. It depends on the mythology one recognizes. For me, I play mine with morals and ethics that are comparable to humans. On average.

LOL, yes I noticed after posting. And even more fun is it that it took this long until it was commented on :)
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited February 2021

LOL, yes I noticed after posting. And even more fun is it that it took this long until it was commented on :)

i put "realistic" on quotes on my other comment exactly for this reason lol
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I usually make them sunresistant, but tend to give them the day phobia weakness, so they are always grumpy during the day...in my mind sunlight isnt lethal to them but it weakens them (I think that is also how it is in Bram Stoker's Dracula...at least for the Count himself).
    Garlic doesnt really matter, cuz non of my not-vamp sims use it anyway.

I used to have alot of vampires, that just lived like normal humans, only looking a bit too pale...but in my new game I try using them less, still having variety tho, also I use the lifestate to create occults that are not in game (yet) like a ghoul and a werewolve.
    Oh, and I always have their dark form lookin like the normal form...never liked the idea of transforming vamps (other than turning into bats).
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

The clans have a battle every 15th (?) year that will end by one losing vampire will be sacrificed to sunlight.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    grow their own plasma fruit and do business with "regulars." [...] sophisticated [...(vs)...] barbarian

I'm into writting my own vampire challenge right now, and this is going to be part of it. Love this ideas!
    Using the word "realistically" in the same sentence as "vampire" is a bit of a laugh.

Who knows...? 🧛‍♀️🙃
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yes, there are many vampire lores and no people has the right to tell which one is true or not since we still dont even know whether the vampire is real lol, anyway you can have nosferatu lore, twilight lore, buffy's lore or the vampire diaries lore, it just depends on player playstyle.

I mostly play buffy's one for Sims 4 (bat face, no brow, yellow/red eye, mostly evil), but Twilight for the previous series.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    In my mind vampirism affects different sims in a different way. So some of them are weak to sunlight or garlic while others are not.
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited February 2021
    @Simmerville
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEuxOBV7Hw
    Did you know? The Vampire Outbreak also took place in mostly North East of USA? On that time the cure was burn the heart of the deceased than eat the ash of the heart. The ritual was sponsored by The Local Community Church of Suburbia. Wow, talk about the rewrite of Vampire Diary or Twilight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Similar to others, I use what I can in the game to play with different lore for different Sims, going on the assumption that being turned affects them all differently.

I love vampires and have read soooo many books. I've watched a lot of movies too, but I'm a prolific reader. Lol. There are a lot of similarities between them, but a lot of fun little differences too. Makes it possible to read nothing but vampire books and not have them be identical.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    My vampires are boring. They’re just like humans but on a special diet of plasma packs. If I have them feed on humans the whole world some how knows about it and constantly annoys me via texts even if I have them feed in private.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I'm not sure what do you mean by realistically in the game. For me, I've got my first vampire from the dark ley line lot trait. She was born from a normal Sims parent. Her twin brother is a normal Sims. As of now, I mostly are playing the vampires that are born from my founder. She also has vampire children & a normal child. I randomise their powers, traits, & aspirations. I don't play any sort of challenges. Just my own rules & challenge.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    My vampires are boring. They’re just like humans but on a special diet of plasma packs. If I have them feed on humans the whole world some how knows about it and constantly annoys me via texts even if I have them feed in private.

That is incredibly annoying. For my vampires that feed off of other Sims, unless they are evil, I will periodically cheat their reputation back to neutral. And since I delete random townies all the time, there aren't many Sims left around that will hate them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    I don't have a set way to play my Vampire sims. If they are hungry, I have them stalk humans, and drink their plasma.
    So far, I had a Sim marry Caleb, and have two kids with him. I made a teen for them in CAS in edit family mode, and a baby born in-game. Both kids are girls. I have most of the family stalk humans and drink plasma when they need it. I made Caleb do it once, but he had a meltdown, so he is now the only Vampire in his family that doesn't go after humans for the plasma. I plan to have his in-game born daughter follow in his footsteps.
    For other Vampire Sims, I don't have a set plan for them yet.